Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jackard posted:

No map right now but if you mean the rocky sandbar in the middle of the southern coast, that's where we're at on primitive 464.

No, by NE mountain

http://www.ark-survival.net/en/dynamic-livemap/?mapid=1712120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kriegman1
Aug 18, 2015

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I'm interested in this game but the OP says this game tops out at 20 fps. Is this still true? The one thing that had me quit both DayZ and H1Z1 was the horrible performance. I don't understand how anyone can aim or or do anything productive when the entire game is a stuttering slideshow. Why can't any of these survival games figure it out?

I have an older mid-range Geforce 760GT with some overclocking (nothing crazy). After adjusting few visual settings in game my FPS is well with in playable range, 40 to 65 FPS depending on the terrain and amount of structures in view.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Nahrix posted:

On an official server, you don't send trikes after a T-Rex. I think that, while devastating to lose your stuff, official servers instill a fear in you that makes you learn faster, play better, and enjoy the times you aren't losing your stuff way more.

That's the thing though, I didn't send them after a T-Rex. The player just randomly came out of the forest and wrecked my poo poo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Azhais posted:

I, too, enjoy sitting around with my thumb up my rear end for 12 hours while a rex tames only to have it killed by ants at the last second.

If it takes you more than 3 you are doing it wrong. And a clever goon can get it to about 1:30.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I really appreciate that this game rewards crafting and building as much as combat. I play on a private server with a few friends and I tend to avoid any kind of fighting, but I don't struggle to keep up with the others in level at all, which is always a huge frustration in multiplayer games for me.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nahrix posted:

You lure the Rex to your base, and tame it in a pre-built taming pen where it can be safe, returning to it to fill it up on narco + meat every now and again , while you play the game normally in the meantime.

Most of the complaints about the official server "grinds" and their consequences are just failures to think critically about the problem.

You put a fridge or two in the taming pen. When the rex gets about halfway starved you go alpha raptor hunting and put the prime in the fridge. At 500 food you mass dump the prime into the rex. Blammo. 3 hour tame.

Alternatively you wait till you have kibble to tame and get a 1.5 hour tame.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
If I'm just starting out would it be unwise to join up with goons on 82 or 40? A few friends play on 45 and that's where my character is now, but I might host a singleplayer game with accelerated rates so I can get a better idea of what I'm doing.
Strangely not everyone is a dickhead. Some guy noticed I was new and gave me a bow with a good number of arrows. :shobon:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Why would you not want to play with your friends?

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

nelson posted:

Why would you not want to play with your friends?

They aren't always online due to classes starting up in a week or so. Our schedules don't often line up as-is, so I figured I'd make multiple characters unless ARK doesn't let you do that.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

jaffyjaffy posted:

They aren't always online due to classes starting up in a week or so. Our schedules don't often line up as-is, so I figured I'd make multiple characters unless ARK doesn't let you do that.

you can make as many characters as you want, you can filter out servers that you have characters on by switching the filter to "your survivors" on the server screen in the bottom left corner

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Anyone else knows hidden stats? all I know are oxygen increases swim speed, movement speed increases swim speed, fortitude increases "armor" and helps from being shot and fall damage.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

jaffyjaffy posted:

If I'm just starting out would it be unwise to join up with goons on 82 or 40?
Currently your options are official 82, 360, or primitive 464.

They have an established presence on 82 but some are starting over again on 360. Certain goons have an irrational fear of 40 due to old tribe bugs despite it having been explained more than once that these no longer exist if you join the new tribe.

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters

Jackard posted:

Currently your options are official 82, 360, or primitive 464.

They have an established presence on 82 but some are starting over again on 360. Certain goons have an irrational fear of 40 due to old tribe bugs despite it having been explained more than once that these no longer exist if you join the new tribe.

If you suffered at the hands of the bug then I will respect your opinion. Almost made the game unplayable when you were getting eaten by your own dinos when you logged in and had to find MIA admins because it reverted the admins list to people that weren't playing. Most of the reason we switched servers was because of that cursed tribe database.

I know it is prolly fixed now, but why risk it?

now stop saying server numbers. this isn't PGS.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

jestest posted:

If you suffered at the hands of the bug then I will respect your opinion. Almost made the game unplayable when you were getting eaten by your own dinos when you logged in and had to find MIA admins because it reverted the admins list to people that weren't playing. Most of the reason we switched servers was because of that cursed tribe database. I know it is prolly fixed now, but why risk it?
As one of the original admins I was unaffected aside from reinviting people and the merger locking me out of my house. After the server wipe we started a new tribe, recruiting everyone who remained - not a single person ran into the bug again. Quit repeating this superstitious garbage.

quote:

Are you loving kidding me?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 19, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

jestest posted:

