Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
But this LP can't be dead. I have so many feelings. I just binged it over the last few days. I thought everyone was full of poo poo when they said Leo was the best. I was wrong. I was so wrong! :negative:

Come back I need you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

:allears:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Miracles DO happen, every day!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I believe in you, Crowetron! You rule!

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

The encore is impending! :allears:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
:monocle:

:allears:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Best birthday ever!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:sbahj:

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
IT LIIIIIIIIIIVES!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

An old record player hums to life

: "Oh, hey there. Didn't see you come in. Reckon I can guess what you're here for, though."

: "After all, who can resist a good story?"

: "A proper story oughta start at the beginning. Luckily, this story ain't that complicated, so sure, we can start there."

: "Y'see, our story starts with a Kid. Just a rough and tumble sorta Kid with big dreams and a mouthy cat. He always wanted an adventure. Never thought he'd find one, though."

: "Kid thought wrong. Trouble came a knockin', in the same form trouble always takes. "

: "A girl. This girl weren't no ordinary girl, though. This girl came from space."

: "Yeah. That's pretty wild even for a talking cat."

: "Y'see, this girl was looking to meet the Goddess. She wasn't after an autograph or a commemorative t-shirt, no. She was here on business. Some Big Bad had showed its ugly face in the cosmos, and only the Main Lady herself could stomp it out."

: "The trip to Pentagulia from the rear end end of nowhere is no small trek. The Kid promised to take her all the way, to see this quest through to the end. I never said he was a smart Kid, now did I?"

: "One Kid, a space Girl, and a talkin' cat ain't much of a crew. And there was plenty of opposition waiting to put a stop to their little trip. Lucky for them the Kid was real good at making friends. They met all sorts of allies."

: "Some of 'em ruggedly handsome..."

: "...some were stronger than even they knew..."

: "...and others were...well, kind of a pain in the rear end, but pretty alright at the end of the day."

: "Course, wouldn't be much of a story without some danger, now would it."

: "Suffice to say, the whole world was against 'em. But in the end? Well..."

: "Ronald, honey, who are you talking to?"

: "Oh! Uh...y'know, just uh...these folks."

: "Are you telling that same old story again? The one about how you helped save the world?"

: "Are you kidding? Of course I'm telling that story. I fought a Yeti!"

: "Well, are you at least going to finish it this time?"

: "Don't I usually?"

: "No, you usually get side-tracked shortly after the part where you rescued me."

: "I do?"

: "Yep. Too busy congratulating yourself."

: "Oh. Well, let's just skip to after that part, shall we? Not much left after that, anyway."

Episode 64: Jumbo Spicy Cat

With Mauri safe and the Red Dragon Essence retrieved, the party gains access to the volcanic Red Dragon Cave.

Cat Chat Tunes

: "I'm not super familiar with the details of dragon puberty. Is this gonna get weird?"

: "If they're anything like other magical creatures, it'll either be a big flash of light and its over or the most twisted disgusting sight you will ever behold."

: "50/50, huh? Well, I'm feeling lucky, let's get weird."

: "Jean, is that what Ronfar would call a 'burn'?"

: "Honestly, I'm not sure."

ZAP

: "We're bigger, stronger, capable of flight, and just kinda generally better."

: "Dude, we're like, right here."

: "No peace from those Belmonts, huh?"

: "What are you...Look, I'm trying to have a moment here. Could everyone who's not a dragon shut up for a minute?"

I don't remember if I ever said anything negative about Nall, but if I did, it was wrong.

: "Explain how!"

: "You'll experience stronger emotions as an adult, Ruby. Deeper joy. Deeper sorrow. And in those times of sorrow, you'll call upon your memories to make yourself happy again. You'll hear Hiro's voice...you'll see his smiling face...and you'll find the strength to go on."

: " "I guess you're freaked. And I guess you're still not ready. But I can't help you anymore. I've done everything I can do for you, and then some. You know what you have to do, Ruby. Now you have to summon the will to do it. "

ZOOP

Well, that was a whole lot of pathos we just stepped in. And now we get a big dull dungeon right afterwards! Don't worry, this is the last dragon cave, and it's pretty short. Bad News though:

More Conquering The Cave

Yeah, let that little earworm sink back in. This game does have great music, they just picked the worst song to play the most, really.

As you might expect, everything in this place is Fire themed. They also have buckets of HP and those Blood Slimes are resistant to physical attacks, too. If only we has some sort of magical blonde solution to this dilemma...

:smugwizard:

There's some nice loot laying around, but the dungeon itself is pretty dull so let's ignore the boring bits.

Whoa, what the gently caress? Dyne as in Dyne the legendary Dragon Master from 1000 years and one game ago? That Dyne? His gear is just laying around in a volcano? Whatever, gimme it!

