Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Yang is only slightly bullshit. The most egregious example was him somehow reading Reinhardt's mind in S1 and seeing through his strategic scheme. Other than that, he was pretty grounded: Yang's talents lay in attracting lots of other very talented people to do his dirty work. Yang needed Dusty and Alex and Murai and Freddy and Merk. Other than that, he couldn't do much but plot. Yang is good at strategy, really good at tactics, but can't fight worth a drat in person.

They kind of split Yang in two, where Arslan inherited Yang's idealism, and Narsus inherited Yang's scheming. But somehow that made the characterisation weaker: Arslan lacks the talent to back up his ideals, and Narsus lacks the idealism to temper his ability to bend the world to his will.

Daryun is basically Schnenkopp, but nowhere near as sexy and cool.

You shut your mouth, Daryun is the sexiest and the coolest. :syoon:

I realized this episode that it's rather pointless to compare LoGH to Arslan. Their approaches to storytelling are just too different.

I had a conversation with my boyfriend a while back where I argued that LoGH isn't a space opera so much as a political/philosophical drama that takes place in the far future. You could take the core concepts and characters and set them in a different era, and preserve the soul of the story. Arguably, that's one of the points of the show--in every time, in every place, the deeds of man remain the same.

Arslan Senki, on the other hand, is very grounded in the fantasy/adventure genre it comes from. A lot of the characters and set pieces are typical of the genre. The loyal, heroic knight? Check. Dispossessed prince? Check. Awesome duels? Check. Evil, uncomplicated villains? Check. You could open all sorts of fantasy books and find the same archetypes. I haven't read the books, so I don't know if this applies to them, too.

For all that, I still think Arslan Senki is still a good, fun show. I like the characters, the plot interests me, and I'm impressed with the level of research that has gone into the story. But at the end of the day it's a quality fantasy-adventure. It's not as good as LoGH, but hey, nothing is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Viola the Mad posted:

You shut your mouth, Daryun is the sexiest and the coolest. :syoon:

I realized this episode that it's rather pointless to compare LoGH to Arslan. Their approaches to storytelling are just too different.

I had a conversation with my boyfriend a while back where I argued that LoGH isn't a space opera so much as a political/philosophical drama that takes place in the far future. You could take the core concepts and characters and set them in a different era, and preserve the soul of the story. Arguably, that's one of the points of the show--in every time, in every place, the deeds of man remain the same.

Arslan Senki, on the other hand, is very grounded in the fantasy/adventure genre it comes from. A lot of the characters and set pieces are typical of the genre. The loyal, heroic knight? Check. Dispossessed prince? Check. Awesome duels? Check. Evil, uncomplicated villains? Check. You could open all sorts of fantasy books and find the same archetypes. I haven't read the books, so I don't know if this applies to them, too.

For all that, I still think Arslan Senki is still a good, fun show. I like the characters, the plot interests me, and I'm impressed with the level of research that has gone into the story. But at the end of the day it's a quality fantasy-adventure. It's not as good as LoGH, but hey, nothing is.

Arslan Senki is kinda like Shakespeare imho.

I tried to get a previous roommate to watch LoGH, he's a Babylon 5 fan so I figured he'd like it. Sadly not, he didn't like the lack of build up to the opening battle.

Hence previous roommate. :D

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Arslan Senki is kinda like Shakespeare imho.

I tried to get a previous roommate to watch LoGH, he's a Babylon 5 fan so I figured he'd like it. Sadly not, he didn't like the lack of build up to the opening battle.

Hence previous roommate. :D

You made the right choice.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Arslan is so transparently into Daryun. It's cute.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
well yeah wouldn't you be.

I think this is the first time we've seen Arslan really be all "MOTHERFUCKER I'LL KILL YOU"

Which is impressive considering the poo poo he's been through so far.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

paragon1 posted:

well yeah wouldn't you be.

I think this is the first time we've seen Arslan really be all "MOTHERFUCKER I'LL KILL YOU"

Which is impressive considering the poo poo he's been through so far.

Yeah I dug that a lot. He got all mega intense for a second.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's a lot of QUALITY that needs to be fixed in the BDs

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

I agree with this but I think the main difference between the shows is that LOGH asks a question while Arslan just presents an answer.

In LOGH we have people on both sides of the argument who are capable of showing the benefits and flaws of each system of government but in Arslan, he and Narsus just bullshit their way through any problem caused by Arslan naivety.

I have no idea how the story is going to go but it would be more comparable to LOGH if we see Arslan's ideas backfire or if we have an alternative viewpoint of a kingdom ruled by an authoritative despot but where its citizens, including the slaves, have peace and a higher standard of living than a 'free Pars'.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

king retardja and his general cuntheavy

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
Well granted they did get the Daryun of Sindhura so it's not a complete loss. :v:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Actually taking Rajendra back to Pars would have been a pretty good move. I mean, I can see why Arslan wouldn't go for it, but it'd work great at keeping foreign influence to a minimum for a few years.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Actually taking Rajendra back to Pars would have been a pretty good move. I mean, I can see why Arslan wouldn't go for it, but it'd work great at keeping foreign influence to a minimum for a few years.

