Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Oddly enough, Disappearance and Endless Eight are around the same length. (D: 164 min, EE: 176 min)

they make a cool double feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was thinking about the schedule today and thought of this propose idea for how to watch past season 1.

8/17 - Episodes 1 and 2
8/19 - Episodes 3 and 4
8/21 - Episodes 5 and 6
8/24 - Episodes 7 and 8
8/26 - Episodes 9 and 10
8/28 - Episodes 11 and 12
8/31 - Episodes 13 and 14
9/2 - Episode 15, Break
9/11 - Endless Eight Marathon
9/XX - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya
9/XX - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Thoughts?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I honestly only check back to the order we're watching once every week. As it stands are we planning to just do straight up broadcast order?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I honestly only check back to the order we're watching once every week. As it stands are we planning to just do straight up broadcast order?

Yeah broadcast order for everything. I think pausing after we wrap up season one and then tackling each season 2 arc separately makes sense because then it's all chronological stories in very discrete chunks.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

I like this

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: I don't know what episode we're on

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

I was thinking about the schedule today and thought of this propose idea for how to watch past season 1.

8/17 - Episodes 1 and 2
8/19 - Episodes 3 and 4
8/21 - Episodes 5 and 6
8/24 - Episodes 7 and 8
8/26 - Episodes 9 and 10
8/28 - Episodes 11 and 12
8/31 - Episodes 13 and 14
9/2 - Episode 15, Break
9/XX - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya
9/XX - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Thoughts?

Is Episode 15 Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody? But yea I love this.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry, I'll be too busy on the 11th of September playing Super Mario Maker.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

Is Episode 15 Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody? But yea I love this.

Yeah. Maybe we could do it closer to Disappearance.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I think someday in the rain is a great lead up to disappearance, but that's more of a 2nd viewing thing. it's one time I agree with the chronologicalists though

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I like this show. I cheated and watched 4 episodes yesterday.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

hey does anyone like the light novels? I know they have a bad rep and I couldn't get through the first one, but we must have a few fans scattered around

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I mean, we have fans of that lovely nagato spinoff and the LNs aren't nearly that bad...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I have the first one lying around somewhere. I haven't read it since it came out over here, but I recall enjoying it, though not as much as the anime. The writing's not great, but it's above my cutoff, or was, at least. I remember thinking that Kyon's randiness came across more clearly in the LN, but this rewatch is disabusing of that.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Kyon reallly bugged me in what I read of Melancholy, but I don't think it was for being horny, he just came off as like, more of an insecure jerk? I might be remembering wrong, it's been a while, and I guess you could say he's an insecure jerk in the show so I really have no idea what the difference was

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I've read all the LN's, and I liked them. Not as much as the anime, but they're still pretty good.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

AnoHito posted:

I've read all the LN's, and I liked them. Not as much as the anime, but they're still pretty good.

do you have a favorite? any big differences in characters/plot you like/dislike?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At least with regards to the first couple of novels, I found there to be not much of a difference between the anime and novel. The anime was better by virtue of its production values, voice acting, music, etc. but upon reading the book equivalents I did not think it was an appreciably different product. But that was bad in of itself because it meant there was literally no reason to read the books instead except for arcs that weren't animated.

So I don't know how good or bad Disappearance the book is, since I didn't read it after the movie. I did read the books that followed and IMO they are kind of terrible or at least pretty mediocre.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Zas posted:

do you have a favorite? any big differences in characters/plot you like/dislike?

It's been a while since I read them, but I didn't even really notice many differences. I did like how they did the extortion scene in the LN's where they had Kyon take the pictures because it kind of showed how much of a hypocrite he could be.

As for the more annoying thing about the LN's...

Well, you know how there are all of these one-off episodes? Imagine just reading a book that's like three of those in a row with no actual plot advancement or connection between them. It gets kind of irritating that he author's done that multiple times.

Also Disappearance is still the best, in animation or print.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To be fair a good number of LNs do the side story thing, where a whole book will be nothing but short stories that in an anime only take up one or two episodes. Full Metal Panic and Spice & Wolf come to mind. In FMP's case they're purely comedic whereas the main full novels are the serious stories.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

AnoHito posted:

Also Disappearance is still the best, in animation or print.

Disappearance was just fantastic for all the reasons.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endless Eight marathon on 9/11 sounds like an opportunity that shouldn't be passed up imo

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Agreed

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

Endless Eight marathon on 9/11 sounds like an opportunity that shouldn't be passed up imo

Yeah, and it's a little self serving because I'm actually going to be away on vacation during the end of S1 and want to actually watch S2 with everyone.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Davincie posted:

kyon-kun kyon-kun!! denwaaaa

This is still my message tone on my phone...

Missed the start of this Simulwatch, but I'm down for the rest of it. I remember the first time I saw Disappearance at New York Comic Con back in 2010, that poo poo was great. Was my first year working there, and I got to be right up next to the stage doing crowd control during the Minori Chihara concert they had that year. Crowd was crazy, and my first experience with Japanese concert glowstick choreography. They absolutely went crazy for her encore, which was Hare Hare Yukai of course.

