Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Holy poo poo, are the intel graphics drivers for windows 10 garbage or something? Upgraded a machine at work to start testing out some apps and get a bluescreen (frownetowne) every 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Cheesus posted:

The biggest WTF was when I established my account using my Microsoft login account. Its formatted like "cheesus-ms@cheesusdomain.com" and the user directory it created was the first four letters "chee". I figured it was going to sufficiently annoy me so I re-installed with a local account then tied my ms account it it.

This bothered me to no end so I switched around the accounts doing a bit of regedit hackery and some renaming through one of the user gui options. I followed the basic instructions found here and they worked: http://superuser.com/questions/890812/how-to-rename-the-user-folder-in-windows-10?answertab=active#tab-top

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cheesus posted:

The biggest WTF was when I established my account using my Microsoft login account. Its formatted like "cheesus-ms@cheesusdomain.com" and the user directory it created was the first four letters "chee". I figured it was going to sufficiently annoy me so I re-installed with a local account then tied my ms account it it.

That issue goes far back as Win8 (though not as specific.) After my first install of Win8 and experiencing that issue (it making a dumb user folder), I've always set up as a local account and then linked to MSFT account after the directory is made.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Alehkhs posted:

So, I've been debating linking my local account to my Microsoft account (which I have from Xbox Live), especially now that I have two machines - my desktop and an Asus T100 - running Win10.

What's the thread's thoughts on this? Benefits? Cons?
In my opinion, the benefits are really strong with accounts linked between machines are pretty great.

My other machine is my Lumia 640. After logging into Win10, it synced all of the phone's Wifi information and browser (IE to Edge) url history to the Win 10 machine.

ILikeVoltron posted:

This bothered me to no end so I switched around the accounts doing a bit of regedit hackery and some renaming through one of the user gui options. I followed the basic instructions found here and they worked: http://superuser.com/questions/890812/how-to-rename-the-user-folder-in-windows-10?answertab=active#tab-top
I looked into that too, but I was doing a clean install and was early enough into my overall install/transition that it wasn't a huge deal to just re-install.

Very strange that it's still a bug.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I got a free license key for the Education edition through my college's student discount shop and I'm still not entirely sure what the advantages will be over the Pro version I'd get if I just did the upgrade. (Other than obviously having an actual license key and not getting hosed if I ever decide to overhaul my PC in the future.)
Looking at this comparison, it's apparently just Enterprise, but without the option to completely control Windows Updates?

What the gently caress does 'Granular UX Control' even mean? Or Credential/Device Guard? gently caress, what the hell are Windows To Go Creator, BranchCache and AppLocker?

It's not like I'm gonna upgrade before they fix the weird broken poo poo going on right now. I'm fine with Windows 7 for the time being.
By the way, I don't know what y'all are talking about with being forced to update. After reserving my copy I just completely ignored the GWX app and eventually hid the Upgrade to Windows 10 entry from Windows Update once it started showing the button to start the upgrade in there. Hasn't bothered me since, nor has it tried to nag other accounts on the computer to upgrade.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Geemer posted:

By the way, I don't know what y'all are talking about with being forced to update. After reserving my copy I just completely ignored the GWX app and eventually hid the Upgrade to Windows 10 entry from Windows Update once it started showing the button to start the upgrade in there. Hasn't bothered me since, nor has it tried to nag other accounts on the computer to upgrade.

If you reserve your free copy of Windows 10 through the GWX app it'll automatically install Windows 10 through Windows Update when Microsoft deems it fit. The act of reserving is consenting to this. This isn't communicated very well so people feel like it's "forced", particularly if you reserved it ahead of time just to be sure you didn't miss out.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

If you reserve your free copy of Windows 10 through the GWX app it'll automatically install Windows 10 through Windows Update when Microsoft deems it fit. The act of reserving is consenting to this. This isn't communicated very well so people feel like it's "forced", particularly if you reserved it ahead of time just to be sure you didn't miss out.

That's what I did. But then when the GWX app popped up, telling me it was time to install Windows 10, I just X'd out of it and then hid the update in Windows Update. Haven't been bothered since, which was at least a week and a half ago.

E: Maybe it's because I just closed the GWX thing instead of clicking the button to start scheduling the upgrade or something?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had a Radeon on Win8.1, did the in-place upgrade to Win10, then switched to a GeForce. For some reason, Win10 is still complaining about being unable to update some Radeon drivers, even though I've run the clean uninstall utility: http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/16748/

And no, I don't have any Radeon software/drivers listed in Apps & features.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Maneki Neko posted:

Holy poo poo, are the intel graphics drivers for windows 10 garbage or something? Upgraded a machine at work to start testing out some apps and get a bluescreen (frownetowne) every 5 minutes.

