Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Speaking of Noodler's, I heard the announcement via Goulet that Tardiff's switching to plastic bottles due to glass supply issues. Better save your old bottles, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

aldantefax posted:

Speaking of Noodler's, I heard the announcement via Goulet that Tardiff's switching to plastic bottles due to glass supply issues. Better save your old bottles, I guess!

There's also an amusing and traditionally ranting video from Nathan himself.

This man is so angry about the free market he so heartily worships. :allears:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

tater_salad posted:

I want a dark green ink I'm afraid of diamine because I used some chesterfield and it sucked.

The Diamine Green-Black that I'm using works just fine. Not as dark as I'd anticipated but I don't know exactly what you're looking for. I really wish Noodler's was less finicky because I really like that Zhivago, it's exactly what I was looking for at first.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

cobalt impurity posted:

There's also an amusing and traditionally ranting video from Nathan himself.

This man is so angry about the free market he so heartily worships. :allears:

"I view it as the greatest crime when the dollar is devalued and I don't want any part of it."

Goddamn Nathan, never change. :allears:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Titus Sardonicus posted:

The Diamine Green-Black that I'm using works just fine. Not as dark as I'd anticipated but I don't know exactly what you're looking for. I really wish Noodler's was less finicky because I really like that Zhivago, it's exactly what I was looking for at first.

Erenite?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Not sure. I did some looking around and some are guessing that Erinite is Diamine Sherwood Green, and at a glance I'm inclined to believe it. Maybe, I dunno, I think it might depend on the nib too. But the stuff I got is a 2mL sample of Diamine Green-Black, straightforward name for the color.

I didn't know about Salamander though, kinda wish I did, it looks closer to what I wanted.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Not sure. I did some looking around and some are guessing that Erinite is Diamine Sherwood Green, and at a glance I'm inclined to believe it. Maybe, I dunno, I think it might depend on the nib too. But the stuff I got is a 2mL sample of Diamine Green-Black, straightforward name for the color.

I didn't know about Salamander though, kinda wish I did, it looks closer to what I wanted.

You might like Evergreen, too.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I tried the chesterfield night sapphire in 4 different pens (wet and dry) and it works like poo poo in all of them.. unless pen has been nib down for 30 min it won't work.. in one pen it won't work at all.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Noctone posted:

I was all excited when I saw this in my email but then I went to join and they were already out of Alt-Goldgrun :mad:

There's still some in Slot 3...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Meldonox posted:

"I view it as the greatest crime when the dollar is devalued and I don't want any part of it."

Goddamn Nathan, never change. :allears:

At least he channels his lunacy into making fountain pen inks and not something more dangerous.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm going to get a second fountain pen guys. :ohdear: My current one is a Pilot Metro with fine nib and it's been good to me; the nib size is perfect for assignments at school and it's really easy to take care of. I'd like to get a slightly nicer pen with a bit of a wider nib, just to hold another ink and use in my notebooks. At the moment I'm considering a Lamy Safari or Al Star with fine nib (since they seem to run broader than the Pilot nibs?). Is there anything else around that price range that I should look at?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Depends on how fancy you want to get I guess. I've got a Metro, Safari, Al Star, 580, and Falcon. The Safari and 580 are far and away the two that see the most use. TWSBI catches a lot of flak here (and rightly so) but when their poo poo isn't breaking it's really nice. Definitely the workhorse of my collection.

Edit: Also everybody, do feel free to tell me what my collection is missing and what I obviously need to get.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 21, 2015

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm going to get a second fountain pen guys. :ohdear: My current one is a Pilot Metro with fine nib and it's been good to me; the nib size is perfect for assignments at school and it's really easy to take care of. I'd like to get a slightly nicer pen with a bit of a wider nib, just to hold another ink and use in my notebooks. At the moment I'm considering a Lamy Safari or Al Star with fine nib (since they seem to run broader than the Pilot nibs?). Is there anything else around that price range that I should look at?

Lamy pens are nice, and the nibs are super easy to swap out. The F in Lamy is about the size of the Pilot M, which is pretty typical for Euro sizes v. Asian sizes.

The TWSBI Eco is new and slightly under $30, but I think they're still sold out.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
For what it's worth, I adore my Lamy Al Star and it's the only pen I bring to work with me, because it's basically just an aluminum tube, so it can take a beating.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I hated the look of the Safari when I saw it in the OP but it grew on me by time I finished reading this whole thread. Now it's my favorite pen. I have an extra fine Safari and a fine and a medium Metro.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Thanks. :) I encountered the Lamy gift sets with an Al Star and a notebook for like $3 more. Really like the orange.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
Yeah, my first pen was a Lamy Safari, and while I've gotten more awesome pens since, the Safari is still my go-to everyday pen (probably I don't have to baby it like some other pens).

