Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

If you've got a set that presents series 1 and 2 in the 2009 broadcast order (i.e. chronological season 1, with season 2 eps put in where they would fit in chronologically) then the correct episode order is:

The movie

If you own the two seasons as seperate box sets then season 1 may be presented in chronological order as opposed to broadcast order. The order then would be

SEASON 1 DVDS

SEASON 2 WOULD BE IN THE CORRECT ORDER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I fell asleep early last night, so I will watch the eps soon

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Enjoy

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Namtab posted:

I posted the correct order earlier

I appreciate it.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Linnaeus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 18, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Thank you for catbonk.gif :3:

E: it's the ears that make it go from good to fantastic.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yay

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 18, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I was gonna say best frames of the show so far but then, if you include the ED, and looking back at some of the other gifs, it's like gently caress, this show is so good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

I was gonna say best frames of the show so far but then, if you include the ED, and looking back at some of the other gifs, it's like gently caress, this show is so good

I wish I was better at making gifs because I can only use free software that screws up all the colors and I feel like I'm doing the show a disservice.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

I wish I was better at making gifs because I can only use free software that screws up all the colors and I feel like I'm doing the show a disservice.

you're doing great! but admittedly nothing will ever be enough

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

thank you in training

Something I realized when I made this: this gag is like a split second long in the show, and they only dedicated 2 frames to each hairstyle for a total of 10 frames. But when you watch the cycle of the gif you realize that every shot isn't just taking the same scenario and giving her a new hairstyle; every day the chairs and desks and slightly different, the lighting is different and her expression is redrawn every time. The craft is quite astounding for something that lasts all of 0.5 seconds.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Something I realized when I made this: this gag is like a split second long in the show, and they only dedicated 2 frames to each hairstyle for a total of 10 frames. But when you watch the cycle of the gif you realize that every shot isn't just taking the same scenario and giving her a new hairstyle; every day the chairs and desks and slightly different, the lighting is different and her expression is redrawn every time. The craft is quite astounding for something that lasts all of 0.5 seconds.

I noticed that too, though I think the desks might be cg and the lighting done in post. Even so, it's still a level of dedication you don't see very often.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

.jpg posted:

I noticed that too, though I think the desks might be cg and the lighting done in post. Even so, it's still a level of dedication you don't see very often.

no doubt there's a ton of post work when it comes to the lighting, but I think it's in good taste, and it just feeds my conviction that kyoani has a godlike understanding of space and how to have fun turning space into 2d

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the only really tasteless cg desks I can remember will be coming up later in the melancholy arc, (and even then the blocking and composition is great) - y'all might remember what I'm talking about, it's one of the things people point to as "so 2006" or whatever, but there might be more awkward cg desks I've intentionally forgotten because of severe bias

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 18, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's some CGI zooms here and there but I think I know what you're talking about. the particularly egregious CGI is used well though, since (later Melancholy spoilers) its used for alien super powers. Really heightens the sense of confusion and bewilderment. I know it was likely a cost-saving measure at its core but they make still manage to make it thematically cohesive

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's no Haibane Renmei

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Oh yeah, I wasn't criticising it, KyoAni have some of the best cg going. In fact I think it's cool that they use it effectively to make richer environments for the hand drawn stuff.

Most people associate anime CG with bad stuff like Sidonia, but it's actually used a lot more than you'd think

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

.jpg posted:

Oh yeah, I wasn't criticising it, KyoAni have some of the best cg going. In fact I think it's cool that they use it effectively to make richer environments for the hand drawn stuff.

Most people associate anime CG with bad stuff like Sidonia, but it's actually used a lot more than you'd think

Same for film, lots of people don't realize how helpful CG can be for post-production, but overuse in big budget action films has often lead lots of people to dismiss it wholesale as universally ugly. Used well it's just another creative tool of many in anime.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

There's some CGI zooms here and there but I think I know what you're talking about. the particularly egregious CGI is used well though, since (later Melancholy spoilers) its used for alien super powers. Really heightens the sense of confusion and bewilderment. I know it was likely a cost-saving measure at its core but they make still manage to make it thematically cohesive
no that stuff is great, it's really stylized and cool and some of my favorite moments of the arc. same episode, I'm talking specifically about just one shot of hybrid 3d animation during the the post fight desk reorientation which strikes me every single time as unusually ugly. nitpick I know but I'm like you in that I think everything in the show is perfect - and my reaction sometimes is to attack the little things they didn't have time to smooth over because they were probably being worked like slaves and it's a tv show for crying out loud,

maybe it's not as well known as I thought but I bet we'll see it come up in this thread when we get to the proper episode

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 18, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Well, I did it. I watched the anime.

