Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My dreamsword is Holy Sword Excalibur from the relics in Botania. +30% Speed, +10 Damage base, and I believe shoots lasers on swing sometimes. Who needs a bow when you have LASER BEAAAMS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

SugarAddict posted:

I get sick of having to transform back into a Steve? after I kill something and I get transformed

Directory: Modpack\config\Morph.cfg
Lines 162-166
code:
# Will you insta-morph into a new morph acquired?
    # 
    # Min: 0
    # Max: 1
    I:instaMorph=0
Set that to 0 to disable that behavior.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ciaphas posted:

Garden of Glass again, how do I get my nether portal lit up? I can't make flint without an alchemy catalyst, and that needs blaze rods, which needs actual blazes from the actual nether, near as I can tell.

(edit) Am I gonna have to spawn another blaze and hope like hell he sets the portal on fire? :effort:

Make fire charges (from vanilla). Coal+gunpowder+blaze powder.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I first used Morph sometime last year or so with Never Stop Toasting and I don't remember ever being morphed automatically...

Edit: oh, config changes.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 22, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I've done something horrible

I need like hundreds of Tutamen for Totem of Dawn production and this is the result

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I hate to tell you this but you can transmute rotten flesh to leather using a Botania alchemy catalyst. Also your field is wonderful.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I don't have a mob grinder setup =/ I should probably make one though! I've definitely cleared enough space to get vanilla mobs. It's actually kind of inconvenient, I've gotten used to being able to ignore the day/night cycle as long as I'm in a clean area

E: Aaand one horrific massacre later, I have ~400 Leather and like 600 Beef :stare:

and still a metric shitload of cows

E2: Cows, your sacrifice was not in vain, cause it just lead to half a dozen Dawn Totems :getin:

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 22, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I find myself without a good source of green slime? I haven't gotten any cactus and I can't find any jellyfish :(

That's a cool cow field though. I'm converting my setup to void jars right now because I need a ton of various aspects but I don't want the junky shite, thankfully I have a ton of vulcanite for blaze powder. Once I get production going though, I can get my tree farm going and start converting mana to ae so I can support a storage network. Then I can finally downsize all this crate sprawl!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah I definitely need to make more void jars, I have like four stacks of ignis phials from rendering potentia down to ignis and ordo. I should probably look into finally making an AE network as well, I should have enough power generation to support it.

Some experimental data that might help other people - 30 Endoflames are not quite consuming everything I'm producing from a ~120 square tree farm. Looks like four trees per Endoflame, on average, is enough to keep them fed indefinitely if you don't have losses from using charcoal to smelt (also, I have some losses from stuff falling outside of the Hopperhock's 6 square radius, cause I'm not feeding it mana - I'm not sure how much mana they cost, or if it's a constant cost or a per-item cost, but I don't want to deal with redistributing mana farm enough to feed one. I might throw some Hydroangeas underground to feed it though). Not sure yet how much it'll take before the Infernal Furnace becomes my production chokepoint, but considering with Ignis it spits out around two items per second, I'm guessing it'll be around 80 Endoflames before I need another furnace to keep up.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 22, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Directory: Modpack\config\Morph.cfg
Lines 162-166
code:
# Will you insta-morph into a new morph acquired?
    # 
    # Min: 0
    # Max: 1
    I:instaMorph=0
Set that to 0 to disable that behavior.

Thanks for the info.

Taffer posted:

The desert is loaded with certus quartz, go there. Diamonds are everywhere at vanilla quantities, so just go to y11 and dig with a hammer and you should find a few eventually. Remember to put lapis on your tools.

Pickaxe of the core mine a 3x3 area, and you can put repair 2, fortune 3, and whatever else you want to put on it after you get an osmotic enchanter.

McFrugal posted:

Enderium makes the best swords. FYI. 14 base damage. You should definitely put moss on it though since Enderium has a sneaky hidden Stonebound modifier.

I only use swords for getting xp and looting 3 for more stuff off of tainted NPCs. Chain lighting shock focus for everything.

As for excess stuff, either I crystallize it or empty the jars, I haven't made any void jars yet, crystallizes I think take 2 CV a tick.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 22, 2015

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

TyreForHyre posted:

Man That's another nail in the coffin for Open Blocks for me. I think the only thing it has going for me now is the XP shower/grate which plays nice when you need quick and easy mob essence for MFR.