The armor of the most famous hero this world has ever know is only 8 points better than the armor I picked up in a clearance sale :kiddo:

The crest of the Ogre Clan, subjugated by the Demons in ancient times?!

: "Hey, Jean? This crest says something about Penetration Attacks? What is a--"

: "Hey you guys find something over there?"

: "Nothing Ronnie! Just an herb!"

: "Hiro, Ronfar can never know about this crest. We'll never hear the end of it."

: "But--"

: "He. Can. Never. Know."

Shield Ring is a hefty boost to physical defense. I guess you deflect blows while simultaneously flipping the bird.

At last we reach the end. Time to beat the heat.

The Red Fiend has emerged from the side of a totally bitchin' van to do battle, but it's way outmatched. The Red Fiend is all about raw damage. No tricks, no status effects, no healing, just damage. And after facing the other Fiends, damage is no big deal.

Just like riding a bike.

White Dragon Protect is key to trivializing this fight. When Big Red has a ring of fire around her, it means she's gonna use her big showstopper.

She basically drops a sun on us.

But, that's magic, so WDP blocks it. This is Big Red's only party-wide attack and she's so slow that you can react to her telegraph every time with no sweat. The only difficulty here is managing WDP's heavy MP cost, and that's not really a big deal if you're pouring on the damage.

Her other two attacks are almost a nonissue. This one hits everything in a straight line, but she tends to target Hiro, so you can just move him away from the pack and toss him a heal every other turn. Her other attack is single target only, so again, just keep an eye on Hiro's HP.

: "This is pathetic. I can finish you off alone, using only the power of my Stand!"

: "Let's dance! Empress Blue!!!"

: "PunchaPunchaPunchaPunchaKICK!"

: "Holy gently caress!"

: "It evaporated!"

: "Omigawd! Jean, where did that come from?!"

: "Oh, I could do that the whole time. I'm just tired of these Fiends, to be honest."

Everyone gets a level! Ronnie gets a very nice upgrade to the 'Oh poo poo!' button.

JeanJo learns the ability to stop time.

And Lemina keeps it cool :c00l:

Music ~ Between Dragons

At last, the final Dragon Chamber.

Hiro throws the aura in as usual and...

uh...

Hey, yeah, what gives?!

Suddenly, the crystal cracks and the chamber begins to rumble.

: "I am sorry, Ruby. I should have planned for your failure."

: "I know we're about to die, but uh, drat Lu, nice burn."

: "Don't worry, it happens to lots of--"

: "Ow!"

: "No. Bad Ronnie."

; "Stop hitting me! Where's you even get a rolled up newspaper in a volcano?!"

I feel a speech coming on

: "Explain how!"

: "You've lived with me since I was a boy, Ruby. And you've spent plenty of time with our new friends. Your heart must be bursting with memories by now, Ruby! And as long as you have those memories, we will always be with you."

: "The voice that kept asking when I was going to grow up. I knew that I would have to become an adult to protect our world..."

: "...but I didn't want to lose my friends. So I ignored that voice, no matter how loud it spoke."

: "Now that the Dragon Aura is released, and I stand ready to claim that prize...Zophar tightens his merciless grip."

: "My only hope is that I will be strong enough to make a difference..."

: "WA-POW! Check me out, losers!"

dragon catte

FLOOP

: "And in my adult form, I can't sit on Hiro's shoulder!"

: "Let's go, you guys! All of the Dragon's power should be restored now!"

The Red Dragon Crest allows the wearer to RAIN METEORS DOWN UPON YOUR PATHETIC FOES! Not too shabby.

Hiro's finally found the out he's been looking for since he was 10 years old.

: "All the dragons are freed, Zophar's generals are all defeated, and everyone's resolved their tragic backstories! Let's go, guys! Nothing bad can happen from this point on!"

: "W-what? Why are you all looking at me like that?"

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Oh boy I can't wait for the things! That happen!

And while I'm glad that this Jean remains broken, I will never forgive this version for taking out the original Blue Dragon Vigor. (Although that method of breaking the game wasn't exclusive to Jean, it was just usually best used with her.)

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 21, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Crowetron posted:

: "Suffice to say, the whole world was against 'em. But in the end? Well..."

: "Ronald, honey, who are you talking to?"
Aww look at old Ronfar and his mustache.

wait why does maurie have one as well what is going on why is it so awesome ahhhhhhh

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
YES, have I missed this.

I love Blue Dragon Fist, because with Jean's battle quote it's basically :argh: in Ultimate Attack form.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I just finished binge reading this whole LP and was super sad to see that it had died.