*looks at the OP*

A bit late for that.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Welp, the stories I'm hearing on steam/reddit is as I feared. The monkey requires too much baby sitting with no middle ground between junk food (berry/raw meat) and kibble. If there was a prime, it would be tedious, but not to this level. This guy seems to be running around the same times as trikes or stegos. However, you have to baby sit those hours by tossing it a berry every few minutes while tiptoeing around its agro radius. I hope you have a full day set aside if you plan to tame a 120. Particularly without kibble. Kibble would bring it to 2 hours, but there is still the babysitting.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JuffoWup posted:

Welp, the stories I'm hearing on steam/reddit is as I feared. The monkey requires too much baby sitting with no middle ground between junk food (berry/raw meat) and kibble. If there was a prime, it would be tedious, but not to this level. This guy seems to be running around the same times as trikes or stegos. However, you have to baby sit those hours by tossing it a berry every few minutes while tiptoeing around its agro radius. I hope you have a full day set aside if you plan to tame a 120. Particularly without kibble. Kibble would bring it to 2 hours, but there is still the babysitting.

At least they've seen one, I can't find a single goddamn apeman for my life.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Magmarashi posted:

At least they've seen one, I can't find a single goddamn apeman for my life.

the valleys just north of green obelisk seem to be a common spot to find them, and the valleys between the volcano and middle mountain.

I'm on a 1.5x taming server and a 32 ape took about 30 minutes to spoon feed berries, so they're not 100% awful in that regard.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

JuffoWup posted:

gently caress. That.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rhymenoserous posted:

gently caress. That.

actually, the "every few minutes" is wrong. the first couple are about a minute each, then he'll take a berry about ever 10 seconds. If they're waiting that long that might be the problem.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
One solution for the wondering I've seen is to build a little shack with a hole in the top for feeding. That doesn't change the waiting around to feed the fucker berries every 5 min though. The throwing gimmick seems pretty useless, and unless they have really great damage scaling or something there is no reason to even bother with 5 hours of berry feeding.

And I just wanted an animal friend to put hats on. :(

Edit:
Even if the berry rate speeds up, that mean you can't even really go around to get more berries or do other productive things.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ComradeBigT posted:

One solution for the wondering I've seen is to build a little shack with a hole in the top for feeding.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/521643320348917309/

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Azhais posted:

the valleys just north of green obelisk seem to be a common spot to find them, and the valleys between the volcano and middle mountain.

I'm on a 1.5x taming server and a 32 ape took about 30 minutes to spoon feed berries, so they're not 100% awful in that regard.

Think again on what you just said.

"I tamed a low level dino on a 1.5x tame server in 30 minutes, so it isn't bad guys!"

What I read is "this low level dino would take you 45 minutes on an official, get hosed as you look into the 100s".

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
On the flipside I don't know why you'd want a 100s ape anyway, they're not that useful for much. They only gather fiber while wandering around on their own, not following or ridden. Really you pen them in with a re-fertilizer and forget about them other than to get the fiber.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

Azhais posted:

On the flipside I don't know why you'd want a 100s ape anyway, they're not that useful for much. They only gather fiber while wandering around on their own, not following or ridden. Really you pen them in with a re-fertilizer and forget about them other than to get the fiber.

That's why I'm curious about the damage scaling. Earlier today there were some posts on the steam forums about the ape in SOTF and people whining about them just dominating other dinos. One of the devs even replied indicating they'll be out of that gamemode for a bit while they rebalance. Can't really find the link on mobile right now but it does indicate that they can do decent damage at least.

If they don't do much damage though, gently caress even trying.

Edit
Found the link
http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/521643320349322775/

ComradeBigT fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 20, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ComradeBigT posted:

That's why I'm curious about the damage scaling. Earlier today there were some posts on the steam forums about the ape in SOTF and people whining about them just dominating other dinos. One of the devs even replied indicating they'll be out of that gamemode for a bit while they rebalance. Can't really find the link on mobile right now but it does indicate that they can do decent damage at least.

If they don't do much damage though, gently caress even trying.

They kill things well enough if leveled up for it and don't require a saddle so if you have access to Carnos those are likely better as attack mounts

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Azhais posted:

On the flipside I don't know why you'd want a 100s ape anyway

Do people really not know the answer to this question? Because it's a higher number than a lower number. Nobody ever went for the low score.

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

*looks at the OP*

A bit late for that.

ha didn't even realize.

Jackard posted:

As one of the original admins I was unaffected aside from reinviting people and the merger locking me out of my house. After the server wipe we started a new tribe, recruiting everyone who remained - not a single person ran into the bug again. Quit repeating this superstitious garbage.

Are you loving kidding me?

