Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Director: Ridley Scott
Writer: Screenplay by Drew Goddard, based on the 2011 novel The Martian by Andy Weir.
Starring: Matt Damon, with Jessica Chastain, Michael Peña, Kristen Wiig, Jeff Daniels, Kate Mara, and Donald Glover in supporting roles.
Release: September 30, 2015 (Aus/UK); October 2, 2015 (US)
Official Website | IMDB | Facebook | Twitter | Buy the book
Wikipedia (Film) | Wikipedia (Novel)

Synopsis posted:

NASA astronaut Mark Watney, a botanist and mechanical engineer, is presumed dead and left stranded on Mars when the crew of the Ares 3 - the third manned Mars mission - are forced to abort and head back to Earth during a fierce storm. Watney finds himself stranded and alone, with only meager supplies and his ingenuity, wit, and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal home, despite knowing that even if his survival is made known there is no prospect of a rescue.

Trailers:
Teaser Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4PCI0NamI
Official Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej3ioOneTy8 (spoilery)
Ares 3: Farewell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CumZP6_9sHU (in universe)
Ares 3: The Right Stuff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wygmxzp6VzY (in universe | character introduction)
Ares: Our Greatest Adventure - Presented by Neil deGrasse Tyson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fdKyszL1Zo (in universe)
Bring Him Home - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOXVVvBAl1o (in universe)

Clips/Scenes:
Storm Report - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0V-kqIe4pw
Do The Math - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KsVojEaoms
Checks Out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcyfDRYKDJM

Videos:
Interview between Andy Weir (Author) and Adam Savage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SemyzKgaUU (proclick)
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Cast & Filmmaker Q&A Highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPlElPBaymw
Science Vs Cinema: The Martian Sneak Preview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2COiezJZR28 (review/initial impressions & writeup from aintitcool.com)

Other:
Ares 3: The Complete Mission Guide (in universe booklet | crew profiles etc)

Photos:

Book Quotes: (Also the one in the thread title)

quote:

“Everything went great right up to the explosion.”

quote:

“I guess you could call it a "failure", but I prefer the term "learning experience".”

quote:

“As with most of life's problems, this one can be solved by a box of pure radiation.”

I'm making this thread early so people can discuss the book and the upcoming film someplace that doesn't clutter up the Spaceflight Thread (pro click btw) although I would like people discussing the book to use spoiler tags for major plot points, it looks like this film adaptation will run pretty close to the source material.

You should check out the book, it is very good and a fun read. You can easily knock it out in a day or two.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Reserved post.

And some promo comic strips:

Expedition 45 to the International Space Station watched an advance screening of the movie while in orbit:
https://twitter.com/astro_kjell/status/645619673753477120

quote:

Kjell Lindgren Verified account @astro_kjell

Movie night! What a treat to watch #TheMartian while in space and see reflections of our own #JourneyToMars!

Reviews:
Currently sitting at 97% on Rotten Tomato with 34 reviews.

New York Post posted:

The best thing that either Matt Damon and director Ridley Scott have done in years. 3.5/4

Variety posted:

"The Martian" should do far more than just make Fox a ton of money; it could conceivably rekindle interest in the space program and inspire a new generation of future astronauts.

BBC.com posted:

The Martian is like Gravity without the floating, Apollo 13 without the documentary intrigue and 127 Hours without the mental breakdown. It's not nearly as exciting as you wished it was. 3/5

Aint it cool.com posted:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/73045 [Cinema Vs Science writeup]
For my money, it is Ridley Scott's best film in 30 years. Of course, that's based largely on the strength of the outstanding novel by Andy Weir.
I do have a few nitpicks though. Chief among them is that the film looks a little *too* good. I was always aware that these were movie stars, not real-life scientists and astronauts. Every shot was composed a little too perfectly. And it was quite obvious that everything from the vehicles to the software was made by a production designer, not an engineer.

I talked to another critic after the screening, one who hadn't read the book, and this actually ruined the film for him. He thought it was too big-budget Hollywood, and that made it hard for him to suspend disbelief. That wasn't the case for me though. even though I knew all the beats in the story, I still found myself either getting tense or laughing at all the right parts.

Other poster:

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 27, 2015

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I don't know if I'm fully convinced that Matt Damon is the right guy to portray Watney's sense of humor, but I kind of don't care because The Martian owns incredibly hard. It's like Hatchet for adults and in space.

