Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dandywalken posted:

Are people still looking forward to the PoE expansion? Seems the thread's kind of gone dour with the whole Fig thing :ohdear:

I'm still excited, but like a lot of people I'm going to wait till part two to replay everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

SoggyBobcat posted:

This is such a stupid conspiracy theory. Why would Bethesda risk tanking sales with bad word of mouth and poor reviews? And it's not like Bethesda's QA for their own games is any better.

You're speaking as if we live in a world where game publishers don't make stupid, short-sighted, greedy decisions all the time.

Take a look at the development history/quality/reception of some of Bethesda's previously published titles, particularly Star Trek: Legacy, Rogue Warrior, Brink, and Hunted: The Demon's Forge (Fargo had some bitter things to say about this one).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SoggyBobcat posted:

This is such a stupid conspiracy theory. Why would Bethesda risk tanking sales with bad word of mouth and poor reviews? And it's not like Bethesda's QA for their own games is any better.

Like Arkham Knight on PC?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

a slim pixie posted:

You're speaking as if we live in a world where game publishers don't make stupid, short-sighted, greedy decisions all the time.
Take a look at the development history/quality/reception of some of Bethesda's previously published titles, particularly Star Trek: Legacy, Rogue Warrior, Brink, and Hunted: The Demon's Forge (Fargo had some bitter things to say about this one).
I'd start by taking a good look at the QA work Bethesda has done for their own games. Honestly, if Bethesda intentionally did a bad QA job, then it was indistinguishable from a good QA job from Bethesda. FO3 was just as buggy (if not more) at launch.
The whole notion that Bethesda intentionally sabotaged New Vegas to get a lower review score is just nonsense. A publisher wants to sell games. It's how they make money. A lower review score in their eyes could mean less sales or even damage the fallout brand leading to less sales for future games in the series. Publishers want high review scores.

The reason New Vegas didn't score as high as FO3 was because for example F:NV didn't have a spectacle in the same way as FO3 did (the latter's mainquest starts fast-paced and has an early climax where you shoot nukes at a behemoth, while the former takes a while to get going).
F:NV also didn't have increased graphical whatsits over FO3 and only relatively minor gameplay improvements, leading to many dismissing it as just as expansion. And off course while bugs are laughed away as irrelivent in reviews for games by for example Bethesda, they are naturally a great sin when reviewing an Obsidian developed game.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 20, 2015

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

CottonWolf posted:

I'm still excited, but like a lot of people I'm going to wait till part two to replay everything.

I'm in a slightly different boat. I got about 3/4 of the way thru the game but life kicked in and I haven't played video games since April. Now I'm freeing up and Hey! Expansion! Perfect to start over and play the game with :)

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So, yeah, Thaos on PotD. I didn't have issues with a lot of encounters on this run but I keep getting my rear end handed to me on this one. I just can't deal enough damage to kill the statues. The way I see it you have to choose between buffing your party and debuffing the enemies, while still eating the damage that these assholes are dealing. And I can't seem to find the right combination.

My party is: Paladin (tank), Barbarian, Cipher, Wizard, Chanter and Priest. I have 4 summoning items (Shades, Beetles, Adra Beetle and Drakes). I tend to fight on the northern part of the platform because at least here I can tunnel a bit of the enemies. I start the fight by moving everyone there, summon the Adra Beetle to block the second statue to reach the backlines, get Blights up on Aloth, have the Priest cast either a Circle of Defense or that +Acc +Might level 1 buff. Second round of actions my tank and Barbarian are usually on their rear end because of this bullshit Prone attack from one of the statue, half-dead because of that Pillar of Fire attack from Thaos (unless he decided to buff the statues to the gills where all their defenses are 170+); I get Aloth or my Cipher to use a Scroll of Paralysis (which may or may not land). Then if it goes well I start getting the statues down to 3/5 of life, but Thaos heals them faster than I can kill and then it's a vicious circle that ends in my dying. Summoning Ogres helps a lot as they distract the second statue but that doesn't save the fight.

