Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

LabyaMynora posted:

It's symbolic. Two aspects of Elliot's personality working behind his back without his knowledge. Neither are real.

Everything we've seen of Tyrell Wellick is just Elliot's imagination.

As much as that would make sense to a degree, it would mean they spent a good chunk of the season showing a bunch of poo poo that didn't happen. I'm not convinced they could do that effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

hcreight posted:

As much as that would make sense to a degree, it would mean they spent a good chunk of the season showing a bunch of poo poo that didn't happen. I'm not convinced they could do that effectively.

I"m beginning to suspect more and more of this show is "a bunch of poo poo that didn't happen." What's more likely, a literal Patrick Bateman clone beating up hobos and murdering the CTO's wife on the roof of E Corp's own building, or Elliot imagining that such a man exists?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NZdggNUvq0

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

LabyaMynora posted:

I"m beginning to suspect more and more of this show is "a bunch of poo poo that didn't happen." What's more likely, a literal Patrick Bateman clone beating up hobos and murdering the CTO's wife on the roof of E Corp's own building, or Elliot imagining that such a man exists?

I'm rooting for the finale to not suck, is what I'm saying. :(

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

The first bit sounds like "Foreground" by Grizzly Bear and that got me really excited but no

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I liked the call back to Pulp Fiction. "I'm pretty fuckin far from OK".

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Waynebo posted:

Sam Esmail is like I DON'T GIVE A poo poo IF I RIPPED OFF FIGHT CLUB THIS IS BETTER

Oh man I laughed when that poo poo happened.

Good on him I Guess, lean into it. By him I mean the show runner.

What happened after the credits?

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 20, 2015

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

LoG posted:

I liked the call back to Pulp Fiction. "I'm pretty fuckin far from OK".

This plus the where is my mind cover blew my mind.

I get it now. Sam Esmail knows he is ripping off these other works, but he doesn't care. He is stitching them together into something new. This show is part American Psycho, part Fight Club, part Dexter, part House of Cards, but the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. I think this show is going to really turn out to be amazing.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Talorat posted:

I get it now. Sam Esmail knows he is ripping off these other works, but he doesn't care. He is stitching them together into something new. This show is part American Psycho, part Fight Club, part Dexter, part House of Cards, but the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. I think this show is going to really turn out to be amazing.
I personally don't care if the show wears its homages on its sleeve, execution is more important anyway. I don't care if the show is a bunch of everything else, so is nearly every other story. I mean Star Wars and Lion King and Dune are just Hamlet in different skins anyway, just with different bits of other things thrown in together.

Sober fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 20, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

apatheticman posted:

What happened after the credits?

My recording cut off. I need to see what happened.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Nothing happened as best as I could tell. They showed a preview for next week but it didn't have anything particularly notable. Did I miss something?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Euthyphro posted:

Nothing happened as best as I could tell. They showed a preview for next week but it didn't have anything particularly notable. Did I miss something?

All the reviews said to stick around after the credits.

Strange.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Talorat posted:

This show is brilliant. He knows we already know the 'twists' as he has been blatantly telegraphing it from the first episode. He is playing on our already preconceived ideas about what is happening especially in the last episode when Eliot addressed the audience directly with: 'Were you in on this the whole time?'. Yes we were. We have been waiting for the reveal. We were supposed to figure it out before Eliot to show how hosed up Eliot really is and how NOTHING from his point of view can be taken at face value.

Basically this show is on another level. It is treating us as an intelligent audience which is incredibly refreshing.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

apatheticman posted:

All the reviews said to stick around after the credits.

Strange.

I think that the post-credits sequence is supposed to be for next week.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

insider posted:

Yes we were. We have been waiting for the reveal.

All the signs in Mr Robot's shop that said THE WAIT IS OVER were a great touch.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This back story with the $20 was gold. Just started watching it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know, one thing I really liked about this episode was how it showed Elliot suddenly realizing that he's injured and bleeding after Darlene and Angela catch up to him. It was a great way to depict to the audience that "Yeah, yes, all the stuff Mr. Robot was physically doing was Elliot himself" without being flagrantly blunt about it with flashbacks or needless exposition. This series shows instead of tells quite well.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I was kind of hoping for a bit more Dexter this season but I'm still ok with everything that's happening.

thanks for reading that

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Where is my mind played at the end of fight club after the big reveal right?

This show is stupid with how good it is.

I haven't enjoyed a series this much in a long time.

muscles like this? posted:

Hey, there's a gun in that popcorn machine.

Oh god. Id forgotten about this.

HardKase fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 20, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

HardKase posted:

Where is my mind played at the end of fight club after the big reveal right?

