Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Hoss Corncave posted:

X6 also had some really dodgy level design with the reploids you have to save, and the bosses weren't great either. I didn't hate it though.

Also, the last of Ryu's moves in Street Fighter is the Tatsumaki Senpukyaku. It's pronounced pretty much as it's written.

AzraelNewtype posted:

It tends to get pronounced Tatsmak Senpuukyak, in practice, which never helps people trying to piece it together. I think the SF2 clip pronounces the first omitted U a lot harder than the modern games, but it also pronounces hadouken like haduuken, so maybe it's best to forget about SF2's audio.

Incidentally, it does finally make its way into the Hunters' repertoire, but not for X.

And yeah, X6 is a bad game, but it's a bad game that I've played through start to finish at least three times. X7 I broke down and bought a used copy for like $3, but still haven't been able to bring myself to boot the drat thing.

X6 was nowhere near as good as X4 or X5, but I still found it pretty enjoyable back in the day. It didn't leave me with the crushing emptiness that X7 left in its wake.

Also my experience with Street Fighter is almost entirely relegated to SF2, which as you've mentioned had some pretty questionable audio clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I always heard it as "myephmeykmenyahu" or some other incoherent gibberish.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 05 - Satardar

Oh boy, guys, it's the collectathon! We start to track down the armor upgrades, heart tanks, and whatnots that abound. We've had it for a while but on the topic of upgrades the buster upgrade in this game is just terrible. I appreciate that they were trying to build off of the double charge shot from X2, but the combined shot is so awkward and slow it's almost never worth it, not to mention that it's extremely hard to pull of while on a wall or in the air. It also doesn't do any extra damage to bosses, but there's no way to stop your charge shot at the regular full shot, so you have to waste the weaker charge shot before you can shoot the one you wanted to shoot in the frist place. On top of that if you've charged it all the way there is a slight ending lad to the second shot which can very easily get you hit in a fast paced fight (like the one we just had with Vile).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

What button is dash again? Damnit I just double tapped forward accidentally IDIDN'TWANTTODASHNOWSHIT!

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

FeyerbrandX posted:

What button is dash again? Damnit I just double tapped forward accidentally IDIDN'TWANTTODASHNOWSHIT!

I don't know that I've ever wanted to dash when I double tap forward.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 06 - Fish Stank

Hey guys, sorry this one's so short. I didn't realize how few things we had left to collect. I will, however, tell you how to get the individual chips we skipped.

- The leg chip is in Toxic Seahorse's level and requires the frog armor. After you summon the ride armor and drop into the water, if you jump on the top where the fan is blowing you can move forward and blow up the fan with the frog armor. Jump through there and the leg chip is right above. This allows X to either air dash twice or dash jump and then air dash.

- The body chip upgrade is found in Crush Crawfish's level, right after the heart tank we just got. If you drop down and continue right there is a pit I almost fell down earlier. Drop down there with the Hawk armor and blast the wall to the left to get to the body chip. This chip will reduce damage by another 50% and the shield that gets generated will be orange and reduce damage by another 50% (multiplied, not added). The total damage reduction with the orange shield is about 75%.

- The head chip is in Gravity Beetle's stage. After the first upward elevator ride grab a ride armor in the little alcove up and to the right. Continue on to the right for a little while and bust down the cracked wall, beyond you will find the head chip. This will allow X to regenerate health at a slow rate while standing completely still. (Fun fact, this is the most fun mechanic ever devised by man).

- The energy chip is found in Blast Hornet's stage. After the conveyor belt area hug the right wall. Jump back up the wall until you hit the spikes. Use the upward dash to get around the spikes and head to the right to find the capsule. This adds another weapon to X's repertoire called the Hyper Charge, which allows you to repeatedly shoot out charge shots as long as it has weapon energy.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 07 - Ceiling Spikes

I have always hated the "jump a little too high and you instantly die" design mechanic in any game, but I feel like Mega Man does it more often than other series. I'm fine with having to time your jumps and tight platforming, but when you make the penalty instant death it makes it hard for the player to learn how to get past the obstacle.