Graphics drivers seem to be a shitshow on 10 in general. I reverted my MS Surface Pro 3 to 8.1 because the graphics driver for 10 (on MS's flagship tablet!) was broken and made my video card overheat until videos turned to rainbows.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Geemer posted:

I got a free license key for the Education edition through my college's student discount shop and I'm still not entirely sure what the advantages will be over the Pro version I'd get if I just did the upgrade. (Other than obviously having an actual license key and not getting hosed if I ever decide to overhaul my PC in the future.)
Looking at this comparison, it's apparently just Enterprise, but without the option to completely control Windows Updates?

What the gently caress does 'Granular UX Control' even mean? Or Credential/Device Guard? gently caress, what the hell are Windows To Go Creator, BranchCache and AppLocker?

It's not like I'm gonna upgrade before they fix the weird broken poo poo going on right now. I'm fine with Windows 7 for the time being.

The Education edition is functionally the same as Enterprise. The only real advantage for individuals I see is AppLocker, which allows you to set policies that say which applications are allowed to run or blocked from running. For instance, you can say that no applications should run from users' profiles, which would limit them to running applications that you installed. Later on, they're going to add Device Guard, which prevents applications you don't trust based on their certificates from running. It will use a hypervisor so that if malware does get control of the kernel, it will get erased after a restart. Windows To Go might be useful in edge scenarios; it lets you install Windows on removable media. Other than that, all the extra features are useful for businesses only.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Graphics drivers seem to be a shitshow on 10 in general. I reverted my MS Surface Pro 3 to 8.1 because the graphics driver for 10 (on MS's flagship tablet!) was broken and made my video card overheat until videos turned to rainbows.

My desktop with ATI seems to be fine, but Nvidia/Intel seem to be terrible. Best I can find on the internet is "lol try rolling back to old rear end windows 8 drivers until one works"

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I have no problems with nvidia but my switchable (Intel) graphics won't work with my monitor. But my monitor is also janky and has broken EDID so I'm not surprised

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
My video drivers work fine on my desktop (GTX 660) and my laptop (Intel HD Graphics second gen). v:shobon:v

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/microsoft-has-no-plans-to-tell-us-whats-in-windows-patches/

Looks like we won't be knowing what's in Win10 patches anytime soon.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

My video drivers work fine on my desktop (GTX 660) and my laptop (Intel HD Graphics second gen). v:shobon:v

Hrmm, this laptop I'm testing has the combo Intel HD 4400 & 720M, which seem to be a shitshow, and the Dell BIOS is godawful and doesn't give any options for changing Intel memory sizes or setting priority on graphics processors, which seem to be workarounds I'm finding:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3g9lvi/bsod_video_tdr_failure_igdkmd64sys/

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 21, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Nvidia Optimus has been a shitshow for as long as I can remember. Nice to see windows 10 hasn't changed that :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Nvidia Optimus was the bane of my existence on my netbook. I don't know if it works in linux or whatever. I could never get an nvidia driver to install. I just use it as a media server now. Whoever thought up Optimus should be shot.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
fwiw Optimus has worked great for me with my 675m/Intel 4000

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I have never seen a situation or use case where optimus works well or at all. I've heard of nothing but problems and honestly it seems like it'd make more sense to design gpus to scale clock speed and power consumption like we do with cpus

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Optimus works just fine on my Y50 with a 960m. Never had any problems with it whatsoever. Haven't tested it in Windows 10 though.

I have never seen a situation or use case where optimus works well or at all. I've heard of nothing but problems and honestly it seems like it'd make more sense to design gpus to scale clock speed and power consumption like we do with cpus

We do for desktop GPUs at least.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

dpbjinc posted:

The Education edition is functionally the same as Enterprise. The only real advantage for individuals I see is AppLocker, which allows you to set policies that say which applications are allowed to run or blocked from running. For instance, you can say that no applications should run from users' profiles, which would limit them to running applications that you installed. Later on, they're going to add Device Guard, which prevents applications you don't trust based on their certificates from running. It will use a hypervisor so that if malware does get control of the kernel, it will get erased after a restart. Windows To Go might be useful in edge scenarios; it lets you install Windows on removable media. Other than that, all the extra features are useful for businesses only.

Thanks for the rundown. Installing on a removable media sounds pretty useful for rescue operations, but I can see why they wouldn't include it with Pro. People would just run the live version as a real OS to avoid paying. Now is at least a bit of a hassle to get the USB image.

Works pretty well on my Acer notebook, but then again, I'm probably five driver releases behind on that. And still on Windows 7.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Geemer posted:

Works pretty well on my Acer notebook, but then again, I'm probably five driver releases behind on that. And still on Windows 7.

Well my advice is don't upgrade! (drivers or windows)

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Merv Burger posted:

I've used NextPVR before and been fine with it.

Kodi (formerly XBMC,) may also work, but it likely overkill if you need software to only watch TV off the tuner card.

