Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

After 5 or 6 months almost any multiplayer game outside a few (CoD, Battlefield, Borderlands, etc) is going to be filled with high level experts and new players with almost nothing in between .

That's certainly the case in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, where nearly everyone on the regular servers is a level 50 expert effortlessly dragging and doing reverse overheads. On free Steam weekends, it's just a massacre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The thing that drags down Dark Souls for me is the flying buttress gauntlet in Anor Londo.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
The secret is to get naked and just loving run.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I just got to Old Yharnam in Bloodborne and the part where the guy is shooting a machine gun at you is really annoying. Then I found a way to climb up the tower and confront the guy and he just kicked my rear end. So I guess I'm going to tolerate being shot at. :sigh:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

RyokoTK posted:

I just got to Old Yharnam in Bloodborne and the part where the guy is shooting a machine gun at you is really annoying. Then I found a way to climb up the tower and confront the guy and he just kicked my rear end. So I guess I'm going to tolerate being shot at. :sigh:

I mean, he did warn you.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

RyokoTK posted:

That entire area is optional so you can feel free to stop banging your dick in a car door. If you wait until later in the game when different doors open up you can come around behind him and be his friend. Failing that he accidentally throws himself off the tower 1/3rd of the time so just keep brute forcing it and you'll eventually get an anticlimactic powder badge.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Krinkle posted:

That entire area is optional so you can feel free to stop banging your dick in a car door. If you wait until later in the game when different doors open up you can come around behind him and be his friend. Failing that he accidentally throws himself off the tower 1/3rd of the time so just keep brute forcing it and you'll eventually get an anticlimactic powder badge.

Oh no, I got past it without too much trouble (relatively speaking, anyway), it was just a kind of irritating mechanic to me. I didn't think it was worth my effort to fight him since he doesn't have a boss health bar or a nightmare gate or whatever it's called so I just left him alone after he killed me and moved on.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

RyokoTK posted:

Oh no, I got past it without too much trouble (relatively speaking, anyway), it was just a kind of irritating mechanic to me. I didn't think it was worth my effort to fight him since he doesn't have a boss health bar or a nightmare gate or whatever it's called so I just left him alone after he killed me and moved on.

Proof you killed him, or proof he thinks you're cool, is worth three weapons you can't get any other way.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I've seen how people manhandle these From games in speedruns and stuff so I've already given up on being a progamer. All I care about is getting by :shobon:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

PubicMice posted:

The secret is to get naked

That's your answer to everything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Proof you killed him, or proof he thinks you're cool, is worth three weapons you can't get any other way.

Only really one. The rifle spear is available by itself in the same area and rope molotov cocktails are just an item, one that I've never even used once over several playthroughs.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

The thing that drags down Dark Souls for me is the flying buttress gauntlet in Anor Londo.

You can do it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

RyokoTK posted:

As soon as you get up there just start shooting him until he falls off. You won't be able to collect the prize right away but if you warp out and come back it will be at the top of the tower.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Killing him, as I understand, is the only way to get his clothes to show up at the vendor.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I really wish Wonderful 101 could get its act together and not feature so many sequences that take away your awesome powers. The worst offenders are the long corridors where you run around solo beating up the puniest mooks while some story dialogue plays out (and obscures half the screen). It's really not that great a story. The various vehicle sections aren't so hot either, but at least usually there's something to do in them. Solo sections just run contrary to the game's idea. The levels are running slightly too long as it is, they could've done some pruning.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's a really, really tiny thing but in D4 the art style between some of the 2d stuff and the in-game graphics don't match up at all. All the pictures in David's apartment, on the game's splash screen, etc. are done in an anime style but the actual game is set in Boston and uses a more realistic Western art style, and the main character looks completely different in all of them.

The fact that the game has a fictional Warner Bros-style cartoon that the main character is a fan of, has a bunch of readable magazines with true-to-life covers and photos, and most of the game takes place on an airplane where all the safety illustrations and weather alerts are done in a consistent realistic Western style just makes it all clash that much more.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

poison arrows and a longbow are your best friend in that spot

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

At the very least, you can't fault cartoons for not matching the rest of the setting.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It did crack me up that ANIME DAVID is on the title screen.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Model looks pretty anime to me, but celshading looks like poo poo in most cases anyway. Last game that pulled it off was Viewtiful Joe.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lizard Wizard posted:

At the very least, you can't fault cartoons for not matching the rest of the setting.

