Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
According to neons.org:

quote:

The Neon Sport debuted as the top-of-the line model.  Most of the features that were optional on other cars were standard for the Sport, such as antilock brakes and 14-inch wheels.  Very early Sports had steel wheels; alloys became standard when the Sport Coupe appeared in late 1994.  Other identifying factors are the special fascia with fog lights; when the DOHC appeared, all Sports received the "power bulge" hood, even for SOHCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I have a Chevrolet Avalanche (2004).

I'm going to pull a 2000lb trailer with 1000lbs of stuff in it about every other weekend for maybe 50-100 miles.

Am I giong to need a transmission cooler?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

TheReverend posted:

I'm going to pull a 2000lb trailer with 1000lbs of stuff in it about every other weekend for maybe 50-100 miles.

Open the hood and check to see if you have a pair of metal lines going into the passenger side of the radiator. If so, you have one from the factory. And you likely won't need it unless you are towing in an area with a lot of elevation changes or start stop driving.

Edit: Make sure your brakes are in good order before you set off. The avalanche without anything in it is 6k. That much stuff takes a toll on your brakes.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 21, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My stupid question:

My code reader is giving me a "B2AAA" code, which from Googling, appears to be "you have a body code, but it's manufacturer-specific, and the ECU is being a dick and won't tell me anything beyond the fact that it has a body code, so I don't know poo poo about it". Are there any tools that can connect to a modernish GM that uses GM LAN (2006 Saturn Ion, essentially a Chevy Cobalt) to tell me what's going on? I haven't noticed anything odd going on in terms of body/interior stuff.

I suspect it's from removing the original stereo and replacing the OnStar mirror with one with just a compass and outside temp, and whatever is triggering the code, it's not serious enough to cause a service vehicle message. It's just annoying seeing it pop up every time I fire up Torque.

TheReverend posted:

While you likely have one built in (pretty much every automatic vehicle built in modern times does), it really wouldn't hurt to add an auxiliary cooler, especially when you're pulling 3000 pounds. Even if you don't plan to tow often, it may still help extend the life of your transmission.

And like Elmnt80 said, make drat sure your brakes are in good shape.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geoj posted:

According to neons.org:

Thank you.

Good lord, chrysler.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Thanks everyone. For what it's worth I just had about 1300 in brake work done so I'm good on that front.

The trailer has brakes too (I have a brake controller).

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

My stupid question:

My code reader is giving me a "B2AAA" code, which from Googling, appears to be "you have a body code, but it's manufacturer-specific, and the ECU is being a dick and won't tell me anything beyond the fact that it has a body code, so I don't know poo poo about it". Are there any tools that can connect to a modernish GM that uses GM LAN (2006 Saturn Ion, essentially a Chevy Cobalt) to tell me what's going on? I haven't noticed anything odd going on in terms of body/interior stuff.

I suspect it's from removing the original stereo and replacing the OnStar mirror with one with just a compass and outside temp, and whatever is triggering the code, it's not serious enough to cause a service vehicle message. It's just annoying seeing it pop up every time I fire up Torque.

While you likely have one built in (pretty much every automatic vehicle built in modern times does), it really wouldn't hurt to add an auxiliary cooler, especially when you're pulling 3000 pounds. Even if you don't plan to tow often, it may still help extend the life of your transmission.

And like Elmnt80 said, make drat sure your brakes are in good shape.

If it's an absolutely base avalanche, its possible he won't have one. Mine had the same options as his 04 and it was possible to have them with all variations of plain, oil cooler and trans cooler.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

rdb posted:

Offer it to the mechanic for scrap and walk away. Fixing a neon is an exercise in futility, there will be more major repairs, sooner than you think. For $3100 you should be able to get a much more reliable car.

This seems like excellent advice, but I will add that you might find someone on https://www.neons.org that would want it.

I recently spent some time there researching my friends SKIM module issue, and I was surprised at how many Neon fans there are.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
What do you guys think of the Dodge Caliber? If my truck gets totalled out I was thinking of picking up a used one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't any personal experience, but I'm going to put my money down on this thread's advice being "punch yourself in the crotch, instead."

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Senior Funkenstien posted:

What do you guys think of the Dodge Caliber? If my truck gets totaled out I was thinking of picking up a used one.
Friend of mine has one, here's what he has to say:

scuz's friend Lew posted:

155k miles, 2007, automatic transmission.
I've had the alternator replaced, the front tie-rod stuff, just had to replace the rear brakes.
It doesn't like being side-swiped, backed in to, or side-swiped.
It's treated me pretty well.