At the very least it made sure a possible front was delayed and ensures a direction of safe retreat.

Europa Universalis map of the region when?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well I guess looked at it as a limited campaign to secure the eastern front for 3 years, this arc worked out okay. The show finally acknowledged the silliness of entrusting yourself to someone who loving invaded you a few episodes ago. And because of Narsus' magic, I don't think Pars lost many soldiers, and all of Kishward's troops can be diverted west towards the centre.

I'm glad we're getting more Hermes. I like evil Reinhardt, he's genuinely scary and competent, whereas Rajendra was never more than a joke. Hermes is a combination of Daryun + Narsus + mirror universe Arslan, which means he can cover all of team Arslan's bases.

My favourite thing about Hermes is how incredibly worked up he gets when he starts fighting, he starts ravening and chewing up the scenery twice as hard as Daryun.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

I agree with this but I think the main difference between the shows is that LOGH asks a question while Arslan just presents an answer.

In LOGH we have people on both sides of the argument who are capable of showing the benefits and flaws of each system of government but in Arslan, he and Narsus just bullshit their way through any problem caused by Arslan's naivete.

I have no idea how the story is going to go but it would be more comparable to LOGH if we see Arslan's ideas backfire or if we have an alternative viewpoint of a kingdom ruled by an authoritative despot but where its citizens, including the slaves, have peace and a higher standard of living than a 'free Pars'.

And that's why LoGH is a better story. Arslan Senki isn't interested in asking questions, it's interested in :hist101:RAD ADVENTURE:hist101:. Maybe after Arslan gets a chance to govern we'll see a change, but for now we're watching the player characters harem go on a noble quest to save Pars. And I'm fine with that, because it gives me something fun and relaxing to watch every week. LoGH is thought-provoking, but it's also killing my faith in democracy in conjunction with the Republican primaries. :negative:

On that note, this episode was pretty disappointing; I signed up for awesome battles and Arslan Senki consigned them all to exposition. And for all the excuses I make for the show, I'm getting sick of Narsus being the answer to everything. It's past time for Arslan to step up and start contributing substance beyond adorable smiles. :hist101:RAD ADVENTURE:hist101: does not excuse a lack of character development or a single godlike character. Overall I enjoyed this arc, but Arlsan best get his act together in the next one

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The show seems very Rot3K heavy in influence. Like, being a good King is just as much about surrounding yourself with loyal and wise advisers as it is being kind or just or whatever. So Arslan himself is there to act as this magnet in which he attracts followers, sort of like a Stark.

Speaking of which, very disappointed in Rajendra, he who passes the sentence should swing the sword. :mad:

And he lied to his father on his death bad. :(

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Viola the Mad posted:

And that's why LoGH is a better story. Arslan Senki isn't interested in asking questions, it's interested in :hist101:RAD ADVENTURE:hist101:. Maybe after Arslan gets a chance to govern we'll see a change, but for now we're watching the player characters harem go on a noble quest to save Pars. And I'm fine with that, because it gives me something fun and relaxing to watch every week. LoGH is thought-provoking, but it's also killing my faith in democracy in conjunction with the Republican primaries. :negative:

On that note, this episode was pretty disappointing; I signed up for awesome battles and Arslan Senki consigned them all to exposition. And for all the excuses I make for the show, I'm getting sick of Narsus being the answer to everything. It's past time for Arslan to step up and start contributing substance beyond adorable smiles. :hist101:RAD ADVENTURE:hist101: does not excuse a lack of character development or a single godlike character. Overall I enjoyed this arc, but Arlsan best get his act together in the next one

Yeah, Arslan is a Nice Person, but he doesn't have the same competence and magnetism as Yang. Yang might not be able to swing an axe or shoot a laser pistol to save his life, but he could lead fleets of ships and analyse political situations.

All Arslan has going for him is potential. Perhaps a better comparison for Arslan is Julian, but Julian could manage a household at Arslan's age. And a few years later, Julian was piloting fighters and commanding battleships and dropkicking people in the face and boarding ships whilst clad in powered armour.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would hope Arslan gains some combat prowess, considering all his training. just enough so he's not the damsel every time.

anyway, Kishward was confirmed for Arslan Musou!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You guys seem dead set on comparing a philosophical alt-future history to what is basically a Persian epic with liberal amounts of Rot3K mixed in. It's like whining the Grendel in Beowulf didn't get enough screen time to show that eating people might not be a bad thing.

