Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
what the gently caress, Who's taking poo poo about Fringe?

Get with the program son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

ashpanash posted:

F sucked, R was good, I was great, N was kind of iffy, and GE was pretty much garbage.

In my head I'm stabbing you in the face over and over. You're right abount N but GE was loving amazing even if it did require a few retcons. There are far more egregious examples than that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Soooooo what's up with Darlene being all "Hey, I'm sorry and you're right; I should be more open about what I'm doing with Elliot" and Angela's all "D'AWWW OKAY I FORGIVE YOU" and that's it? Darlene doesn't even admit anything. Angela's just glad she wasn't caught by creepy dad? I dunno, seemed really off at the time.

CrushedWill posted:

The narration technique, reveal (I laughed in a good way with the Pixies cover) and all of the archetypes allow the completely ignorant to enjoy the show while allowing those with more media exposure to be amazed.
I told my mom to watch the show (she knows nothing about tech) because she enjoyed Dexter and Breaking Bad. Apparently she binge watched everything over 2 days and wrote me an e-mail letting me know she loves it even though she doesn't understand all the lingo. She apparently Googles things like ddos and root kits now. My mom the hacker...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Wow. Ummm, here's an out there thought, keeping in mind with the title and all.

Elliot is an AI experiment that's not going so well. A sentient cyberweapon.

With issues.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

ultramiraculous posted:

Ugh I wish Fringe wasn't such a bad show.

Edit: Though I guess Orphan Black did that 100000x better.
How does it feel to be a poo poo person with garbage opinions who will never amount to anything in life...?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Soooooo what's up with Darlene being all "Hey, I'm sorry and you're right; I should be more open about what I'm doing with Elliot" and Angela's all "D'AWWW OKAY I FORGIVE YOU" and that's it? Darlene doesn't even admit anything. Angela's just glad she wasn't caught by creepy dad? I dunno, seemed really off at the time.

I think they were about to have a conversation that was cut short by them stumbling upon broken glass and realizing Elliot threw himself out a loving window.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Is Tyrell going to try to scheme what he's learning from Elliot into a way to get in good grace with Evil Corp to get back on his fast track?

I also just realized similar features between Darlene and Elliot. They're both beautiful but have something unique/strange about them. This is the best show I've seen since BB and it saddens me that the majority of people I know won't watch it, like they won't watch BB, because their religious based morals object to some of the content and they'd only focus on that rather than the phenomenal acting, cinematography, music, story, etc.

Part of me was disappointed that Elliot's dad was in his head since I kind of hoped for a different outcome after Fight Club, BSG, Dexter and the like did so. But it was so well done and Rami is so amazing to watch it made me feel more of the distress of his condition and the nightmare it must be rather than a plot device for exposition.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Feenix posted:

Well my point was she was snarky and roll-eyes-y at everyone, always, and kinda just had that "psshhhh, whatever dude! As if!!" Vibe.
The last 2 or 3 eps she has been very not that.

It's also been like 3 months since she showed up. Keep in mind they did a few timeskips, notably a month passed after other-chick died

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.
I really hope the show isn't done with Vera yet. I want Elliot to get some revenge for Shayla. :(

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

Lumis posted:

I really hope the show isn't done with Vera yet. I want Elliot to get some revenge for Shayla. :(

Maybe Tyrell will end up beating him to death in a bonding sequence with Elliot.

Or he could put his head in a box and Elliot could ask "what's in the box?"

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I think Tyrell Wellick is secretly writing articles on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-life-would-look-we-said-work-life-balance-nod-amazon-trunk

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lumis posted:

If he returns it probably won't be until next season.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Mujaji posted:

Maybe Tyrell will end up beating him to death in a bonding sequence with Elliot.

Or he could put his head in a box and Elliot could ask "what's in the box?"
Great now I can't stop thinking about what other great movie homages they could use for this.

Printer scene in Office Space or the Mr. Blonde and Nash torture from Reservoir Dogs...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Vera is not coming back

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Jose posted:

Vera is not coming back

I agree he is not coming back. He was there to show Eliot that what he is doing has real consequences, and that he can lose.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

AzureSkys posted:

Is Tyrell going to try to scheme what he's learning from Elliot into a way to get in good grace with Evil Corp to get back on his fast track?

If Tyrell is going to try and get back in Evil Corp then I think he might just help Elliot with his plan, because if the plan goes off without a hitch then the new CTO is definitely going to be fired. There is also the possibility that he wants redemption or to go out in a blaze of glory, because he considers it unlikely that he will get his job or family back.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
According to the very end of the Hollywood Prospectus podcast, the post-credit scene that people have mentioned is next week.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

venutolo posted:

According to the very end of the Hollywood Prospectus podcast, the post-credit scene that people have mentioned is next week.

Which is the season finale, right? Makes sense.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012

Proposition Joe posted:

If Tyrell is going to try and get back in Evil Corp then I think he might just help Elliot with his plan, because if the plan goes off without a hitch then the new CTO is definitely going to be fired. There is also the possibility that he wants redemption or to go out in a blaze of glory, because he considers it unlikely that he will get his job or family back.

If Elliott's plan works, there won't be an Evil Corp to take Tyrell back.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Am I retarded, or is eliot tyrell? Like, thats the big reveal, imo.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Here's what I think will happen:

1. Despite whatever last-minute obstacles that spring up, F-Society and Dark Army trigger their hack.
2. Tyrell manages to snag a copy of the encryption key, then uses it to threaten the Evil Corp board of directors: make him CEO, or lose everything.
3. On his way up, he snags Elliot as CTO, when F-Society turns on him.

I actually hope they don't go this way, since it's very much the "status quo" option. A much bolder course would be to really go through with it, and see the aftermath of F-Society "saving the world."

