Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

DoctaFun posted:

I would hesitate to tell someone who just broke 100 for the first time a couple rounds ago that they need to practice hitting draws, fades and straight shots at different trajectories while on the range. Effective practice? Build confidence by not being able to hit a draw or a fade or a high or a low shot. You'll feel great heading to the first tee after hitting 6 out of 50 balls even remotely close to how you wanted to.

I like the idea of not hitting the same club over and over, but for someone who is still trying to make a consistent swing, adding shape and trajectory(that's like NINE different shapes to practice: fade/straight/draw, hi/medium/low) seems like a disaster.

Work on making CONSISTENT contact and live with your natural shot shape. I'm a 2 handicap and I've hit probably 3 fades with my irons all year, I naturally hit a bit of a draw.

Spend as much or more time practicing chipping/putting than at the range would be my advice to someone shooting ~100.

I think it's more beneficial to think of it as experimentation than it is to think of it as learning fades and draws and shot shape. It's more, "when I make a swing that feels like this, it results in this happening. Hey I bet if I need to do that on purpose on the golf course, I can do it!"

I'm just throwing it out there as an option of how to gradually learn. I know for my engineery type brain it helps to think of it as experimentation and gathering of evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
Hey guys, I'm the once every 3 years golfer and poster in this thread!

I've recently moved and cut way, way down on how many hours I work and I'm looking to once again get back into golf. I already have some lessons scheduled, so I'm here for advice on drivers. What driver would you guys recommend for $130 or less? Rockbottomgolf has quite a few so any help is appreciated. I'll buy from anywhere, doesn't have to be there, but I figured that would be my best bet.

I'm looking for something mostly forgiving and I'm obviously fine getting a model a year or 2 out of date.

Also, when looking through this thread I saw a website mentioned, I cannot remember nor find it now, that I think had lessons/drills for practicing. It was a pay membership. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have any opinions on it?

Thanks!

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009

Essential posted:

Also, when looking through this thread I saw a website mentioned, I cannot remember nor find it now, that I think had lessons/drills for practicing. It was a pay membership. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have any opinions on it?

Thanks!

Might be Golf Scrimmages.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

minstrels posted:

Might be Golf Scrimmages.

That's it, thanks!

Any used it and have an opinion/review?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Essential posted:

That's it, thanks!

Any used it and have an opinion/review?
If you're going to use internet instruction, at least get it for free on YouTube.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

If you're going to use internet instruction, at least get it for free on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/meandmygolf

The guys over at Me and My Golf have some good drills and lessons up.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

EnsGDT posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/meandmygolf

The guys over at Me and My Golf have some good drills and lessons up.

Excellent, thank you!

It looks like the drivers in my price range on rockbottomgolf are all weird flex and/or loft. I do see that the TaylorMade JetSpeed driver is on sale at various places for $129.99, so I'm researching that one now, if anyone has used it.

VVVV Awesome, thanks for that info. I'll wait until that one hits the sales rack then. I've been waiting long enough, a few more months won't kill me. VVVV

Essential fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 18, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Just wait for the non-adjustable Aeroburners to hit sales racks instead since it's apparently a major upgrade over the lower launching Jetspeed - according to the goons I play with that have them.

Also, run from the SLDR's - there is a reason they have been on sale for 2 years - they are unhittable and even lower launching and have a tiny sweet spot.

DJ plays an Aeroburner.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 18, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Essential posted:

I've recently moved and cut way, way down on how many hours I work and I'm looking to once again get back into golf. I already have some lessons scheduled, so I'm here for advice on drivers. What driver would you guys recommend for $130 or less? Rockbottomgolf has quite a few so any help is appreciated. I'll buy from anywhere, doesn't have to be there, but I figured that would be my best bet.

I'm looking for something mostly forgiving and I'm obviously fine getting a model a year or 2 out of date.
I had a Taylormade driver and another driver my dad gave me. I could not hit either. The last time I played with the Taylormade I teed up 3 times on the same hole and all three balls went straight into the woods to the right and I played the rest of the round with my 7 iron off the tee. I googled "most forgiving driver" and the Ping K15 (and a couple others) came up multiple times. I went to Golfsmith with the list, they had a used K15 in stock (10.5 degrees), I hit it 3 times, all three went straight on the screen, bought it, and my drives always go straight unless I top it or pop it up. They only go like 215 yards, but they do it every time. It was without a doubt the best 45 bucks I have spent on this game so far. So if you are as bad as me I'd check that one out. Also, the 215 is because I have no length...I doubt the driver is the limiting factor on length.

For reference, my first round in 2 years was in May this year and before May I have never broken 124. My last round was an even 100 (1 mulligan). I never took golf seriously before June of this year.