I was listing the cartoon as an example of one of the 2d elements that the game does well that fits in with the setting and makes the anime stand out more. Sebastian the Sleuth is awesome and having him pop up at the beginning of the game each time to explain how to play complete with his little TV jingle is adorable :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liYX_-VustI

Screaming Idiot posted:

Model looks pretty anime to me, but celshading looks like poo poo in most cases anyway. Last game that pulled it off was Viewtiful Joe.

I have to give the game credit, I don't know if it's those Microsoft dollars at work or the smaller scope of the game but considering that Deadly Premonition looked like a Dreamcast title it's actually pretty good-looking in motion.

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Aug 23, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Personally I really like the visual style of Borderlands but I don't know if that technically counts. Still it's really The Wind Waker that looks the best for cel shading.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RyokoTK posted:

Like the other poster said, killing him is how you get his armor set - which has the highest Frenzy resistance in the entire game and trust me that will be helpful in some of the other areas of the game. All you really have to do is bait him toward the edge and his bad AI will take over.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

RyokoTK posted:

Personally I really like the visual style of Borderlands but I don't know if that technically counts. Still it's really The Wind Waker that looks the best for cel shading.

Wind Waker was okay, but I never got into Zelda games and the whole thing was just too tedious. Sailing was dull, the "stealth" missions were grating, and it felt like there was too much filler between the good parts. Vietwiful Joe took the cel-shading to a higher level -- the game looked and felt like a comic book movie. It still looks pretty good, even almost a decade later.

Stay away from the sequels, though. Viewtiful Joe 2 was a pale imitation of the original and all the other games were just loving awful. The Smash Brothers knockoff was easily the worst fighter I've ever played.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

Guilty Gear Xrd is still the best cel shading I've seen. You'd swear the game was using sprites until the camera rotates during a finisher.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The lackingness of Chrono Trigger DS's added content is pretty well known at this point, but something I haven't seen mentioned is that there's an extras menu on the title screen that lets you load a save and look at cut scenes/sound test/tech list etc. The tech list includes screen shots of them in action, and in their infinite wisdom, Square Enix had the screen shots for the first few techs in the game spoil poo poo like (game's old but I'm whining about spoilers so) Magus joining the party, parties without Crono (i.e. he dies) and the Undersea Palace/Black Omen for absolutely no reason. :bravo:

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Mokinokaro posted:

Guilty Gear Xrd is still the best cel shading I've seen. You'd swear the game was using sprites until the camera rotates during a finisher.

Xrd is above and beyond Wind Waker by miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ9Cd4MKqHs

Those are not sprites.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sims 3: Skill gains seem way too quick. The only time my sim has been using their mechanical skill is to unclog the toilet and they're already halfway to maxing out the skill. Making salads and waffles is making my sim a culinary god. I'm not exactly complaining that doing simple things is maxing out skills, its more that its happening way too quickly. You don't really have to worry about cooking fires after 2 days of making salads and you will never see the repairman cause unclogging the toilet for a few days will let you fix up everything yourself.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Leal posted:

Sims 3: Skill gains seem way too quick. The only time my sim has been using their mechanical skill is to unclog the toilet and they're already halfway to maxing out the skill. Making salads and waffles is making my sim a culinary god. I'm not exactly complaining that doing simple things is maxing out skills, its more that its happening way too quickly. You don't really have to worry about cooking fires after 2 days of making salads and you will never see the repairman cause unclogging the toilet for a few days will let you fix up everything yourself.

My Sims 3 gripe is that (much like the other Sims games) simple tasks take entirely too long to complete. The clock is so fast that I believe on the normal setting a minute or two is equal to an hour. Unfortunately the animations for everything are pretty much real time despite the compressed time scale. Want a bowl of cereal? Hope you have a free hour before work. Gotta take a leak? That'll take almost a half hour if you remember to wash your hands. It seems like the challenge of balancing work and personal lives for your Sims is completely artificial and based around them needing twenty minutes to eat a bag of chips that they inexplicably pull from the fridge.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've done it before, it's just that it never gets easier, and each time I get to it, I migrate out of the 'git gud' crowd to the 'THIS GAME IS BULLSHIT' crowd. The one upshot is that it makes the upcoming Waldorf and Satler fight feel less harrowing in comparison.