Have you guys built up anything on new 40 so far? weren't you playing some under tribe gypsies?

and i'm only worried about people creeping us because 360 is actually a challenge and they keep killing dinos in what should be fairly remote bases.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
From what I understand if you fly around and gently caress with your graphics in the right way, you can see player made structures long before you see trees and stuff. So there's no way to really 100% hide anything.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

jestest posted:

Have you guys built up anything on new 40 so far? weren't you playing some under tribe gypsies? and i'm only worried about people creeping us because 360 is actually a challenge and they keep killing dinos in what should be fairly remote bases.
Man, just look at your PGS thread. People are already 'creeping' you.

Gypsies is the name of our tribe on Official 40. Stop scaring people off every time the subject comes up and we might see some action there.
Pyke is the tribe on Primitive 464.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

From what I understand if you fly around and gently caress with your graphics in the right way, you can see player made structures long before you see trees and stuff. So there's no way to really 100% hide anything.
That takes some effort though; the most common way of sighting is using the orbit camera combined with low view distance in the standard options, and this does not remove trees. Best way to hide your base is using folds in the terrain and bedrock.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 20, 2015

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
So with a bunch of goons playing this all over this place, I thought it would be fun if someone could set up a SOTF server, something that could maybe be like 3 hours long and Goon only.

Top 3 get prizes and I would be willing to donate a cert or something as one of the prizes. Maybe some steam codes or something as other prizes. It would be fun and not take as long as an ankly tame and maybe someone could record/stream it.

If this idea has merit then :justpost:

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

TeeMerk posted:

So with a bunch of goons playing this all over this place, I thought it would be fun if someone could set up a SOTF server, something that could maybe be like 3 hours long and Goon only.

Top 3 get prizes and I would be willing to donate a cert or something as one of the prizes. Maybe some steam codes or something as other prizes. It would be fun and not take as long as an ankly tame and maybe someone could record/stream it.

If this idea has merit then :justpost:

sounds fun, best use of goon on goon violence imo

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Trip report: tamed a 96 ape yesterday, got him to about 50% two times and a dilo came up and aggroed him. After killing the dilo his tame bar reset both times.

After that I fenced off a valley with spike walls and lured him in. Got it to 90% but hosed up and got to close. He turned on me got a hit in before I could back off and my Argent jumped in to help me. Got on my Argent and flew him out of the valley and reset the aggro on the ape. Came back and the tame was reset.

Queue the forth try. I built this taming corral next to the southern most cave so I built a stone doorway in the entrance that I could fit in that he could not. Started taming and retreated into the cave when he aggroed me. You can sit 10 feet from him and he will reset without dropping the tame so it seems as long as he doesn't aggro another dino the taming doesn't reset.

Tldr: don't let your ape aggro or get aggroed by other dinos or the taming resets.

Also in regards to their fighting ability, their knock back is really useful like the trikes, I was able to kill raptors and carnos with little trouble.l if I timed the hits right. A trike took him down to 50% though and he has 3k hp so that was odd.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
On the successful attempt how long did it take to tame it/with what food?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I like the new Q&A they had. Organic turrets are grown in crop plots, stone-gathering armadillo early next week.

quote:

Survivor, Repzo asks, “Why don't mounted dinos always loot their kills?”

Ah! When implementing the looting feature we made it so that the Loot would not be harvested if a creature would go above 50% weight from harvesting a remote inventory, to prevent randomly becoming encumbered in a combat situation.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/521643320351409310/

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

On the successful attempt how long did it take to tame it/with what food?

My servers rates are increased but it took a little less than a trike. I used mejo berries but the type of berry didn't seem to matter from what I could tell.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Jackard posted:

I like the new Q&A they had. Organic turrets are grown in crop plots, stone-gathering armadillo early next week.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/521643320351409310/

The best part of this game is the dev team. They do a great job with these Digests. They really give you some insight into what they are doing without spoiling too much. Every week I get so excited for the potential this game has.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
After reading that I have come to the conclusion that we are getting a new map that will be mostly desert.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
*sigh*

I was really hoping they'd answer mine about their dino balancing. Particularly with herbivores that are just ranks of berry gathering as you go up in saddles. Although, one idea I kept toying was answered with another person's which is about stone structures taking reduced damage, but some damage from herbivores (say, stego, anky, and bronto) as siege type dinos. But no, they don't plan to change stone from being dino immune for offline defense needs. But it is ok for an alpha to come barreling through a stone base to rip it open on primitive servers.

How are primitives anyway. From what I've gathered, your home is pretty much a pve site where no attacker can raid because it is stone. And this leaves the pvp to just random encounters in the wild. Bonus points go to herbivore island for naturally defending you against alpha animals rampaging through your home.

Oh, other bit of news with that organic turret. As expected, it grows in a crop plot. But crop plots will soon be able to be placed on structures. Thank god, I can soon enclose my home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Use carrots or corn or taters instead of berries to tame herbivores. Kibble is even better of course.