Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ferretts posted:

Just to clarify, I'm no Haruhi hater (and aside from excessive concert vibrato, Hirano Aya is badass). But scrutinizing Haruhi's casual disregard of others as... potatoes seems interesting to me and I'll be keeping it close in mind with this second full run through.

This might sound absurd as all balls with layers of pretension and possible derailment... but coming off of just watching Gatchaman Crowds, revisiting Haruhi now and paying forward The Fountainhead this week it has me thinking about parallels in the main characters.

I'm a complete sucker for excessively independent characters (Haruhi/Hajime/Howard), but also wonder where that might cross into a stunted capacity for empathy and other implications.

Again: Don't take any of this as me making GBS threads on Haruhi or presuming a psychological diagnosis. I'm just testing the water for a possible continuing discussion topic is all...

edit: Just as a premptive measure... I propose that any mention of Ayn Rand beyond what was just written should be met with probation. Good idea?

It's a fair assessment early on, but I think Haruhi is similar to Eva where teenagers act like teenagers, unlike most anime, and that is fundamentally important to the theme of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

poo poo I wish there was a teen that acted like Haruhi at my school. That being me... :)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Ferretts posted:

edit: Just as a premptive measure... I propose that any mention of Ayn Rand beyond what was just written should be met with probation. Good idea?

nietzsche and schopenhauer on the other hand should be met with acceptance and love. it's not like you're gonna hurt anyone if you write a big embarrassing philosophical thing about haruhi imo. try it!

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 21, 2015

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Being lazy, I'm trying to bait other people into helping me out with that. Hopefully there's a Lord Justice lurking somewhere in the thread.

edit: also not making GBS threads on Lord Justice. Rather recognizing effort posting.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
She's more Raskolnikov before the crime, no?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

She's the furthest possible character from Raskolnikov...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

she's senjougahara

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Haruhi is a poo poo, but a very charismatic poo poo, and her selfish actions are fun to watch.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Mentat Radnor posted:

Haruhi is a poo poo, but a very charismatic poo poo, and her wantonly selfish actions are fun to watch.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

She's the furthest possible character from Raskolnikov...

How so?

Also this is true:

Mentat Radnor posted:

Haruhi is a poo poo, but a very charismatic poo poo, and her selfish actions are fun to watch.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

haruhi is ritsu

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Davincie posted:

haruhi is ritsu

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you would think that haruhi is konata, but its tsukasa

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Agronox posted:

How so?

Also this is true:

Level of education

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The whole point of Raskolnikov is that he is a man who feels his intelligence places him above the law. Haruhi thinks its a natural right for her to always be correct because she is young and stupid.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Davincie posted:

ritsu tsukasa

both are kinder and therefore duller, but I liked your first one

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

that's where senjougahara comes in

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Davincie posted:

that's where senjougahara comes in

yeah that's the one

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

The whole point of Raskolnikov is that he is a man who feels his intelligence places him above the law. Haruhi thinks its a natural right for her to always be correct because she is young and stupid.

she's also powerful where raskolnikov is impotent, and like a million other things

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Raskolnikov is also young and stupid, though not AS young but probably MORE stupid but I will drop it as I was just kind of thinking out loud anyway.

Kyon is clearly Sancho Panza though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

she's also powerful where raskolnikov is impotent, and like a million other things

Yeah. They're not even remotely comparable.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

Yeah. They're not even remotely comparable.

When Haruhi and Taniguchi end up in Siberia at the end of the LNs you'll eat your words motherfucker

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raskolnikov: lives in squalor with a group of cockroaches

Haruhi: tight abs, perky breasts, I want to have sex with her

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

darealkooky posted:

You can only see so many anime bras before it loses any excitement, and beyond that all haruhi ever does is take poo poo or force people to do some non-illegal thing they otherwise wouldn't.

Haruhi does more than that, and there's more to everyone letting her do what she wants than just being push-overs. For all of Kyon's narration and his promise to Mikuru, he doesn't really do much to help her when Haruhi brings out the bunny costumes

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Parallax posted:

Haruhi does more than that, and there's more to everyone letting her do what she wants than just being push-overs. For all of Kyon's narration and his promise to Mikuru, he doesn't really do much to help her when Haruhi brings out the bunny costumes

yeah kyon really sells mikeru out when you get right down to it, and he knows it too. but the greater good...

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

In Training posted:

*nods sagely

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Parallax posted:

Yeah, and that makes him look like an rear end in a top hat. Not the fun kind, but the pathetic kind like the kid from catcher in the rye.

I know there's a reason why everyone just kinda sits back and takes it, but it's a pretty contrived excuse to string together events like the rest of the supernatural stuff is. More importantly the scenes themselves just aren't interesting, regardless on if they 'make sense' within the framework of the series, and they just make everyone involved look lovely for no real payoff.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

In Training posted:

even more similarities with senjou

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

darealkooky posted:

Yeah, and that makes him look like an rear end in a top hat. Not the fun kind, but the pathetic kind like the kid from catcher in the rye.

I know there's a reason why everyone just kinda sits back and takes it, but it's a pretty contrived excuse to string together events like the rest of the supernatural stuff is. More importantly the scenes themselves just aren't interesting, regardless on if they 'make sense' within the framework of the series, and they just make everyone involved look lovely for no real payoff.

on this page of philosophy I should remind you there is gratification for some in being dominated (cf confessions by rousseau, that earlier post by in training )

on an unrelated note kyon sells out mikeru before anything supernatural happens

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Agronox posted:

Kyon is clearly Sancho Panza though.

Read Don Quixote they said. It's a classic. It's the classic. 4.4/5 stars... :bang:

No. Sancho Panza is not Kyon, and if you come upon praise for Don Quixote, assume it's for the musical and continue on.

Zas posted:

yeah kyon really sells mikeru out when you get right down to it, and he knows it too. but the greater good...

Only through Kyon's absence of intervention will Mikuru truly grow into a woman without dependence upon the protection of others from battles she's capable of fighting herself. The greater good indeed. :colbert:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you'd think with the fact that monogatari occupies the niche that haruhi once held there would be crossover art, but there is nothing good out there

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

anyway, haruhi is good

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Mikuru is cool, and Kyon is a jerk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

you'd think with the fact that monogatari occupies the niche that haruhi once held

??

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

domineering main girl character? maybe?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005