Alaois posted:

poison arrows and a longbow are your best friend in that spot

I went with this once, and while it worked it was really tedious and never wanted to do it that way again...and then I get back to that part and wish I had the longbow and poison arrows :negative:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

Wind Waker was okay, but I never got into Zelda games and the whole thing was just too tedious. Sailing was dull, the "stealth" missions were grating, and it felt like there was too much filler between the good parts. Vietwiful Joe took the cel-shading to a higher level -- the game looked and felt like a comic book movie. It still looks pretty good, even almost a decade later.

Stay away from the sequels, though. Viewtiful Joe 2 was a pale imitation of the original and all the other games were just loving awful. The Smash Brothers knockoff was easily the worst fighter I've ever played.

Does Afro Samurai count as Cel Shading? That game was beautiful.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ryoshi posted:

My Sims 3 gripe is that (much like the other Sims games) simple tasks take entirely too long to complete. The clock is so fast that I believe on the normal setting a minute or two is equal to an hour. Unfortunately the animations for everything are pretty much real time despite the compressed time scale. Want a bowl of cereal? Hope you have a free hour before work. Gotta take a leak? That'll take almost a half hour if you remember to wash your hands. It seems like the challenge of balancing work and personal lives for your Sims is completely artificial and based around them needing twenty minutes to eat a bag of chips that they inexplicably pull from the fridge.

This problem got even worse in Sim 4. I swear eating takes forever in that game.

To make it worse is that they pause frequently in actions like eating, which I think is a byproduct of the multi-task system where they can have conversations during a meal or whatever.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Ryoshi posted:

There's a mod for that

They make the best mods, they are crazy useful.

Edit: my problem is that I have so many custom items my computer slows down, and I had to download programs that compress them into one file. But there's so many good custom items out there :(

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Aug 30, 2015

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cradle is an interesting adventure game with a pretty setting that deals with questions about the nature of humanity in a unique way. A good little game all around. You know what makes heady, atmospheric adventure games better though? Mandatory 3D platforming minigames every twenty minutes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah those minigames are completely out of place. They just don't belong at all.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

MindlessHavok posted:

Does Afro Samurai count as Cel Shading? That game was beautiful.

I think a sequel just came out for that

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rocket League is an incredibly fun rocket car hockey(and I say this is more hockey than soccer since body checking is completely legal) game. What sucks is that in the lower levels there are way too many players who think just touching the ball is the pinnacale of achievement and will constantly bump the ball with their car, even if it's toward their own goal, or out of the path you have lined up toward the enemy goal.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Away all Goats posted:

Rocket League is an incredibly fun rocket car hockey(and I say this is more hockey than soccer since body checking is completely legal) game. What sucks is that in the lower levels there are way too many players who think just touching the ball is the pinnacale of achievement and will constantly bump the ball with their car, even if it's toward their own goal, or out of the path you have lined up toward the enemy goal.

Also either I've been very unlucky or the matchmaking is atrocious, myself as an only-just-semi-pro was once with two rookies against two semis and a pro. That's the most extreme example but I've never been in an evenly matched game, it's always like 5/6-0/1.

Also either it's got iffy servers or very unforgiving latency detection because I lag like mad when I don't on other games.

Still love it to death :allears:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

AlphaKretin posted:

Also either I've been very unlucky or the matchmaking is atrocious, myself as an only-just-semi-pro was once with two rookies against two semis and a pro. That's the most extreme example but I've never been in an evenly matched game, it's always like 5/6-0/1.

Also either it's got iffy servers or very unforgiving latency detection because I lag like mad when I don't on other games.

Still love it to death :allears:

I wonder how much of this, particularly the lag, is caused by PC/PS4 cross play shenanigans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

After a match in MDickies Wrestling Revolution you get a statement showing your wages and deductions. Instead of showing these amounts instantly the numbers gradually move up to the correct amount. Each of these counters only takes 2 seconds as (usually) do the 4 to 10 news stories you get afterward but it starts to get grating after a while. The most extreme case is when a wrester is paralysed. Each of their stat bars will slowly drain one at a time which I think takes 15 seconds.

There's a similar annoyance in the high level battles in the older Pokémon games. The health bars would drain so slowly. On the N64 and GameCube games it wasn't a problem as the attacked Pokémon would have a recoil animation that would play simultaneously which make sense because you would expect the battle to actually be depicted but on the handheld games you're just watching the bar drain and nothing else. It's just wasted time.