Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SugarAddict posted:

OMP Sigma But I highly suggest you remove a bunch of useless mods from it and update others if you plan on playing solo.

Mods I recommend removing

Headcrumbs
Morph
Zelda Sword Skills
Darkness mod something (makes darkness really really dark)
Hats

and a few others I can't remember.

The gently caress is wrong with Hats? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
How's Hack Slash Mine? I'm considering playing it while I try to get my friends to do Blightfall with me so I'm not all crusty and burnt out wrt Blightfall when we get rolling again

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Magres posted:

How's Hack Slash Mine? I'm considering playing it while I try to get my friends to do Blightfall with me so I'm not all crusty and burnt out wrt Blightfall when we get rolling again

Given that it's still listed on Technic as running on 1.2, this should be informative enough.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It also cannot run on java 1.8, so be sure to set it to something older in launcher options -> java settings tab.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
minecraftmodding.txt:

quote:

I was mucking with a crafting station from Better Storage, it blew up after I clicked the inventory settings button creating a 10-15 block radius hole in my base, some text came up saying 'Happy Belated April Fools' or some crap like that. It took out my AE2 storage, lost pretty much everything from 6 months of resource collection, my CPU, most of my Capacitor bank and the top of a big Reactor. I was forced to reload a backup and lost the best part of an hours gameplay. I'm just lucky I wasn't doing a major build and had a recent backup. NOT funny at all! So Byebye BetterStorage. You won't pull that poo poo on me again.

It looks like Better Storage's terrible April's Fools joke shows a button on the crafting station that sends an event to the station, and in a bit of author laziness the station reacts to any event sent to it the same way even if it was from another mod's button.

The hilarious joke is supposed to be that the explosion that happens is only client side so nothing bad will actually happen. I'm guessing they forgot to test what happens if you're not on a server or something.

It was previously reported in May and this is the author's reaction:

quote:

Hahaha! I didn't know inventory tweaks buttons sent events to the current container when clicked. That's hilarious.
And then insistence that it's up to Inventory Tweaks to fix it.

Since the mod is open source you can look at the bug not being fixed right here

Blightfall dudes, you might want to remove the crafting station's recipe in case anyone's dumb enough to use it.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Haha Better Storage is so terrible

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think I'm starting to cool on Blightfall. Can anyone recommend a modpack with a magic/adventure focus? Ideally I'm looking for something with Ars Magica and Thaumcraft.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702213

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Thyrork posted:

You missed the bit were multiple crashes of thunder would sound in about a 3 second timeframe.

Also just so its said, I've been pretty religiously feeding talonos the various bugs reported here (and on the server im on) so keep 'em coming.

Additionally, moss balls are been looked into, they are alittle bit hard to get after all!

Moss balls? It's probably fine to make them hard to get. Personally I haven't used them at all. I have one pick for general digging that has an easy to repair material, and another pick for hard ore collection that has yet to even hit half durability.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Moss balls are pretty drat important for shurikens and crossbow bolts. Thankfully later materials start giving good numbers of shurikens but bolts are always a bit short in my opinion, with moss balls they are basically infinite unless you get into a huge battle.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

OMP Sigma But I highly suggest you remove a bunch of useless mods from it and update others if you plan on playing solo.

Headcrumbs
Morph
Zelda Sword Skills
Darkness mod something (makes darkness really really dark)
Hats

and a few others I can't remember.

As with i or TFR, best be waiting. A new Sigma version is in the works.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Light Gun Man posted:

Moss balls are pretty drat important for shurikens and crossbow bolts. Thankfully later materials start giving good numbers of shurikens but bolts are always a bit short in my opinion, with moss balls they are basically infinite unless you get into a huge battle.

This is the truth. I made some with the best materials I could get, and ended up with a stack of a little more than 60 of the damned things. I ended up sticking a diamond and an emerald on it just so that I could have a decent stack size. This has cut into the amount of quartz I could stuff on it too. The mossballs are a lifesaver though as I just have to let them recharge for a few minutes between fights. With both a diamond, and an emerald I have 106 bolts. Mind you, you can pretty easily get into some drat big battles if you don't pay attention to what is going on around you... I was down to around 15 bolts during one of my longer jaunts around the world... Thankfully once I got back, I was able to just do base maintenance instead of worrying about killing poo poo... (Except sheep... fuckers keep restarting the taint around my base...)

