Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There's a local place here that smokes fish and they get Pacific salmon, it's expensive as hell but worth every penny.

They also smoke Mullet and it's disgusting even smoked, I didn't think that was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mooseykins posted:

How is everyone else doing this Friday evening?

Eating pizza and watching a poo poo film. So, good. You?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

leica posted:

Just my opinion dude. I don't need to go to a C&C to look at cars I see every day, I like to see the exotics and other rare cars, the more the better.

Also if you're gagging on sushi it's bad sushi.
Well you're welcome to bring your miata to our c&c. You don't see them as often in buffalo. If everyone who went to a c&c picked one car they didn't want to show up there would be no one there.

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 21, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I keep looking at old Datsun's to buy. Here is what I know about Datsun's:

1. They changed their name to Nissan at some point
2. The Z cars tend to rust.

The urge to do something really stupid is getting stronger and stronger.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I cannot eat sushi. Its a texture thing.

I will eat rolls all loving day, but I can't do nigiri / sashimi because of this. The closest I can get is there's a local chain of conveyor-belt sushi restaurants that does a roll with crab meat, wrapped in salmon, and topped with avocado, which is loving delicious. Even then I prefer it at one location over the others because they make it smaller, so I'm not trying to wrangle a massive piece of uncooked salmon at once.

They also do tempura-battered jalapeno stuffed with crab and topped with spicy mayo / eel sauce. Could eat those all loving day and then die of a heart attack.

MustardFacial: Do not buy a 280ZX. Go older, go newer if you dare, but don't get a 280ZX.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

Same. Seafood in general gets to me.

It's just gross. I fail to believe anyone who tells me otherwise. If taste is 70% smell or something, then that poo poo must taste at least 70% as bad as it smells.

kastein posted:

I can eat sushi, I just don't really enjoy it, and it's expensive, so I'll leave it to those who like it.

It should be cheap, considering it's not even cooked.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

IOwnCalculus posted:

I will eat rolls all loving day, but I can't do nigiri / sashimi because of this. The closest I can get is there's a local chain of conveyor-belt sushi restaurants that does a roll with crab meat, wrapped in salmon, and topped with avocado, which is loving delicious. Even then I prefer it at one location over the others because they make it smaller, so I'm not trying to wrangle a massive piece of uncooked salmon at once.

They also do tempura-battered jalapeno stuffed with crab and topped with spicy mayo / eel sauce. Could eat those all loving day and then die of a heart attack.

God that sounds amazing. I did my first sushi-conveyor belt experience in my last trip to New York. I actually enjoyed it and now obsessed with finding more of those places - but they don't exist in the midwest.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

IOwnCalculus posted:

MustardFacial: Do not buy a 280ZX. Go older, go newer if you dare, but don't get a 280ZX.

I know the place you are talking about and I think it's pretty loving good. Not as good as the stuff in Japan, mind you, but close enough. I've taken my gf and her sons there, everyone liked it better than the other places they had been to before.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

MustardFacial posted:

I keep looking at old Datsun's to buy. Here is what I know about Datsun's:

1. They changed their name to Nissan at some point
2. The Z cars tend to rust.

The urge to do something really stupid is getting stronger and stronger.

Ha! Nissan didn't get their rustproofing right until the mid 90s. All old jap tin rusts like crazy.

Mooseykins posted:

It's just gross. I fail to believe anyone who tells me otherwise. If taste is 70% smell or something, then that poo poo must taste at least 70% as bad as it smells.

Don't you live on an island?
:v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

God that sounds amazing. I did my first sushi-conveyor belt experience in my last trip to New York. I actually enjoyed it and now obsessed with finding more of those places - but they don't exist in the midwest.

They're ok--the main problem is that they're generally poor about keeping things sanitary. Customers frequently place garbage/napkins/ect in the lids and they aren't washed nearly as often as they should be. Also, the fish can end up rotating around on the belt for quite some time before it's eaten by a customer so you can end up eating warm sushi which is A Bad Thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

Well you're welcome to bring your miata to our c&c. You don't see them as often in buffalo. If everyone who went to a c&c picked one car they didn't want to show up there would be no one there.

To be honest the area has a lot to do with it. Here there are tons of exotic owners around, so when 80% of the cars are exotics it's just weird when a bunch of dudes show up in ratty BMWs, especially when it's the McLaren dealer having it on their lot and they're putting all their cars out as well.

But I've lived in the Buffalo area and totally get it, you don't see a whole lot of nice cars around to begin with, so I would take what I could get up there.

GO BILLS

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

mafoose posted:

Don't you live on an island?
:v:

Yes, but thankfully we have other, delicious, meat sources like pigs, chickens and mad cows!

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Fish chat: One redeeming thing about podunk living is I can go down to the local fish house and get fresh (daily) caught fish in any flavor Lake Superior has to offer.

Or I can actually make an effort and go smelting in the spring or chase brookies in the summer. The smelt don't run like they used to, but there's still some prime Brook trout fishing.