I'm super happy to see it back.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Criwetron is almost as awesome as Daniel. :)

Sweet update Crowetron, thanks!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

You're still in top form, Crowetron :3:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Next update needs a video of Jean casting Red Dragon Anger

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Time has not dulled Crowetron's cutting wit one bit. :3:

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I laughed out loud at some of the parts in here. I love this LP so much and I'm so happy to see parts of it. Even if it takes years I will keep waiting because this is amazing and I love every minute of it. :3:

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Hooray, it is back!

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
This LP lives once more, my life is now complete again!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Awesome! Very much hoping to see you get past where I stopped my playthrough! I think it's really close!

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Cool, glad to see this back.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
And he just picks it right back up, just as awesome as ever. We missed you, man.

Camel Pimp posted:

And while I'm glad that this Jean remains broken, I will never forgive this version for taking out the original Blue Dragon Vigor.

What kung-fu wizardry is this? I never played the original version and I miss this move.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
Whoops. Edit turned into a double-post.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Zerbin7 posted:

And he just picks it right back up, just as awesome as ever. We missed you, man.

What kung-fu wizardry is this? I never played the original version and I miss this move.

Basically, instead of fully healing the party, Blue Dragon Vigor would increase the user's Attack# by a bunch. I'm having trouble finding exactly how many; one guide says 2-3, but Jean in Camel Pimp's LP was getting off like 7-9. Then again, I'm not sure what her base Attack# was for that LP either.

EDIT: Scratch that, there were TEN attacks in that video. Jean is pretty insane with or without that crest.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
That was a great way to come back in. Mustache Mauri made me cackle.

Between Bees dance and "Everyone gets an uppercut"Jean's moves are starting to feel like someone foresaw Oprah memes and built them into the game.

Edit: Ok, found something interesting while I was looking up "Lunar Jean". Apologies if this has been mentioned. There's a crater on our moon named Jeans. There's also Maury, Leonov, and Lucian.

Zagglezig fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 22, 2015

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Bufuman posted:

Basically, instead of fully healing the party, Blue Dragon Vigor would increase the user's Attack# by a bunch. I'm having trouble finding exactly how many; one guide says 2-3, but Jean in Camel Pimp's LP was getting off like 7-9. Then again, I'm not sure what her base Attack# was for that LP either.

EDIT: Scratch that, there were TEN attacks in that video. Jean is pretty insane with or without that crest.

I'm pretty sure it is a flat +6 to number of attacks. Jean actually had four attacks at the time, one extra from her weapon, one from an accessory.

Actually, you can play the Sega CD version and miss it; the game doesn't tell what it does. Its description is just ????. And when you use it, it has no immediately obviously effect. For a spell that costs 99 MP (In the US version, it "only" cost 75 MP in the original) You'll only notice it did something you have the character who used it attack. Which you're not likely to do in a boss fight (although regular attacks seem to be much stronger in the original and critical more often). And that insane number of attacks only happens for one round.

But, uh, don't think that all makes it balanced. It doesn't.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Jeanjo having the power to be awesome at basically everything is why there should have been another remake. Doppleganger could have combined some skills to make Jean's moveset... :perfect:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Stop shitposting people this thread is dead accept it and move o...

wait what

WHAAAAAA:aaaaa:

It's alive! :syoon:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Thanks for the support, guys. You should probably send some gratitude Camel Pimp's way, tho. She reminded me this thread was still twitching. I had assumed it was resting peacefully in the archives.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Thank you, Camel Pimp and Crowetron.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Welcome Back!

Crowetron posted:

Thanks for the support, guys. You should probably send some gratitude Camel Pimp's way, tho. She reminded me this thread was still twitching. I had assumed it was resting peacefully in the archives.

And a thank to Camel Pimp.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
All hail the return of Crowetron!

All praise the divine Camel Pimp, she who returned our blessed Humor Lord to us! Praise her, praise her! :3:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

But remember Crowe. I am always in the wings. Watching. Waiting.

(please do finish)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Camel Pimp posted:

But remember Crowe. I am always in the wings. Watching. Waiting.

(please do finish)

Camel Pimp if you weren't female this would be incredibly creepy.

As it is... well, it's still incredibly creepy, now that I think about it.

But seriously, thanks for bringing this thread back to Crowetron's attention, and thanks to Crowetron for coming back instead of letting it die, or even locking it and forcing it to die.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Crowetron maybe it's a good thing you don't have PMs or else I bet a lot of people would've been bombarding you with messages, considering the turn this thread's taken. :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Hey, Crowetron, I just noticed something while rereading the update.

Crowetron posted:

Shield Ring is a hefty boost to physical defense. I guess you deflect blows while simultaneously flipping the bird.

You aren't by any chance a Dresden Files fan, are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ruby does actually look pretty feline in her full adult dragon form. Well done those graphic designers.

• Locked thread