We do finally pick up one of the secrets I've been aluding to this entire time! The golden armor gives the effect of all of the four individual armor chips I listed in the previous update. The requirements for the golden armor are to have every other upgrade (heart tank, sub tank, and armor capsule) and NOT pick up any individual chip upgrade.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I can't not hear this in the Crush Crawfish level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYWx3vAFi98

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Gimbal lock posted:

I never made that connection before, but now I will forever hear it as well. Incidentally, that's probably one of the best parts of that game.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

I always thought it was like the first Power Rangers theme once it actually kicked in.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 08 - Beam Sabre

We pick up our second secret upgrade for X, the Beam Sabre! This is probably the most useful of the super weapon upgrades thus far, as you don't need to be at full health to use it. It can't be fired off as rapidly as the hadouken or the shoryuken, but being able to use it after taking a hit is worth the tradeoff.

In order to get the Beam Sabre you must defeat Vile when he shows up in the stages after beating two mavericks, and you must finish him off with one of his weaknesses (either Neon Tiger's weapon or Crush Crawfish's weapon). If you completed that step stage 2 of Doppler will have different enemies and the lower part will be filled with water. Before going into the sub boss door (that would have contained Vile), switch to Zero (if you were not playing as him already) and fight the boss. This is the only boss that you can fight as Zero, and beating it will get X the Beam Sabre. It is not necessary to get any upgrades for this, however if you do not have the buster upgrade then the Beam Sabre will not shoot out the shockwave and will just function as it did for Zero.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
The Doppler healing field that he does only heals when you attack him during it. It seems like ometimes (or on some enemies), the Beam Sabre does half a bar in one hit, at others it does the same damage but in multiple chunks. If Doppler is hit then does the healing field, he'll take the first bit of damage but the rest will heal him.

Just don't attack him while the green energy is up and you'll be fine.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
Just finished the series (as well as the archived X1 and X2). What's up with the *calls thread 'holy balls you can play as Zero', proceeds to not play as Zero* thing? Also, do you plan on showcasing the Super and Ultra versions of the boss weapons? And maybe not cheese the Sigma fight (as in use his actual weaknesses)? Any plans on doing more of the X series?

As far as this game goes, I didn't like the whole "don't take upgrades, get em all at the end" bit. I get what they were going for, but punishing the player for taking an upgrade is kind of a dick move. Also, there's a really specific set of circumstances to take into account when playing this to get everything, and without the internet, dumb luck, or a ton of playthroughs, you'd never know. Hell, you guys used a guide and still had a "whoops, missed Vile" moment. I've only played the first 3, and this one was definitely my least favorite. Bit and Byte were randomly thrown in for seemingly no reason other than to have sub-bosses. Meh.

Aside from all that nonsense, you guys are pretty funny. There were times (in the series thus far) where I'd think a joke in my head, and you guys would then say it, or "maybe you should subtank", and then do it. I dig it. Looking forward to more, for sure.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

K-ParAdoX posted:

Just finished the series (as well as the archived X1 and X2). What's up with the *calls thread 'holy balls you can play as Zero', proceeds to not play as Zero* thing? Also, do you plan on showcasing the Super and Ultra versions of the boss weapons? And maybe not cheese the Sigma fight (as in use his actual weaknesses)? Any plans on doing more of the X series?

As far as this game goes, I didn't like the whole "don't take upgrades, get em all at the end" bit. I get what they were going for, but punishing the player for taking an upgrade is kind of a dick move. Also, there's a really specific set of circumstances to take into account when playing this to get everything, and without the internet, dumb luck, or a ton of playthroughs, you'd never know. Hell, you guys used a guide and still had a "whoops, missed Vile" moment. I've only played the first 3, and this one was definitely my least favorite. Bit and Byte were randomly thrown in for seemingly no reason other than to have sub-bosses. Meh.

Aside from all that nonsense, you guys are pretty funny. There were times (in the series thus far) where I'd think a joke in my head, and you guys would then say it, or "maybe you should subtank", and then do it. I dig it. Looking forward to more, for sure.