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
A friend sent me this because they know I like fountain pens, so I guess I'm doing the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=459X2m5yIAY

Honestly don't know wtf, but I at least find the video to be both interesting for the pen production bits and sorta funny for the rest of it coupled with the serious tone.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

A solid move, I think I'd recommend the Safari, but it's a matter of preference between plastic and aluminum. Maybe consider an italic nib to spice it up, like a 1.1 maybe. You can compare nibs on Goulet's site here. Select your Pilot Metro nib and the Lamy nibs and you can see how they'll compare. The nib nook is seriously one of the best tools online imo.

Actually I'm already there, so:

Looks like an Lamy EF might be necessary, but it's stupidly close, and the Lamy EFs might be scratchy, no idea though. I don't have a Lamy F nib on me or I'd check, have a Lamy 2k but I think it's M...and at work. Italic is thicker than I thought, but if you, or anyone else, likes that style then that's something to consider.

Meldonox posted:

Depends on how fancy you want to get I guess. I've got a Metro, Safari, Al Star, 580, and Falcon. The Safari and 580 are far and away the two that see the most use. TWSBI catches a lot of flak here (and rightly so) but when their poo poo isn't breaking it's really nice. Definitely the workhorse of my collection.

Edit: Also everybody, do feel free to tell me what my collection is missing and what I obviously need to get.

Well I guess you could get a pen that costs a few hundred like a Sailor or one of those Pelikans (M800 I think?), Falcon is up there already I think. I like my Sailor 1911 Realo a lot but it's hard to use often outside of my home since it's several hundred and I worry. You could look into various filling methods you're missing like vacuumatics or get a clicky pen like the VP or the Dialog. Maybe some stub/italic nibs if you don't have some.

I guess look at things like that, maybe a Lamy 2k which is slowly becoming my favorite pen. So either pricey, classy pens or gimmicky ones. I dunno, you have a pretty solid line up as-is, maybe antique shopping is in order.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Meldonox posted:

An absolute minimum list :retrogames: ~~~

:siren:Dirt cheap, buy this on the spot:siren:
A dip pen holder, an oblique dip pen holder, and a few boxes of flexy or stub dip pen nibs (try out old Brause and Waverley nib tins from ebay if you get hooked)

Cheap-ish (arguably worse value for money than a TWSBI that doesn't break though):
hmmm wait let me think
Pelikan 200
A less fancy Parker Sonnet model, though recently their nibs have gotten really boring

Moderately expensive:
Lamy 2000
Pilot/Namiki falcon Platinum 3776 (it's the awesomest not-quite-luxury pen ever, with a giant gold nib available in soft fine and needlpoint sizes as well as all normal grades)
One of Sailor's blatant Montblanc lookalikes
Pilot Vanishing Point, steel-nibbed Japanese import model

More expensive:
:siren:Pilot 823 or 743/742, especially with FA nib:siren: (the only mass produced modern semi-flex nib, except Noodler's and some other novelty nibs).
Pelikan 400
:siren:Pilot Vanishing Point, gold nib:siren: (not just fancier, but actually has a nicer and less nail-like nib)

Really expensive :shepspends::
Pelikan 800
Montblanc 146/149
Some Japanese Maki-e decorated thing, I hear Nakaya is really nice

Used:
Parker 51, because of course you need one (getting overpriced lately)
Parker Duofold (the first '90s relaunch, before they made it mediocre again)
Sheaffer Snorkel/PFM, because it's great to fill from a bottle and never wipe and even nicer to do so with a funky diamond shaped nib (Snorkels are cheap-ish, PFMs are overpriced)
Parker 61 with capillary filler, because you can do the same with a pen upside down (cheap)
A Vintage Flex Nib Pen Of Your ChoiceTM

(things actually worth getting in my opinion bolded, so essentially buy dip pen stuff, any Vanishing Point except the easily scratched matte black model because it's the daily user pen of the gods and/or a Pilot with an FA nib and possibly a Snorkel, then realise you're spending fat stacks of cash on things that are nice but redundant in actual use beyond that)

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 21, 2015

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Brightman posted:

A solid move, I think I'd recommend the Safari, but it's a matter of preference between plastic and aluminum. Maybe consider an italic nib to spice it up, like a 1.1 maybe. You can compare nibs on Goulet's site here. Select your Pilot Metro nib and the Lamy nibs and you can see how they'll compare. The nib nook is seriously one of the best tools online imo.

Actually I'm already there, so:

Looks like an Lamy EF might be necessary, but it's stupidly close, and the Lamy EFs might be scratchy, no idea though. I don't have a Lamy F nib on me or I'd check, have a Lamy 2k but I think it's M...and at work. Italic is thicker than I thought, but if you, or anyone else, likes that style then that's something to consider.