If you're routinely transporting large individuals in the back seat, I'd say go with something else.
He's had bad luck with cars, but this one has been pretty solid and he's owned it for like ~6 years now. We're in the same band and he folds down the back seats for extra storage for gigs; hauls a lot of stuff.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

If it's an absolutely base avalanche, its possible he won't have one. Mine had the same options as his 04 and it was possible to have them with all variations of plain, oil cooler and trans cooler.

It might not have an external one, but I've never seen a GM vehicle with an automatic but without a cooler in the radiator at the very least.

The Avalanche was available as both a 1/2 and a 3/4 ton, right? Which is yours? If it's a half ton with a 4L60-based transmission I would absolutely add an external cooler. If it's a 3/4 with a 4L80 then I might not sweat it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Uthor posted:

I don't any personal experience, but I'm going to put my money down on this thread's advice being "punch yourself in the crotch, instead."

This is probably good advice

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

It might not have an external one, but I've never seen a GM vehicle with an automatic but without a cooler in the radiator at the very least.

The Avalanche was available as both a 1/2 and a 3/4 ton, right? Which is yours? If it's a half ton with a 4L60-based transmission I would absolutely add an external cooler. If it's a 3/4 with a 4L80 then I might not sweat it.

Well congrats, you've seen one! While in reality, most dealerships were probably smart enough to order all of their avalanches with one, not all of them were that smart. I mean for example, mine was sold with a towing package, but no trailer hitch. :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

This is probably good advice

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Caliber/2007/

Same buddy who owns the car agrees with pretty much everything in the link above, still loves the car. Go figure!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

scuz posted:

Same buddy who owns the car agrees with pretty much everything in the link above, still loves the car. Go figure!

Isn't the caliber a neon that got fat? Either way it's a budget and base model dodge.
In that case I'd go with punch self in crotch territory.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's a loving Chrysler made after 1973. That should be a huge red flag.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Shadow225 posted:

Vehicle: 2003 Chevy Malibu Standard

Problem: There's no rhyme or reason that I can discern for this, but my turn signals will stop working randomly. When they stop working, neither the lights themselves nor the indicators on the dash light up. Sometimes they don't work for days at a time, sometimes it's just 10 minutes, and sometimes they will just quit while waiting for a green light. I've taken it into Firestone a few times, but the signals conveniently work when the techs get their hands on it. I could get an electric diagnosis, but there's no guarantee that it will turn up anything.

My buddy thinks that it's either a bad ground or a malfunction with the actual handle. He hates electric work, so he doesn't want to dig through the dash on a wild goose chase. Thoughts?

There is a recall for 2000 and 2001 malibus, same as my wife's old 2000 alero which had the same problem. Sometimes really jamming the hazard switch fixed it. We had ours fixed for free under the recall but you probably won't have that luck. They replace the hazard switch to fix it, perhaps you can too. The most expensive hazard warning switch is 20 bucks, and it may take a day to install.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

Well congrats, you've seen one! While in reality, most dealerships were probably smart enough to order all of their avalanches with one, not all of them were that smart. I mean for example, mine was sold with a towing package, but no trailer hitch. :v:

What the loving gently caress, GM :psypop:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

scuz posted:

The suspension issues bit is dead on. My buddy had one and at like 90k miles the damned thing swayed like a boat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

IOwnCalculus posted:

What the loving gently caress, GM :psypop:

I've known people to delete the factory cooler after installing a bigger aftermarket cooler. There also may not have been a cooler on a stripper 2wd non-towing version, if such a thing existed.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Godholio posted:

I've known people to delete the factory cooler after installing a bigger aftermarket cooler. There also may not have been a cooler on a stripper 2wd non-towing version, if such a thing existed.

There in fact was!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The company I work for has a F550 Super Duty diesel dually flatbed and it's...2wd. Practically useless. I can see why they might make them, but why would a heavy construction contractor buy one?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Because it was probably 13k less.
At least it's not fwd :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Arrath posted:

The company I work for has a F550 Super Duty diesel dually flatbed and it's...2wd. Practically useless. I can see why they might make them, but why would a heavy construction contractor buy one?

How many places will you need 4WD and the load capacity of a F550? It's not like you're going to go rock-crawling in that thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, but it's almost trivial to get a 2WD truck stuck in a soupy rutted out construction site after a day of rain, usually.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

How many places will you need 4WD and the load capacity of a F550? It's not like you're going to go rock-crawling in that thing.

