Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
1E: Buy a shovel, bury our father. This shovel will lead us to greatness.

2C: Thank you, but this is a thing we must do on our own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

1E: Buy a shovel, bury our father. This shovel will lead us to greatness.

2C: Thank you, but this is a thing we must do on our own.
This.

sotary
Sep 11, 2001
1 B
2 C

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

1b: Specifically, "borrow" a shovel that nobody is using, without asking. Most people would probably be upset by an orphan beggar approaching them and asking for something as valuable as a tool, and especially if they knew that we were using it to dig our own father's grave. Better to leave them in blissful ignorance. Plus, we'll give the shovel back when we're done, it'll be like we never took it at all! This also shows more resourcefulness than spending money on material possessions, which we have no place to keep and which we can't eat in a pinch.
2c: Again, it's not right to make Wright risk his job for our sake, and even if we ask him to choose for himself, he will be wracked by feelings of guilt and regret when he inevitably chooses not to help. By insisting on doing it ourself, we can save him from this distress.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
1A) Dig it with my BARE HANDS.

2C) Reassure Wright that you can handle it.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
1E buy a shovel to dig, 2C

Buying the shovel means we could possibly use it for a future endeavor which may make us more money, its investing in our future.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Making money by digging is laborer's work, and beneath the dignity of the middle class. This stint as a beggar is a temporary bump in our journey, and we shouldn't dirty ourselves by adapting our life to it.

(Yes I want this kid to be a pre-HENRY, or "temporarily inconvenienced rich" or whatever you call it.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Abyssal Squid posted:

Making money by digging is laborer's work, and beneath the dignity of the middle class. This stint as a beggar is a temporary bump in our journey, and we shouldn't dirty ourselves by adapting our life to it.

(Yes I want this kid to be a pre-HENRY, or "temporarily inconvenienced rich" or whatever you call it.)

We're seven. If anyone pays us to do hard labor just because we own a shovel, someone has gone wrong in both of our lives.

(Also, I still say that beating people who try to mess with us is a valid use of a shovel.)

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
1B 2C

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
pre:
1a  1		Bare hands
1b  111		Borrow/lease Shovel
1e  1111	Buy shovel
2a  		Ask help
2b  11		Let him decide
2c  111111	Reassure
“Mister Wright,” You call for the attention of the perplexed adult. He turns to you and you reassure him that you can handle it because you are going to buy a shovel.

Rong squeak with joy at your agreement with him for once. “That’s the spirit, boy!” He says to Wright, “You heard the beggar, he want to do this himself, don’t get in his way.” Wright is clearly not reassured, but can’t find the right word nor action in this situation. He resigned to following you to the store with Rong for now.

You gathered your 100 silvers and donated food that should last you for today. You give a last glance at your deceased father’s body one last look before setting out to the general store.

The local shopping district has a variety of products on display on each store at every possible angle to attract customer. Some are intriguing while others are unknown to you. As much as you wished to indulge yourself in window shopping, you father has long since drilled into your head that you shouldn’t touch or look too long at things that you can’t afford. The two adults besides you also serve as a constant reminder for you to buy that shovel.

“Welcome.” The old shopkeeper greets its incoming customer while noting his ledger on the table. “What can I ge-“ He pause a moment as he looks up to the scenery of two officers accompanying a beggar kid. “Officers, is there something wrong?” The shopkeeper inquires while mentally connecting that possible dot of beggar thievery of his merchandise.

“No, no, this kid just wants to buy a shovel.” Rong explains casually with the old shopkeeper.

“A shovel, huh?” The old man looks at you, “That would be 10 silvers each.”

Rong squat down next to you, the mass of meat folds itself neatly in layers until he looks like a boulder. The meaty boulder elbow you lightly as he whispers, “Hey kid, you hear that? You could have paid one of us to do all the hard work instead!”

You REASSURE the boulder-man that owning a shovel is good for your future and self-defense. Though you don't know what else you can use a shovel for. The boulder is not impressed as it unfolds itself back into Rong.

Goodbye, two bowls of noodle soup. You mentally anguish as you hand over the 10 silvers.