Don't forget elevators. I haven't found any easier ways to move between floors.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Talonos just released 2.1.2. The big thing was liberal hacks applied to Cooking for Blockheads, which turned out to be pretty crashy in practice.

quote:

-Cooking for Blockheads updated to 1.0.54-mt3
---Fixes several major crashes, including one that corrupts worlds.
-ReqCredit updated to 1.2.9
---Fixes a few minor localization errors.
-Spice of Life updated to 1.2.4
---Fixes a few dupe issues I never found.
---Makes nutrient bars work as advertised.

Recipe Changes:

-Mossball recipe made easier to peRform
-Hotdog recipe changed so it won't make Cooking for Blockheads crash.
-Cooking for Blockheads Vol. 2 recipe fixed.
-Thaumonomicon entry for Dawn Machine fixed to remove colored text. This will make it harder to read for some, but prevent crashes for others.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Or the Fan, which is a super way to push mobs around with all sorts of utilities.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Translocation Plates from Thermal Expansion add their own versions of elevators that can be configured to teleport you in any direction through walls/floors, if I recall correctly.

Mzbundifund posted:

Or the Fan, which is a super way to push mobs around with all sorts of utilities.
You got me on that one, the only other mob moving devices I can think of (minus water and the various plates from TE) are the Conveyor Belts from MFR and Extra Utilities.
MFR ones are nice because they can be controlled with redstone, however mobs can't spawn on top of them, which makes mob towers a bit more inefficient spacewise.
Extra Utilities belts are nice because mobs -can- spawn on them, however they can't be turned off with redstone directly, though I guess you could just use a simple piston blocker system if you need to get into a grinder and clean out the spiders or something.

TyreForHyre fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 23, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

EnderIO has a very similar but more flexible block, the travel anchor. You can look at any other travel anchor within range and jump, and you'll teleport there. You can put them directly on above/below each other to almost exactly replicate the elevator.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TyreForHyre posted:

Translocation Plates from Thermal Expansion add their own versions of elevators that can be configured to teleport you in any direction through walls/floors, if I recall correctly.

Taffer posted:

EnderIO has a very similar but more flexible block, the travel anchor. You can look at any other travel anchor within range and jump, and you'll teleport there. You can put them directly on above/below each other to almost exactly replicate the elevator.

Both of these are pretty nifty. I honestly prefer translocation plates. Using them to create paths gives a more "finished" feel to me, but the travel anchors are still incredibly useful and are much better for long distance (I.e.: house to mine)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thyrork posted:

FINALLY. Good lord TC had a monopoly on that for far too long.

The mod EnderTech (A very good mod) has something that does this, except it only works along planes, so if you use it on the floor it will go across the floor and not under it, same for the wall etc. You can configure the radius of it too, from a single block to a huge area. It is good.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 23, 2015

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
Thaumcraft/essentia tubing question:

I'm trying to start making etherial blooms, and I can't seem to make it work. The Bloom recipe takes four kinds of essentia. I put down four warded jars, put enough essentia in them, hook them all up to tubes, and tell the alcemical construct to do its thing. Nothing happens, except colored smoke comes out of the tubes. After waiting a bit, I look this up on the wiki, and it says that is what happens when a tube tries to grab more than one type of essentia at a time, and that it is gummed up. So I am thinking that I need to have each flavor of essentia piped through separate unconnected pipes. However, with the shape of the automated alchemy thing, I don't see how I can have more than three unconnected tubes entering it. I'm sure there is something that I'm not getting, but I can't figure out what it is.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ducttape posted:

I'm trying to start making etherial blooms, and I can't seem to make it work. The Bloom recipe takes four kinds of essentia. I put down four warded jars, put enough essentia in them, hook them all up to tubes, and tell the alcemical construct to do its thing. Nothing happens, except colored smoke comes out of the tubes. After waiting a bit, I look this up on the wiki, and it says that is what happens when a tube tries to grab more than one type of essentia at a time, and that it is gummed up. So I am thinking that I need to have each flavor of essentia piped through separate unconnected pipes. However, with the shape of the automated alchemy thing, I don't see how I can have more than three unconnected tubes entering it. I'm sure there is something that I'm not getting, but I can't figure out what it is.

Answer: AE2 with Thaumic Energistics. Tell Thaumcraft's lovely pipes to go gently caress themselves.

