Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
TNN and DA are definitely, definitely comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
So we're just forgetting the "Spike did NOTHING" concept (which to be fair isn't inaccurate, they never had ads for Impact on any of their other programming) and want to go crawling back?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DynamiteKidd posted:

So we're just forgetting the "Spike did NOTHING" concept (which to be fair isn't inaccurate, they never had ads for Impact on any of their other programming) and want to go crawling back?

Well yeah, I mean we've always been at war with Eastasia, why would now be any different?

And I guess if buying billboard time in Times Square is nothing, then you're right, Spike did nothing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DynamiteKidd posted:

The loony stuff they spin now actually doesn't contradict the "Spike did NOTHING" narrative because, you see, TNA left Spike precisely because Spike never did anything for them and TNA felt they could do better elsewhere. But it's all good because they parted on good terms, and isn't it such a sign of greatness that Dixie is prepared to let bygones be bygones and come back to Spike?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Vince left USA cause of his own hubris, he didn't leave because he thought Spike was a good move. God drat people.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I love Mecca. So, TNA is either broke as poo poo and about to go under while lying their asses off, or have more money that they did on Spike but don't pay their employees or production people. Either scenario, they are an awful promotion, yet there imbeciles support them.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Tato posted:

I love Mecca. So, TNA is either broke as poo poo and about to go under while lying their asses off, or have more money that they did on Spike but don't pay their employees or production people. Either scenario, they are an awful promotion, yet there imbeciles support them.

The firing of longtime employees is just a work and the late pay rumours are all spread by haters and bitter former employees, actually.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

DynamiteKidd posted:

(which to be fair isn't inaccurate, they never had ads for Impact on any of their other programming)

yes they did, bellator constantly had promos and tie ins with TNA

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Yuriy posted:

yes they did, bellator constantly had promos and tie ins with TNA

You shut your lying mouth, Spike never did a single thing for TNA ever!!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DynamiteKidd posted:

It's extremely inaccurate, Spike did everything for TNA. They subsidized contracts, bought them Times Square billboards, always tried to get UFC to cross promote (only succeeded once when Hogan came in because Dana didn't want to be associated with TNA) and a million other things.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MassRafTer posted:

It's extremely inaccurate, Spike did everything for TNA. They subsidized contracts, bought them Times Square billboards, always tried to get UFC to cross promote (only succeeded once when Hogan came in because Dana didn't want to be associated with TNA) and a million other things.

Sorry we do not accept facts here.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

MassRafTer posted:

See, the thing you forgot to remember is that Spike Did Nothing For TNA. TNA's just like ECW! Rebels, succeeding against out-of-touch corporate types from an uncaring TV network!

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I just wonder if opinion shifted on DA. In Jan the story was "Spike did NOTHING and DA is rolling out the red carpet", but now they want Spike again

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The Mecca crew doesn't want you to remember that they blamed Spike for everything and thought DA had a bigger audience.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HulkaMatt posted:

The Mecca crew doesn't want you to remember that they blamed Spike for everything and thought DA had a bigger audience.

Taking cues from TNA management. Dixie would be proud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't know what to highlight or leave out so I will just present it all:

quote:

16 August 2015
The Other Side of the Squared Circle - Aug 12, 2015

Ring the bell, Ladies and Gentlemen and welcome to the debut edition of The Other Side of the Squared Circle, I am your tour guide taking you on a voyage through my mind to help you understand my thoughts on this week's edition of TNA Impact. I cannot promise the same quality as Shakespeare or even more experienced writers but I will be honest so there's that. Now these thoughts and opinions are only shared by myself and do not represent TNAMecca as a whole, then again that's a good thing, if we shared the same exact opinions this site would be boring as hell.

Variety is the spice of life and it's through meeting and talking with people who think differently about things is how we grow. With that said, let's get to it. This is for the August 12th edition of TNA Impact. As what I believe will be the format from here on out, I will begin with what I liked then move on to what I did not like and finish up with what just felt blah, wasn't right and it wasn't wrong, it was just there, like a Chavo Guerrero Jr. promo. With that being said, let's get the column going.

1-Count: Things I loved

GFW in the house: As an avid wrestling fan I get excited when I have the opportunity to see new talent on TV for the first time. I think it's drat cool that we have two wrestling companies working together and I hope ROH makes it a trio, but I digress. Some of the talent I had seen before in WWE like Brian Myers though I hope to God he has that haircut because he lost a bet, the former Masterpiece Chris Mordetzky, and PJ Black aka Justin Gabriel, 2 of whom I am a fan of and I also thought PJ had been wasted during his WWE run. It was also good to see Sonjay back on TNA TV though strange to not see his shoulder taped up. I loved that immediately we got GFW and TNA having a showdown at the start of the show.

It Factor gets Roode: Hell yes, Bobby is back to being his drat Roode self again. I missed this ruthless side of him that helped him remain the longest TNA world champion in the company's history. While he had been entertaining, he also seemed to be missing something that gave him the appeal he had to me for so long. Either way I hope this is the start of a return to glory for the It Factor of Professional Wrestling.