“Hold on, shopkeeper.” Wright interrupts. You and the shopkeeper look up at the officer from the interrupted transaction. “This kid is purchasing a shovel to bury his recently deceased father. Can’t you find it in your heart to give him a discount?”

The old shopkeeper looks at you with a new found respect in his eyes, “Ahh, you are that beggar that’s mourning all morning!” He questions the two officers, “Shouldn’t you two be the one to bury his father?”

“It-“ Wright stopped on what he wanted to say as Rong gives him a warning glare. He continues after a moment, “… It’s complicated. The kid… Wish to bury his father personally.”

Nodding in approval, the shopkeeper says, “Admirable. Even a young beggar know his filial duty as a son.” He spent a short moment studying your face, as if to memorize something worthy of remembering. He continues, “Very well, I can offer the lowest of 8 silvers to this child. It’s the best I can offer.”

“Thank you, sir!” You reply gleefully at regaining two veggi buns! The concept of bargaining has never occur to you before! You also thank Wright for his help and he gives you a nod with a smile.

Rong standing at the side, poking at things to keep him entertained while muttering to himself. “Hmph! Just two silvers, what a waste a time.”

Back at your father’s corpse, you and Rong watches Wright lifts your father’s body into the wooden cart. He tells you to follow them to the nearby hill outside the outskirt of town, halfway between the town and the forest, where they await for you to dig your father a grave.

The new shovel you’ve gotten is quite sturdy and also the smallest size the store have to offer, but it’s still a bit longer than you liked. It wasn’t a tool meant for children, but you will have to improvise.

You stab the shovel into the earth with a good mustering of your strength. It got in like half a inch deep… This might take a while. After a few more attempts, you can feel the fatigue is setting in and you have to take a break. Wright brings you some water and food, he urges you to give up before hurting yourself. He whisper that he will return his share of the 10 silvers to you later, so you only need to pay 10 silver to Rong.

Rong laughs at the pitiful amount of soils being unearthed, he expects you to give up soon…

You…
1) Give up, pay them to do it for you instead
2) Dig long enough to annoy Rong before giving up
3) Dig for as long as it takes
4) Write in

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 17, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
3: Don't give up. The right choice is rarely the easy choice.

So are we going make a living as a gravedigger? Is our signature weapon going to be a Monk's Spade? Will our kung fu nickname be "the Undertaker"?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Rockopolis posted:

So are we going make a living as a gravedigger? Is our signature weapon going to be a Monk's Spade?
We will start the job hunt after this, which include beggar, of course. They will be part-time job format for you to test it out... Maybe 9 time? What you choose during and after this will determine your starting Skills after time skip.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 17, 2015

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
3: Never give up, never surrender.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

3) Dig for as long as it takes If we give up now, everything else we have done today wouldn't have any meaning.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, I'm definitively going to keep my eyes open for opportunities to be a coffin-toting wuxia vigilante.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

3: We can annoy Rong more by doing it all ourself.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

2) Work long enough to annoy Rong but let the grown-ups take over eventually. As fun as it is to spite the guy, the two of them do have a job to do. The longer we make them babysit us, the longer other bodies sit around unburied. The longer even our own beloved father stays unburied!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
3: gently caress YOU RONG

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
3. Do it all yourself.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

3. Training montage!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Childhood - Body

Earth sways from the might of your shovel. Although not by much, you move the soil little by little, like an ant that gathers the sand - one grain at a time.

Hours passed as the sun rise to the sky. It’s getting hotter. Rong ordered Wright to fetch him the bamboo umbrella and lots of water. He also got you a hat to shield you from the sun and a black sheet of fabric to covers your father’s corpse.

*Dig* *Rest* *Dig*

“Are we really going to spend the rest of the day here?” Wright asked dully while holding the umbrella over Rong.

Rong sits on a flatbed rock while chewing a pear as he watches you. “Of course.” He reply annoyed.

*Dig** Rest **Dig*

“Is it really worth 20 silvers to do all this? And what about supervising my-“ Wright questions.

“IT’S NOT ABOUT THE FRIGGING 20 SILVERS!” Rong toss the pear so hard on the ground that it splattered into pieces. He holds a fist upward, jumping up and down in an amusing manner, and says to Wright, “THIS IS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE! THE KID NEEDS TO KNOW HIS PLACE! I AM THE AUTHORITY!”