Fresh caught pan fried brookies > any other seafood.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

Your mistake is letting British people cook your seafood. Tell them you can do more than just boil it or deep fry it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

driguy posted:

I know the place you are talking about and I think it's pretty loving good. Not as good as the stuff in Japan, mind you, but close enough. I've taken my gf and her sons there, everyone liked it better than the other places they had been to before.

Yeah, I've rarely pulled anything off of that belt that I haven't liked, and the price is right. I also love the fact that they actually portion it down to reasonable sizes, when every big sushi place here seems to want to only give you giant loving plates. It's usually just my wife and I (or one other) when we get sushi and we both would rather get a little bit of a bunch of rolls, instead of a lot of just two or three.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It's snowing outside.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

leica posted:

To be honest the area has a lot to do with it. Here there are tons of exotic owners around, so when 80% of the cars are exotics it's just weird when a bunch of dudes show up in ratty BMWs, especially when it's the McLaren dealer having it on their lot and they're putting all their cars out as well.

But I've lived in the Buffalo area and totally get it, you don't see a whole lot of nice cars around to begin with, so I would take what I could get up there.

GO BILLS
Thats fair. I was genuinely surprised with what I saw. Cars that had no right being anywhere near buffalo but there was still no more than 200 people. Not like I made some lamborghini park on the grass because my dirty mustang showed up.

edit: I post more aggressively when I am at work. I should work on that.

Cage fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 21, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Your mistake is letting British people cook your seafood. Tell them you can do more than just boil it or deep fry it.

I'm afraid this is not a risk i'm willing to take. I've gone 26 years without eating that poo poo, ain't gonna change now.

But yeah, a fair bit of it here is battered and deep fried, which is even more rank than just cooking it by other means. I'd be hosed if i got stuck on a desert island and the only food would be fish if i caught it. I'd just (willingly) starve and die.

We do have some good food here though!

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 21, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

MrChips posted:

It's snowing outside.

:getout: and make a snow angel

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mooseykins posted:

Wait, you've never actually tried it?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Astonishing Wang posted:

:getout: and make a snow angel

It's snow mixed with rain, so all that would do is get me all wet. :saddowns:

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Mooseykins posted:

How is everyone else doing this Friday evening?

Pizza, beer and now a cigar. Might try and have a drunken snog with the wife once the food settles.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

What gets most people about sushi, in my experience, is the rice. It does have a flavor that takes getting used to, and I still don't think it's a very complimentary flavor to fish.

Sashimi, on the other hand, all day e'rry day.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Love the conveyor sushi places, but it's way too easy for me to rack up 30 bucks of sushi on my own.

Question: If someone says, "Hey, we're going to eat at [place], wanna tag along?" Do you expect them to pay?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yeah I am not interested in eating sea bugs at all. I have eaten a lot of different things, horse even at a Tongan function. Seafood has just been given a permanent no thanks from me.

Why do I have a sudden urge to buy a hot full-frame camera and expensive glass in front if it? I just want all the prime lenses. I am sure that my T5i and 50mm lens are holding me back because I am some sort of great master. I just know that it will be limiting to me eventually. Plus being able to be closer to a subject with a full frame camera would be nice. If we didn't just spend tens of thousands of dollars finishing our basement I would probably try and justify a new 5DS or something.

I shoot with a T2i and honestly haven't felt like i'm being held back by not having a full frame :v:

I need an autotracking mount and a wide angle lens and I think i'll be set.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

QuarkMartial posted:

Question: If someone says, "Hey, we're going to eat at [place], wanna tag along?" Do you expect them to pay?

I'd expect to go dutch, unless they specified that it was their treat or something.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Mistakes were made. Others will be blamed.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I can't find a C&C in my local area :(

Perimeter Mall on the first Sunday of the month. Some seriously nice stuff out there.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Mooseykins posted:

You live in the UK. Your idea of good food is boiled meat and a deep fried can of Stella.

mafoose posted:

Ha! Nissan didn't get their rustproofing right until the mid 90s. All old jap tin rusts like crazy.
Yeah, and from a cursory glance it looks like replacement parts are few and far between. But I want one so bad.

MrChips posted:

It's snowing outside.

Haha Alberta. Wait 10 minutes it'll be sunny again.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why not? What's wrong with a 280Z?

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 22, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm going to install a back-up alarm in everything i own.

It has the same effect as honking the horn to get people to move out of the way, but doesn't piss them off or make you look like an rear end in a top hat. If you honk the horn at people standing behind you in the parking lot, you look like an impatient jerk. Put it in reverse and it starts beeping, that's a safety feature, you're being safe and they move out of the way without even really thinking about it.

MrChips posted:

It's snowing outside.

frost advisories being issued now, as well.

Pack it up, it's all over. you wasted your summer.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 22, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Congrats. Time to consider trading the Focus for a Corvette, then doing nothing but parking it in the Corvette-only row at Pavilions and waxing it with a baby diaper.

If I could afford a Corvette, I'd actually consider owning one, they are a pretty awesome car to drive in anger on an autocross course or the track.'