FWIW, I ordered my Safari in XF and picked up a fat italic nib for it also, since I didn't see an option to order it with just the italic nib. The italic was fun but too big to use for work or taking notes. The nibs are easy to swap.

My Lamy XF feels the same to me as my Metro F. I think my Metro M does feel a little smoother. The only other fountain pens I've used are a couple of Noodler's and calligraphy art pens.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

An expensive, but not :homebrew: expensive :homebrew: option is the Pilot Custom 92, you can find them on eBay for ~$100-130 +S/H which is a nice deal on a 14k piston-filler.

A Noodler's Ahab + goulet nib is around the same price as a Safari and you get loads more ink capacity plus a nib I like better.

The Lamy 2000 is the loving truth, and if you can afford it I highly recommend it.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

howe_sam posted:

A Noodler's Ahab + goulet nib is around the same price as a Safari and you get loads more ink capacity plus a nib I like better.

Tell me more about these Goulet nibs. Like exactly which ones to buy. I've got an Ahab and a Konrad that I don't use as much since the nibs are less practical. They are usually hard for me to start.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

All of the Goulet-branded nibs fit the Ahab and Konrad (since they only sell #6 nibs) so buy whichever one fits your preference. I bought a Fine two-tone because it looks fancier than plain stainless steel.

Alternatively get all of them and play around!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

GoodBee posted:

FWIW, I ordered my Safari in XF and picked up a fat italic nib for it also, since I didn't see an option to order it with just the italic nib. The italic was fun but too big to use for work or taking notes. The nibs are easy to swap.

My Lamy XF feels the same to me as my Metro F. I think my Metro M does feel a little smoother. The only other fountain pens I've used are a couple of Noodler's and calligraphy art pens.

Good to hear, wasn't sure about Lamy's XFs, I know I got the Pilot Penmanship but I guess that is a Japanese EF and that thing is scratchy as all get out. I have a Lamy with a 1.5 italic that I've used for work junk before, guessing you got the 1.9 maybe? I know with the 1.5 it can be thick but if I angle it a bit I can cramp up the writing enough to write legibly on notebook paper.

blowfish posted:

An absolute minimum list :retrogames: ~~~

Moderately expensive:
Lamy 2000
Pilot/Namiki falcon Platinum 3776 (it's the awesomest not-quite-luxury pen ever, with a giant gold nib available in soft fine and needlpoint sizes as well as all normal grades)
One of Sailor's blatant Montblanc lookalikes
Pilot Vanishing Point, steel-nibbed Japanese import model

More expensive:
:siren:Pilot 823 or 743/742, especially with FA nib:siren: (the only mass produced modern semi-flex nib, except Noodler's and some other novelty nibs).
Pelikan 400
:siren:Pilot Vanishing Point, gold nib:siren: (not just fancier, but actually has a nicer and less nail-like nib)

You probably need to switch the Sailor and the gold VP, I don't know how much a steel nib VP costs, but I got my 18k gold one for $99 (130 + 2 free bottles of ink) and they typically can be had for $140...now if you get one of the collector's editions like Raden then yeah, that's super pricey, maybe that's what you were thinking of? Sailors are like 250~350 depending, the one I got has an msrp of 400 but I got it for 328, generally you can find any of the pricier pens for like 50 or more off, like the Lamy 2k can be had for 150 instead of 200 more often than not, the steel one is listed at 300 I think...maybe it's listed higher and sells at 300. At any rate the 2K has a great nib and the Makrolon version looks so classic and innocuous, I love it.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Don't buy the steel 2000. It's slippery and therefore not as good as the Makrolon.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Brightman posted:

Good to hear, wasn't sure about Lamy's XFs, I know I got the Pilot Penmanship but I guess that is a Japanese EF and that thing is scratchy as all get out. I have a Lamy with a 1.5 italic that I've used for work junk before, guessing you got the 1.9 maybe? I know with the 1.5 it can be thick but if I angle it a bit I can cramp up the writing enough to write legibly on notebook paper.

It's likely I just went for the fattest nib. I wanted something to play around with.

howe_sam posted:

Alternatively get all of them and play around!

I just see two, the two-tone and the steel. I'm going to pick one up whenever I figure out what bottle of ink I want to buy for my Konrad. I've been getting samples and I can't seem to fill the Konrad from sample vial so I've just been pulling out the whole nib and feed and filling it that way.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm just gonna throw this out there that if you want a visually arresting pen that borders on tacky in the "fancy" bracket to consider a pen with Raden inlay like the Vanishing Point Raden. Basically, if you find yourself looking at Nibs.com, you're in the "fancy" bracket, and 'normal' pen vendors for most everything else.

http://www.nibs.com/PilotVPRaden.htm

It's only 300 bucks for the cheapest one! Sorry, I'm projecting a bit here since I want to get one of these one day.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Writing with a fat stub like the 1.9 is fun after a little practice, but I found my Vista had a hard time keeping up with it even after I widened the ink channels in the feed. The 1.5 works great though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

GoodBee posted:

I just see two, the two-tone and the steel.