-Edit- By the by, is anyone else having problems with their dawn machines mounted to an airship crashing their games? Because I have that problem. One has power feeding into it, and the other does not, but both cause crashes when I try to move them after the update.

Zebrin fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 22, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Zebrin posted:

This is the truth. I made some with the best materials I could get, and ended up with a stack of a little more than 60 of the damned things. I ended up sticking a diamond and an emerald on it just so that I could have a decent stack size. This has cut into the amount of quartz I could stuff on it too. The mossballs are a lifesaver though as I just have to let them recharge for a few minutes between fights. With both a diamond, and an emerald I have 106 bolts. Mind you, you can pretty easily get into some drat big battles if you don't pay attention to what is going on around you... I was down to around 15 bolts during one of my longer jaunts around the world... Thankfully once I got back, I was able to just do base maintenance instead of worrying about killing poo poo... (Except sheep... fuckers keep restarting the taint around my base...)

Because resources are just so drat rare in Blightfall, what I did is I rushed to getting a mob drop grinder (for vis and mob drops, mostly gunpoweder for bullets) However that never worked because I only got the occasional mob once in a blue moon in it and the tainted mobs are taking up all the mob counts Even after I purified the surrounding land in a 9 chunk radius. After that failed venture I cleaned the second swamp island, made myself a greatwood staff for capturing a node, grabbed one, energized it using the nitor from the marble shrine, then made myself 4 greatwood wands and a shock focus and purity focus.

I don't think I ever bothered using anything else for general damage except when I got an osmotic enchanter for enchanting everything, then I got a thaumium sword and a cursed spirit sword for killing things. I've never really used anything else other than a shock focus for killing things because when having an energized node and 4 wands: Vis is cheap and a shock focus with chain lighting is very VERY nice. Mostly because you can say "I don't have to put up with your poo poo" and kill 5+ mobs in under 10 seconds at range with no/little effort.

The one time I didn't make something competely out of wood was when I had to upgrade a fuse wood pickaxe so I could mine diamonds and tech ores and such.

Get a focus of equal trade with silk touch and an excavation focus with treasure 3, mine everything

After that the only tinker tools I touched were the lumber axe, for chopping wood, and the pickaxe for occasionally break and placing the vis relays when they broke.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 22, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

SugarAddict posted:

Morph

Isn't Morph the one that lets you transform into mobs you kill? That's an amazing mod and you should never remove it. Or is it one of those edge cases where Morph is another mod and the Morph thing is named differently?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Imho the easiest way to start TC research is looking at this page
http://ftbwiki.org/List_of_Aspects_(Thaumcraft_4.2)#Tier_8
and making one of every Aspect.

Obviously you need to scan a bunch of stuff first before you can really start.

The expert research research or whichever it was on the Main page of the Thaumonomicon let's you see the combinations of the aspects in the research table.
After that it's like other posters said; Break stuff down to Primal Aspects or common stuff you have a lot of points of and just chain everything together as cheaply as possible.

So; Water + Earth
Air + Perditio
Fire + Air
Fire + Ordo
Fire + Perditio
Air + Ordo
Earth + Ordo
Ordo + Perditio

for example, are some nice ones that you can use for a lot of things.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Isn't Morph the one that lets you transform into mobs you kill? That's an amazing mod and you should never remove it. Or is it one of those edge cases where Morph is another mod and the Morph thing is named differently?

He's probably cryin bout his Balance.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Getting really going in Garden of Glass is proving harder than I expected it to. I'm still stuck going back and forth between mob spawner and farm, growing trees for charcoal to get mana with, and it's never enough charcoal

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Getting really going in Garden of Glass is proving harder than I expected it to. I'm still stuck going back and forth between mob spawner and farm, growing trees for charcoal to get mana with, and it's never enough charcoal

Make an orechid like yesterday. It will grunt out immense amounts of coal once you automate it. (You can make a cobblegen output smoothstone by making the lava fall vertically onto flowing water.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also the new (?) thing in blightfall where you can hit 0 to get a list of all the nodes you've ever scanned is the best. Or, would have been the best before I got CV running :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

Make an orechid like yesterday. It will grunt out immense amounts of coal once you automate it. (You can make a cobblegen output smoothstone by making the lava fall vertically onto flowing water.)