As far as never actually using Zero, I was super excited when I first found out you could play as Zero in this game, and then when I found out he leaves for good if you get him killed I was deathly afraid to play as him. We needed to keep Zero alive until the end to get X the Beam Sabre, plus after a certain point of getting upgrades X far surpasses Zero in usefulness. Conceptually I love that you can play as Zero in this game, but mechanically it's kind of disappointing. When we do X4 (yes, we are absolutely doing X4 and probably every X game thereafter) you can bet I'm going to be playing as Zero. Also as Worklurker pointed out there is a fanpatch that allows you to play as Zero indefinitely, which I will be showcasing after the main playthrough. I will also be using that time to showcase things like the charged weapons and optional / alternate bosses we missed the first time around.

Also thanks! I'm glad you like our LPs and I hope we can continue to entertain. :)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The major problem with zero is that, while he sounds like he'd be a blast to play, he's slower than X and considerably less mobile, and his beam saber is hard as hell to use. Combined with the aforementioned problem that if you get him killed at any point he dies for good and you not only lose out on the best ending but you don't get the beam saber as a consolation prize unless he dies to that specific bug boss.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Just so I understand correctly, if you don't have the Buster Upgrade, X will just swing the Z-Saber like Zero does, and not shoot it out?

Huh. I never knew that. Does it do the same amount of damage?

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Tallgeese posted:

Just so I understand correctly, if you don't have the Buster Upgrade, X will just swing the Z-Saber like Zero does, and not shoot it out?

Huh. I never knew that. Does it do the same amount of damage?

That is correct, I believe that when the actual sword part connects it does the same damage, but I think the shockwave might do more damage total since it does the initial impact and then additional hits afterwards.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 09 (Finale) - Bots N' Babes

This is going to wrap up the main playthrough, but because we sacrificed Zero to get the Beam Sabre we got the "bad ending". We'll be going back and showcasing things like the charged weapons, alternate bosses we missed, and the "good ending", as well as the nifty fanpatch that Worklurker mentioned to let you play as Zero all the time. I need to figure out when Alden and I can sit down for a recording session again, but I should be able to get it out fairly soon. Anyways, thanks everybody for sticking around!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I always hated these Sigma fights.

But the idea of Dr. Norton "Symantec"' McAffe or something being an MMX boss would be entertaining.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

For future reference, you can refill your Sub-Tanks with the head chip that refills your energy when standing still. Just take a break from playing and make a sandwich, or just press the speed-up button on the emulator.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004

FeyerbrandX posted:

But the idea of Dr. Norton "Symantec"' McAffe or something being an MMX boss would be entertaining.
There's this video of John McAfee trying to uninstall his own program, it makes your idea even better. It's quite NSFW. I'll remove it if this is way too off-topic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Nice Cartoon Network reference, there. I thought I was the last person left on earth who pulled out the "With utility belt" reference.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
Hey Ceraph, in an older video (I think in MMX2?) you guys mentioned wanting to change out the speed up music, and I think I found the perfect candidate. Any part of this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXEQtU-VX8

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

K-ParAdoX posted:

Hey Ceraph, in an older video (I think in MMX2?) you guys mentioned wanting to change out the speed up music, and I think I found the perfect candidate. Any part of this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXEQtU-VX8

Haha that's a pretty good candidate, I may just have to use that in the future.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004

Ceraph posted:

Haha that's a pretty good candidate, I may just have to use that in the future.

Wow, that was a shot in the dark on a weird rear end band I listen to every now and again. I'm glad you dig it!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

K-ParAdoX posted:

Wow, that was a shot in the dark on a weird rear end band I listen to every now and again. I'm glad you dig it!

Weird rear end band?! Soul Coughing is amazing!

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Weird rear end band?! Soul Coughing is amazing!

As someone IN a weird rear end band, I totally meant it as a compliment. I love Soul Coughing unabashedly.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

K-ParAdoX posted:

As someone IN a weird rear end band, I totally meant it as a compliment. I love Soul Coughing unabashedly.

I'm legit impressed there's someone out there who knows a Soul Coughing song other than Unmarked Helicopters.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'm legit impressed there's someone out there who knows a Soul Coughing song other than Unmarked Helicopters.