Until then, you can break unwanted connections between pipes by right clicking on them with a wand. Also there's another nozzle on the top you can use.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you boop a tube connection with a wand you can disconnect it. You can hook up seven separate connections in theory, two on each side but the front and one on top

E: bah didn't see someone had answered

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ducttape posted:

You can have six connections to the alchemical construct. You can break connections between pipe blocks by hitting them with your wand. You can expand this as well with the use of buffers. If you put a buffer on a connection point you can attach another four pipes to that buffer and it will pull from those seperately and inject it into the construct. I like to do this for some automation jobs.

Buffers are in fact fantastic for a lot of things, learn to use them as well as restricted pipes. The only problem with pipes is that it tends to be it's ugly as hell.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
Hey all, I haven't played Minecraft in like 3 years and am looking to give it another go. I played the hell out of vanilla so I'm going modded, but since it's been so long I'm totally overwhelmed by the number of mods and now modpacks that are available.

That said, I'm looking for a modpack that is reasonably lightweight (mostly so I don't have to learn a billion things at once), with a machinery, electricity, and construction focus. Stuff like IC2, Thermal Expansion, and BuildCraft, redstone mods, etc. Is there anything out there that fits the bill?

It looks like Tekkit has most of the things I could ask for, should I just go with that?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

You can have six connections to the alchemical construct.

You can also get a trasvector interface for more sides.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

deptstoremook posted:

Hey all, I haven't played Minecraft in like 3 years and am looking to give it another go. I played the hell out of vanilla so I'm going modded, but since it's been so long I'm totally overwhelmed by the number of mods and now modpacks that are available.

That said, I'm looking for a modpack that is reasonably lightweight (mostly so I don't have to learn a billion things at once), with a machinery, electricity, and construction focus. Stuff like IC2, Thermal Expansion, and BuildCraft, redstone mods, etc. Is there anything out there that fits the bill?

It looks like Tekkit has most of the things I could ask for, should I just go with that?

Blightfall is not what you're asking for but I bet it is what you want.

It has a pretty wide selection of mods but it eases you into them via a quest system. Plus it has something resembling an actual plot and an overarching goal while still being sandboxy.

It has somewhat of a magic focus in the sense that you are a person coming from a technologically advanced civilization and you have to learn to work with magic, but this also leads to finding technological solutions to magical problems, like using MFR and Thermal Expansion to produce glass milk jugs for Sano essentia.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 23, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Clairetic posted:

Blightfall is not what you're asking for but I bet it is what you want.

It has a pretty wide selection of mods but it eases you into them via a quest system. Plus it has something resembling an actual plot and an overarching goal while still being sandboxy.

It has somewhat of a magic focus in the sense that you are a person coming from a technologically advanced civilization and you have to learn to work with magic, but this also leads to finding technological solutions to magical problems, like using MFR and Thermal Expansion to produce glass milk jugs for Sano essentia.

There's an alchemical boiler for producing essential from liquids so you don't have to actually bottle milk, but you might want to anyways for food crafting.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

deptstoremook posted:

If you want to learn mods, there's a modpack on the Technic Launcher called Baby's First Space Race where the whole point is to guide you through the cooler features of tech mods before turning you loose on the world.

As much as I am enjoying Blightfall, if you've never messed with any mods before you'll probably be quite overwhelmed, I wouldn't recommend it unless you like that sort of thing.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Where can I find glowstone in Blightfall?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Flying islands. There's three on the map: Far northwest, just south of biodome-beta (southwest-ish), and east.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
I didn't think I'd enjoy Blightfall since I'm usually a bit of a wimp with Minecraft stuff, but, gently caress, this is fun.

I got lucky and nabbed a Fusewood sapling, and now that I'm teching up a bit, it's making for a nice crossbow- does anyone have a good idea for early game bolts, since I'm super material low (as in, haven't ventured far from Beta yet). I'm assuming iron tipped, since that's the best I have, but.. Iron core, I guess? Not sure what else would work well.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

OmniBeer posted:

I didn't think I'd enjoy Blightfall since I'm usually a bit of a wimp with Minecraft stuff, but, gently caress, this is fun.

I got lucky and nabbed a Fusewood sapling, and now that I'm teching up a bit, it's making for a nice crossbow- does anyone have a good idea for early game bolts, since I'm super material low (as in, haven't ventured far from Beta yet). I'm assuming iron tipped, since that's the best I have, but.. Iron core, I guess? Not sure what else would work well.

Iron-Iron will work well enough since it's so cheap; iron's loving everywhere, when I stopped I had like 5 stacks of iron despite regularly using it and not even a single full stack of anything else. Honestly though a big issues are more that the bolts you get for a stack is reduced, the experience you need to level up anything for more slots (including bolts) is dramatically increased and moss is rare so no regenerating stacks.