Oh sure, I made that and got to mana tools. I just don't have the mana to spare to do much else yet, seemingly, so I'm just grinding away.

I guess my next goal is to get to the nether, for lava if nothing else.

(edit) Oh yeah, Rosa Arcana. Keep forgetting that. That'll help, with 33 levels so far :v:

(edit again) I thought I read somewhere you could bucket water back out of a petal apothecary, even if it was filled with a bowl, getting you infinite water before Rod of the Seas. Doesn't seem to work anymore though :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 22, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Made a multimc profile for garden of glass for anyone interested https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ZNxIStvDyrMDYzd0dlaGVFb1E/view?usp=sharing

And a AHK borderless window thing https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ZNxIStvDyreWV0aVczUjZYNTQ/view?usp=sharing (bound to F12 by default)

Syenite fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 22, 2015

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

Ciaphas posted:

(edit again) I thought I read somewhere you could bucket water back out of a petal apothecary, even if it was filled with a bowl, getting you infinite water before Rod of the Seas. Doesn't seem to work anymore though :(

"Fixed being able to remove water from the Petal Apothecary with a bucket in GoG, allowing for water to be acquired a lot earlier."
Yeah that got fixed in 209 of Botania.

Edit: As of 211 "Added the Rod of the Shifting Crust, effectively a copy of the Thaumcraft Wand of Equal trade with a few new things added on."
Holy poo poo that's rad, I don't normally play with Thaumcraft so my only other option was the incomplete Ender Tech which added an Exchanger that used RF, now I can rip that right out and never have to look at it's insane crafting recipes again!

Double Edit: As of 209 "Added the Slime in a Bottle, effectively a slime chunk detector" Man That's another nail in the coffin for Open Blocks for me. I think the only thing it has going for me now is the XP shower/grate which plays nice when you need quick and easy mob essence for MFR.

TyreForHyre fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 22, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

TyreForHyre posted:

Edit: As of 211 "Added the Rod of the Shifting Crust, effectively a copy of the Thaumcraft Wand of Equal trade with a few new things added on."

FINALLY. Good lord TC had a monopoly on that for far too long.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Anyone tried out the other enhanced attack foci? Like the ice boulder or the fire beam?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Uploaded a garden of glass pack to the platform as the "official" one is kinda outdated and meh. http://technicpack.net/modpack/pasture-of-glass.720180

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ambaire posted:

StealthArcher posted:

He's probably cryin bout his Balance.

I get sick of having to transform back into a Steve? after I kill something and I get transformed, or I kill something for the first time and it drops nothing, and with some mods like Ars Magica and some of the other mods in there add their own mobs the list grows very quickly (50+ at least for Ars Magica). a bunch of those mobs can't go though doors or 2 block high rooms, and this is annoying when you are being chased by giant mutant zombies or whatever happens to be attacking you at the time.

There's nothing wrong with hats, just when playing singe player I am trying to cut down on some mods because holyshitthatsalot and my 8 gigs of ram isn't enough anymore for some modpacks.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 22, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Threep posted:

minecraftmodding.txt:

It looks like Better Storage's terrible April's Fools joke shows a button on the crafting station that sends an event to the station, and in a bit of author laziness the station reacts to any event sent to it the same way even if it was from another mod's button.

The hilarious joke is supposed to be that the explosion that happens is only client side so nothing bad will actually happen. I'm guessing they forgot to test what happens if you're not on a server or something.

It was previously reported in May and this is the author's reaction:

And then insistence that it's up to Inventory Tweaks to fix it.

Since the mod is open source you can look at the bug not being fixed right here

Blightfall dudes, you might want to remove the crafting station's recipe in case anyone's dumb enough to use it.

