Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Gameboy Zelda games are crippled by only having two buttons and you have to go in and out of your inventory constantly to switch items. Which is a shame because they have so many other good things going for them.

I would buy all three game boy Zelda games again if they just used the 4 ds buttons and made that easier. They're all really good games though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

In Training posted:

I would buy all three game boy Zelda games again if they just used the 4 ds buttons and made that easier. They're all really good games though

Same here. That is a remake/modernisation that I feel Nintendo should seriously consider, along with the original NES Zelda. Those games are simple and charming enough (but also deep enough) to perhaps earn some new fans that would perhaps branch out into the other Zelda titles.

I wouldn't mind having a few more Item buttons in LttP, either, and that's my favourite Zelda ever, period.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
No reason to replay the old Zeldos

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It'd be nice to have more item slots, but the menu shuffling doesn't really bother me at all. It's actually better than the later Minish Cap since that has the exact same system, except that your sword is permanently locked in as your B Button item.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Motto posted:

It'd be nice to have more item slots, but the menu shuffling doesn't really bother me at all. It's actually better than the later Minish Cap since that has the exact same system, except that your sword is permanently locked in as your B Button item.

The sword isn't locked to the b button in Minish Cap

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

No reason to replay the old Zeldos

die moron

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Fungah! posted:

die moron

Don't you mean Goron

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I don't know if you should replay Zeldas but at least you should play the important ones at least once.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

There are people here who will tell you not to play the original Legend of Zelda and they are hosed up and stupid.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Augus posted:

The sword isn't locked to the b button in Minish Cap

oh right, whoops.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

There are people here who will tell you not to play the original Legend of Zelda and they are hosed up and stupid.

It's challenging and obtuse in today's climate, but he'll, it's an absolute classic.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

ic ould probably never play it again but god drat is it a good game

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

The original Legend of Zelda is far from my favorite game in the series, but it is fun to just wander around in that game and explore.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

codenameFANGIO posted:

however those who tell you not to play Zelda II are good people looking out for you

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
But then how will you recognize the Sages' names in Ocarina of Time

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

zelda 2 gets an unfair rap imo, it's not as good as the first one but it's cool that they were willing to gently caress with the basic game mechanics as much as they were and they do some cool stuff. maybe not a classic but it's at least vewry good

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
They should make a 3D Zelda II like they made a 3D SUper Mario

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Only sometimes, tbf.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, NOA is including download codes for Mario vs. DK games with cheap licensed Mario junk at Walmart - lunchboxes, backpacks, etc. It's all ~$10 crap so you're basically getting the codes for free with the gear. Weird.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm going to buy the stuff for the game

then return it :devil:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

noirstronaut posted:

I'm going to buy the stuff for the game

then return it :devil:

No you aren't.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I know, I don't like Mario v DK games. I'm sorry I lied to you all.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Does Advance Wars 2 local multiplayer work like the first where you can pass around the Wii U controller?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fungah! posted:

zelda 2 gets an unfair rap imo, it's not as good as the first one but it's cool that they were willing to gently caress with the basic game mechanics as much as they were and they do some cool stuff. maybe not a classic but it's at least vewry good

It's the best NES knife fight simulator I know of. It's nothing like the other Zelda games and it's really difficult but it's difficult in a way where it's really satisfying once you get past something that gave you trouble.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Watrick posted:

Does Advance Wars 2 local multiplayer work like the first where you can pass around the Wii U controller?

Yes. If you have multiple controllers you don't even have to do that, the inputs all go to the same place. It's hard for fog of war to work too well when everyone's using the same screen, but it's still really fun

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 27):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Devil's Third - €59.99 / £49.99 (August 28)
    Disney Infinity 3.0: Play Without Limits - €19.99 / £16.49 until September 5, standard price €29.99 / £24.99
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Q.U.B.E.: Directors' Cut - €7.99 / £7.19 until September 14, standard price €9.99 / £8.99
    Life of Pixel - €9.99 / £8.99
    Stone Shire - €4.99 / £4.20 until September 26, standard price €7.99 / £7.00[/i]
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Devil's Third - "Golden Eggs" currency IAP
  • 1 Golden Egg - €0.49 / £0.49
  • 10 Golden Eggs - €3.49 / £3.59
  • 25 Golden Eggs - €6.99 / £6.29
  • 50 Golden Eggs - €12.99 / £11.69
  • 100 Golden Eggs - €19.99 / £17.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS

Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £5.99 until August 27
    Darksiders 2 (Wii U) - €12.49 / £9.99 until August 27
    Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 from August 27-September 3
    Abyss (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until September 17
    99moves (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until September 17
    Rock Zombie (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until September 17

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    3D Gunstar Heroes - €4.99 / £4.49
    Cube Creator 3D - €7.50 / £5.25
    Hazumi - €2.69 / £1.99 (permanent price reduction)
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Senran Kagura 2 Additional Character - Murasame - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 21
    Bit Boy!! ARCADE (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until August 27
    PUZZLEBOX setup (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until August 27
    Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS eShop) - €14.99 / £13.49 from August 27-September 3
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.35 until September 3
    Hotel Transylvania (3DS) - €4.99 / £4.49 until September 3
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.59 / £4.99 until September 3
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.59 / £4.99 until September 3
    Real Heroes: Firefighters 3D (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until September 3
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until September 17
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Tons of games across Wii U, 3DS and Wii! - list here, rewards page here. Ends September 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR68oAtWY-c

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
UK people, this site has the Mario vs DK: Minis on the Move / Minis March Again retail pack for £11.85 - it's a codes-in-a-box deal but it's still the cheapest way to get both games: http://www.simplygames.com/p/mario-and-donkey-kong-minis-on-the-move--mario-vs-donkey-kong-minis-march-again-download-codes-box-nintendo-3ds

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It's going to be difficult to choose between Devil's Third and Senran Kagura 2.

I still have to pick up Gunstar Heroes actually. Despite being a Mega Drive kid, I've never played it.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

irlZaphod posted:

It's going to be difficult to choose between Devil's Third and Senran Kagura 2.

I still have to pick up Gunstar Heroes actually. Despite being a Mega Drive kid, I've never played it.

Get on it right now. It's almost as brilliant as Rocket Knight Adventures.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I'm surprised how good Gunstar is. it's very fair for a shooter and you can keep improving to do better when you fail

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is Devil's Third coming in NA this week as well?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

In Training posted:

Is Devil's Third coming in NA this week as well?

Probably not, since we aren't in the fourth quarter yet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

First Yoshi now Devil's Third. This is madness.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Augus posted:

Link's Awakening is great but it isn't perfect. It has some stupid poo poo in it like having to read text every time you get near a rock without equipping the power bracelet, or having to climb up a mountain again because you made a wrong turn into a hole in the ground that flushes you down to the bottom, or one-way paus in dungeons that force you to take roundabout routes just to get back where you were (the final dungeon kinda sucks). It has a unique atmosphere though that makes the game really memorable

Oracle of Seasons and Ages are probably the most solidly-designed Zelda games overall, in terms of pure gameplay. They're a lot of fun to play
I recently played through Ages for the first time. I enjoyed it overall but some of the stuff between dungeons annoyed me. Like they shouldn't give you such an open-ended approach to things, but then bottleneck your progress through events that trigger when you revisit an arbitrary part of the map. And speaking of the map, TWO fairly large world maps is too much to deal with in a portable game IMO. I think a more focused scope would've worked better. Maybe it's my own fault for playing the game on-and-off over a long period of time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

As a kid I liked Ages the most because
1) it was the one I owned and
2) it was more puzzle oriented than action so I got to feel superior about playing the "smart person's" Zelda.
Looking back on it now though I realize that almost the entire back half of Ages sucks balls. Crown Dungeon is poo poo, though that may be more because of the music. Mermaid's Cave is one of the worst dungeons in Zelda history. Jabu-Jabu's Belly combines the fun of being the second water-based dungeon in a row and Water Temple style water level puzzles in a 2D game.

Ages blows.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All 2D Zeldas are inherently superior to the 3D Zeldas.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
All mainline Zeldas are great, except the two DS ones which if we're being generous are only half good (the dungeon parts).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked Phantom Hourglass a lot. Never played Spirit Tracks though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Kaubocks posted:

Ages blows.

I almost threw in the towel after the stupid Goron rhythm minigame that you have to play to proceed, but instead I gave up half an hour after that because I think I've only been in one, maybe two fun dungeons and everything else kinda sucks. Link's Awakening beats the pants off this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

In Training posted:

I liked Phantom Hourglass a lot. Never played Spirit Tracks though.

I got like maybe halfway or 2/3 through spirit tracks? I got sick of the train gimmick and found it annoying to play train pacman with the evil trains just to get to the next dungeon.