Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Cloks posted:

I bought tickets to see the Apu restoration at OSU's Wexner Center this morning, somewhat because I thought it'd take forever to be released.

Still happy that I get to see it on the big screen.

Might see you there! I'm more than an hour south of Columbus, but I would like to make it up for at least the first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dr.Caligari posted:

Might see you there! I'm more than an hour south of Columbus, but I would like to make it up for at least the first

Cool! The Wexner theater is really nice but the screen is slightly off center and it's kind of cold, in case you haven't been.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess this technically isn't a question about buying Criterions, but I have a hulu subscription and I've been getting into Bergman lately. I wasn't in love with The Seventh Seal, but Persona and Cries and Whispers really blew me away. Where should I go next with Bergman? Hulu has plenty of options, Wild Strawberries, The Magician, The Silence, Virgin Spring, and several others I've never heard of. Are there any that I definitely shouldn't miss that maybe aren't talked about that much? I hear a lot of good things about Wild Strawberries.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I like Through a Glass Darkly quite a bit.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You should definitely check out Fanny and Alexander, either the TV or theatrical version. I prefer the TV version but you might not want to devote 5-ish hours to it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Swagger Dagger posted:

You should definitely check out Fanny and Alexander, either the TV or theatrical version. I prefer the TV version but you might not want to devote 5-ish hours to it.

Eh, I say why gently caress around. I put all four episodes on my queue and I'll just split it up over like three nights.

Through a Glass Darkly sounds really good too. Bergman likes when people go to isolated places to deal with trauma doesn't he?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Seconding all the other Bergman recommendations - the TV version of Fanny and Alexander in particular. I also love Smiles of a Summer Night and Hour of the Wolf.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I guess this technically isn't a question about buying Criterions, but I have a hulu subscription and I've been getting into Bergman lately. I wasn't in love with The Seventh Seal, but Persona and Cries and Whispers really blew me away. Where should I go next with Bergman? Hulu has plenty of options, Wild Strawberries, The Magician, The Silence, Virgin Spring, and several others I've never heard of. Are there any that I definitely shouldn't miss that maybe aren't talked about that much? I hear a lot of good things about Wild Strawberries.

lot of good ones there, but Wild Strawberries should absolutely be your next stop. short, accessible, and arguably his best movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lot of good ones there, but Wild Strawberries should absolutely be your next stop. short, accessible, and arguably his best movie.

Yea I'll probably watch that tonight and save Fanny and Alexander for this weekend when I have more time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'll probably watch that tonight and save Fanny and Alexander for this weekend when I have more time.

my advice on his long ones:

-always do the full TV version.
-Fanny & Alexander i watched all in one day with a short (maybe an hour) break halfway through. it was pretty overwhelming, but felt like a great way to watch that movie.
-Scenes From a Marriage i did differently: it's divided into five hour long episodes, and i watched one a night for five days. this was maybe even more overwhelming, and felt like the absolute ideal way of watching that movie (probably similar to how it was originally viewed on Swedish tv.
-poo poo gets very heavy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

-poo poo gets very heavy.

I feel like I probably experienced some of the worst of it with Cries and Whispers, although its not one of his long films. Very tempting to turn away from the screen at certain points.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like I probably experienced some of the worst of it with Cries and Whispers, although its not one of his long films. Very tempting to turn away from the screen at certain points.

oh yeah, that's one of the ones i haven't seen but by all accounts it's his most brutal

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The first time I watched Scenes (the three hour cut, which I prefer for how unrelenting it is) was possibly the most emotionally shell-shocked I've ever been by a film.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Fanny and Alexander is the greatest movie ever made so yeah you should watch it soon and watch the TV version for sure.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Besides maybe my Kurosawa ones Fanny & Alexander might be my favorite Criterion.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

FitFortDanga posted:

Ikiru - another easy upgrade, definite purchase

Huh. This is one of those films I think I just assumed was already on blu-ray.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Can't wait for HD tears.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Saw Tales of Hoffman at the Wexner Center earlier tonight. If Criterion ever gets the rights back and includes subtitles, I'd buy it but man is it ever unintelligible. Lavish production though, an absolute joy to watch.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Criterion's 25-film Zatoichi BD/DVD collection on sale for $97.99, more than half-off MSRP

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DetoxP posted:

Fanny and Alexander is the greatest movie ever made so yeah you should watch it soon and watch the TV version for sure.

