Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Thanks for a good tutorial! I'm not going whole hog, I'll just try to work with adding a second layer of paint over the base paint and the hair spray, and see how it works. The plan is to give a white wash to a Sd. Kfz. 251 that I have built but not painted if it works, by painting white over the hair spray and then rub it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

wtfbacon posted:

Complete!

Happy to say that I was able to put the final finishing touches on the 1/35 Jagdpanther last night. Really happy with the end result. Took about a month and a half from opening the box till now. Painted with Tamiyas and Vallejos using the hairspray chipping method. Weathered with oils and pastel powders. Camo netting is medical gauze from an old first aid kit.

I have to admit that the ideas for the bare hub and broken tracks on the left side were stolen from a recently-posted feature at armorama. For the former, I cut and sanded one of the road wheels down to make just the hub. I was terrified I'd botch it and be left without a wheel. :ohdear: But it turned out all right.

Scalemates Project Page with WIP albums and a rundown of included parts.

Full imgur album with some specific comments on photos and techniques.

Constructive criticism and feedback is always welcome. I'm still learning and fumbling my way through this whole process, but I'm really happy with the way this kit turned out.

Looks absolutely excellent. I think your greatest strength is not just how well you have applied all the techniques and materials you have used but that you have got the application spot on and not over done it, which is very easy to do. It gives a lovely realistic finish.

You say that you are not happy with the netting in your imgur comments. I've only done netting this scale once before and that was also using stretched medical gauze. I briefly soaked it in very very diluted PVA glue and then draped in on. It not only glues it to the surface but it really contours the netting to the surface and looks a bit more weighty and to scale. You could test it out on an old model or something, see what you think.

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

You know, big_g, I did exactly what you mentioned. Thinned PVA glue, medical gauze, test model... the whole 9 yards. It turned out so terribly, that's why I didn't glue this camo net to the Jagdpanther. :) Generally speaking, the response to the model is that it looks good, but that the camo netting is "meh." I might just pull it off of there and call it a day. I had kinda mixed feelings on it when I was finishing up last night.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

wtfbacon posted:

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

You know, big_g, I did exactly what you mentioned. Thinned PVA glue, medical gauze, test model... the whole 9 yards. It turned out so terribly, that's why I didn't glue this camo net to the Jagdpanther. :) Generally speaking, the response to the model is that it looks good, but that the camo netting is "meh." I might just pull it off of there and call it a day. I had kinda mixed feelings on it when I was finishing up last night.

Oh never mind then. I just looked back through my image folders and found the model I tried it on from forever ago (Obviously WIP). You live and learn.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I know some people will take the netting and brush glue on it, then scatter miniature leaves or ground scatter on it to replicated that type of camo netting.

Or if all else fails, I know a few companies out there sell professionally made camo netting (not sure their names though).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

wtfbacon posted:

Complete!

Happy to say that I was able to put the final finishing touches on the 1/35 Jagdpanther last night. Really happy with the end result. Took about a month and a half from opening the box till now. Painted with Tamiyas and Vallejos using the hairspray chipping method. Weathered with oils and pastel powders. Camo netting is medical gauze from an old first aid kit.

Constructive criticism and feedback is always welcome. I'm still learning and fumbling my way through this whole process, but I'm really happy with the way this kit turned out.

I have no criticism (constructive or otherwise), that thing looks fantastic! I'm kind of afraid to really get back into plastic modeling because of all the amazing painting techniques I'd need to master to get results like this. The paint on the ship is really simple. :)

euclidian88 posted:

Update on my model ship still have to do the sails.

It is the advanced version of a beginner model I did with my father when I was 10.

Also showing off my new bath mat!

Yay a boat! Looks great. In addition to sails, looks like you have some spars/yards still to add as well. :v:

In the theme from the last page of "oh my god", have a figurehead from a model of the HMS Pegasus made by some Russian guy who is apparently a loving magician or something.

:stare:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Did... did he use acorn stalks for the trumpets? :stare:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Never doubt the east Europeans when it comes to crafts, man that poo poo is slick.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I feel bad, but I know where I'd be aiming my swivel guns if I came across that in a battle.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The San Diego Maritime Museum had a special display last I was there of a bunch of model ships/ships in a bottle made by sailor POWs.
It was the coolest.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

No one is going to mention the horse's expression in the first pic?