Oh right, I was thinking of all the different nib sizes available (everything from XF to 1.5mm Italic!)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Kessel posted:

Don't buy the steel 2000. It's slippery and therefore not as good as the Makrolon.

Didn't know that, now I don't feel bad about not getting that when it was on Massdrop, granted I love the look of the Makrolon so much there wasn't much regret to begin with.

aldantefax posted:

I'm just gonna throw this out there that if you want a visually arresting pen that borders on tacky in the "fancy" bracket to consider a pen with Raden inlay like the Vanishing Point Raden. Basically, if you find yourself looking at Nibs.com, you're in the "fancy" bracket, and 'normal' pen vendors for most everything else.

http://www.nibs.com/PilotVPRaden.htm

It's only 300 bucks for the cheapest one! Sorry, I'm projecting a bit here since I want to get one of these one day.

I really want one of the other two, but they're like 640 I think and I'm pretty sure the nib is the same as the carbonesque blue one I already have.

Also going back to the initial post from Meldonox I think the Pilot Custom 823 might be the best recommendation. It's pricey, a vacuum filler, with a gold nib, and a great reputation. Ya know, unless you hate any of those aspects.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Oh right, I was thinking of all the different nib sizes available (everything from XF to 1.5mm Italic!)

Oh! I didn't actually click on them to see options for size. Oops. Decisions, decisions.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Brightman posted:

Also going back to the initial post from Meldonox I think the Pilot Custom 823 might be the best recommendation. It's pricey, a vacuum filler, with a gold nib, and a great reputation. Ya know, unless you hate any of those aspects.

Well, I write a lot with my TWSBI so I obviously hate great reputations.

These are some good suggestions guys, thanks. I'm looking over some of them now.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Meldonox posted:

Well, I write a lot with my TWSBI so I obviously hate great reputations.

These are some good suggestions guys, thanks. I'm looking over some of them now.

If you're thinking about the Platinum 3776 buy it on eBay from a Japanese seller. They retail for ~$200 USD and you can consistently get them for <$100 USD from glorious Nippon.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

If you're thinking about the Platinum 3776 buy it on eBay from a Japanese seller. They retail for ~$200 USD and you can consistently get them for <$100 USD from glorious Nippon.

I bought the blue 3776 from amazon for $80 last week. It turned out to be the 14k version as well, which was genuinely surprising.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1N906K/ref=sr_ph_1?m=A1MEB0LDAXEL0&ie=UTF8&qid=1440175938&sr=sr-1&keywords=platinum+3776

That seller also sells the black one for $70.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I absolutely love my Pelikan M600 if we're talking about higher end pens.

It's smooth, feels great in the hand and is absolutely stunning to look at. You can even hold it up to the light, and it turns out that the black stripes are transparent enough to show the ink level of the pen.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Man, I could get behind that. The blue is especially nice. Wonder if I need a new ink to go with it.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

You always need a new ink. There is never not a reason to buy a new ink. Haven't you people learned anything from this thread?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My Man Shran posted:

You always need a new ink. There is never not a reason to buy a new ink. Haven't you people learned anything from this thread?

Always never not buy new ink.
I mean what if they stop making it, or I'd you need a new color and don't have it.
I think ink addiction is worse than pens.

Wife: you have green ink
Me: but that's light green.. I need a dark green and a brownish green.. oh and this mint color looks good too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

I absolutely love my Pelikan M600 if we're talking about higher end pens.

The M600 is great, my only, and very minor, complaints are that it's just a shade too short unposted for my taste, likewise the section is a bit small, and I think the blue/black looks better with the 605 rhodium trim. Red/black on the other hand is dead sexy with the gold trim.

And to prove that I am never satisfied, I think the M800 is a touch too wide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Always never not buy new ink.
I mean what if they stop making it, or I'd you need a new color and don't have it.
I think ink addiction is worse than pens.

Wife: you have green ink
Me: but that's light green.. I need a dark green and a brownish green.. oh and this mint color looks good too.

50 Shades of Green.

Also: Anybody looking for something in the 100-175 dollar range should seriously consider restored vintage pens. Some of my favorite pens are 1950s Sheaffer (fat) touchdowns and PdAg-nibbed snorkels. An aerometric Parker 51 would probably be the best babby's first vintage pen choice, I suppose.

Peyton Street Pens is probably the best place to shop for older toys.