Anyone have advice on getting individual Ping G20 Irons? My set starts at the 7 iron and I want a 5 and 6. I can only get one replacement from ping (78 shipped). I keep checking ebay. My friend said maybe I could look at getting even easier to hit 5 and 6 irons from another set. Based on ebay I am going to guess it is going to cost 120ish to get a 5 and 6 iron shipped which seems like a lot since I only paid 120 for 7-UW. I also have a G25 5 hybrid. Should I think about just getting a G20 6 iron? It is hard to pay 65% of what I paid for my entire set for 1 club.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Essential posted:

Excellent, thank you!

It looks like the drivers in my price range on rockbottomgolf are all weird flex and/or loft. I do see that the TaylorMade JetSpeed driver is on sale at various places for $129.99, so I'm researching that one now, if anyone has used it.

VVVV Awesome, thanks for that info. I'll wait until that one hits the sales rack then. I've been waiting long enough, a few more months won't kill me. VVVV

Go check the bargain bin at your local golf shop, swing everything you can get your hands on in the 10-11° range (more loft if you swing slowly, I have no idea how fast you swing haha) and see which driver you get the most consistent, center of the clubface contact with, and what weight and flex just feels the best to swing.

Then bring that to the lessons and work on your swing.

Then go get fit and join the addiction :D

Basically, think of it like the magic wand shop in Harry Potter. When you find the right swing weight and over all weight, something will click.

Edit:

Also, for MY game, this is what I've been working on the most recently. Really clearing the left shoulder up and back, without mushing it forward, and without clipping that imaginary line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpi2dM4hg9Q

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 18, 2015

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Ribsauce posted:

...Ping K15...

EnsGDT posted:

Go check the bargain bin at your local golf shop, swing everything you can get your hands on in the 10-11° range (more loft if you swing slowly, I have no idea how fast you swing haha) and see which driver you get the most consistent, center of the clubface contact with, and what weight and flex just feels the best to swing.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help. I stopped in the course that is just around the corner from me for the first time and the guy was super nice and helpful. I'm going back this week to hit a few drivers and see what fits me.

Part of the problem is I have money burning a hole in my pocket, but I just can't justify spending a lot on a new driver. I do not want to be the guy that shows up with $4000 in equipment and shanks a drive 200 yards on the first tee. I really feel like I want to earn the right (so to say) of purchasing good, expensive equipment, rather than the other way around.

VVVV Roseville, CA. I'm definitely open to suggestions on who to go to. VVVV

EnsGDT posted:

http://pasadenaclubfitter.com/
That's my guy, you can honestly just email him if you wanna haha

Got it, thanks!

Keyser S0ze posted:

If yer in Roseville go down to Haggin Oaks and test a zillion drivers outdoors.....don't waste your time indoors at Golf Galaxy.

Great, thanks! I was just on their website earlier today!

Essential fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 18, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Essential posted:

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help. I stopped in the course that is just around the corner from me for the first time and the guy was super nice and helpful. I'm going back this week to hit a few drivers and see what fits me.

Part of the problem is I have money burning a hole in my pocket, but I just can't justify spending a lot on a new driver. I do not want to be the guy that shows up with $4000 in equipment and shanks a drive 200 yards on the first tee. I really feel like I want to earn the right (so to say) of purchasing good, expensive equipment, rather than the other way around.

Where do you live? I can ask my fitter if he has any recommendations near you, if you'd like.

Essential posted:

VVVV Roseville, CA. I'm definitely open to suggestions on who to go to. VVVV

Oh, well hell, I'm in LA so Bob will definitely know someone.

http://pasadenaclubfitter.com/
That's my guy, you can honestly just email him if you wanna haha

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 18, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
If yer in Roseville go down to Haggin Oaks and test a zillion drivers outdoors.....don't waste your time indoors at Golf Galaxy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Essential posted:

Don't worry, if you shank it the ball won't go 200 yards.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Managed to sneak in 9 holes yesterday arvo. Experimenting with my Driver and I thought to myself, if I can confidently hit a 2 iron why the hell don't I just use that same swing with the driver?

Managed to hit 3 or 4 drives ~280meters with a little draw, just like my 2i. There's hope for me yet!

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Don't worry, if you shank it the ball won't go 200 yards.

Hah, true. What I really meant was slicing it across 3 fairways.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I finally got around to videoing my driver swing and fear that I maybe made a mistake. My driving is the strongest part of my game on most days, but looking at the video I see a few things that are not good. It makes me want to "fix" my swing but I bet if I attempt that, it'll just end up loving it all up and being worse off than I am now. There's like 2 months left in the golf season here, I'm hoping I can make it that long without changing anything too drastically.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
Check out my new putter! This replaces a .25c Ram putter that my brother in law gave me.

I really like the feel of this one and I do like the grip so far. It's not the super fatty, it's the 3.0 size.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Man..that is shiny haha

Very nice!

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

EnsGDT posted:

Man..that is shiny haha

Very nice!

Thanks!

Well, it's only been used on the carpet in my house...sinking putts across the living room to win the Masters :)

I found out the course right around the corner from me has lights on the driving range and putting green until 10pm, so I really have no excuse now.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Essential posted:

I found out the course right around the corner from me has lights on the driving range and putting green until 10pm, so I really have no excuse now.