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

The I don't think the bowsprit goes there but it feels so good expression?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jonny Nox posted:

That's one happy horse.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Has anyone used Easy-Cast, and has any opinions on it? I've already got some Envirotex Lite, and some Realistic Water, but I'd like to be able to do a single pour if I can. Easy-Cast seems like it should do the trick, and I don't want to have to move up to the more expensive and harder to use pro stuff like Smooth-On products (which work great, but they can be finicky)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

My guess is that the artist was going for a 'bared teeth' charger headed into battle. It's pretty hard for me to be critical of the horse's expression given the amazing talent displayed in the carving overall.

-----------------

I ripped the swivel gun pedestal off, moved it all of an 8th of an inch or so, re-attached it and repainted everything, then finished the lanyards. For the other side I added a now completed swivel gun, because I think they came out really cool so I just wanted it in the pictures!

I attached the bowsprit next. I made a new strap for the bowsprit a while back because the original was a cast fitting that didn't fit my bowsprit right. The strap on the base is made out of 5 separate pieces of brass soldered together. It's secured to the bowsprit with a pair of 1mm micro-rivets, one on either side. Another pair secure the strap to the deck. The head of these tiny rivets is 1mm in diameter.

I also made a new gannon strap for the bowsprit, because I somehow managed to drop and lose the cast fitting from the kit. It's just a simple strap, so it was pretty easy. I also used the 1mm micro-rivets to secure it to the stem.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Locator posted:

I also made a new gannon strap for the bowsprit, because I somehow managed to drop and lose the cast fitting from the kit. It's just a simple strap, so it was pretty easy. I also used the 1mm micro-rivets to secure it to the stem.
For some reason the font I'm using made me think you'd stuck the bowsprit to the STERN instead of the STEM and I was all :derp: for a second because I imagined it'd be ruined and you'd have to toss the whole ship out and start again.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

For some reason the font I'm using made me think you'd stuck the bowsprit to the STERN instead of the STEM and I was all :derp: for a second because I imagined it'd be ruined and you'd have to toss the whole ship out and start again.

Hahaha.. that would be a feat that I'm not sure I could manage even if I wanted to! It would be pretty funny though, right until it sunk in and then.. :suicide:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Are the swivel-guns breech loaders? Because I'm wondering how they would have reloaded the one you just moved.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Jeherrin posted:

Are the swivel-guns breech loaders? Because I'm wondering how they would have reloaded the one you just moved.

Swivel them vertically?

Or some poor sailor has to hang out on the ratlines.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I tried to build a model WW2 destroyer after not doing any of this since I was a teenager (so, like 20 years). I was swearing at it for hours yesterday while carefully filing things down because the superstructure assembly wouldn't fit properly into the deck assembly. I finally got it into place and glued it in, walked away while waiting for the superglue to hold properly, and came back to finally figure out that the resaon it wouldn't go together was that I was putting it on backwards So that kit's ruined. The instruction had the stern towards me for every step, but it changed for that one step and I dind't notice. :suicide:

Anyway, I ransacked some of my stored crap and found an unbuilt 1/72 airfix SDKFZ.222 and Kubelwagen set, so I decided to try that instead thinking "it's simple enough that I probably can't gently caress it up". It went really smoothly apart from the bumper part flicking across the room and taking 10 minutes to find again.

I painted it this afternon and evening, and I'm going to go get some clear coat to do decals tomorrow. I might try my hand at putting it into a diorama, I dunno. Cellphone pics make it look metallic, but in real life it's flat.

Advice would be appreciated, like I said I haven't really done anything like this for ages apart from painting some D&D figures.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 20, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That Airfix set is great. I really love it. You've done a good job there.

As for the Destroyer kit, just try save it. Superglue is easy enough to pop off stuff and you can proooobably fix whatever you broke. Think of it as a challenge.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

That Airfix set is great. I really love it. You've done a good job there.

As for the Destroyer kit, just try save it. Superglue is easy enough to pop off stuff and you can proooobably fix whatever you broke. Think of it as a challenge.

Thanks!

I tried pulling the boat apart, but because of the way the "walls" of the superstructure attached to the deck, it's impossible to get them free. I couldn't even cut them off.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If it's a waterline kit smash up the superstructure a bit and model it as an in-progress wreck, the build a battleship in the same scale doin' the wreckin'.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

Advice would be appreciated, like I said I haven't really done anything like this for ages apart from painting some D&D figures.