KOTM goes Primetime, baby: I really didn't know what to expect for the first ever live KOTM match on TV but I was pleasantly surprised. It did surprise me that they put 2 GFW guys in the match considering Jarrett was running the show since part of me expected him to fill the ranks with them. That Lashley spear off the top rope was insane. All in all it was a great match, though I can't help but feel like the wrong person won.

Sadly no event is perfect there are going to be flaws I mean this is wrestling not anime. TNA Impact did have its issues. I don't point out flaws to be cruel or to hate on TNA as most seem to think about WWE fans or like most WWE fans seem to do. Benjamin Franklin said "Our critics are our friends; for they make known to us our flaws." With that said, let's rip this Band-Aid off quickly as there are 3 things to make the 2-count list tonight.

2-Count: C'mon almost had it.

Kong vs Tapa, no snarky comment because these women could beat my rear end: I know that sometimes wrestlers have off nights and on occasion a bad style matchup can ruin an entire match. There was no major botch that killed the match but it just came off as bad, like when Lei'd was trying to "block" Kong's clotheslines. I know neither woman is used to being in the ring with someone their size so I can be forgiving however it is clear that they do not need to wrestle 1 on 1 again anytime soon.

PJ Black the Douchewolf: I understand he is supposed to have this Devil May Care attitude and be reckless, but the guy just seemed less like a daredevil and more like a douchebag. He acted like that guy you meet on the Beach who thinks he's extreme because he rides his high dollar motorcycle his parents bought him and will never shut up about how extreme he is. Not to mention Black drat near crushing Lashley's chest and head with that 450. It is bizarre to write PJ Black and blown 450 together because in the entire time he was with WWE he never botched it. He had the most crisp and on target 450 splash I've ever seen. Maybe with time it'll come off better but for now, I am just not feeling it.

Too many backstage interviews and promos: It seemed like every time Impact came back from commercial break they had to go backstage for an interview or show some promo for next week. I know this is a minor gripe but I hate it when WWE does it and I hate it when TNA does it, especially the latter of the two because WWE has 15 hours or however the hell how many hours of wrestling to fill every night and TNA only has these 2. I get that some interview segments are necessary for storylines but correct me if I am wrong, this GFW thing is not a one off event, we do not need to meet the entire roster tonight.

Ah Band-Aid is off, and the tears have almost stopped. You know, I think Kevin Nash put it best when he said something along the lines of "It's good if they love you, it's great if they hate you but the worst reaction is none at all." These are the segments of Impact that gave me no reaction. I hate feeling that way because the people involved are busting their rear end and some of them I really like but I can't fake being supportive, I just don't have the acting ability.

3-Count: That's it?

Bobby Lashley has the touch of death: Lashley's first match of the evening was against Mr. Pec-tactular Jessie Godderz. These two suffered an issue that seemed to run throughout the entire night in that some matches, I could not put my finger on it but something felt off. I am not saying they were outright bad, but they just felt weird. I'll excuse some of them like The Wolves vs Lee and Myers for being new to one another, however this just felt odd to watch and Jessie Godderz has officially won the award for Worst Spear sell ever. Lashley hit him with a spear and he sold it like he had either been shot by a sniper or super kicked by the Young Bucks.

Welcome Back Sonjay: as I said earlier it was great to see Sonjay Dutt back on Impact and even better was him going head to head against the current X-division Champion Tigre Uno, however that same feeling that I had throughout the night seemed to be at its worst here. Again I am giving them a pass because they are probably working with each other for the first time however this cannot be the norm. I know both of them are capable of better flowing matches. It is nice to see heel Sonjay though.

Pope says this about Pope, Josh: I know that commentary has fallen off in years since the 90s with Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler in the Attitude Era, but this team is hard to listen to. I actually thought Josh was a drat good commentator during his WWE days and I don't know what the heck happened since then. Maybe because the commentary isn't done live it just feels hollow and forced like Keanu Reeves' acting ability? Whatever the reason is it needs to be fixed, perhaps it's switching Matthews out with Tenay or something but this team has had long enough time to gel and it hasn't. I don't hate the commentary but Josh's work gives that same hollow vibe that Michael Cole's does.

Well there you have my 3 count for this week's TNA Impact. Now before I go I want to leave you with some parting thoughts. I call this part of the column

After the Bell

Oh My God you killed Kenny...'s Push: In my opinion the person who is losing out the most because of the whole Hernandez situation is the Pretty Boy Pitbull, Kenny King. He was on a roll possibly going to take back his X-Division title and then the Hernandez situation caved in on his head. Now let's take a look at the BDC. Currently this is the state of the BDC as it stands: 3 members are no longer with the company since Low Ki was let go (presumably because TNA management thought they had Hernandez to replace him). MVP quit or was fired depending on what you read and what you believe because he insisted on Hernandez being brought in, and Hernandez who knowingly and illegally went on TNA TV and as a result nearly got TNA sued by Lucha Underground.