The issue I see with this strat is that my party is quite grouped together so that's not good to parry Thaos' Pillar attack, but the alternative is to have them rushed by Thaos (his melee isn't too bad either) and if I spread them too much then some of them tend to be too far to attack the statues. So I'm not sure what's the proper way to approach this. One thing I didn't do before ragequitting was to fight on the Southern side of the platform, so that it's not the Prone statue that'll be near my party.

Debuffing doesn't seem very effective. I mean, they have 170+ Will when Thaos is done buffing them so I'm not even sure which spell to attempt since they are all cast against that stat.

Any tip?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Scorchy posted:

Hmm shouldn't it be on pre-order on Steam by now

I'm pretty sure rope kid has said they aren't doing pre-orders for the expansions.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Furism posted:

So, yeah, Thaos on PotD. I didn't have issues with a lot of encounters on this run but I keep getting my rear end handed to me on this one. I just can't deal enough damage to kill the statues. The way I see it you have to choose between buffing your party and debuffing the enemies, while still eating the damage that these assholes are dealing. And I can't seem to find the right combination.

My party is: Paladin (tank), Barbarian, Cipher, Wizard, Chanter and Priest. I have 4 summoning items (Shades, Beetles, Adra Beetle and Drakes). I tend to fight on the northern part of the platform because at least here I can tunnel a bit of the enemies. I start the fight by moving everyone there, summon the Adra Beetle to block the second statue to reach the backlines, get Blights up on Aloth, have the Priest cast either a Circle of Defense or that +Acc +Might level 1 buff. Second round of actions my tank and Barbarian are usually on their rear end because of this bullshit Prone attack from one of the statue, half-dead because of that Pillar of Fire attack from Thaos (unless he decided to buff the statues to the gills where all their defenses are 170+); I get Aloth or my Cipher to use a Scroll of Paralysis (which may or may not land). Then if it goes well I start getting the statues down to 3/5 of life, but Thaos heals them faster than I can kill and then it's a vicious circle that ends in my dying. Summoning Ogres helps a lot as they distract the second statue but that doesn't save the fight.

The issue I see with this strat is that my party is quite grouped together so that's not good to parry Thaos' Pillar attack, but the alternative is to have them rushed by Thaos (his melee isn't too bad either) and if I spread them too much then some of them tend to be too far to attack the statues. So I'm not sure what's the proper way to approach this. One thing I didn't do before ragequitting was to fight on the Southern side of the platform, so that it's not the Prone statue that'll be near my party.

Debuffing doesn't seem very effective. I mean, they have 170+ Will when Thaos is done buffing them so I'm not even sure which spell to attempt since they are all cast against that stat.

Any tip?

At the start of the fight immediately cast Eldritch Aim then Confusion with your Wizard on one of the statues to take him temporarily out of the picture. Send your main tank to down to Thaos to keep him occupied and hopefully lead him South, preferably with something like the consecrated ground boots to keep him alive – keep your squishies as far away from Thaos as humanly possible. Have your off-tank lead the non-confused statue and everyone else out of Thaos' and the confused statues' line of sight and then use your cipher (it's good to cast tactical meld before the fight) to spam mental binding on the non-confused statue and Thaos if your tank looks ropey. Priest should be debuffing/buffing constantly throughout the fight and your main goal should be to kill the first statue as fast as possible. Once you've got the first statue dead move on to the next one, and then Thaos himself shouldn't be hard providing you keep your squishies at range. Put confusion on the statue you're not attacking if it drops.

That's how I did it and I killed him the first time - had to look at youtube videos for the fight's gimmick.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 20, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Did they fix that one bugged trap that does like 10,000 raw damage?

Have each character put one of those down before the fight starts, should make it a bit easier. :v:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

GlyphGryph posted:

Did they fix that one bugged trap that does like 10,000 raw damage?

Have each character put one of those down before the fight starts, should make it a bit easier. :v:

There are some spells and traps that kill stuff below a certain %, are you thinking of those?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How does priest play as a main character? After many play throughs I've finally figured out that priests are more than just a force multiplying buff handler. Eothasian priests look the most appealing from a dialogue point but, Skaen rogue stuff and Magran gun priests look interesting as well. The only disadvantage is dropping durance since that crazy homeless guy has the best dialogue.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Durance is a good enough priest and an awesome enough character that I have never felt it worth making my PC a priest.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My PC was an Eothasian priest. The dialogue options were disappointingly scarce, there were maybe five or six instances where being a priest mattered and only two or three where being an Eothasian priest mattered.