Haha yeah mines open until midnight in the summer. I may or may not be there right now...

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Nice putter Essential. I've got the same grip!

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Halo14 posted:

Nice putter Essential. I've got the same grip!

Thanks!

So far I really like the grip. I obviously haven't had a chance to really test it out, but it does feel really good. It was nice that it came with it as well and I didn't have to buy it separately.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger is actually playing like Tiger Woods today at Wyndham.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mattfl posted:

Tiger is actually playing like Tiger Woods today at Wyndham.

It will last until Saturday and then he will fall apart.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Furnaceface posted:

It will last until Saturday and then he will fall apart.

Nah, he'll have a decent finish but probably get overrun by a no-name birdie machine. This course is easy, plus it's almost a win-win for him. If he wins, he gets into the playoffs. If not, he gets to take time off and practice before doing some very lucrative overseas things.

I know he says he only tees it up if he believes he can win, but he can't be a favorite if he's never played here before. I'm looking for a relaxed tournament week from him, maybe a backdoor top 10. I have him on my fantasy team, so I'd like to see a victory, but we'll see.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
We're going Sunday. I've never gone to a tournament. I hope Tiger is near the lead mostly because I feel like the atmosphere will be a lot more exciting.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Ribsauce posted:

We're going Sunday. I've never gone to a tournament. I hope Tiger is near the lead mostly because I feel like the atmosphere will be a lot more exciting.

The Wyndham is always pretty fun crowd wise, it's been sometime since I went though, Greensboro is like an hour and half from me so it's not really worth the drive. I like going a mile down the road and jumping on a bus to go to the Wells Fargo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Holy poo poo Tiger :stare:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Holy poo poo Tiger :stare:

And Davis Love III, what is it, 1997?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For the longest time, I've hated the shaft in my 3 wood, a RIP Alpha 80X. It always felt dead to me. I was planning on reshafting it, but my friend hit it so well that he bought it. I was budgeting about $50 for the reshaft, and I was able to order a replacement for $50 than he paid me. :dance:

New(ish) 3 wood is Titleist 915F 15* w/Aldila Rogue Black 80X. I ordered it with a lighter sole weight to swap with my driver since I plan on extending my driver 1/2".

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

thebushcommander posted:

The Wyndham is always pretty fun crowd wise, it's been sometime since I went though, Greensboro is like an hour and half from me so it's not really worth the drive. I like going a mile down the road and jumping on a bus to go to the Wells Fargo.

I'm in Raleigh so it is the same distance. I am debated going solo tomorrow since Tiger is in the lead and it is gonna be bananas but I am gonna stick to the Sunday plan.

I hope he is still in contention after tomorrow.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

And Davis Love III, what is it, 1997?

All we need is David Duval... and now I made myself sad. :(

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

All we need is David Duval... and now I made myself sad. :(

And my personal favorite, Fred Couples :)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Prediction: Tiger beats Davis Love III in a playoff, and never wins again.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Holy shat it is packed around Tiger. Assuming he holds his position (big assumption I know), I am going to follow some other people until the leaders are on the last 4 or 5 holes. It might be like my own private tournament. Hell, there might not even be a cameraman anywhere else.

I might be going by myself, which I think might be kind of awesome actually. Both the guys I was going to go with might have to bail. Has anyone gone to one of these things solo? Is it still fun?

The announcers were saying these are the fastest Bermuda greens in a while. I played in NC yesterday and the greens were like concrete. You could drop the ball out of an airplane and not make a mark on them.

edit

WTF why is there a 30 minute coverage gap? Is there some stupid legal reason the Golf Network can't just roll into CBS?

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 22, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I cant believe Tiger managed to get par out of that mess

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I cant believe Tiger managed to get par out of that mess

If he ends up winning its because of that putt.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I loved a stat they put up earlier.

Woods - 79 career wins
Hoge - 79 career PGA TOUR rounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
That 3 putt bogey on the last to ruin a clean scorecard might actually be a net-positive, or at least a wash.

Isn't it better that Tiger has to chase down the lead from only a couple of strokes back? Not considering the solo 2nd and other things that have to fall in to place to get him in the Barclays, it's a win or go home. Do or die.

He'll have to be confident in his plan. Being one of the finest tacticians the game has ever seen, he won't be pulling driver on every single hole.

His goal is pretty simple, and I think he'd rather be chasing a lead than having to protect it. A different set of nerves in his position, but it's been years since he's had to deal with protecting a lead on Sunday.

Also, Gore and Blixt each shot 62 today. I'm betting neither of them shoot anything remotely close to that blistering number tomorrow. Couple that with having to see Tiger in front of them, watching every good shot and every good putt fall, having to wait for his galleries to move with him, having to listen to their roars when he begins his charge up the leaderboard.

I want to believe.