It's looking really good, but I would always recommend doing the decals before any kind of weathering or shading otherwise, they may be too bright and stand out like a sore thumb.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

Swivel them vertically?

Or some poor sailor has to hang out on the ratlines.

It looks like the handle would make the first option impossible, unless I'm completely misinterpreting the photographs.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The swivel guns are not breach loading. This may be another case of the model designer not building for accuracy, or like many things on warships of that era, the crew just had to deal with it by a combination of turning the gun as far as possible, and swabbing/ramming the gun while leaning outside the ship. The main deck guns are just as bad, as the muzzle will barely come inboard beyond the bulwarks on a couple of them, so they would have to be loaded by either working inside the gun port, or from outside, or some combination.

I guess the other alternative for the swivel guns would just be man-handling them off the rail mount, loading them, and then sticking them back up on the mount to fire.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

big_g posted:

It's looking really good, but I would always recommend doing the decals before any kind of weathering or shading otherwise, they may be too bright and stand out like a sore thumb.

In hindsight, that's blindingly obvious.

I'm not sure the exact order to paint in, then. From what I've been reading, I should gloss clearcoat before decals, then matte clearcoat after? If I'm going to weather, I do it after the decals but before the matte coat?

Arquinsiel posted:

If it's a waterline kit smash up the superstructure a bit and model it as an in-progress wreck, the build a battleship in the same scale doin' the wreckin'.

I'll keep the semi-finished kit around for exactly this, but it sounds like it'd be a bit too ambitious for me at the moment.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

The swivel guns are not breach loading. This may be another case of the model designer not building for accuracy, or like many things on warships of that era, the crew just had to deal with it by a combination of turning the gun as far as possible, and swabbing/ramming the gun while leaning outside the ship. The main deck guns are just as bad, as the muzzle will barely come inboard beyond the bulwarks on a couple of them, so they would have to be loaded by either working inside the gun port, or from outside, or some combination.

I guess the other alternative for the swivel guns would just be man-handling them off the rail mount, loading them, and then sticking them back up on the mount to fire.

Thank God for flexible rammers!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

AlphaDog posted:

I tried to build a model WW2 destroyer after not doing any of this since I was a teenager (so, like 20 years). I was swearing at it for hours yesterday while carefully filing things down because the superstructure assembly wouldn't fit properly into the deck assembly. I finally got it into place and glued it in, walked away while waiting for the superglue to hold properly, and came back to finally figure out that the resaon it wouldn't go together was that I was putting it on backwards So that kit's ruined. The instruction had the stern towards me for every step, but it changed for that one step and I dind't notice. :suicide:

Anyway, I ransacked some of my stored crap and found an unbuilt 1/72 airfix SDKFZ.222 and Kubelwagen set, so I decided to try that instead thinking "it's simple enough that I probably can't gently caress it up". It went really smoothly apart from the bumper part flicking across the room and taking 10 minutes to find again.

I painted it this afternon and evening, and I'm going to go get some clear coat to do decals tomorrow. I might try my hand at putting it into a diorama, I dunno. Cellphone pics make it look metallic, but in real life it's flat.

Oh man, I put this kit together very many years ago! Yours looks much better than mine though, I went way overboard on weathering.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

The Locator posted:

Thanks! I'd not considered model inaccuracies. Your build is so good that I'd just subconsciously assumed it was exact in every way.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

In hindsight, that's blindingly obvious.

I'm not sure the exact order to paint in, then. From what I've been reading, I should gloss clearcoat before decals, then matte clearcoat after? If I'm going to weather, I do it after the decals but before the matte coat?

Once you get a bit more experience things will just start to make more sense and feel natural.

I would normally do something along the lines of:

1. Base coats and any details
2. Gloss - to protect the base coats
3. Decals - go on nice over a gloss coat and you can safely use what ever solvent of choice to set them
4. Gloss - protect the decals
5. Washes - These will flow better over the gloss
6. Matt - to lose the gloss finish
7. Pigments and pastels last over the matt as they stick better over the matt finish and any final varnish over them, will potentially ruin them.

Bear in mind every job is different and depending on what techniques you are using or what finish you want you will just have to plan for yourself.

big_g fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 20, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Jeherrin posted:

Thanks! I'd not considered model inaccuracies. Your build is so good that I'd just subconsciously assumed it was exact in every way.

