Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

holy poo poo they've actually gone loving mental. Took longer than I expected at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Mortimer posted:

How would you even make mainland morrowind without infringing on bethesda's IP though? Travel to Balmalexia in the continent of Borrowind, visit the tomb of Berevar Bindoril or plunder Bwemer citadels (okay they can probably use Dwemer no problem). Isn't there some line of text in the CS that says "technically we own everything made with this"?

Also the guy doing it is Swiftoak, with Sload's approval :thumbsup:

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24996

Here's a PDF to their plan, it is :freep: levels of insane

Yeah, if they think they can sell it they're flat out morons. By law, anything that even touches the Creation Kit (or Construction Set since we're pre-Skyrim) is bound to not be sold. Technically I think most mods are actually 'illegal' if they include modified Bethesda assets like models or textures, it's just stupid to enforce that and Bethesda's been pretty reasonable.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
"We need to work like a game studio!" .. that seems to be kinda.. impossible considering. And working like a game studio is more likely to have more people quit than fewer.

edit: Does anyone know how to set up better-bodies clothes correctly? I want to edit the original ESP to fix the horrible mess that's the Mara's set (terrible textures, terrible meshes, clips with everything, full of fail), and replace it with the BB versions of the clothing that the vanilla set used? I can manage to make it use the vanilla meshes, but I haven't been able to properly set up things so the outfit uses the BB versions of the vanilla meshes.

Moryrie fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 13, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

Since there is still a dependency on vanilla assets, the asset file for Tamriel Rebuilt will be generated during the install process. A user must have a legally licensed copy of the original game (during install only), in order for the installer file to read the Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon BSA files, and extract the relevant assets. The installer will then combine the extracted assets alongside our own TR assets into a single archive file.

They're rube-goldberging it pretty hard.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

That's not particularly crazy, it's how most fan-made engines work, it's even how Morroblivion worked once upon a time (not sure if it still does). Legally speaking it clears the air because someone in theory shouldn't be able to play TR without a copy of Morrowind.

Here's the skinny on TR now. Their new workflow isn't so offensive to me, apart from me blinking a few times at the lunacy that they post that it won't have anything to do with the vanilla Morrowind engine (which is itself a betrayal of its ideas as a mod) or OpenMW (which confuses me greatly, because if it's not the original engine I guess TR's going to make their own?). The thing that offends me most of all is that they seem to have gotten it into their heads that Bethesda somehow left Morrowind unfinished. That if Bethesda had the time and resources they would have made the game world consist of the entirety of the province. That THAT is the Morrowind that SHOULD exist, and by god it is now their sacred duty to MAKE it. Basically, they somehow now feel that TR is more than 'just a mod', 'just a fan project'. I am not making GBS threads you when I say that they legitimately believe that they are finishing what Bethesda started. If I could I would have flashing text saying 'this is what Tamriel Rebuilt actually believes'.

What deeply infuriates me about that isn't their outright dismissal of the greater mod community with their new "i guess you either mod for vanilla or for Tamriel Rebuilt now, but not both" attitude (though that is complete bullshit). It's that they're basically making GBS threads on what Bethesda did with Morrowind. Morrowind is, as nearly everyone in this thread will agree (or why else would you be here), a fantastic game. And yet TR has the gall to include in their mod platform 'if Bethesda includes anything from this mod that you contributed in a future TES game, they have the right to'. Like, loving what? Bethesda's going to see how wonderful and glorious Morrowind is now that TR has "done it right" and make it the new Morrowind? That Bethesda gives a flying poo poo what ANY modder makes?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

They had their 7 seconds of glory. Now the descent begins

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sky Shadowing posted:

That's not particularly crazy, it's how most fan-made engines work, it's even how Morroblivion worked once upon a time (not sure if it still does).

Morroblivion had to work like this because the Oblivion engine cannot read the Morrowind data files.

Tamriel Rebuilt, apparently, has to work like this because morrowind.exe (or openMW, whatever) cannot read the Morrowind data files either I guess... Like they could have something where Morrowind loads the Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon data files, and then it also load the TR stuff on top. As in, the way every other mod works, and the way TR itself worked back when it was relatively sane.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think TR should cut the bullshit and get to work.

I want my mainland zones.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

I think TR should cut the bullshit and get to work.

I want my mainland zones.