- I completely forgot about the first episode, that poo poo is genius. I watched this show back when it came out, but I somehow missed hearing people lose their minds over it. That came completely out of left field, yeah? They just aired it?

- OP/ED are still really good, but man there's a lot of good-rear end background music, it really enhances the scenes.

- I'm liking kyon way more then I remember but it might just be because I'm watching the english version this time. I could listen to Crispin Freeman read Mien Kampf and be completely engaged.

Overall I'm liking this way more than I remember, but at the same time none of the parts I don't like haven't happened yet so idk if it'll stay this way.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Ugghh, this was one of those shows I always had a bad impression of because of the way the autistic super weabs in high school praised it. Just finished the first season in broadcast order, and holy poo poo thus show is pretty good so far. Honestly, my favourite part of the show is Kyon's internal monologues, quips, and commentary. His character is so well written.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Mederlock posted:

Ugghh, this was one of those shows I always had a bad impression of because of the way the autistic super weabs in high school praised it. Just finished the first season in broadcast order, and holy poo poo thus show is pretty good so far. Honestly, my favourite part of the show is Kyon's internal monologues, quips, and commentary. His character is so well written.

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but Kyon, unusually in my experience, isn't annoying at all in his role as straight-man, perhaps because he straddles the line so well between impartial observer/mocker and participant in the ridiculous poo poo that goes down.

His character suffers to some degree when he's put into a position where he's forced to act rather than commentate.

Supplementary viewing: Season 2 of Symphogear features another character voiced by Sugita Tomokazu (Kyon) dealing with (Haruhi episode BroadcastOrder 4-5 major spoiler) another high school girl with ridiculous levels of apparent power and reacting very differently. Is it worth 10 hours of your time watching s1 and s2 for the sake of maybe a total of 45 minutes of Sugita Tomokazu if you aren't otherwise interested in Symphogear? Probably not, but it's something I found interesting while watching it.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

If you've (tried to) read the light novels, you know Kyon's narrative voice is one of the biggest improvements of the adaptation. Or maybe the translation is just lovely I dunno but he's so uncool in the LNs

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

Supplementary viewing: Season 2 of Symphogear features another character voiced by Sugita Tomokazu (Kyon) dealing with (Haruhi episode BroadcastOrder 4-5 major spoiler) another high school girl with ridiculous levels of apparent power and reacting very differently. Is it worth 10 hours of your time watching s1 and s2 for the sake of maybe a total of 45 minutes of Sugita Tomokazu if you aren't otherwise interested in Symphogear? Probably not, but it's something I found interesting while watching it.

meanwhile supplementary reading: The World as Will and Idea, all of the pages

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

How many episode have we watched already? tia

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Just the first 2. The next 2 are tonight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

2, with 2 more tonight.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh, good.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

anyone who owns haruhi merch should post it, there is no shame and now is the time

only thing I ever owned was the first light novel which I thrifted after getting halfway through and realizing it wasn't worth hurting myself for the sake of anime research. great drawings though.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 19, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I completely forgot that I had two different Tsuruya avatars at one point.

and later

I'd like to think that in the first one she was laughing at my posts.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I completely forgot that I had two different Tsuruya avatars at one point.

and later

I'd like to think that in the first one she was laughing at my posts.

Either of those would be 1000x better than your homestuck one!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

If you've got a set that presents series 1 and 2 in the 2009 broadcast order (i.e. chronological season 1, with season 2 eps put in where they would fit in chronologically) then the correct episode order is:

The movie

If you own the two seasons as seperate box sets then season 1 may be presented in chronological order as opposed to broadcast order. The order then would be

SEASON 1 DVDS

:eyepop:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Namtab posted:

The movie

SEASON 1 DVDS

This post would have saved me a lot of trouble Monday if I payed attention and saw it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

.jpg posted:

Not technically an emptyquote.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

Not technically an emptyquote.

you can empty quote bro this is a safe space, especially for a righteous cause

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
More Haruhi tonight? Yes please. Can't wait until my avatar is relevant again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

.jpg posted:

I was going to change it when it was over, but then it went on hiatus a billion times and eh :effort:

• Locked thread