Don't get me wrong though, Arslan needs to step up because him getting saved every episodes is wearing thin.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Guyver posted:

You guys seem dead set on comparing a philosophical alt-future history to what is basically a Persian epic with liberal amounts of Rot3K mixed in. It's like whining the Grendel in Beowulf didn't get enough screen time to show that eating people might not be a bad thing.

Don't get me wrong though, Arslan needs to step up because him getting saved every episodes is wearing thin.

We're just jonesing for something to fill that LOGH hole you get once you finished that series. :smithicide:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

We're just jonesing for something to fill that LOGH hole you get once you finished that series. :smithicide:

There's always Tytania :unsmigghh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Better than Legend of the Four Dragon Kings, ugh.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

The harem growssss

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
I understand that people are comparing Rot3K to this show because of Narsus and Daryun, but after that nothing even is remotely comparable to Rot3K. This show has none of the vast rich expansive character backstories or the intriguing and ever changing plot and schemes that Rot3K has.

Although Rot3K's Zhugeliang and Narsus both has bullshit intuition, but Zhugeliang had reasonable explanation to his foresight which Narsus is just bullshit. Lu Bu was strong and capable fighter, but was fairly dimwit and couple men and a rope was enough to put him down. Can you imagine Daryun going down in anything except maybe a tactical nuclear strike?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm still amazed at just how backstabby the dude ended up being. There's like no Shakespearian motivation behind it, no grudge, he's like a kid throwing rocks at the girl he likes.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Well I guess looked at it as a limited campaign to secure the eastern front for 3 years, this arc worked out okay. The show finally acknowledged the silliness of entrusting yourself to someone who loving invaded you a few episodes ago. And because of Narsus' magic, I don't think Pars lost many soldiers, and all of Kishward's troops can be diverted west towards the centre.

I'm glad we're getting more Hermes. I like evil Reinhardt, he's genuinely scary and competent, whereas Rajendra was never more than a joke. Hermes is a combination of Daryun + Narsus + mirror universe Arslan, which means he can cover all of team Arslan's bases.

My favourite thing about Hermes is how incredibly worked up he gets when he starts fighting, he starts ravening and chewing up the scenery twice as hard as Daryun.

Yeah, Post Mortem I think the biggest problem with the whole Sinduhara Sidequest is that the villains were all total lightweights so it was just 6 episodes of zero tension Narsus owning everybody in increasingly ridiculous ways.

Also, aside from being a token foreign dude I'm not seeing what new guy brings to the party but oh well he can stab faceless NPCs as well as anyone I guess.

Hermes is at least an important enough dude to maybe cause a setback once in a while so hopefully it'll start to pick up next week.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i enjoyed the Sindhuran stuff but it does kinda suck to have the only tangible gain be Jaswant, who explicitly says he's leaving them in a few years

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i did not like this episode. i don't care about silver mask & friends at all and there was a really long scene so darkly lit you couldn't see poo poo

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Seeing who illustrated the end card was good for a chuckle.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Davincie posted:

i did not like this episode. i don't care about silver mask & friends at all and there was a really long scene so darkly lit you couldn't see poo poo

What, it's nice to know that there's multiple sides to this.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
A choice between a life of wine and woman or getting your rear end killed in a civil war is a pretty easy decision to make.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hermes loving owns, every time talks, there's an angry growl behind every word, like he can barely repress himself from loving killing everyone around him.

Arslan needs a real foil that can oppose him. And in team Hermes, Sam and Kubard have that glowering sexual charisma coming off them in spades, and that is lacking in the relatively sterile Narsus and Daryun.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kubard would have sexual charisma with anybody :heysexy:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Davincie posted:

I didn't care much for it as well although Andragoras laughing at Sam's naivety was a pretty good scene if poorly animated.

I'm not expecting LOGH but I wish they made Hermes and his men much more likable or at least showed citizens enjoying life under his rule.

Kubard's 'gently caress you guys I'm out' was great though and I hope he comes back.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

I didn't care much for it as well although Andragoras laughing at Sam's naivety was a pretty good scene if poorly animated.

I'm not expecting LOGH but I wish they made Hermes and his men much more likable or at least showed citizens enjoying life under his rule.

Kubard's 'gently caress you guys I'm out' was great though and I hope he comes back.

Hermes basically represents an alternate villainous faction, but it probably would help to see his recruitment of Parsians as basically being one of following someone like them over a Lusitanian.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hermes isn't the one calling the shots in Ecbatana, at least not yet. The Lusitanians are still in control even if the Templar crazies are all sitting on a rock somewhere.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Kegslayer posted:

That's part of the whole reason that Arslan has a claim to legitimacy, other than the moral upside of abolishing slavery. When/if Hermes is made king, he'll have been installed by an invading foreign force that went on a big old cultural purge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this episode was better than last week even if everything surrounding the lusitanian boy and his gorgeous hair is a bit stupid

• Locked thread