It'a also kind of hilarious that Matt Damon is the lead after his role in Interstellar.

iJay
Jul 6, 2005

Dolph Lundgren is awesome
The official trailer is fuckin awesome - too bad it's very spoilery. But I really the one-liners

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm super jazzed for this film.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Good GOD is the "big words over face" poster style played out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The wheels on the rover have that same spiral thing going on as the wheels on Spirit and Opportunity. This makes me happy.

:neckbeard:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Powered Descent posted:

The wheels on the rover have that same spiral thing going on as the wheels on Spirit and Opportunity. This makes me happy.

:neckbeard:

What purpose does the spiral serve? At first glance, it looks like some sort of torsion spring mechanism that would only work one way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I love that Ridley Scott seems to be in a period of his career where he wants to work constantly, I guess maybe it could be due to tragic circumstances though.

Anyway I'm really excited that I'm getting two new Scott sci-fi films in back-to-back years. The Martian will hold me over until Prometheus 2. Its probably too much to hope for that his next project after that will be a Blade Runner sequel.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I read in the "Who Greenlighted" thread some people talking trash about how horrible the book was written. It's by no means a masterpiece, and clearly written by somebody who comes from a more technical background than a person who went to school for writing, but I really enjoyed it.

From the view of somebody who enjoys some nitty-gritty tech stuff, it scratched the right itch for me, and I found the main character to be very likable.

Although the trailer does provide some spoilers, I don't think it's that crazy. It really only touches on things that happen in the first half of the book, it's not that bad.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I'm really hyped for this movie, the book is fantastic and I can't wait to see the film treatment. I hope it doesn't stray too far from the novel though!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

zandert33 posted:

I read in the "Who Greenlighted" thread some people talking trash about how horrible the book was written. It's by no means a masterpiece, and clearly written by somebody who comes from a more technical background than a person who went to school for writing, but I really enjoyed it.

From the view of somebody who enjoys some nitty-gritty tech stuff, it scratched the right itch for me, and I found the main character to be very likable.

Although the trailer does provide some spoilers, I don't think it's that crazy. It really only touches on things that happen in the first half of the book, it's not that bad.
That only part of the book that made me roll my eyes is when Watney needs to come up with a shorthand for a unit of power consumption that he was constantly referencing in his logs and he goes with "pirate ninjas". Thankfully it's only referenced twice thereafter.

The audiobook for The Martian, BTW, is excellent, probably one of the best that I've ever heard.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

zandert33 posted:

Yeah, I agree. Even though those who've read the book will recognize scenes from throughout the entire book, to anyone else they're context-less "Explosions! Rockets! Drama!"

Those cuts which are obviously spoilers (Pathfinder, Hermes' mutiny and rescue ) are actually misleadingly edited so don't actually spoil anything that much of importance.

Even then, I can't wait to see the movie in all its :jeb: glory.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really hope the first line of dialogue in the movie is "I'm pretty much hosed."

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

sticklefifer posted:

I really hope the first line of dialogue in the movie is "I'm pretty much hosed."

You mean monologue, don't you?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

I love that Ridley Scott seems to be in a period of his career where he wants to work constantly, I guess maybe it could be due to tragic circumstances though.

Anyway I'm really excited that I'm getting two new Scott sci-fi films in back-to-back years. The Martian will hold me over until Prometheus 2. Its probably too much to hope for that his next project after that will be a Blade Runner sequel.

Basically, after his brother died, Scott just started working nonstop. It's not dissimilar to Liam Neeson.

As for Blade Runner 2, Scott's producing it. Denis Villeneuve is directing.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Trailer looks great, seems like they're going to be pretty faithful to the book.

Minor annoyance: IIRC Watney's family is his mom and dad, and he bitches in his logs about not finding a girl to settle down with. Yet the movie has him with a wife and kids. The story really doesn't need that addition to build the drama of his survival/rescue.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

sticklefifer posted:

In an interview with Adam Savage, Andy said the single alloted PG-13 "gently caress" is used very early on.

CommanderApaul posted:

Trailer looks great, seems like they're going to be pretty faithful to the book.

Minor annoyance: IIRC Watney's family is his mom and dad, and he bitches in his logs about not finding a girl to settle down with. Yet the movie has him with a wife and kids. The story really doesn't need that addition to build the drama of his survival/rescue.

This was addressed in the spaceflight thread

kippa posted:

They haven't, it's sneaky editing making it seem that way but the wife/kid is Martinez's. Also that first "meet the crew" style video they made has him explicitly only saying goodbye to his parents, absolutely no mention of anyone else.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

TerminalSaint posted:

In an interview with Adam Savage, Andy said the single alloted PG-13 "gently caress" is used very early on.