Actually that's what basically all the roads on the site are :v: Notice I said heavy construction, so the haul roads are built out of 6 inch minus rock for the articulated haul trucks and big old Cat 773 dump trucks.

Some of my crew blew out that trucks transmission yesterday while hauling 2 tons of ANFO over aforementioned rock roads.

And like Kastein says, anything that isn't rocked is dirt, and those big haul trucks make poo poo-shows of dirt roads in short order, even with a grader on hand.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 22, 2015

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Unless you're hauling a camper always on pavement you'd want awd.

Don't forget a large rear end truck is heavy.. and a big towing capacity means it's heavier, get on dirt and you sink in instantly

I watched a loaded construction dump truck 2 rear drive axles and 8 tires get stuck on a lawn a day after a moderate rain. The guy even raised the dumper to try and load up the rear wheels.
drat thing just sunk in and couldn't go foreward without a tow.

Edit: I was thinking of the f650 but the 550 is still pretty damned big.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 22, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I did total loss valuation reports on construction equipment for Years, and you would be surprised how many of them were 4x2s

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I've been using regular Mobil1 oil and filters in my Grand Prix and my girlfriends Legacy since they were new. With 174k on the GTP and 110k on the legacy I've been wondering if there's anything to the high mileage oil. Is there any reason to not switch?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The transmission cooler kits UHaul sells are actually really really good. Straightforward install and the parts seem high quality.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I've been using regular Mobil1 oil and filters in my Grand Prix and my girlfriends Legacy since they were new. With 174k on the GTP and 110k on the legacy I've been wondering if there's anything to the high mileage oil. Is there any reason to not switch?

AFAIK, the only difference is the high mileage version of Mobil 1 is that it will cause seals to swell up a bit. Handy if they're leaking. According to their website, the high mileage version also seems to have more detergents to help with sludge.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Well now I'm really loving puzzled.

Replaced the starter+solenoid on the 86 B2000. Charged the battery, install the battery, turn the key, nothing. No clicks, no cranks. When I turn the key, all the lights go out on the dash. Any thoughts?

Edit: actually now it clicks/clacks pretty loudly but still no proper engine cranking sound. Headlights go completely out while cranking... don't know if they're doing that to make more power available to the starter or if the battery is too dead to run the lights+starter.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 22, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Get a voltmeter on the battery while you try to start it and see how far it dips.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
If the battery stays at a reasonable voltage, it sounds like you've got a corroded connection somewhere. Get in there with a terminal cleaner and a wire brush!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

American car specifications are known for under-rating towing capacity. Keep it slow and you'll be fine. Some Home Depots have the 5' x 8' trailers with surge brakes; if you can, get one of those. Also get a professionally fitted trailer hitch, biggest you can, with a 2" ball.

Godholio posted:

Keep in mind that it's not just the drivetrain pulling and suspension supporting the trailer, you have to be able to safely steer it in traffic and stop. Plenty of videos out there demonstrating how easy it is to gently caress that up. If you're right around capacity I wouldn't be too worried (practice if you want) but on Jeep forums there are constantly people wanting to tow 5,000+ lbs with their JKU (max capacity 3500), and those people will probably end up in prison for something related to causing a traffic death if they get in an accident.

Bit late, but thanks! I hate asking this question since the range is so wide, but is there a ballpark for the cost of the install + wiring setup?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

If the battery stays at a reasonable voltage, it sounds like you've got a corroded connection somewhere. Get in there with a terminal cleaner and a wire brush!

While dicking around with the battery terminals I broke the positive one. Took the battery to Autozone when I went for new terminals, battery tested ok. I installed new terminals for positive and negative after cleaning as much battery acid out as I could. Truck started fine after that.

I'm telling myself it needed a new starter anyway :gonk:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I imagine for a truck like that you bought a reman starter, right?

It is not out of the realm of possibility that you got a dud rebuild. I mean it's improbable but something to keep in mind regardless.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MrChips posted:

I imagine for a truck like that you bought a reman starter, right?

It is not out of the realm of possibility that you got a dud rebuild. I mean it's improbable but something to keep in mind regardless.

I actually bought a new starter from Amazon, it was only $67 which was on par with remans. It seems to work fine... I'm just wondering now if the old starter was actually hosed or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Most parts stores have a starter tester. Take it to one.

If it winds up being good, toss it on a shelf as a spare.