Because of 1 man's greed 3 careers were drastically changed. And now as a result Kenny King is left holding the bag as the only BDC member left standing and for the fans of TNA who don't read the news on the internet and keep up to date on behind the scenes circumstances they are going to have some serious questions. I would imagine quite a few will feel confused as hell as to where the BDC has been and why Kenny is by himself all of a sudden. I honestly don't know how they can bring him back any time soon after this unless they turn him face and have him aid Tigre Uno when he's jumped by 2 guys, trying to make up for his sins as part of the BDC. I am a huge Kenny King fan and I want him to succeed because I believe he can be a superstar. Only time will tell what TNA management has in store for TNA's own King of the night.

Alright, now I hope you have enjoyed this column and leave your comments below about what you think can be done to salvage Kenny King in TNA.
Posted by John Bateman at 12:00 AM 22 Comments

http://www.tnamecca.com/2015/08/the-other-side-of-squared-circle-aug-12.html

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Sadly no event is perfect there are going to be flaws I mean this is wrestling not anime

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DynamiteKidd posted:

I just wonder if opinion shifted on DA. In Jan the story was "Spike did NOTHING and DA is rolling out the red carpet", but now they want Spike again

Their opinion shifted because now they realize too late that DA is actually kicking them out in under a full year and they pine for the good old days when, at least when they were kicked out, they were kicked out after years on the station

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
My favourite part is still "I'll take the word of people who work for TNA over internet news", because sure there's plenty of bullshit online but I don't think there's ever been a promoter who hasn't lied and lied again even to the locker room, let alone to the fans. And TNA and Dixie have a reputation even in the wrestling industry for lying (and being caught out lying).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Blasmeister posted:

Sadly no event is perfect there are going to be flaws I mean this is wrestling not anime

But let me tell you how wrestling is like anime...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I'm not sure what this is doing in this thread this is perfect.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

John Cena has to solve one hundred arithmetic, geometry and algebra questions...WITHOUT A CALCULATOR!!! Unfortunately, since this is the PG era, he's allowed scrap paper.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Someone change my name to Mr Migman

NerfHerderEX
Aug 13, 2015

GG!

Was this comment written by Freight Train?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Nerf Herder EX posted:

Was this comment written by Freight Train?

Don't sully the good name of Freight Train.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/634916587884036096

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Not really all that original you can find about 100 "wrestling is dead/dying" posts every week on wrestlingforum.com

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

MassRafTer posted:

I don't know what to highlight or leave out so I will just present it all:

http://www.tnamecca.com/2015/08/the-other-side-of-squared-circle-aug-12.html

i dont want to read all of that poo poo!!!!!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i read all that poo poo and lol at poor put upon kenny king

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Benne posted:

Villanos/Psycho Circus from TripleMania this year got MINUS FIVE STARS from Dave. Trust me, it deserved that rating.

When you put it like that, it's almost begging to be watched now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TV Zombie posted:

When you put it like that, it's almost begging to be watched now.

I'm never deleting my dvr of Triplemania.

I will keep it forever until I watch a new PPV that was worse

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

As Alvarez said, there's no way it's MINUS FIVE STARS because of the spot where the clowns climb on each others' shoulders

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It gets a bonus negative two snowflakes for how sad it is to see a stroke patient try to wrestle though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Basically there are different kinds of bad matches that will affect my enjoyment of them. Jenna/Sharmell is a hilarious trainwreck. The Doomsday Cage Match is an fascinating exercise in how you can bury your entire heel roster in one night. Jeff Hardy/Sting is a spectacular meltdown that unfolded live because nobody bothered to check if Jeff was sober enough to wrestle. A lot of "classic" bad matches are worth revisiting for one reason or another.

Villanos/Psycho Circus was bad in the same way that Bushwackers/Sheik/Volkoff was, just a bunch of sad old dudes who can barely walk still trying to wrestle a decade after their expiration. It was not enjoyably bad or interesting bad -- in fact, the production/commentary issues make it close to unwatchable. I have zero desire to revisit it.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 23, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
For me the worst crime a match can commit is being so boring and sloppy that it's not even worth getting into describing. So a lot of matches that are awful on a technical level can still be fun to me.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I don't know, I think usually when people can only say "It was just poo poo!", that means "I didn't like one or more of the workers in it!" and there was nothing especially bad about the match :colbert:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
#BrooklynScrewjob

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm actually a bit surprised WWE never tried to jump on the "replay challenge" thing real sports do, if only because refs huddling around the monitor NBA-style trying to see who tapped first is an amusing mental image to me.

It would be absolutely terrible in execution, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I remember them doing some poo poo about instant replay back in the new generation era. I don't remember any specifics beyond them making fun of whatever sport was having a go at it at the time, and I know it couldn't have lasted long, but I do remember it being a thing.

Ah found something, a little earlier than I thought, but here it is.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x303uch

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 24, 2015