Zas posted:

hey does anyone like the light novels? I know they have a bad rep and I couldn't get through the first one, but we must have a few fans scattered around

I still own all the LNs, albeit in paperback and not glorious hardcover, and am sad that KyoAni will likely never make a season 3... Really want to see them animate Intrigues or Snowy Mountain Syndrome. But since there's been no movement by Tanigawa on the LN front since Surprise, its not likely to happen. All the hype has died down as well.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 20, 2015

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Zas posted:

I didn't read the novels that covered stuff that was already in the anime, so I can't comment on differences. Regarding the sequels, though, I can say that I liked them but that it's completely understandable for people to find them cruddy. The story starts to spiral into a constant stream of unanswered questions and flakey anime philosophy, both of which give me an unnatural hard-on. There isn't a whole lot of character development for the most part, but almost everyone in the story becomes increasingly suspicious and untrustworthy, especially Koizumi who almost seemed to be getting set up as an antagonist before the books went on hiatus.

EDIT: As for favorite book, I guess I'd have to go with the two-part The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya, mostly because more stuff happens there than in any other story after Disappearance.

The Unholy Ghost fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 20, 2015

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I actually have no clue about the novels but is the "main" story finished so to say? Like is there a possible endpoint in one of them/disappearance?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zedd posted:

I actually have no clue about the novels but is the "main" story finished so to say? Like is there a possible endpoint in one of them/disappearance?

I don't think so, but Disappearance is a satisfying enough stopping point despite not really being an ending to the overall story. Kind of like how I personally find the Giant Robo OVA entirely satisfying despite totally setting up stuff that never got made.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I thought the movie ended very well; it basically ended the main story

I want a third season anyway cause I want to see an animated sky canopy alien

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zedd posted:

Intrigues is the story of Kyon doing the thing that lets the end of Disappearance happen. Also, Dissociation starts up a new arc that hasn't quite been resolved at the end of the second half of Surprise yet, but new LNs are not forthcoming from Tanigawa at this time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zedd posted:

As long as you're OK with the status quo remaining the status quo and one lingering plot thread (which is resolved in about 5 seconds in one of the later books), then yeah Disappearance "works" as an ending. Everything after it laughably hints at something larger only to jerk the wheel back violently to not really answering/resolving/developing anything and the last book while not exactly a cliffhanger didn't really resolve anything new either.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Zas posted:

Kyon reallly bugged me in what I read of Melancholy, but I don't think it was for being horny, he just came off as like, more of an insecure jerk?

I apparently bought the first LN a while back. I stumbled on and read it about 3 weeks ago and now the only thing I can remember is how Kyon took the PC blackmail pictures.

The scene is still provocative, but the anime did well to keep Kyon in the dark. The alternative doesn't fit well with the swept-along-bystander role he had at that point.

The more I think about that scene (and some others) the more Haruhi appears the straight sociopath.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ferretts posted:

The more I think about that scene (and some others) the more Haruhi appears the straight sociopath.

I think sociopathy implies some sort of conscious effort in being heartlessly manipulative, but she just seems more ignorant than anything. Though I suppose even if the show is named after her, she's kind of the antagonist in many ways.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

She's badass

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Haruhi loving rules and so does her VA

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Aya Hirano is at least 20% of the haruhi experience and you dub watchers are really missing out

Haruhi (in the show at least) isn't a sociopath lol she has an abnormally strong will to power and no idea what to do with it (yes I'm sure they said the same about :hitler:)

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 21, 2015

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I didn't read the novels that covered stuff that was already in the anime, so I can't comment on differences. Regarding the sequels, though, I can say that I liked them but that it's completely understandable for people to find them cruddy. The story starts to spiral into a constant stream of unanswered questions and flakey anime philosophy, both of which give me an unnatural hard-on. There isn't a whole lot of character development for the most part, but almost everyone in the story becomes increasingly suspicious and untrustworthy, especially Koizumi who almost seemed to be getting set up as an antagonist before the books went on hiatus.

That was true in the anime, too, though it sort of went away after a middle point in the chronological timeline. One of my few disappointments with the show was that they never came back to revisit that. Kyon is told by Mikuru to distrust Koizumi, by Koizumi to distrust Mikuru and by Yuki to distrust everyone, including herself. Then stuff presumably happens offstage and they never revisit it

I've read the first LN, but not the legitimate english version and as far as I can rightly tell, a lot of the translated dialogue was word-for-word identical with the fansub I watched. Maybe Yen Press just did a piss poor job. I'll say this much, though, unlike some LNs for lovely shows that I've read that have added dramatically to the world-building and my understanding of the characters.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I like that the nature of everyone's relationships remain unclarified, more or less. More fun that way.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 21, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

I like that the nature of everyone's relationships remain unclarified, more or less. More fun that way.

More true to life too. Anyway I probably won't be able to watch live tomorrow so I'm watching now and making my gifs as well, which I will dump on the thread tomorrow night. Tomorrow has part 1 of my favorite arc in Season 1, and I'm jazzed for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Whoever that was that said the background music wasn't that great is going to be eating their words while watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3.

• Locked thread