Thanks, but NextPVR didn't seem to like my system. I tried Googling, and found some answers to problems, only to run into other problems.

I tried Easy HDTV, and it installed and worked effortlessly - but it's shareware. Being about the same cost as Hauppauge's software, I bit the bullet and ordered their (Hauppauge's) software.

Repo Man fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 21, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
FYI, if your Windows Store gets stuck and errors out with "Our server stumbled" (or some poo poo) on and on, it's probably because some updates have been queued up and Windows didn't get around installing them yet. But instead of telling you something specific, it's the usual Microsoft manner and you get served with a lovely HRESULT instead of a cleartext clue.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Optimus is working fine for me without any problems now and it worked fine on 8.1 as well. I'm using Lemovo's drivers rather than Nvidia's, but it hasn't given me any reason to change that.

Combat Pretzel posted:

FYI, if your Windows Store gets stuck and errors out with "Our server stumbled" (or some poo poo) on and on, it's probably because some updates have been queued up and Windows didn't get around installing them yet. But instead of telling you something specific, it's the usual Microsoft manner and you get served with a lovely HRESULT instead of a cleartext clue.

Good to know. So far the first and only thing I tried installing from the Store gave me a "Well this is embarrassing!" error without any context or explanation.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Optimus works fine for some people? I have to manually set every third game to run on proper GPU instead of integrated one with that super slow Nvidia control panel. (how can it be so slow?)

Sininu fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 21, 2015

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Well, tried the upgrade to Educational edition and its been one big pain in the rear end. Installing went fine, but Trying to install video drivers broke the first installation. Second install went again fine, but rebooting caused a black screen after the windows logo. Shutting down the pc and booting up cold seems to give less issues. But now I'm suddenly getting bad system configure info errors after a failed reboot after updates. Kinda done with it after four reinstalls, so back to W7 tomorrow.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
welp contacted Microsoft and theyre sending another SP3 to replace this brand new one that updates borked the WiFi on

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SinineSiil posted:

Optimus works fine for some people? I have to manually set every third game to run on proper GPU instead of integrated one with that super slow Nvidia control panel. (how can it be so slow?)

Mine is pretty good at auto-selecting the core for certain applications. I think the only exception was Age of Empires II HD. As for the control panel itself... yeah, it does need a bit of work. Mine opens pretty quickly but I have a SSD and also don't keep a huge library of games installed at once.

The one game Optimus seems to poo poo itself over for me is TrackMania United Forever. Can't get the game looking good worth a drat because it thinks I only have like 48MB of video memory.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

go3 posted:

welp contacted Microsoft and theyre sending another SP3 to replace this brand new one that updates borked the WiFi on

I've used a bunch of Pro 1's 2's and now 3's and they ALL had loving stupid glitches from wifi to charging to the keyboards not working. Highly unimpressed.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So my computer just decided to just loving freeze every 5 minutes after logging in and I dont know what can be causing it but a safe bet is windows 10

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So my computer just decided to just loving freeze every 5 minutes after logging in and I dont know what can be causing it but a safe bet is windows 10

My win 8.1 did that 7 months in, a system reinstall fixed it (not full reinstall)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, this automatic update poo poo is annoying as gently caress. Can't just let the computer idle overnight with tons of apps open to pick up where you left, because Windows decides to reboot because it saw the box idle for hours.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, this automatic update poo poo is annoying as gently caress. Can't just let the computer idle overnight with tons of apps open to pick up where you left, because Windows decides to reboot because it saw the box idle for hours.

Why didn't you tell it to not auto reboot.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Why not just find out for sure instead of guessing

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

redeyes posted:

I've used a bunch of Pro 1's 2's and now 3's and they ALL had loving stupid glitches from wifi to charging to the keyboards not working. Highly unimpressed.

my second SP3 has been having WiFi issues since 8.1->10 and im probably just gonna reset the piece of poo poo and hope for the best

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I have an odd usage question. I'm not even sure if it's possible.

What I want to do is this:

When PC boots up and I log in, start a copy of Chrome on Desktop 2 that contains certain sites. Does this make sense?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

go3 posted:

my second SP3 has been having WiFi issues since 8.1->10 and im probably just gonna reset the piece of poo poo and hope for the best

It's loving maddening how Microsoft's premium device on their premium OS does this poo poo.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Irritated Goat posted:

I have an odd usage question. I'm not even sure if it's possible.

What I want to do is this:

When PC boots up and I log in, start a copy of Chrome on Desktop 2 that contains certain sites. Does this make sense?

I don't know much about Task Scheduler beyond the fact that it exists, but that can probably get the job done.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

hooah posted:

I don't know much about Task Scheduler beyond the fact that it exists, but that can probably get the job done.

I took a quick look. I'd have to figure out how to start Chrome on Desktop 2 and pin those sites but that might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Doesn't Chrome allow you to start it up with specific pages?