Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"American Football" Goddammit Haruhi don't taunt me, football season's too close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a one-off joke but I would have loved the exact same episode with American football.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I look forward to the rest of the episodes being various sport tournaments

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, that was a thing. Glad we're going right back to Melancholy Part 3 on Friday. Hopefully they get at least a little more explicit about what's going on - I hate it when the protagonist knows too much more about what's going on than I do - detective shows excluded.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GIF mega posts incoming. I love the baseball episode, pretty much the only time the show goes pure slapstick and it works extremely well as the first major time the show begins to show its hand with chronological trickiness. If you excuse the pun, it's a real curve ball :D

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

and people say she's stubborn

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

GIF mega posts incoming. I love the baseball episode, pretty much the only time the show goes pure slapstick and it works extremely well as the first major time the show begins to show its hand with chronological trickiness. If you excuse the pun, it's a real curve ball :D

I'll excuse it, just this once.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, that was a thing. Glad we're going right back to Melancholy Part 3 on Friday. Hopefully they get at least a little more explicit about what's going on - I hate it when the protagonist knows too much more about what's going on than I do - detective shows excluded.

That closed space stuff sure sounds interesting. I'm sure it won't take most of the rest of the season for that to be explained or anything.

E: I mean it's explained right when it should be explained, but I still remember it being really confusing and kind of frustrating the first time through.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 20, 2015

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
"Eat up, everyone! It's Kyon's treat!"

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

AnoHito posted:

That closed space stuff sure sounds interesting. I'm sure it won't take most of the rest of the season for that to be explained or anything.

It culminates in one of my favorite episodes of all time, so it's okay

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Hahaha, I'd forgotten that he sold the bat. Poor pirates indeed.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This show's just a joy to watch.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The baseball episode holds up pretty well. I like seeing the extended gang.

Did you guys pick up on Haruhi's crush on your first time through? I think the clues are there at this point in the series but it was a nice little surprise seeing all of them, and it's obvious, once you go through in chron order.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Show's cool as hell. Now I'm disappointed in myself for not watching it when it came out.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Agronox posted:

Did you guys pick up on Haruhi's crush on your first time through? I think the clues are there at this point in the series but it was a nice little surprise seeing all of them, and it's obvious, once you go through in chron order.

I assumed it, but didn't really pick up on it. It really is super obvious on the rewatch.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
The Boredom episode had me cracking up, first of all because it's funny and secondly because this is the first time I've seen Melancholy in broadcast order and I couldn't stop thinking about how many tens of thousands of people were blindsided by all of this supernatural poo poo coming out of nowhere on the day this was first aired.

I really regret having watched season one in the wrong order the first time around because chronological order seriously ruins the pacing. Now I'm actally looking forward to finally seeing season two, after having it low down on the to-watch list for five years.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah on a rewatch there are just so many little things in that episode.

Not necessarily related but, Yuki is my favorite.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

For anyone concerned about plot advancement, just relax, keep your eyes and ears open, it's happening

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

a kitten posted:

yuki being the best is literally the entire point of the show, so it's always necessarily related

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Mentat Radnor posted:

The Boredom episode had me cracking up, first of all because it's funny and secondly because this is the first time I've seen Melancholy in broadcast order and I couldn't stop thinking about how many tens of thousands of people were blindsided by all of this supernatural poo poo coming out of nowhere on the day this was first aired.

I really regret having watched season one in the wrong order the first time around because chronological order seriously ruins the pacing. Now I'm actally looking forward to finally seeing season two, after having it low down on the to-watch list for five years.

yeah, the first time I watched it was on DVD order (chronological with Adventures first) and it was still good but in hindsight the broadcast order is much better

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Yeah, watching Boredom without mistakenly watching Melancholy Part 3 first really makes it much more apparent how much they hosed with viewers here.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

a kitten posted:

This isn't even Yuki's best episode, and she was still wonderful in it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The baseball episode has always been one of my favorites.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I'm gonna stamp my feet like that at work tomorrow

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

And then this stupid thing I made.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zas posted:

For anyone concerned about plot advancement, just relax, keep your eyes and ears open, it's happening

plot is for the weak

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

In Training posted:

lol

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
These episodes are a goldmine of great gifs.

It's stuff like this that makes Yuki my favorite character in this series.

Man, I'd forgotten how adorable Kyon's Sister is. :3:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

ahahaha

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

plot is for the weak

this is also true

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kyon-kun kyon-kun!! denwaaaa

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Command Ant posted:

Her best scene is still to come IMO.

Anyway I spent the whole 5-6 PST period stuck in traffic (well not all of it, but enough) so I'll catch up on this tonight.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

important plot

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Command Ant posted:

I like her scenes in the movie

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

I like her scenes in the movie