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Am I retarded, or is eliot tyrell? Like, thats the big reveal, imo.

How retarded would Giddeon have to be to not recognize that one of his employees is also working as for his client?

Like, he hatches up this honeypot scheme to catch Eliot because he suspects something is up, and then he goes to E-Corp to talk about it and Eliot is there pretending to be some guy named Tyrell???

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
What if Elliot is actually the dog and he's been pissing and making GBS threads all over his apartment this whole time?!?!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wait is that a sign of mental illness?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Proposition Joe posted:

How retarded would Giddeon have to be to not recognize that one of his employees is also working as for his client?

Like, he hatches up this honeypot scheme to catch Eliot because he suspects something is up, and then he goes to E-Corp to talk about it and Eliot is there pretending to be some guy named Tyrell???

Eliot is Gideon too. It's just Eliots all the way down.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

VDay posted:

What if Elliot is actually the dog and he's been pissing and making GBS threads all over his apartment this whole time?!?!

Elliot's the fish and he's just bored. All these problems could have been resolved if somebody could have bothered to move the goddamn fishbowl.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I love how the big reveal was dealt with; an obvious deduction for the audience, but a massive revelation for Elliot. I've gotten to the point now where I'm finding the huge amount of TV makes me jaded, but once a while something like this comes along and surprises me in all the best possible ways.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Wasn't Steel Mountain supposed to move all of ecorps stuff like 2 days after the first failed attack?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Trabandiumium posted:

Wasn't Steel Mountain supposed to move all of ecorps stuff like 2 days after the first failed attack?

They replicated all the tapes and moved them to several locations, but Elliot realized he could control all the locations HVAC from his raspberry pi. It was a throwaway line and way too easy, but there it is.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Brock Samson posted:

They replicated all the tapes and moved them to several locations, but Elliot realized he could control all the locations HVAC from his raspberry pi. It was a throwaway line and way too easy, but there it is.

Easy, but also frustratingly realistic.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

TheBalor posted:

I actually hope they don't go this way, since it's very much the "status quo" option. A much bolder course would be to really go through with it, and see the aftermath of F-Society "saving the world."

This is what I am hoping for in a big way. I think that's the boldest direction the show could go in, and would leave the next 4 seasons open for a LOT of interesting dystopian cyberpunk plot lines.

At this point I have enough faith in this show that the ending won't ruin it, but I think it's definitely possible for them to not be as ambitious as they could.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

ashpanash posted:

I'll say it again - I think the show is about hacking as much as Breaking Bad was about chemistry. As in - not really at all, but they get the details right because that makes for better storytelling.

Breaking Bad was about the (sometimes explosive) process of change, aka Chemistry. Mr. Robot is about the fracturing and violation of identities, aka Hacking. Both shows put an emphasis on making the science or the technology as realistic as possible because these elements are NOT just bloated superstructure, but rather, they form the base on top of which the human drama can effectively happen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just binged this show in a couple of days, and honestly went through the whole thing without even a suspicion about Ghost Dad. It didn't even come up as an idea for me until I read it in this thread after the Darlene reveal.

After last episode I had to go back and watch all the scenes where Darlene interacts with Elliot. Now I have to go back and watch every scene where Mr. Robot interacts with anybody.

Edit: Like, I especially have to go back and look at the Steel Mountain road trip, how would that even begin to make sense

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 23, 2015

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Elliot is Tyrell, but doesn't work for E-Corp. Tyrell is just Elliiot's imagination of what kind of person works at E-Corp - a murderous psychopath. All the Tyrell scenes without Elliot are just what Elliot imagines Tyrell's life is like and to give the Tyrell personality motivation.

Wouldn't it be great if the next time Elliot bumps into Christian Slater, he's all like, "oh no, I'm hallucinating my dad again!" and Christian Slater is like, "duh, whut?" and he ends up to be a completely unrelated dude. Then Elliot goes home and looks in his photo album and it's all the same photos as before, but his dad is a totally different guy and not Christian Slater at all.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

LabyaMynora posted:

Elliot is Tyrell, but doesn't work for E-Corp. Tyrell is just Elliiot's imagination of what kind of person works at E-Corp - a murderous psychopath. All the Tyrell scenes without Elliot are just what Elliot imagines Tyrell's life is like and to give the Tyrell personality motivation.

Wouldn't it be great if the next time Elliot bumps into Christian Slater, he's all like, "oh no, I'm hallucinating my dad again!" and Christian Slater is like, "duh, whut?" and he ends up to be a completely unrelated dude. Then Elliot goes home and looks in his photo album and it's all the same photos as before, but his dad is a totally different guy and not Christian Slater at all.

I had that same idea. Like later on in the series, another person shows up that ends up being a vision of his dad in his head, but because he's forgotten what he looks like, the audience is presented a completely different person to reflect what's in eliots head.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

LabyaMynora posted:

When Tyrell mentions the encryption key, my first thought was that they are different personalities of the same person.

I don't have access to any of the episodes except what Charter VOD gives me while on vacation but I plan on reviewing the Tyrell interactions with others when I get back to civilization.

Also, I'm pretty dense, I just made the Tyrell association with Blade Runner. Not sure what that has to do with anything but it is amusing in the robot context.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CrushedWill posted:

Also, I'm pretty dense, I just made the Tyrell association with Blade Runner. Not sure what that has to do with anything but it is amusing in the robot context.

If Wellick comes across a turtle on its back, well, I feel pretty bad for that turtle.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Subjunctive posted:

If Wellick comes across a turtle on its back, well, I feel pretty bad for that turtle.

I can only hope somebody asks about his mother.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Those Nintendos wouldn't be yellowed in 1994.

Immersion ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
If they want to go for max mind fuckery they'll just recast ghost dad and sister and season 2 will just be a retelling of season 1.

• Locked thread