Wright rolls his eyes, “I see.”

You stopped shoveling for a bit to watch the spectacle. He saw you and asks if you are giving up, you shakes your head and continues. He continues his tantrum.

* Rest ** Rest **Dig*

After a while the plump of a man settle down to take nap. “Wake me when he gives up.” He ordered Wright.

* Rest ** Rest **Rest*

Nightfall, the star shines brightly in the dark blue sky, the full moon illuminated the land, providing night farer extra time to work in the dark. Too bad you are completed exhausted and you’re just waiting for Rong to wake up.

Rong awakes slowly with a drooling face. He looks around. It’s dark. “Wha? Why is it so dark?” He turns to Wright as he quickly regains his sense, “You fool! Why didn’t you wake me up!?”

In the most monotonous voice, Wright replies, “You order is to wake you up when the kid gives up, sir.”

Rong look at you, turning his neck so fast that it might actually stretch out like a turtle. “It’s all your fault that I am late for home!” He points at you with a finger. “Give up already, kid!”

“No.” You reply with stubbornness. Even though you can barely feel your arms and legs anymore.

“drat stubborn kid!” Rong screamed out of his lung at the night sky. Then he goes to inspect the hole you dug. “This is like one-seventh of a hole!? You won’t be able to keep this up for six more days!”

“We will see about that.” You retort with arms folded.

Wright interjects, “I think we should all go home… Uhh, to the place where we sleep.”

Rong rubs his eyes, “Good idea. I am spent for the day.”

Wright gazes at the man that barely worked at all. “What about supervising me?”

“Hmm? Yea, yea, you pass. I will fill that report tomorrow.” Rong replies with drowsy eyes.

“What about his father?” Wright further inquires.

Rong answer back with a question. “What about it?”

“The corpse could be eaten by wild beast if we can’t bury it tonight.” Wright points out.

“Push it back to the town.” Wright mumbles, slowly slipping back to half-awakeness.

Wright sighs, and begin to push the corpse back to the town, completely ruined the point of this task in the first place. He gesture you to sit on the side of the cart, which is good, because you can barely move your muscle.

--------
Wright offered to find you an inn, but you wish to be with your father. That night, you slept right under the wooden cart where your father resides. It serves as a mini shelter and you get to spent a bit more time with your father. You ask your father what you will do from now on. He didn’t answer. Weeping quietly, fatigue claims you into your dream.

-------

Pain. Pain haunts your body. Soreness covers your whole body as if you’ve been mildly paralyzed. Raising your body is like lifting a heavy bag and it feels like dozen hands are pulling your legs when you use it. You don’t think you can work at all in your condition. Pushing yourself any further mig-

“Oh there you are!” An elderly man peeks down at you crawling slowly under the cart. He is casually dressed like any other townsfolk, but much healthier than people his age. You inquire who he is as he helps pull you out of your makeshift shelter, he answers, “I am Old Man Liu. Just a retired elderly enjoying the final years that heaven granted me.” He gives you a shoulder rub as he continues, “You are the Filial Kid that people are talking about, aren’t you?” You nod. “Your deed are beginnings to spread like wild fire, it is the main topic at the tea house, which is where I heard it first.” He pats you at the back lightly with a laugh.

Your shoulder feels a bit better from the rubbing; you ask why it’s that. “Oh, ho? They are that bad? Well, to answer your question, rubbing the sore spot helps the blood circulate, which rejuvenate the affected area. My grandchild rubs my shoulders all the time, and I did the same for him, but he didn’t like it though.” He laughs.

You try rubbing your sore spot experimentally and decided to try to hopefully remedy the pain with this relieving method during the cart ride. “Do you need a shoulder rub?” You look up at the old man who is patiently waiting for you as if he needed more rubbing.

He laughs again and says, “No, no, as much as I want to, it’s Officer Rong who sent me here.” He explains, “He said he’s busy today, but needed someone to watch over you at the hill, so I volunteered!”

You thank him for his guardianship in your duty, and suggest you two to depart immediately. He holds out a hand and say, “Woah, woah, kid. You have good enthusiasm, but don’t forget to feed your belly!”