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Why do I have a sudden urge to buy a hot full-frame camera and expensive glass in front if it? I just want all the prime lenses. I am sure that my T5i and 50mm lens are holding me back because I am some sort of great master. I just know that it will be limiting to me eventually. Plus being able to be closer to a subject with a full frame camera would be nice. If we didn't just spend tens of thousands of dollars finishing our basement I would probably try and justify a new 5DS or something.

I'm kind of the same way, I'm constantly talking myself out of buying a 105mm Nikon macro lens for taking pictures of my model boat project, when the kit lenses are taking perfectly good pictures of it already. That lens costs more than the complete body with 2 lens kit, flash, remote, spare battery and tripod that I already have.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I've rarely pulled anything off of that belt that I haven't liked, and the price is right. I also love the fact that they actually portion it down to reasonable sizes, when every big sushi place here seems to want to only give you giant loving plates. It's usually just my wife and I (or one other) when we get sushi and we both would rather get a little bit of a bunch of rolls, instead of a lot of just two or three.

Have you tried the happy hour menu at Kibuki? I'm not really a sushi guy, but I meet a friend there every so often and they get lots of little dishes off the happy hour menu and seem to really love it. No idea if that's the sort of thing you want though.

QuarkMartial posted:

Not unless they add the words "I'm buying" to the end of that sentence.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MrChips posted:

It's snowing outside.

Kinda figured it would, that was some cold-rear end rain. Didn't get any down south (off Glenmore/84th) though.

Powershift posted:

I'm going to install a back-up alarm in everything i own.

Having lived with one on a company vehicle I frequently took home, they're wonderful for the reasons you listed but don't get the super loud Chinese ones unless you hate your neighbors.

Also loving sushichat, now I'm craving it and I can't really afford it (well good sushi anyway, and crappy sushi just isn't worth it).

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 22, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MrChips posted:

It's snowing outside.

It's 105 degrees outside. At 6:35pm.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Rivals did better than I thought they would in snow.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The Locator posted:

I'm kind of the same way, I'm constantly talking myself out of buying a 105mm Nikon macro lens for taking pictures of my model boat project, when the kit lenses are taking perfectly good pictures of it already. That lens costs more than the complete body with 2 lens kit, flash, remote, spare battery and tripod that I already have.

Have you looked into extension tubes? I've got a set for my T2i and with the 18 - 55mm kit lens, they let you do some crazy macro stuff:

They're also super cheap, all things considered. Mine ran me about $60, I think? Still retain autofocus ability as well, though when doing macro I usually stick with manual because extension tubes make your focal range super narrow.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 22, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

T1g4h posted:

Have you looked into extension tubes? I've got a set for my T2i and with the 18 - 55mm kit lens, they let you do some crazy macro stuff:

They're also super cheap, all things considered. Mine ran me about $60, I think? Still retain autofocus ability as well, though when doing macro I usually stick with manual because extension tubes make your focal range super narrow.

I really haven't, although maybe I should (I did not know that the AF and metering still worked with stuff like that). I think my problem is that I really like buying new toys!

The kit lens really does take fantastic pictures (or at least fantastic enough) for the kind of stuff I'm doing:

It's more about always wanting to get the bigger better 'thing' I think.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 22, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

280Z is fine. 280ZX makes less power, weighs more, has an overly complex interior, has an awful fuel injection setup, and an awful ignition setup. Both are unreliable and lovely even when working.

If you wanted to gut the whole loving thing it might be better but at that point you could do the same to a 280Z and still have a better car.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The Locator posted:

I really haven't, although maybe I should (I did not know that the AF and metering still worked with stuff like that). I think my problem is that I really like buying new toys!

The kit lens really does take fantastic pictures (or at least fantastic enough) for the kind of stuff I'm doing:

It's more about always wanting to get the bigger better 'thing' I think.

You have to spend a bit more to get tubes with sensor contacts for the AF stuff, but like I said, mine ran me somewhere around $60 and they maintain full functionality.

And hey! I (think) I recognize those model ship photos from the Scale Modelling thread! That's one of the kits where you have to cut and hand lay all the planking, right?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Pham Nuwen posted:

The camera body is probably not holding you back, but on a crop-frame camera a 35mm prime will be closer to the "nifty-fifty" feel, if that makes sense... That is, where you'd use a 50mm on a regular full-frame film SLR, on a crop frame DSLR you should use 35mm.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check into one and it makes sense how it would be more like a proper fifty.

Good to know others are on a similar level. I spent some time lurking the dorkroom the other day and there are some really talented folks. I'd like to get to a level that I would feel comfortable sharing some stuff and looked more like I knew what I was doing. I picked up my camera last year after my son was born and being dissatisfied with the status quo iPhone pics for everything. I've had flashes of brilliance here and there but not quite to the level I want yet. I need to get a quality photo editing software and figure that out too. I might go for Lightroom since I have the iMac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MustardFacial posted:

This is a 280Z:

Same S30 body as the 240Z/260Z with a bigger engine. Classic, lightweight, plenty of power, good.

This is a 280ZX

Same engine as the 280Z in a bigger, fatter, heavier body. Also not sexy. Avoid.

• Locked thread