Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The NC-17 charge rifle is pretty great and you can learn how to craft it with minimal materials. At charge levels above 4 it fires a fireball. At 7 it explodes twice.

At 8 it blows up in your face so dont do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

SynthOrange posted:

The NC-17 charge rifle is pretty great and you can learn how to craft it with minimal materials. At charge levels above 4 it fires a fireball. At 7 it explodes twice.

At 8 it blows up in your face so dont do that.

But it could also just fire in a random direction! Which is better than blowing up in your face.

But a random direction could also be straight down at your feet. So yeah don't do that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I never see anyone talking about Tremors anymore either, even though they were one of the most awesome enemies. Was that another one of the enemy types that got accidentally shunted off the spawn tables?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No but all I ever see of them are when my car runs over them and I get free meat.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Graboids proper must be exceedingly rare; I have seen several giant worms, but they seem to be a bit more like the Nethack variety than Tremors.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I saw a graboid and didn't realize it wasn't a giant worm until I had already killed it. They don't seem particularly durable.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Giant worms are amazing. They can plough a giant field in under an hour of running around, and it's a drat shame that no one has implemented livestock or taming yet.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Anticheese posted:

Giant worms are amazing. They can plough a giant field in under an hour of running around, and it's a drat shame that no one has implemented livestock or taming yet.

It's possible to lock them behind doors they can't move through though, right? I forget off hand if the player has much in the way of ground altering ability, but it would be pretty funny to make a dirt path to a garage or some other building with a that slides closed and just keep it in there when you're not plowing the fields.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Anticheese posted:

To be fair, applying a hoe tills a field square in under a minute. Tilling the same square with a shovel requires a half hour. Cataclysm is a bit silly sometimes.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

GlyphGryph posted:

It's possible to lock them behind doors they can't move through though, right? I forget off hand if the player has much in the way of ground altering ability, but it would be pretty funny to make a dirt path to a garage or some other building with a that slides closed and just keep it in there when you're not plowing the fields.

Get in a throwaway car and ram bushes at high speed until it destroys the front wheels for a (temporary) turbo-plow.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The house across the street from my starting location makes a pretty good home base.

Enjoy using your battery-hungry hotplates and dangerous campfires, nerds. I'm cooking all-natural :smug:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

The house across the street from my starting location makes a pretty good home base.

Enjoy using your battery-hungry hotplates and dangerous campfires, nerds. I'm cooking all-natural :smug:

Yeah, but you gotta be outside for that. :smug:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Nope! Just have to pop open the window and stand next to it. That's close enough for the game to consider the fissure when looking for craftables nearby.

e: Apparently my diet of homemade fruit juice and lava-cooked gourmet dinners constitutes "healthy living" and I feel good now.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 21, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Now that's cooking or-chasmically!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I cannot stress enough how ridiculously convenient this lava is. The reprieve from keeping fires fed, keeping fires contained, and finding light to read/craft by is making the early "hole up in a shack and read books" game so much faster and smoother. It's really making me realize how much of the early game is usually devoted to loving about with menus and micromanaging cooking/reading/et cetera.

Sage Grimm posted:

Now that's cooking or-chasmically!

e: I somehow played my harmonica in my sleep all night and successfully slept through the noise of that combined with the thunderstorm outside

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 21, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Angry Diplomat posted:

I cannot stress enough how ridiculously convenient this lava is. The reprieve from keeping fires fed, keeping fires contained, and finding light to read/craft by is making the early "hole up in a shack and read books" game so much faster and smoother. It's really making me realize how much of the early game is usually devoted to loving about with menus and micromanaging cooking/reading/et cetera.

e: I somehow played my harmonica in my sleep all night and successfully slept through the noise of that combined with the thunderstorm outside

Is keeping fires contained normally that difficult? I normally just smash up some wood object and throw a few flammable splinters/skewers/whatever on the ground outside. If it's raining it's a great way to eat through tons of skewers and lighter charges, since you have to light a new fire for every new item/batch you craft. But neither of those resources are very scarce.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is keeping fires contained normally that difficult? I normally just smash up some wood object and throw a few flammable splinters/skewers/whatever on the ground outside. If it's raining it's a great way to eat through tons of skewers and lighter charges, since you have to light a new fire for every new item/batch you craft. But neither of those resources are very scarce.

No, it's not. It's really easy. Although my personal favorite way to deal with needing a heat source to craft is to use an oil mess kit. Kerosene is super charge-effiecient compared to hotplates. And those jugs of cooking oil aren't massively useful for much else.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

To follow up on wormchat, I really want to hitch a wooden wagon to some worms and go off on a wild adventure, like Oregon Trail meets Dune.

Or have a herd of blobs towing the wreck of a car to base. :3:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I like to use cooking oil to make johnnycakes, particularly if you find cottonseed or have a triffid grove a mile away. Cottonseed and wheat/oats/barley basically means after one harvest you never worry about food again. Without yeast or salt it's actually kind of a pain to make food out of just flour.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Acorns foraged in autumn for flour, and fish or meat is one way to make a lot of really filling pie.

