Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkmR_FNp1ng

Snipe with a new build!

EDIT: Have not gotten the mail announcing this yet, but the URL for the download is the same as previous updates

BRB pooping fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

You can separate roosters and hens. That is actually one of the most obvious things that most people have never thought of for games.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

BRB pooping posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkmR_FNp1ng

Snipe with a new build!

EDIT: Have not gotten the mail announcing this yet, but the URL for the download is the same as previous updates

Tame everything, have a terrific war menagerie!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
This alpha looks super awesome, neato!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OP updated, going to play the hell out of this one.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Haven't really played since before colonist schedules were in, are there any tips on them?

(Also a snake self tamed and was named Mikhail by the colonists :3:)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Is there Husbandry in this update? Like can I breed more muffalo?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I dunno if this a new thing or just that I've normally had good herbalists. If a colonist with lovely gardening skills tries to harvest he can and will fail the harvest and get absolutely nothing while destroying the plant. :psyduck:

That nearly killed my colony before I realized what was going on.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hihohe posted:

Apparently yes, captive/tamed animals do breed so you can absolutely do just this.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Hihohe posted:

This is what happened a month after I threw some chickens in a pen:

Didn't know there was an SA thread for this! Glad you're all liking the update :)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

When I backed this game in Kickstarter, I never envisioned war rhinos, pool tables, or hauling dogs. Now I wish I'd backed at a higher level, such a great game.

I haven't played in a revision or so, have there been any modifications to the endgame escape vehicle?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nope the escape ship was not touched as far as I know, every aspect of it is the same.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Flesh Forge posted:

Nope the escape ship was not touched as far as I know, every aspect of it is the same.

Cool. I've only ever managed to build it once, and that was before sappers.

Why am I not at home playing this right now? I should fix that.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Brave Mikhail perished fighting raiders.

Also after helping fighting off the raider my sow gave birth on the battlefield! (Pigs are great, easy to train and good for hauling.)

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
There needs to be a mod where you can grease pigs up with flammable oil then light them and watch as they run screaming and burning at the enemy a la Rome back in the day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, that's neat, just had a Thrumbo wander in. It's near impossble to tame but has a lifespan of about 220 years and hits real hard. Also its fur is super good and valuable.

I think you can get the horn off them but looking back, that might be a corpse operation whereas I just made it into burgers.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every single update of this game is loving amazing, has a game changing mechanic, and renews my interest. This is one of the best versions of this kind of game I've ever seen.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Jesus flash storms.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Alaan posted:

Jesus flash storms.

Ehh, fires just aren't the same without simulating every cubic meter of smoke and dropping to 1fps.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

And now to wait for EdB Interface to be updated. Dangit!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Inacio posted:

I legitimately can't play without EdB Prepare Carefully anymore. The randomized characters are just always so awful :(

Especially in the new version, I find they're either unable to haul, or their only good skill is social.

Surprisingly, Glittertech updated almost right away, which is odd because it took months for them to update to 11. Glittertech adds a bunch of really OP but also really expensive stuff, it feels like it adds a whole other tier of progression. It might not be for everyone, but I love it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I really wish selecting vanilla characters had a less random option, you have no real reason not to just reroll everybody a bunch of times until you get a good trio to embark with.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Flesh Forge posted:

I really wish selecting vanilla characters had a less random option, you have no real reason not to just reroll everybody a bunch of times until you get a good trio to embark with.

A perverse interest in watching the three spoiled nobles/actors/whoever that happened to be in first class and survive the crash all die a slow death by starvation because they refuse to do any work.

I really think "cannot do simple tasks" is the stupidest character modifier. Would be better if they just did it slowly and stopped periodically to bitch.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Pigs are seriously great, easy to train to haul and if you give free range of the home area they'll do it fairly often. Very useful when they are the only healthy ones after a raid.
E;

Inacio posted:

What does edb do for starting out then? I've never used it.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 23, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I just downloaded the new version and played for the first time in 4 months. I had forgotten how hard it can be to get started. I didn't look at the health tab and I ended up with two starting colonists that had cataracts in both eyes and bad backs.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I was having a great time, then turtles went crazy and killed everyone. Turtles should definitely not be as powerful as they are now, their bites are too strong and their shells are too protective.