Most of the exteriors are released if you want cool areas to jump around

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

betting pool: what gets finished and released first? Tamriel Rebuilt or Skywind?

heat death of the Universe

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What a loving disaster. Their old plan was fine and cool with Bethesda as well so I don't see why this late in the game they've made the decision to poo poo everything up.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

the type of mod TR are going for actually worked for Nehrim. they made a standalone game based on Oblivion assets that needs Oblivion to be installed, but runs from its own directory and own .exe.

TR seems to have a chaotic history, but Team SureAI actually released a functional game.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sky Shadowing posted:

Here's the skinny on TR now. Their new workflow isn't so offensive to me, apart from me blinking a few times at the lunacy that they post that it won't have anything to do with the vanilla Morrowind engine (which is itself a betrayal of its ideas as a mod) or OpenMW (which confuses me greatly, because if it's not the original engine I guess TR's going to make their own?). The thing that offends me most of all is that they seem to have gotten it into their heads that Bethesda somehow left Morrowind unfinished. That if Bethesda had the time and resources they would have made the game world consist of the entirety of the province. That THAT is the Morrowind that SHOULD exist, and by god it is now their sacred duty to MAKE it. Basically, they somehow now feel that TR is more than 'just a mod', 'just a fan project'. I am not making GBS threads you when I say that they legitimately believe that they are finishing what Bethesda started. If I could I would have flashing text saying 'this is what Tamriel Rebuilt actually believes'.
I'm psychoanalyzing it based on nothing, and much credit to what they've accomplished, but I have a creeping theory that the project will always be in a state of unfinished limbo because that's what is appealing about it to the core members. They're modders who love working on mods and here's the biggest, most ambitious mod that they can work on forever. Like a self-licking lollipop.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Does MGSO just not work on windows 10? The installer keeps making GBS threads itself repeatedly.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm having issues with MGSO as well, on windows 7 though. After going through the installer the game just crashes whenever I hit new game.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Step one is to turn off the Steam Overlay or MW will poo poo itself.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Has anyone played with the latest version (0.36.1) of OpenMW? It sounds like it's almost feature-complete now, so I'm curious if it's in a state where it's actually playable. I want to replay Morrowind and I'm either going to use OpenMW or Morroblivion because I'm thoroughly sick of loving with Morrowind's old rear end engine.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I've been playing it off and on. It's totally playable and its stable. In fact, the recent switch from Ogre to OpenSceneGraph has pretty much tripled performance of the engine. I now get a solid 60 fps everywhere in Morrowind and I've never been able to do that before, even on original vanilla Morrowind. There are a few graphical quirks with the lighting at the moment but they're pretty minor and easy to ignore and in no way affect gameplay.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Playing with it myself seems really solid so far. The most annoying part is that the barely-noticeable loading stutter from Morrowind.exe becomes a 0.5-1 second "Loading Area" pause in OpenMW. Sounds like they don't have a background loader yet and it's not high priority. Still, it's a minor annoyance and a worthwhile trade for a new engine that just works and doesn't crash a lot.

Bold Marauder
Mar 27, 2011

And death will be our darling, and fear will be our name
so how did c0da turn out/what was it

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bold Marauder posted:

:shrug:

Is OpenMW to a point where you can just plug in mods and it goes? I haven't checked on it in ages.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this combat overhaul mod is shaping up to be a monster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c598kuusepk

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Orv posted:

:shrug:

Is OpenMW to a point where you can just plug in mods and it goes? I haven't checked on it in ages.

Its been like that for a solid year+ now

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

With the exception of mods that require MWSE, MCP, MGE, etc. obviously, things that change the way the engine/scripting works.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

AceSnyp3r posted:

Playing with it myself seems really solid so far. The most annoying part is that the barely-noticeable loading stutter from Morrowind.exe becomes a 0.5-1 second "Loading Area" pause in OpenMW. Sounds like they don't have a background loader yet and it's not high priority. Still, it's a minor annoyance and a worthwhile trade for a new engine that just works and doesn't crash a lot.

I installed the latest nightly build and it works great. I'm not noticing any really long pauses in the loading area screen, any longer than regular MW anyway (<1s). I pointed it at a stock Morrowind install from Steam as well as a heavily modded setup I had copied over as a backup a while back (which worked fine in regular Morrowind). Played a bit in and around Seyda Neen with no errors. Overall it's really slick (nice launcher, installer, setup wizard) and I am quite impressed, I had no idea it was that far along.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Oh yeah it's not excessive, still under 1s, but since there's not a background loader like in vanilla Morrowind, it loads cells on demand instead of pre-loading stuff (or maybe in a single thread? I don't know details). Basically OpenMW works like setting DontThreadLoad=1 in vanilla. And as far as ease of use goes, it beats the pants off any other solution. No need for code patches and bullshit, and it even has a built-in tool for managing load order and junk. I'm gonna keep playing with it and report any issues, but as it is, I think OpenMW might be the new best solution if you don't care about big compilations like MGSO.

