Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
One of my favorite things about this show is that it has the self-confidence to know we don't need to see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Cactus posted:

Haha, each to their own and all that, but doing exactly that was what almost ruined season 4 of Breaking Bad for me. Remember all that retarded drama about "did Mike shoot Jessie?" For page after page.

Yes there is stupid stuff like "Sharon was stabbed" but for the most part I enjoy the discussion in these threads

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just finished watching the episode. Rami Malek deserves a loving Emmy and it's a shame that the award will probably go to Mad Men for the 5067th time.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

HorseRenoir posted:

Just finished watching the episode. Rami Malek deserves a loving Emmy and it's a shame that the award will probably go to Mad Men for the 5067th time.

Jon Hamm has literally never won an Emmy. And in fact Mad Men has never won any Emmys for acting, which is insane.

I do agree that Malek should get a nomination next year, but I don't think USA has that kind of juice.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

It's going to go to Zack Parsons again so there's no point in even arguing :smith:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Speaking of weird lines in this episode, what was the deal with the kind of awkward out of place lines about the family that now owned the house that was Eliot and Darlene's childhood home. Something like "That whole family is weird, especially the Dad" and later "Oh poo poo here comes weird Dad."

It just seemed really strange and out of place, was it trying to hint at something or set something up?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I think it's just "We met the family that bought this house, and man, the dad is weird."

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It did seem unusually expositional in a show that gets the most out of every line of dialog.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
weird dad ends up being bd wong

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

If anyone is interested, here is the Pixies cover from last night's episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NZdggNUvq0

I was dreading the Fight Club reveal since the beginning of this season, but I really love how much they owned it, and it's turning out to be a lot more interesting than Fight Club ever was.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Think Durden and Bateman are actually going to take down the Italian capos who secretly run and fund Evil Corp, each with their own dysfunctional, tender families of their own

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
I thought

was a head character, until

acknowledged her in a scene.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Can't wait until the last episode where Elliot systematically and tearfully realizes that every single person in his life was himself, the show is actually post apocalyptic and Eliot is the last person on earth, running around in empty offices wildly tapping on broken keyboards.

Not sarcastic, I liked the reveal. But I hope that's the last of head people, and I will miss Slater if he doesn't show up much from now on.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I don't think the show's going to do this, but I kind of want next week's finale to open with a flashback to 2 years ago, Elliot's sitting on the couch in a medicated daze and flipping channels on the tv, and actual Fight Club comes on, and he starts watching intently.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've liked every bit of this show. What I'm about to say is not even a complaint... just an observation. Darlene's attitude and demeanor has changed a lot over the show. Not that that's unheard of... but she was this kind of abrasive bitchy hacker chick who was like gently caress all this noise... and lately she's been (uncharacteristically) soft and subdued.

Anyone else?

Again, I ask... anyone know where I can see the stinger? There was a post-credits one last night... yes?

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
So does anyone expect anything to come of Mrs. Bateman's "btw, I had a daughter before, but I gave her up for adoption" reveal? It was a strange thing to just throw in there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Feenix posted:

Again, I ask... anyone know where I can see the stinger? There was a post-credits one last night... yes?

There wasn't anything. We watched until the next show started.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Feenix posted:

I've liked every bit of this show. What I'm about to say is not even a complaint... just an observation. Darlene's attitude and demeanor has changed a lot over the show. Not that that's unheard of... but she was this kind of abrasive bitchy hacker chick who was like gently caress all this noise... and lately she's been (uncharacteristically) soft and subdued.

Anyone else?

Well you can explain it as her changing as Elliots condition changes then again you can explain it as her changing serving the plot which way I would lean more recently. There is lot of soap in this show tombstones and all.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Angela mentions that Darlene and Elliot were actually fairly estranged before recent months (presumably before he, Mr. Robot, got FSociety started up). I think the fact that Darlene was originally standoffish to him and becomes warmer over time was actually a good way to show that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BrianWilly posted:

Angela mentions that Darlene and Elliot were actually fairly estranged before recent months (presumably before he, Mr. Robot, got FSociety started up). I think the fact that Darlene was originally standoffish to him and becomes warmer over time was actually a good way to show that.

Well my point was she was snarky and roll-eyes-y at everyone, always, and kinda just had that "psshhhh, whatever dude! As if!!" Vibe.
The last 2 or 3 eps she has been very not that.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Feenix posted:

Well my point was she was snarky and roll-eyes-y at everyone, always, and kinda just had that "psshhhh, whatever dude! As if!!" Vibe.
The last 2 or 3 eps she has been very not that.