Your stomach rumbles, he’s right. You need the energy to work.

“Where to?” Liu ask, “I hope we aren’t digging the trash for food.” He jokingly states. Then he expressed turned serious, “We aren’t, right?”

You shake your head and you decide…

YES! YES! SEAFOOD NOODLE SOUP! NO VOTE, JUST EAT! SEAFOOD NOODLE SOUP!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

“Ahh, you like noodle huh?” Liu ask as he sat down next to you. You nod with the biggest smile on your face.

He smile too, and say, “Then I too-, “He searches for his wallet for a while and his smile slowly fade. “Darn it, I forgot my wallet!”

You…

1) Buy him three veggi buns (3 silver)
2) Buy him a seafood noodle soup (5 silver)
3) He can go back to get his own wallet
4) Write in

You currently have 87 silvers, you need at least 5-9 silvers per day for a full three meals of veggies buns depends on your activity. You probably need 10 silvers for the full day exertion you are doing, and maybe five more days to dig that hole. Noodle soup are only as filling as three veggies buns, but they make you happy and motivated.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 19, 2015

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

2) NOODLLLLLLLLLE Too excited by the noodle to give careful consideration.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

2) Buy him a seafood noodle soup (5 silver)

We need at least 50 silver to feed ourselves until we can get back to begging for our supper. Add 20 silver on top of that to save for emergencies. That gives us 17 silver we can afford to be generous with. (Well, as generous as a seven year old beggar can be.) So, sure, let's be generous with the nice old man that's going to watch us dig a hole all day.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
1 - I am not made out of money!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
4 I'll pay for your lunch if you help me.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
2, he is our elder and deserves respect.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
2). Everyone deserves one bowl of seafood noodle soup.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
2. Not only is he the second person who's been nice to us so far, he's also probably going to be our teacher.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

In addition to it being simply nice to do, come now we all now how this stuff goes he's a teacher/monk/fairy godfather just be nice to him

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

“Such generosity!” Old Man Liu pats you on the back and laughing heartily. “I own you one, kid! From today on, you can call me Uncle Liu!”

“Okay, Uncle Liu…” You reply with a heavy heart as you pay another 5 silvers.

“One Seafood Noodle Soup coming up!” The chef lowers his signature meal in front of you. He gave you a wink and goes back to work. The bowl is filled with at least twice the amount of contents compares to before.

Did heaven find mercy in your plight? People are actually nice to you! What bliss to have such fortune for a noodle bowl to have extra fillings! You indulge in joy… Except, it… Doesn’t feel the same. This suppose to be great, the taste is great, yes, but... Something is missing. You become sullen by the lack of something important.

Uncle Liu rubs you back, “What’s wrong, boy? The shrimp’s too small?”

You shake your head. It’s not that. “The noodle is perfect. Everything on the bowl is perfect, but… Something is missing…”

Taking a swoop of noodles into his mouth, Uncle Liu closed his eyes to focus on the taste and confirms, “Yes, the noodle is wonderful.”

Stomach rumbling for more noodles, but you can’t seem to work up the appetite for it. You are feeling… Sad? For some reason. You ask Uncle Liu if he knows why?

He finishes up chewing an octopus tentacle and asks, “Does your father always bring you to this place?”

Your heart ache, “No, not always. Eating noodle is a rare occasion for us. It’s for when there’s something worth cerebrating or we earned a lot of silvers on a good day.”

“You missed your father, boy.” He answered. Then take a sip of the soup before continuing. “Your happiness doesn’t come from the noodle, but from your father.”

Tears welling up in your eyes socket, “How can I enjoy noodles again?”

Uncle Liu moves some of his shrimps to your bowl with his chopstick. “My boy. Food, is a very important part of our culture. ‘Have you eaten?’ is a more common greeting than ‘Hello’. At the end of the day, people will get hungry. They will all sits down and eat. But, why do some people choose to sits down and eat with other people?”

You shake your head, not knowing the answer.

Uncle Liu holds up one half of a stick on his left hand while the other half on his right hand. “Food brings people together.” He presses both sticks together to become whole.

“But I can’t be with my father anymore!” You argues, tears begin to flows.