I suggest rushing Thaumcraft if you can, get a CV setup running and get yourself a shock focus for your combat. No burning resources or carrying four stacks of iron bolts.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

OmniBeer posted:

I've been rolling with Fusewood cores because why not, right? Same durability as Iron I think and only needs 70% normal XP to level up.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Edminster posted:

I've been rolling with Fusewood cores because why not, right? Same durability as Iron I think and only needs 70% normal XP to level up.

Fusewood cores are actually better. You want a lightweight core with a high handle multiplier.

I think the best bolts you can get are pink slime core, enderium "head", slimeleaf fletching. Or does weight increase armor piercing on bolts? In that case you could use a thaumium core for an extra modifier. Or just in general, really. Quartz is GOOD on bolts.

Edit: Alright how the heck do I unlock the floating island scouting missions? There are scouting missions for those locations, right?
Edit2: Why oh why does the Cooking Table not interact with both sides of a double chest? I guess I have to craft some bigger chests of some sort.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 23, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
My strategy re: crossbows:

- Grind saplings at every available opportunity until you get one of the nice natura nether woods.
- Grind animal bags at every available opportunity until you get enough heatscar spiders to get 3 of their strings.
- Make a crossbow out of the wood and fire strings, shear the leaves to make fletching, use the wood to make the bolts, plus iron.
- This is awesome because you don't even need casts to do this, so gold isn't a blocker for this, just iron and a smeltery.

The result is a fast frigging long range sniper that will wipe out taintacles in 3 hits and is actually good enough to kill tainted hunters if you've got iron armor on.

You can't take on some of the nastier tainted named guys but you can absolutely do your scouting quests (with a couple notable exceptions) and maybe even raid a village.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I found two of the tainted scouts. Has anyone found all of them? Or knows how many there are?

FYI, the stories in the teaser can be tracked to correspond to real locations but I haven't found anything cool yet by doing so.

The first drop pod was sent somewhere in the forest SW of the swamp. The report says he was headed towards the jungle, so he must have been swimming towards it. The second drop pod got sent to one of the swamp islands. The third got sent NE of that in the plains where the northern meteor site is. The military scout group got sent to the desert obviously, and the cave mentioned at the end exists, it's in the northeasternmost hill I think. There's a spot where you can dig through just sand from the south side (they were moving north) to get into a little cave. There's nothing in it, but there's a little opening in the back of the hill that may imply that the scout dug his way out.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 23, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

You can't take on some of the nastier tainted named guys but you can absolutely do your scouting quests (with a couple notable exceptions) and maybe even raid a village.

I raided a village with a flint rapier and wooden armor, and I liked it. :colbert:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I understand that for practical purposes, TiC is still the weapon mod, but are there any that like... an armory mod I forget the name of try to bring in a similarly diverse group of weapons up to and including firearms? I like minecraft on its own terms well enough and TiC is a mod I really like, but there's something compelling about the idea of having a pump-action shotgun in a game like this. gently caress you, zombies, get off my lawn, click-clack.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I am currently trying to go through the floating city. I uh... it is a maze. And everything is trying to kill you. There was a really cool trap in the redstone shop too. When you open the chest, it opens the floor under you. Really clever. I am just grateful I had flight. This is going to be very difficult to fully cleanse. So many little nooks and crannies where taint can hide in and then spread again. Also so many guards. With bows. I did manage to get to the tree without using flight to go over the walls. This area looks like it took a lot of effort to make. So props to the person who designed it. It is fun to fight through.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Where is the light blue flower? I found the white ones in the city but I'd like to just grab the light blue and get out of dodge because I'm really sick of these snipers.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I just made a Jaded Amaranthus and skipped finding the light blue flowers, personally. If you're at the point where taking on the city for the white flowers is feasible, you can make an Amaranthus and just mass produce your own flowers (in my base screenshots, where there's a patch of really colorful stuff, that's my Amaranthus surrounded by magic flowers). Make a horn of the wild and gathering them all is trivial)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

I just made a Jaded Amaranthus and skipped finding the light blue flowers, personally. If you're at the point where taking on the city for the white flowers is feasible, you can make an Amaranthus and just mass produce your own flowers (in my base screenshots, where there's a patch of really colorful stuff, that's my Amaranthus surrounded by magic flowers). Make a horn of the wild and gathering them all is trivial)

I have to look through the botania book and see what I can make then. I've never really played with it before, the main thing I want is enough RF to power a storage network.