God only knows how it would taste.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Swampwater and dead spiders for jerky. :colbert:

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
is this game still broken and poo poo or is it getting better

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Deluxe oatmeal with anything sweet and deluxe rice and beans (yeah, usually with dehydrated spider). Simple and you can whip up huge batches since they take days and days to spoil.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anticheese posted:

Acorns foraged in autumn for flour, and fish or meat is one way to make a lot of really filling pie.

God only knows how it would taste.

I've had acorn flour pancakes at some Native American festival. It's pretty good actually.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

LotsBread posted:

is this game still broken and poo poo or is it getting better

Yes and yes, actually. Apparently lighting was noticeably improved in one of the recent-ish experimental builds, and there's a few interesting mods in development. It's still glitchy, weird, and incomplete, obviously, but there does seem to be at least some small forward progress, in spite of ridiculous commits like 'removed gunpowder recipe because it wasn't realistic/was too overpowered'. It's annoying enough to go through hand-loading already when you can usually just pick up a laser rifle by the time you'd naturally run out of good ammo otherwise. And of course, it's dead simple to just add the recipe back with a mod, in that case.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I got woken up in the middle of the night by noises and went to investigate. A moose came into the evac shelter and started kicking the poo poo out of me, so I lured it into the basement and locked it in there.

Is there anything fun I can do with a basement moose?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Teddles posted:

I got woken up in the middle of the night by noises and went to investigate. A moose came into the evac shelter and started kicking the poo poo out of me, so I lured it into the basement and locked it in there.

You've got like 3 days of dehydrated moose jerky wandering around in your basement. Please do the needful.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
You COULD, theoretically, organize a fight club in your shelter basement, but trust me when I say while that sounds cool that's almost certainly WAY more trouble than it's worth.

Definitely just consider that your moose-larder and butcher him when you're able.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's not really, it's just a ton of extra busywork and loving around when you're using fires all the time. With the lava vent I just stand by the window to do everything and throw all my garbage into the magma. No fuss, no muss.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Teddles posted:

Don't feed it walnuts! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wtABke6Shs

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

I got cocky with a good character and went into a Black Widow basement. There were more than I though :eng99:

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

How do electric cars work anyway? I've found one with two batteries and three solar panels but after driving it home and going to sleep, it's run out of power and doesn't seem to be recharging.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Teddles posted:

How do electric cars work anyway? I've found one with two batteries and three solar panels but after driving it home and going to sleep, it's run out of power and doesn't seem to be recharging.

You're gonna need more than just three batteries.

...it does have an electric engine right?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Teddles posted:

Are the batteries damaged? Yellow or worse damage will drain constantly, even if the engine's off. I think it won't charge if it's out of the reality bubble too, so you'll need to stay close to it to charge it up.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

Artificer posted:

You're gonna need more than just three batteries.

...it does have an electric engine right?

ro5s posted:

Are the batteries damaged? Yellow or worse damage will drain constantly, even if the engine's off. I think it won't charge if it's out of the reality bubble too, so you'll need to stay close to it to charge it up.

Two swappable storage batteries (one yellow, one green), three solar panels (yellow) and one large electric motor (green) seem to be it as far as electrical power goes. Is this not enough?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Teddles posted:

Two swappable storage batteries (one yellow, one green), three solar panels (yellow) and one large electric motor (green) seem to be it as far as electrical power goes. Is this not enough?

Hmm. You may wish to repair the yellow battery at least, and the solar panels as well if you can. If you can find some other solar panels and slap it on, particularly the reinforced upgraded ones, that will help.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man the Abandoned challenge start now lets you pick Broken Cyborg. That start is looking very tempting now.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Goffer posted:

So I have a few funguses that I let grow and now I have a few too many:

This is one bunch of about 15 i have driven by. I killed the Fungal Bloom spire nearby, should these slowly die off now or do i need to kill each one individually?

Fungi always seemed kind of weird to me. I think the idea is that they have to rely on a spire/tower/blooms nearby or they fade out quickly, but even without them they reproduce so fast that leaving one fungal spore floating around means infinite fungi if you hang around for a bit. It's not as bad as the earlier versions but it's still way easier just not having anything to do with fungi ever.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inadequately posted:

Fungi always seemed kind of weird to me. I think the idea is that they have to rely on a spire/tower/blooms nearby or they fade out quickly, but even without them they reproduce so fast that leaving one fungal spore floating around means infinite fungi if you hang around for a bit. It's not as bad as the earlier versions but it's still way easier just not having anything to do with fungi ever.

Triffids also grow ridiculously, insanely fast. I think the both of the spawning enemy types really need to get toned down. In fact every special ability enemy in general seems to spam it like mad and it's pretty annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I fought a bunch of triffids and went deaf from all the crunching.