Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Phoon posted:

im watching a documentary on bbc four and it keeps cutting to a woman explaining things but the camera is right next to her face and she is looking off to a point behind and to the left of it and its really unnerving

This is fairly standard TV procedure. Lady will have someone sitting opposite her asking questions and the camera will be over the other person's shoulder. Lady is just holding an eyeline with the interviewer rather than the camera.

If she was alone in a studio she'd be looking down the camera but she probably needs prompting which leads to this kinda thing.

Source: I film interviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah but the camera was positioned really close to her cold dead eyes

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Phoon

Fluo
May 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GennOP2boA

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

88h88 posted:

This is fairly standard TV procedure. Lady will have someone sitting opposite her asking questions and the camera will be over the other person's shoulder. Lady is just holding an eyeline with the interviewer rather than the camera.

If she was alone in a studio she'd be looking down the camera but she probably needs prompting which leads to this kinda thing.

Source: I film interviews

I dont think this is the issue Phoon means

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Phoon posted:

Yeah but the camera was positioned really close to her cold dead eyes

Zoom is a thing that exists on cameras these days.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

88h88 posted:

Zoom is a thing that exists on cameras these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc1P-AEaEp8

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

im going to have to go on iplayer and get a screenshot

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
weyyyy went out for a work lunch and accidentally spent three hours in the pub and now our boss is telling the team to go home because the day is ruined/over.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I tried to balance my brain in the point of unfocussed thought so that I would have some creative insight into my work. Instead I woke myself up snoring.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

it's too warm

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i've made the worst ever vegetable curry :( halp veggie goons how do i make one that tastes of something for cheap

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
(not jamie oliver £10 a portion cheap, actual person who steals bogroll from work cheap)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

crispix posted:

i've made the worst ever vegetable curry :( halp veggie goons how do i make one that tastes of something for cheap

saag aloo

spinach is only this thats not cheap for it, but you can get frozen spinach to reuse

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
cumin, turmeric, paprika, garlic, chillies and onion. really that's all you need for basic curry, maybe a dash of cinnamon and some lemon juice if you're feeling frisky.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

crispix posted:

find an ethnic supermarket

buy huge bags of spice for quite cheap

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Phoon got lost in the iplayer

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

find an ethnic supermarket

buy huge bags of spice for quite cheap

there are a couple of big Chinese supermarkets in Belfast but i found them intimidating the couple of times i went in because i'm terrible at cooking and i didn't know what i was meant to be buying. everyone else looked like they were on a mission and some of the people there had absolutely no regard for trolley etiquette - it really wasn't a place to browse around :/

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
how old are you crispix?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

JFairfax posted:

how old are you crispix?

why ask :confused:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
i am curious, it just surprises me that an adult might get intimidated by going shopping for basic food stuffs.

top tip - make a shopping list; find a recipe that sounds tasty. see what ingredients it requires, things such as spices can be bought in larger volumes because they are likely to be used again and again.

If you want to see what recipes have common ingredients, look up a few different types of thing you like and see what shared ingredients they have.

make your list, go to the shop. buy things. cook them.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

JFairfax posted:

i am curious, it just surprises me that an adult might get intimidated by going shopping for basic food stuffs.

top tip - make a shopping list; find a recipe that sounds tasty. see what ingredients it requires, things such as spices can be bought in larger volumes because they are likely to be used again and again.

If you want to see what recipes have common ingredients, look up a few different types of thing you like and see what shared ingredients they have.

make your list, go to the shop. buy things. cook them.

i found it intimidating because it seemed to be a place for caterers, not single vegetarians on a budget

and thanks for the advice, i'm sure you meant well, but tbh i'd sooner give myself a tabasco enema than put pen to paper to create a shopping list because life's loving short

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Trolley etiquette, truly the most British of values

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol well enjoy loving up ur veggie curries then mate. get used to the single life!!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

JFairfax posted:

lol well enjoy loving up ur veggie curries then mate. get used to the single life!!

yeah go take your face for a shite imo

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
crispy you live in Northern Ireland, are single, vegetarian and can't even cook yourself dinner to your own satisfaction, let alone a dining partners.

I can understand why you're so hostile, but there's no need for it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

JFairfax posted:

crispy you live in Northern Ireland, are single, vegetarian and can't even cook yourself dinner to your own satisfaction, let alone a dining partners.

I can understand why you're so hostile, but there's no need for it.

mate there's only room for delia smith on the condescending cookery nag scene, i don't know what you're trying to prove here

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
actually :stare: if you are my old home economics teacher i'm sorry for what i did in your plants

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
what did u do to my plants ?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

crispix posted:

there are a couple of big Chinese supermarkets in Belfast but i found them intimidating the couple of times i went in because i'm terrible at cooking and i didn't know what i was meant to be buying. everyone else looked like they were on a mission and some of the people there had absolutely no regard for trolley etiquette - it really wasn't a place to browse around :/

Try going a bit later in the day. Asian supermarkets (atleast in Bristol) are super busy prior to 11am.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

crispix posted:

mate there's only room for delia smith on the condescending cookery nag scene, i don't know what you're trying to prove here

i'm going to criticize all bad food photos posted in here. freelop is the main offender

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
gently caress it i'll just eat crispy pancakes and spaghetti monster shapes until i die of whatever happens to you if you only eat crispy pancakes and spaghetti monster shapes

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and sometimes a jam wagon wheel for a treat

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Fluo posted:

Try going a bit later in the day. Asian supermarkets (atleast in Bristol) are super busy prior to 11am.

They're stocking up before lunchtime opening. One around here used to open at 7am and close at 3.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

crispix posted:

tbh i'd sooner give myself a tabasco enema than put pen to paper to create a shopping list because life's loving short

lol

make a drat list. you can have any two out of good food, cheap food, and unplanned food.

spice wise you want cumin, coriander, and whatever other spices sound like they go in stuff you would like to cook. buy large bags of dry beans/lentils, soak them overnight before cooking. large bags of onions, garlic, should also be cheap.

see if you can find any middle eastern places rather than chinese supermarkets, but if the place looks like it's for caterers it means the markup is significantly less.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

crispix posted:

and thanks for the advice, i'm sure you meant well, but tbh i'd sooner give myself a tabasco enema than put pen to paper to create a shopping list because life's loving short

You make up the time spent in making a list in time saved not wandering around the supermarket like a little lost puppy getting hit by all the trolleys

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

add chicken to a veg curry to make it more palatable

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I finally found the trick to making my own fajita mix taste real good - cheeky dash of soy sauce as things are simmering. You're welcome friends.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
just eat these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bozza posted:

I finally found the trick to making my own fajita mix taste real good - cheeky dash of soy sauce as things are simmering. You're welcome friends.

worcestershire sauce also works since it adds msg. get a few different kind of dried chillies and grind your own powder as needed per recipe. I just get them from amazon

also chipotle chillis in adobo are something else for any recipe that wants spice if you blitz/chop them and add them