Sikreci fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 20, 2015

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
If I give OpenMW a shot, will I still need MCP for Tamriel Rebuilt map expansion, solid roofs etc?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Bold Marauder posted:

Vivec's boyfriend rebooted the universe.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Sky Shadowing posted:

That if Bethesda had the time and resources they would have made the game world consist of the entirety of the province. That THAT is the Morrowind that SHOULD exist,

they were going to but basically it wasn't feasible

Were talking like way early in development I think, though.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

GuyUpNorth posted:

If I give OpenMW a shot, will I still need MCP for Tamriel Rebuilt map expansion, solid roofs etc?
Mods that require MGE, MCP, or MWSE won't work with OpenMW since OpenMW uses a different engine and can't be hacked in the same way. Since OpenMW is open-source, all the junk that required those weird hacks in the first place can theoretically be reimplemented in a much cleaner and more stable fashion, but it's up the mod authors to switch over. Until then, if you want all those crazy mods you still need to use the old Morrowind.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

AceSnyp3r posted:

Oh yeah it's not excessive, still under 1s, but since there's not a background loader like in vanilla Morrowind, it loads cells on demand instead of pre-loading stuff (or maybe in a single thread? I don't know details). Basically OpenMW works like setting DontThreadLoad=1 in vanilla. And as far as ease of use goes, it beats the pants off any other solution. No need for code patches and bullshit, and it even has a built-in tool for managing load order and junk. I'm gonna keep playing with it and report any issues, but as it is, I think OpenMW might be the new best solution if you don't care about big compilations like MGSO.

Oh yeah, I see what you're saying about the loading. But yeah, it seems to be really great as a drop in replacement. I guess MWSE doesn't work though? I'm not sure how much functionality I needed that for as opposed to texture/mesh replacers and the like. My usual modding philosophy is mostly to use mods that fix or improve gameplay or appearances so I don't usually go in for new quests/new areas/combat mods and so on.

What's sad is that I made a house mod for myself back in like 2003? and I can't find it now :( It was pretty barebones, on a hillside next to the silt strider in Balmora and had tons of tables and shelves for storing stuff.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Yeah, MWSE doesn't work. There looks to be plans to implement the MWSE script functions into OpenMW, but that's a post-1.0 feature apparently and they haven't started on it yet.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

they were going to but basically it wasn't feasible

Were talking like way early in development I think, though.

The original plan for Morrowind, immediately after Daggerfall, was for it to feature all of Morrowind, all 5 Great Houses, the Blight spreading, armies fighting, and more. It was, basically, a true sequel to Daggerfall. Bethesda wasn't satisfied with this concept so they took a hiatus to work on Redguard, and when they came back immediately focused on Vvardenfell and a hand-crafted, smaller story -all learned from Redguard.

Bascially put, the second Bethesda decided to forego procedural generation and impossible goals, they came about with modern Morrowind. So TR claiming Bethesda set aside their vision for a smaller goal is complete delusion. Morrowind is what Bethesda intended Morrowind to be.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Okay, so it turns out that specific project was done by the same guy who makes those maps which have a different worldspace layout because one of his assumptions seems to be that someone has access to a cloning facility for modders.

The actual document (far narrower in scope and dealing with issues as to break the big releases down into smaller sections and update the TR files when said sections are merged) is now in the OP there: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24996

Hopefully someone can still build that cloning facility for modders, because then we might get a TR release this year. :v:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

"Commander, we've induced autism in the clones as you directed, but we're running out of Cheetos and Mountain Dew to pump into the clone vats."

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Hello, Morrowind thread. It sure has been a while.

Just wanted to let you know that the GOTY edition of Morrowind is now available on gog.com for $19.99 (the same price as Steam). Plus, you'll also get Daggerfall and Arena for free too (even though Arena [edit:and Daggerfall] were already free, but w/e)!

I'm guessing this would be identical to the CD version where you don't have to worry about all of the extra Steam steps, like disabling the overlay, but someone will probably need to test this first.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 27, 2015

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Daggerfall is also free now.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Daggerfall has been free for a while.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Huh. So it is. I figured they would do that like they did for Arena, I must've missed it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I think the other important note is that GOG is also selling Redguard and Battlespire for the first time in years.