Better Storage is really just an awful mod in general, most of the things it adds suck and crafting all of them is a pain. It's basically a really lovely version of ironchests/random barrel mod mixed together. The idea of multiblock storage is really cool but its implementation of it is about the worst possible way it could be done that I could imagine, it's so bad that even considering doing storage that way is stupid.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Shukaro posted:

Uploaded a garden of glass pack to the platform as the "official" one is kinda outdated and meh. http://technicpack.net/modpack/pasture-of-glass.720180

Why thank you! :3:

Error downloading pack. :smith:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 22, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SugarAddict posted:

I get sick of having to transform back into a Steve? after I kill something and I get transformed, or I kill something for the first time and it drops nothing, and with some mods like Ars Magica and some of the other mods in there add their own mobs the list grows very quickly (50+ at least for Ars Magica). a bunch of those mobs can't go though doors or 2 block high rooms, and this is annoying when you are being chased by giant mutant zombies or whatever happens to be attacking you at the time.

In omp sigma you do not automatically transform when you kill something.

Taffer posted:

Better Storage is really just an awful mod in general, most of the things it adds suck and crafting all of them is a pain. It's basically a really lovely version of ironchests/random barrel mod mixed together. The idea of multiblock storage is really cool but its implementation of it is about the worst possible way it could be done that I could imagine, it's so bad that even considering doing storage that way is stupid.

Someone else making a mod with just the storage lockers, or the backpack that is placeable in world and can be worn without taking off armor would be nice. The huge cubes are poo poo.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 22, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

In omp sigma you do not automatically transform when you kill something.

It's been at least 6 months since I've started up the pack.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Anyone tried out the other enhanced attack foci? Like the ice boulder or the fire beam?

I've not used the ice one but I nabbed a fire one off of some tainted magician. It had the boulder enchant on it so it shoots a projectile instead of a fire beam. It was marginally useful for sniping those loving tainted snipers, but it didn't do a whole lot of damage.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Thyrork posted:

Why thank you! :3:

Error downloading pack. :smith:

Fixed!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I love Goons, that's so nice of you! :shobon:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Minor blightfall suggestion: Ignis nodes are disproportionately rare. Can you add a few? Good spot would be the meteor sites, kinda appropriate.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I don't know for certain, but there should be a bunch of them up near the Volcano and in the Desert. Worldgen nodes generally take values based on their surroundings, in my experience. Like if you're out on the ocean basically everything will have aqua in it, Deserts have a lot of Ignis, Forests have a lot of Aer and Terra, swamps and other 'decaying' ish biomes have lots of Perditio, and I don't really know what type of terrain has Ordo, though I think Deserts might because Sand is about the only block in the wild that's remotely associated with Ordo, other than Magical Forest stuff.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really need some loving diamonds. Also more certus crystals, what are the best places for them? Should I just check out more of the drat caches? The pickaxe of the core is amazing but it's only showing me tech ores, not diamonds. I'm trying to get my storage network up but it's my first time with it so I'm just plodding along slowly. What's the pre-requisite tech for vis storage cells? I thought it would be a regular storage cell but I didn't get it from the 4k cell.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.
Old and busted:

New Hotness:

I love Mine/ModTweaker so much. :3:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I really need some loving diamonds. Also more certus crystals, what are the best places for them? Should I just check out more of the drat caches? The pickaxe of the core is amazing but it's only showing me tech ores, not diamonds. I'm trying to get my storage network up but it's my first time with it so I'm just plodding along slowly. What's the pre-requisite tech for vis storage cells? I thought it would be a regular storage cell but I didn't get it from the 4k cell.

The desert is loaded with certus quartz, go there. Diamonds are everywhere at vanilla quantities, so just go to y11 and dig with a hammer and you should find a few eventually. Remember to put lapis on your tools.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Garden of Glass again, how do I get my nether portal lit up? I can't make flint without an alchemy catalyst, and that needs blaze rods, which needs actual blazes from the actual nether, near as I can tell.

(edit) Am I gonna have to spawn another blaze and hope like hell he sets the portal on fire? :effort:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Magres posted:

and I don't really know what type of terrain has Ordo,

snow, because snow + ice is crystalline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Enderium makes the best swords. FYI. 14 base damage. You should definitely put moss on it though since Enderium has a sneaky hidden Stonebound modifier.