I was first exposed by way of super early Cartoon Network playing "Rolling" synced to some old cartoon, then "Circles" synced up to Flintstones, all when I was probably too young to be listening to them at all. Then me and my cousin got really into trance and found BT ft. Mike Doughty "Never Gonna Come Back Down", then I decided to go buy El Oso and history was made for me. "St. Louise is Listening" is probably my favorite, and up until 3:22 ago, I hadn't heard "Unmarked Helicopters". Thanks for that!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That's the song you find most people know? I usually hear everyone say Super Bon Bon.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Drowning Rabbit posted:

That's the song you find most people know? I usually hear everyone say Super Bon Bon.

I knew a lot of X-Files fans back in the day, and all of them owned Songs In The Key of X.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I have met a decent number of people who even if they didn't know Soul Coughing had at some point heard Super Bon Bon, 16 Horses, or Circles.

Shame Ricky Martin ripped off Super Bon Bon.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
It's implied in another ending (the one where Zero doesn't die, and he jumps in and beam sabres Vector Sigma) that Zero carries the Sigma virus. But yeah, this is the first time we hear about that.

Thanks for the LP! Even though I played the hell out of MMX3 on my SNES, I never knew about the golden chip or the beam sabre.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Or is it Sputnik posted:

It's implied in another ending (the one where Zero doesn't die, and he jumps in and beam sabres Vector Sigma) that Zero carries the Sigma virus. But yeah, this is the first time we hear about that.

He does, sort of. The "Sigma Virus" was created by Wily and Zero was the original carrier, though once it infected Sigma something happened and sigma sort of became the virus somehow.

This is gone over in the Day of Sigma OVA that comes with Maverick Hunter X.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Kurieg posted:

He does, sort of. The "Sigma Virus" was created by Wily and Zero was the original carrier, though once it infected Sigma something happened and sigma sort of became the virus somehow.

This is gone over in the Day of Sigma OVA that comes with Maverick Hunter X.

It's also revealed in a cutscene in Mega Man X4 that shows Sigma as a Maverick Hunter facing down against a manic Zero. For some reason a "W" (I can only assume it stands for "Wily") reveals itself on the crystal on Zero's forehead right when he is about to kill Sigma. I always assumed this meant that the virus or perhaps some remnant of Wily in Zero's programming decided Sigma was a better host and prevented Zero from killing him while at the same time transferring to Sigma. Sigma does also mention that he "wants to have that Maverick studied" so you could also infer that his infection wasn't complete at that time but occurred while Zero was back at Maverick Hunter HQ, perhaps even a self inflicted transfer.

I haven't thought about this a lot, I don't know what you're talking about.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Super Bonus - Symantec Sword

Like a phoenix from the ashes I rise again to give you a super bonus episode! We showcase The Zero Project mod that lets you play as Zero the entire time as well as the alternate bosses we missed in the main playthrough and the other (and as far as I know canon) ending. This will actually wrap up this LP, so thanks again for sticking around and I'll catch you guys at the next one.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
What's the deal with Vile wearing a mask all the time? What's wrong with his FAAAAAAAAACE?

As usual, good LP. Now that you've finished with the promised bonus episode, X3 won't be havnting you anymore. Any chance you guys know when you'll be doing X4?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bit and Byte's combined form actually has a name. It is, I poo poo you not, Godkarmachine O Inary.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Mr. Soop posted:

What's the deal with Vile wearing a mask all the time? What's wrong with his FAAAAAAAAACE?

As usual, good LP. Now that you've finished with the promised bonus episode, X3 won't be havnting you anymore. Any chance you guys know when you'll be doing X4?

As far as the regular LP of it goes we've got a couple games on the chopping block ahead of X4, so my best guess would be sometime early 2016. If you're not the patient type I will be doing a livestream Mega Man marathon for Extra Life this year (November 7th - 8th) over on our twitch channel and I'm sure that I'll be able to get to X4 before the 24 hours are up. You can always check that out if it floats your boat!

Kurieg posted:

Bit and Byte's combined form actually has a name. It is, I poo poo you not, Godkarmachine O Inary.

Sometimes I wonder if Capcom holds "Let Your Kids Name Bosses Day" events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think the "fight Zero" line is in reference to the end of X2 where it suggests that Zero is Dr. Wily's creation, and the outright admission in X4 that is indeed the case. Also it's been a long time since I've played X5 but I think you do fight your partner in one of the Sigma stages so it does eventually pan out.

• Locked thread