This was addressed in the spaceflight thread

Excellent! I need to get caught up on the spaceflight thread.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nth Doctor posted:

What purpose does the spiral serve? At first glance, it looks like some sort of torsion spring mechanism that would only work one way.

I don't know if it serves a particular purpose at all; as far as I know the wheel is just a rigid structure. For all I know they picked that design purely because hey, it had to be shaped like something, and the spiral looked cool.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why we got so many space films these days

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The spiral wheels are engineered to be mild shock absorbers and also be lightweight and milled from a single block afaik.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

zandert33 posted:

I liked the plot, but Weir certainly would have benefitted from having an editor. The dialogue in particular is awful.

Fortunately the screenplay isn't being written by Weir, so I'm optimistic.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Strange Matter posted:

I don't know if I'm fully convinced that Matt Damon is the right guy to portray Watney's sense of humor, but I kind of don't care because The Martian owns incredibly hard. It's like Hatchet for adults and in space.

It'a also kind of hilarious that Matt Damon is the lead after his role in Interstellar.

Honestly this is probably for the best, Matt Damon is much funnier

And yeah I'm pretty sure you, me, and millions of other people had the exact same thought re: Interstellar

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Vegetable posted:

Space is cool bro.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Vegetable posted:

Space exploration is re-entering public consciousness. Likely because the shuttle finally loving died.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

As for Blade Runner 2, Scott's producing it. Denis Villeneuve is directing.

Holy poo poo. I loved Enemy. I'm pumped for this even more than I was just from hearing the phrase "Blade Runner sequel".

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Basebf555 posted:

Prometheus II has been confirmed to begin filming in January and Scott wants it released before Alien 5. :gizz:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

iJay posted:

The official trailer is fuckin awesome - too bad it's very spoilery. But I really the one-liners

This is like all trailers these days and it sucks.

I'm pretty hyped for the movie. I love Matt Damon but I'm not sure if he was the best choice. I think he's good enough to make it work though.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Immortan posted:

Prometheus II has been confirmed to begin filming in January and Scott wants it released before Alien 5. :gizz:

Oh wow, that's great news, Ridley Scott has been associated with so many ambitious upcoming films I didn't know what to think, the dude is certainly industrious.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ViggyNash posted:

This is like all trailers these days and it sucks.

I'm pretty hyped for the movie. I love Matt Damon but I'm not sure if he was the best choice. I think he's good enough to make it work though.

Trailers have been loaded with spoilers since trailers were thing.

I haven't read the book and the trailer does not seem spoiler-y to me at all. I think it's just people who have read the book are picking out glimpses of "big" or "important" scenes.

Periodiko posted:

Oh wow, that's great news, Ridley Scott has been associated with so many ambitious upcoming films I didn't know what to think, the dude is certainly industrious.

Yeah, the guy's been a workhorse since the beginning of the millennium.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Going from the vibe of the trailers, he grows lots of vegetables and doesn't marstubate at all.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

osietra posted:

Going from the vibe of the trailers, he grows lots of vegetables and doesn't marstubate at all.

theres prob very little room to store his vegetable smelling semen

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

LesterGroans posted:

Trailers have been loaded with spoilers since trailers were thing.

I haven't read the book and the trailer does not seem spoiler-y to me at all. I think it's just people who have read the book are picking out glimpses of "big" or "important" scenes.

Yeah, the guy's been a workhorse since the beginning of the millennium.

Fortunately they aren't spoilers if you haven't read the book, mainly because you have no context.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

osietra posted:

How do you think he grows the vegetables???

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is the best prerelease marketing ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fdKyszL1Zo

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is the best prerelease marketing ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fdKyszL1Zo

BLACK SCIENCE MAN!

:swoon:

But seriously, that is some genius marketing. I love that it's presented as a special segment on StarTalk.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'm a little annoyed at the casting of a a black man to play a character named Kapoor (because all minorities are the same!) and a white woman to play a character named Park (because we have enough minorities now).

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Wendell posted:

I'm a little annoyed at the casting of a a black man to play a character named Kapoor (because all minorities are the same!) and a white woman to play a character named Park (because we have enough minorities now).

This does suck, but it's not all terrible; they got Donald Glover as Rich Purnell, I cannot wait to see that. It will be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Wendell posted:

Someone's gotta look out for the struggling white actresses out there, it's just so hard for them to get roles in Hollywood movies!

Aside from the whitewashing issue though, I am looking forward to this. I have to wonder how much of the engineering aspects from the book will make it into the movie. Conveying Watney's thought process without heavy use of narration may be tough.

• Locked thread