Yeah, right after the reveal, and right as the skyscrapers are detonating.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Gonz posted:

Yeah, right after the reveal, and right as the skyscrapers are detonating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytjN6Qa-Igg

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Fantastic episode. Can't wait til next week.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I mentioned last week but one of the pictures Elliot looked at was his dad reading him a book about a brother and sister who run away together to a museum, and then this episode we find out that Elliot and Angela (not sister but eh, close enough) made their secret runaway place the museum that that model of the city was in. :3:

Kinda called Tyrell working with fsociety a while ago in this thread, but just like all the other reveals/twists I can't wait to see how they do it. The last shot being of the popcorn machine with a gun in it is certainly ominous.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

When I realized they were going where we all assumed they've been going since the beginning, I felt a pang of mild disappointment. It was almost instantly burned away by the intensity of Rami Malek's performance and the sheer style with which they're landing this. Good God this show is fantastic, even if we called it.

(You knew all along, didn't you?)

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

VDay posted:

I mentioned last week but one of the pictures Elliot looked at was his dad reading him a book about a brother and sister who run away together to a museum, and then this episode we find out that Elliot and Angela (not sister but eh, close enough) made their secret runaway place the museum that that model of the city was in. :3:

If anyone wants to visit that by the way, it's the panorama at the Queens Museum of Art! It rules.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

VDay posted:

Kinda called Tyrell working with fsociety a while ago in this thread, but just like all the other reveals/twists I can't wait to see how they do it. The last shot being of the popcorn machine with a gun in it is certainly ominous.

One of the guesses in this thread (not mine) is that Angela is actually Elliot's half sister - both her mom and his dad died in the accident, they're extremely close, and even in this episode, Darlene said she was family.

As for Tyrell, I'm still trying to figure out his end game. Does he have a motive that has yet to be shown, is he trying to keep moving up the ladder at Evil Corp, or what? He's a sociopath, I'm pretty sure, but I don't see the logic. Unless it's just his wife that's driving it, in which case we don't know enough.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So basically Christian Slater isn't going to be around anymore.

That's too bad. :( And the primary reason why I was so against Ghost Dad theory. Still, though, amazing episode as always and excited for the next one. Cannot get enough of the amazing framing they continue to push. I really hope they keep the same folks behind the camera for S2.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

This show's excellent and since the Darlene reveal, I can't help but kick myself at not noticing how her actress has features similar to Rami Malek beforehand.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

This show's excellent and since the Darlene reveal, I can't help but kick myself at not noticing how her actress has features similar to Rami Malek beforehand.

Neither of them really look like Slater though.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

DaveKap posted:

So basically Christian Slater isn't going to be around anymore.

Preview for next week features him pretty prominently.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Esmail's successfully using my pop culture like Lego bricks. I really love this show right now.

And what he's doing is itself kind of schizophrenic so I wonder if that's where Elliot being schizophrenic came from? Whatever the case, I feel like anyone he commiserated with on this project probably had a blast

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Rami Malek loving stabbed me in the heart this week, too. There's a moment in the graveyard where he lets out a little "ah" as he realizes he is injured, like he is hit all at once by not only the pain from throwing himself out the window, but the realization that his mind has really and truly turned against him, and that just gutted me. The way he's yelling and how erratic his movements and speech are-- Jesus, just imagine actually looking at Elliot while he's going through this, having no context from inside his mind to know what he's going through. He's forgetting people. He's wandering off without explanation or warning. He's hurting himself in his delusions. Elliot is a sick, sick dude, and we're talking 'probably shouldn't live alone' sick. And the way Rami plays not just the sickness, but the realization of that sickness, is some of the best acting I've ever seen.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

Shooting Blanks posted:

One of the guesses in this thread (not mine) is that Angela is actually Elliot's half sister - both her mom and his dad died in the accident, they're extremely close, and even in this episode, Darlene said she was family.

Am I forgetting something or why is there not more talk of that last bit? Are we playing it off as "We're so close we're basically sisters!"? Show seems pretty in your face to not take that literally.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

manwithoutskin posted:

Am I forgetting something or why is there not more talk of that last bit? Are we playing it off as "We're so close we're basically sisters!"? Show seems pretty in your face to not take that literally.

Its because they grew up together and are as close as Angela and Eliot.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
This show is cool as poo poo. You could call it derivative if it wasn't so aware of what it was doing with references and if it wasn't executed so well. My head is swimming after watching that and I have no idea what is going to happen in the season finale.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
Who will our Fight Club and American Psycho superheroes team up to fight next season??

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Waynebo posted:

Who will our Fight Club and American Psycho superheroes team up to fight next season??
Walter White.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Waynebo posted:

Can we even be sure that they're teamed up? I know Wellick is in awe of Elliot's plan and skills but I assumed he's gonna at least attempt using all his newfound knowledge to get back in Evil Corp by saving the day, especially since the episode made a point of the TO guy being out of work/reach cuz he's mourning his wife.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Vanderdeath posted:

I was re-watching the sibling reveal scene and there's a shot of both of their profiles, and I immediately noticed they had similar chins, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Now that we know that Elliott is mr robot can I see video of him jumping out the window? Did he superman it? Did he lean over and fall? Did he sit on the ledge and fall backwards?

• Locked thread