Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Zas posted:

on an unrelated note kyon sells out mikeru before anything supernatural happens

that's what I mean, the only excuse he has to not help is that he can't contain his raging erection over a not really revealing bunny outfit, despite being like 16 or something and so in theory pretty used to boners.

his behavior might be realistic, but it's not enjoyable/interesting and they don't really do anything with it. kyon needs to get laid, got it, you don't need to keep repeating this over and over unless you're actually going to do something about it like eva or eureka7 or even akira.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Lol

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

if the show was more like this I wouldn't be so down on it, this is the sort of setup where haruhi being haruhi would work really well

(egg on my face if exactly this happens later on)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lots of talk with double meanings, witty mc, magic, a school as background, huge amount of care put into the visuals, biggest ln series, deadly powerful girls, fanservice etc.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
The Delivery Pizza Order of Haruhi Suzumiya

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

darealkooky posted:

if the show was more like this I wouldn't be so down on it, this is the sort of setup where haruhi being haruhi would work really well

(egg on my face if exactly this happens later on)

this is exactly what happens later on, but uh metaphorically we'll say

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

darealkooky posted:

16 or something and so in theory pretty used to boners

couldn't have said it better

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
You know I thought I got over my reservations about what awful people Haruhi and Kyon are but reading other people saying it I find myself in agreement.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Folks keep (rightly) bringing up Nietzsche and Schopenhauer, but honestly I always think Søren Kierkegaard, esp. the bits in Fear and Trembling where he tries to reconcile keeping God happy vs doing what he "knows" is right. Should one become actually a Knight of Infinite Resignation? Would it be a good thing for the world were Kyon to act more like Koizumi? Is Haruhi a twisted version of the Knight of Faith, able to bring about her desires without needing God?

P. deep thoughts to think about as we keep watching.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Folks keep (rightly) bringing up Nietzsche and Schopenhauer, but honestly I always think Søren Kierkegaard, esp. the bits in Fear and Trembling where he tries to reconcile keeping God happy vs doing what he "knows" is right. Should one become actually a Knight of Infinite Resignation? Would it be a good thing for the world were Kyon to act more like Koizumi? Is Haruhi a twisted version of the Knight of Faith, able to bring about her desires without needing God?

P. deep thoughts to think about as we keep watching.

christian approaches to haruhi are interesting to me and fear and trembling is a good lens for the show, nice work you get a star

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 21, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Ferretts posted:

....Mikuru truly grow into a woman...
and what a woman.

What was that line from ep 00? 'when will I become an adult?" soon Mikuru, soon

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Zas posted:

christian approaches to haruhi are interesting to me and fear and trembling is a good lens for the show, nice work you get a star

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

you also get a star but for different reasons

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

thanks for posting my favorite part of haruhi chan, that's what the star is for. it's a good show

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zas posted:

thanks for posting my favorite part of haruhi chan, that's what the star is for. it's a good show

I like haruhi chan because Kyon stands up to Haruhi in it

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I like haruhi chan because Kyon stands up to Haruhi in it

everyone is much more honest in haruhi chan, it's cool and funny

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Davincie posted:

lots of talk with double meanings, witty mc, magic, a school as background, huge amount of care put into the visuals, biggest ln series, deadly powerful girls, fanservice etc.

and mutherfucking Satoru Kōsaki

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I love the op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8204jaGimho

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

myancology, thats what I do

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

that's the first translation where I've seen "getting high from smelling my own legs" that's pretty heavy

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

menthol erases the smell of feet

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

"You're already a philosopher, will saying that put you at ease, you complete fool?"
words to live by

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

"You're already a philosopher, will saying that put you at ease, you complete fool?"
words to live by

.hcum yrev uoy knahT

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kyon's whole deal is that he's incredibly passive and it takes a lot before he'll act in any meaningful way, which is why despite what he says he just stays back and watches all that stuff with Asahina.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Kyon is passive (I would say submissive,) but that case is special: he straight up looked in Mikuru's eyes and promised he wouldn't let it happen again. Then he doesn't say a word or lift a finger to help, or apologize when Mikuru, clearly disturbed, walks away. No honor there. Not contradicting you, just reiterating I think the show wants us to see that as a pretty big failure, and maybe a low point on his road to not being a doormat (we hope).

He's less guilty of being witness to the cpu club blackmailing because he had no committed obligation, though of course that doesn't let him off the hook. And then in the book, he participates! Which is much more active than the Kyon we're used to.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 21, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It continues tonight ..,

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Gettin' excited.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Remote Island Syndrome is a really fun two-parter with Haruhi at her least horrible, it will be cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've got my gifs ready to dump in an hour.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I forgot to get the episodes gently caress gently caress

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I've had a couple of bad days. Cheer me up, silly quirky High School Romance/Mystery/Experiment Anime Thing.

Opening with Melancholy 3?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

I've had a couple of bad days. Cheer me up, silly quirky High School Romance/Mystery/Experiment Anime Thing.

You will enjoy these two, they're very good episodes.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I just realized that I'll have to switch discs tonight. Everything's ready for minimal delay.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm ready to commence Haruhism.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The Colonel posted:

I'm ready to commence Haruhism.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hey we get to see Yuki finish her great scene

Adbot