So I just finished episode 2 last night and its really hitting all the right notes for me. There's a whole cast of characters and I find them all really interesting, in fact Alexander may be the least interesting character of them all. The first episode was just hypnotic, I couldn't take my eyes of the screen. When I got into Bergman I had heard mostly about his earlier work, so I didn't expect the colors in some of these films to be so stunning. The family's house where they have the Christmas dinner is just breathtaking, the scenes were fun to watch even when nothing much was going on. And really, there's always something going on, because every character gets fleshed out and examined so that every single shot has some sort of characterization in it.

This Bergman guy was a genius, who knew?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Basebf555 posted:

So I just finished episode 2 last night and its really hitting all the right notes for me. There's a whole cast of characters and I find them all really interesting, in fact Alexander may be the least interesting character of them all. The first episode was just hypnotic, I couldn't take my eyes of the screen. When I got into Bergman I had heard mostly about his earlier work, so I didn't expect the colors in some of these films to be so stunning. The family's house where they have the Christmas dinner is just breathtaking, the scenes were fun to watch even when nothing much was going on. And really, there's always something going on, because every character gets fleshed out and examined so that every single shot has some sort of characterization in it.

This Bergman guy was a genius, who knew?

I just finished episode 2 this morning and feel exactly the same way. Looks like part 3 is short, so I should have time to get that in today as well.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I have this set, and highly recommend it to any fan of the genre/film-series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm probably an idiot, but I was on the fence about this until I found out Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo exists. Now it'll be here friday. :shepspends:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Now that the sale hype has died down, if anyone is interested in trading Criterion DVDs (no Blu-Ray here), here's what I'm willing to part with:

-The Hidden Fortress (old style case)
-Vengeance Is Mine
-Red River
-The Shooting/Ride in the Whirlwind
-Things to Come

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gilda

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Who has seen the Sabu! Eclipse set? Are there any standouts?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

MacheteZombie posted:

Seconding this. Overall a great collection. There is a movie or two towards the end that are iffy, however there are a lot more great movies and times when I was really impressed.

There is a formula and they do not stray from it. It is best to approach it as a series with 90 minute stand alone episodes. Spread them out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I forget, when criterion.com does its 50% off flash sales do pre-orders count? Assuming they do another one in Sept/Oct it'd be nice to grab Ikiru and Mulholland Dr..

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Nate RFB posted:

I forget, when criterion.com does its 50% off flash sales do pre-orders count?

No.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Amazon has preorders for Ikiru and MD for 22.49 each and Apu for 49.99 FYI.

E: as well as other Criterions but those are the heavy hitters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I saw that Apu, something I was definitely interested in as a blind-buy, was down that low so I just put it all together with one big pre-order since the prices worked out to be just about a flash sale's worth anyway.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The creator of the Criterion Collection just died at the age of 88: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/14/theater/william-becker-who-transformed-janus-films-dies-at-88.html?_r=0

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

:rip: dude. Thanks for making a company that introduced me to many cool movies.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's a drat shame. RIP.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

December releases:
Speedy
Jellyfish Eyes
Burroughs: The Movie
Downhill Racer (Blu upgrade)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

they did tease at the beginning of the year that they were doing Inside Llewyn Davis, right? that still happening?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Huh, Murakami made a movie? It looks like it wasn't super well-regarded.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Huh, Murakami made a movie? It looks like it wasn't super well-regarded.
Not enough ejaculation or lactation.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Egbert Souse posted:

Burroughs: The Movie

How is this film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

December releases:

Jellyfish Eyes

Only thing I want to check out, but no way am I blind buying it.

I thought Welles's Othello was coming this year, or did somebody screw that up like "Other Side of the Wind" appears to be getting screwed up again?