Maybe because since she's arrived in NYC, her brother has had his girlfriend brutally murdered and she's come to realize he's got some serious mental issues?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Well we all expected the reveal but hoped for more. Afterwards it wasn't shocking, it wasn't something cathartic. It was just really sad :(. Well played.

Also him casually mentioning the financial key to the encryption being deleted is kind of obviously a "Mr. Bateman has the key!"

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 21, 2015

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

So then wait the scene with Mr. Robot pointing a gun at Romero...and he says tell the kids I said hi....?
???
???????

aaaaaaaaaaaa

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

winvirus posted:

So then wait the scene with Mr. Robot pointing a gun at Romero...and he says tell the kids I said hi....?
???
???????

aaaaaaaaaaaa
Romero is easily much older than everyone else in fsociety

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
romero is actually crazier than elliot and imagined him as mr robot, a person he has never met in his life

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Wait does Romero even exist? I thought the end of this episode where Elliot is going "it was always just me" meant the other people in fsociety were just head-accomplices.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ultramiraculous posted:

Wait does Romero even exist? I thought the end of this episode where Elliot is going "it was always just me" meant the other people in fsociety were just head-accomplices.

I took that as Eliot not wanting to rat anyone out, or not really knowing who the other people were to begin with. Remember he and his sister weren't even supposed to exchange phone numbers for that very reason.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
For what it's worth, there was that scene of Darlene talking to Trenton a few weeks ago.

I also took the whole "It was always just me" to be a very nervous and confused Elliot trying to keep the rest of fsociety (especially his sister) unknown to and safe from Tyrell.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ultramiraculous posted:

Preview for next week shows that everyone besides Mr. Robot is real.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Anything you see Mr. Robot doing 'alone' is essentially meant to be Elliot when he is fully dissociated, to the point where he can't even remember what happened when he returns to being himself. There are points where Elliot switches back and forth between personas (in pretty much any scene where they both interact with others, only one of them is 'active' at any given time), but any time you see Slater onscreen without Elliot, it basically means Elliot has been 'left at home' so to speak so that Mr. Robot can get poo poo done without his softer side weighing him down.

I think next week we are going to get our first glimpse of Ellibot-- what it actually looks like when Elliot assumes the Mr. Robot persona. And given how Rami Malek has trash-compactor crushed every other acting challenge they've given him, I strongly suspect it will be awesome.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

This season is not eligible until next year's Emmys.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If we get Rami-doing-Elliot-doing-Slater and its some Fringe-Olivia caliber poo poo I'm gonna be in heaven.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

insider posted:

Basically this show is on another level. It is treating us as an intelligent audience which is incredibly refreshing.

I just binge watched all of these including e09 and I can't agree with the above statement strongly enough. The narration technique, reveal (I laughed in a good way with the Pixies cover) and all of the archetypes allow the completely ignorant to enjoy the show while allowing those with more media exposure to be amazed.

I don't care for Christian Slater, and I'd be fine with seeing less of him, but I suspect the show is stuck with him.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

If we get Rami-doing-Elliot-doing-Slater and its some Fringe-Olivia caliber poo poo I'm gonna be in heaven.

Ugh I wish Fringe wasn't such a bad show.

Edit: Though I guess Orphan Black did that 100000x better.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Hot Take™

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ultramiraculous posted:

Fringe was amazing you shut your poo poo hole! And Olivia-doing-Nemoy was the first sign of her awesomeness.

The only part of your post that doesn't make me want to light a bag of poo on your doorstep is I agree Tatiana Maslany is loving killing it in O.B.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

violetdragon posted:

So does anyone expect anything to come of Mrs. Bateman's "btw, I had a daughter before, but I gave her up for adoption" reveal? It was a strange thing to just throw in there.

I think it was trying to show that she is pretty much willing to drop anything that doesn't currently suit her, much like Tyrell. If she could give up her child that easily without ever mentioning it before, she could just divorce him and move on.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

ultramiraculous posted:

Talk poo poo about Fringe again and I'll loving cut you :colbert: Orphan Black is good though

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

F sucked, R was good, I was great, N was kind of iffy, and GE was pretty much garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ashpanash posted:

F sucked, R was good, I was great, N was kind of iffy, and GE was pretty much garbage.

Look, if you're a bloody vowel fanperson, I bet you're a furry loving brony/pegasister.

• Locked thread