Silver lining to this at least, it means that we can now tame them and use turtles as an overpowered army. Iguanas are also very powerful.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I was having a great time, then turtles went crazy and killed everyone. Turtles should definitely not be as powerful as they are now, their bites are too strong and their shells are too protective.

Silver lining to this at least, it means that we can now tame them and use turtles as an overpowered army. Iguanas are also very powerful.

Yeah they would be great, assuming by the time the tortoises get to battle it isn't over.

Tame boomrats and boomalopes, make sure you train them in release and keep them living outside the colony.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Geokinesis posted:

What does edb do for starting out then? I've never used it.

It basically gives you the dwarf fortress options. You choose skills, traits, gear, and starting stuff before you embark. It either balances (somewhat) on a point system so you have to stay reasonable, or you can uncheck that box and have your pile of all 20s space marines land on the planet.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

Yeah they would be great, assuming by the time the tortoises get to battle it isn't over.

Tame boomrats and boomalopes, make sure you train them in release and keep them living outside the colony.

Issue that makes them too powerful is that they arent actually that slow. Admittedly, my guy was 82 years old, but he still couldn't run away from the turtle. The game is so great though, and I'm honestly happy with it as it is. If in 6 months time Tynan decides that he's had enough, I'll be alright with it. Certainly got my money's worth.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Pigs apparently take forever to gestate. I'm wondering if it's faster/cheaper from a meat perspective to raise chickens?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
In case you weren't religiously refreshing the mod forum, Edb Prepare carefully has updated.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Kris xK posted:

In case you weren't religiously refreshing the mod forum, Edb Prepare carefully has updated.

As has ModOrder

For the lazy:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.0

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7454.0

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Alright, question on animals. Is there any way to force them to eat? My female wargs become pregnant and then stop eating which causes them to miscarry. I have meat available. I see the male wargs eating it. THE FEMALE WARG IS WANDERING AROUND IN MY FREEZER SLOWLY FREEZING TO DEATH AROUND MOUNDS OF MEAT.

Just... not quite sure what to do.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Considering the meat is in a freezer, is it forbidden?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Is there a good quick intro/tutorial you guys would recommend? There's so many menus and buttons I'm just overwhelmed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The in game tutorial should get you going.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Prepare Carefully really makes it obvious how few backstories are available to female colonists. Isn't that kind of weird?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

euphronius posted:

The in game tutorial should get you going.

There's not much of it.....

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Lorini posted:

There's not much of it.....

Na, i guess most of us have learned trough trial and error. You will loose colonies, over and over again. Just let it be a learning experience. If you want to take it easy, start with phoebe, easy and a temperate map.

A few tips, others might have differing opinions. This is how i do it anyways:
Build a house for your three pawns with sleeping spots. Make one growingzone, plant strawberries(they do not carry the raw food-penalty) When the house is done and they have a roof over their heads, build three rooms/houses for them. After that is done and you have a bed in each one, convert your first house into a kitchen, build a stove and a butchingtable. Top it off with one or two ACs, set them for freezing. Make a stockpile in your kitchen, only allow raw food and dead animals. Build a diningroom.

That is the start i always seems to gravitate towards. Having my food in the same area as my stove and butchertable seems to cut down on traveltime for my chefs, they might be cold tho, just see to it that your chef have clothes. This , sadly , rules out nudist chefs.
After this i often try to get some kind of production going, and get my tradebeacon/comms-console up.

EDIT: speel not gud
EDIT2: Saw that i forgot, you need a common stockpile and one dumpingstockpile. The stockpile in your kitchen, dont forget to allow cooked meals.

BRB pooping fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As a slight amendment, Corn also does not have the raw food penalty but keeps much longer than strawberries do, takes longer to grow though.

If you only have poor soil (gravel and similar) then potatoes grow better in that, if you have Rich Soil deposits or hydroponics, Rice grows very fast in both of those.