Hah! Thanks for the compliment, but no, the model is not exact in every way, as it's not even really a model of a real ship. The kit is a model of a 'generic' type of ship, not actually a model of a ship that actually existed, and there is actually some debate over whether this particular type of ship ever existed as a privateer at all. It's basically a Bermuda sloop rigged ship with guns added, and quite a few scale and design issues, but I had no idea about any of that when I started it. I doubt that the knowledge would have changed my mind about building it in any case, as overall it's quite a well done kit, and it met all of the criteria I had for selecting it at the time after building my first ship.

The lessons I learned on the first ship, which was a fairly cheap imported 1:80 scale kit were put into a list of 'criteria' to choose my second project.

1) Larger scale. I had a very difficult time with some of the things on the Carmen at 1:80 scale. The AVS is 1:48 scale, which is one of the larger scales that you can get in wooden kits unless you are doing small boats.
2) Single mast. I wanted to do a much better job on the rigging in my second build, but at the same time I wanted to keep it relatively simple, hence, 1 mast. The single square sail is going to add a lot of complication though.
3) Close spacing of the false frames. The Carmen had almost the same length of hull, and fewer than half the number of false frames (bulkheads).
4) A few guns. I wanted to move into guns and rigging, but didn't want to go crazy and have to make a bunch of them. AVS has 6 cannon plus 8 swivels.
5) Fore and aft rigged. Again, to keep the rigging fairly simple. AVS does have a single square topsail in addition to the fore and aft rig.

Also, I thought it was just a really great looking ship when finished.

Once I got into the build is when I started learning about the questionable aspects of the 'historical' accuracy of the kit, and ran into some of the scale problems, but I don't think any of that really matters in the end, as I'm not building it as a perfect scale model of a real ship anyway. I try to do what I can to keep it accurate to the period - for example I changed the way the deck planks meet the edge - the kit calls for a 'nibbing strake' where the deck planks butt into it, but those were not used until the very start of the 19th century, so I changed mine to what is called 'hook and scarf' joints. But other than minor stuff like that, I'm just building it to hopefully be a pretty model to display when I'm done.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Victory has now reached the full length of her rib structure.

I've also finished the exterior of the ships launch and have begun working on the interior.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

The Victory has now reached the full length of her rib structure.

I've also finished the exterior of the ships launch and have begun working on the interior.

Very nice. What is the overall length of the hull approximately?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

Very nice. What is the overall length of the hull approximately?

The model itself is billed as 1:84, so it should be 83 cm

DeAgostini says it's 1250 mm long but they're including the bowsprit.

Right now the structure is 70 cm long, so when the gallery and stem are added i think we'll end up around the 83 cm mark.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

Right now the structure is 70 cm long, so when the gallery and stem are added i think we'll end up around the 83 cm mark.

That's a good sized model. Your hull when complete will be roughly 4cm longer than the overall length of my ship as measured from the tip of the boom over the stern to the tip of the bowsprit sticking way the hell out front.

Just your *hull* is a bit more than an inch longer than this, and I'm sure it's much, much fatter. :)

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

Just your *hull* is a bit more than an inch longer than this, and I'm sure it's much, much fatter. :)

Way fatter, and with the new paintjob Victory is getting she'll look even more like a bumblebee instead of an angry wasp.

New colour in the middle.

Haven't completely decided yet if I'll adopt the new colour but I rather think not.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Which color is the new one, the darker ochre color or the one that is more pale looking?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

Which color is the new one, the darker ochre color or the one that is more pale looking?

The pale dirty beige is the new one, which is supposedly the coat she wore at Trafalgar, or so the shipyard decided after they went through 82 layers of paint on the ship.

I liked it very much at first but the more I look at it, the more it disagrees with me. Too boring maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator:

I found a site through MSW that lets you sort ship models in all sorts of ways. They listed a few beginner models that also have planking, and I think I may try my hand at one.

The ones I liked are all Caldercraft, who lists Snake as their beginner model, but it's $350. The other site says the Cutter Sherbourne model is also a good beginner one, and it's only $130. That seems like an okay investment to try something.

I think you recommended something else in that price range at some point, but the Sherbourne is at least from the era I enjoy. Do you think that'd be a good one?