He slowly spins the chopsticks with one hand, “Do you know why chopsticks are so long?”

You shake your head, not knowing the answer. Sobbing.

He picks up some veggies on his bowl, and passes it to your bowl with the chopsticks. “It is invented to help people shares food with each other. Help each other solve their hunger while sharing the joy you found to others.” He places the chopstick on the bowl, apparently finished. “Just like your father who shares this wonderful noodle with you. You are sharing this wonderful noodle with me.” He gave you a hug. “I am happy to taste this wonderful noodle, boy. Do you feel the joy of sharing this food with others?”

You nod and cry in his warm embrace. It feels just like father’s.

-------------------
You have discovered a way to gain a new Minor Hyperactivity (minor temporary buff).

Whenever you share a great meal with someone, you gain +5 to all applicable tasks of a goal that you both are working toward. The effect last until next meal time and that person must be present in your activities to apply.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Lets go finish that grave

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lazaruise posted:

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Lazaruise posted:

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Lazaruise posted:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

After the meal, you both return to your father’s corpse. Wright is waiting next to it. “Ah, there you are. “He said.

“Greeting, Officer Wright,” Uncle Liu greets with a strange gesture of wrapping the right fist on the left palm, and bowing slightly. “Are you here to push the cart to the gravesite for us?”

“On the contrary, Mr. Liu.” He greets back with the same gesture. “My superior Rong doesn’t think the kid can finish the dig by today, so he orders me to move the body to the morgue for preservation.”

“Ah, very wise of him.” Liu stroke his beard. “But there is more to this kid than he thought.”

“Haha, surely you jest, Mr. Liu.” He looks at you, “No disrespect, but we both have seen how much he can dig in one day.” He looks back at Uncle Liu with a smile, “…Unless you plan to help him dig?”

“Of course not.” Liu says with a bemused expression, “Officer Rong chooses me out of all the other volunteers because the best I can lift is chopstick and tea cups.” He laughs.

Wright bows slightly and apologetically, “Not at all, Mr. Liu. I am sure he chose you for your just and fair character to ensure this kid can complete his filial deed without going astray.“

“He will get the grave done, I promise.” Uncle Liu gave you a wink as he said that.

“Very well, I am relieved that he is under your care. We will come again sometime this afternoon to measure his progress.” He holds up the hand gesture and shakes it for a farewell.

Uncle Liu does the same gesture as he departs with your father on the cart.

OH NO! HE TOOK THE CART! You were planning to rub your aching muscles on the cart ride. Now you have to walk there too! Officer Rong is a devious schemer indeed!

It can’t be helped. You and Uncle Liu walks to the gravesite. The journey was thankfully slow as Uncle Liu walked very slowly like all elderly do. You did your best to rub both your arms in the meantime and they are much relieved by the time you two reached the dig site. The sun is already half way up the sky. You don’t have much time to lose as you need to get it done before your limited savings are burned up in this task. Uncle Liu sat down on the flat stone bed and brings out his tea set from his basket to enjoy the supervision.

*Dig* *Slow dig* *diiiiiiig*

Barely half an hour into the digging, your body are in pure agony from the forced physical exertion. Your heart is beating hard trying to fix the sore muscles that you refuse to let it rest. At this rate, you might have to take a day off every two days- “Boy.” -and your funding will be ruined, you will be starving on the 7th day- “Boy!” -rapid thoughts trouble your mind as it scream ‘oh heaven why I ate the noodle this morning’, ‘what can I do’, ‘my father will remind unburied’, ‘his body will be dumped into the forest’, ‘I’m sorr-‘

“BOY!” Uncle Liu’s yell brought your mind back to reality. He gestures you to come to him. You do so. He pats on the stone bed next to him to gesture you to sit. You do so. “Have you reached your limit? Do you wish to give up?” He asked.

You know you have reached your physical limit…
A) Nod, and give up.
B) Shake your head, but give up.
C) Shake your head. Refuse to give up.
D) Nod, but refuse to give up.
E) Write in.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
D

Never give up, never surrender.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
C. And use the mental image of our shovel connecting with the back of certain officer's head to fuel the digging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
D gently caress Rong. I won't let him win regardless of physical limitations. Mind is body.