Gameplay-wise having two priests (Durance forever) worked alright on Hard.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
^werong threeeed

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 20, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Boner Slam posted:

Why are there no normal, male portraits?

All of them are fat goons ????

Much like Shadowrun Returns, Obsidian gave away portraits as a reward for upper level backers. And seeing as most dorks are mediocre-looking dudes, this is what happens as a result.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
New video up about the other new companion, The Devil of Caroc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOelbKscr0

Her character model is pretty cool.

Furism fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 20, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Furism posted:

New video up about the other new companion, The Devil of Caroc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOelbKscr0

Her character model is pretty cool.
who equips a shield on a rogue what the gently caress ughh

I guess she seems okay otherwise. But seriously.

Furism posted:

Any tip?
I struggled a lot against Thaos on PotD, too. I think that there are three key aspects to this fight:
1. Hitting Thaos with anything is a long shot, not even my Rogue could dent him when he was fully buffed and landing a debuff is obviously hard. Accuracy buffs (on casters) are important, and Arcane Dampener can help a lot.
2. Cleansing Flame is his most dangerous spell. It's absolutely lethal and does enough damage over time that healing through it makes no sense, you'll lose too much health even if you manage to keep endurance up. Suppress Affliction can help, but I had no Priest and just the ring isn't enough. So I used my Druid's and Wizard's summons to draw fire. Summoning items obviously are also good for this, I played without them and this was the one fight that made me regret that.
3. The statues are threatening because of mass knockdown but are fairly manageable otherwise. To be honest I'm surprised you have much trouble controlling them, I usually at least got a graze on one when I targeted both with an AoE disable. Letting them come to me to make it easier to get them both at the same time is really the full extent of my strategy for those. They have a lot of endurance, so I'd make sure everyone is under the effects of Deleterious Alacrity of Motion and whatever else you got, but apart from that, I really never had a problem with the two even when I lost.

So yeah, my basic strategy for the fight was to keep Thaos occupied (with summons) while my party took care of the statues. After that it was just a matter of landing anything on Thaos, which can take a while if you're unlucky. In the end my Wizard got a one-two punch of Arcane Dampener and Gaze of the Adragan off, that will obviously solve everything, but it took some failed attempts, so conserving the good spells is important as well.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 20, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Wizard Styles posted:

who equips a shield on a rogue what the gently caress ughh

I guess she seems okay otherwise. But seriously.

I struggled a lot against Thaos on PotD, too. I think that there are three key aspects to this fight:
1. Hitting Thaos with anything is a long shot, not even my Rogue could dent him when he was fully buffed and landing a debuff is obviously hard. Accuracy buffs (on casters) are important, and Arcane Dampener can help a lot.
2. Cleansing Flame is his most dangerous spell. It's absolutely lethal and does enough damage over time that healing through it makes no sense, you'll lose too much health even if you manage to keep endurance up. Suppress Affliction can help, I had no Priest and used my Druid's and Wizard's summons. Summoning items obviously are also good for this, I played without them and this was the one fight that made me regret that.
3. The statues are threatening because of mass knockdown but are fairly manageable otherwise. To be honest I'm surprised you have much trouble controlling them, I usually at least got a graze on one when I targeted both with an AoE disable. Letting them come to me to make it easier to get them both at the same time is really the full extent of my strategy for those. They have a lot of endurance, so I'd make sure everyone is under the effects of Deleterious Alacrity of Motion and whatever else you got, but apart from that, I really never had a problem with the two even when I lost.

So yeah, my basic strategy for the fight was to keep Thaos occupied (with summons) while my party took care of the statues. After that it was just a matter of landing anything on Thaos, which can take a while if you're unlucky. In the end my Wizard got a one-two punch of Arcane Dampener and Gaze of the Adragan off, that will obviously solve everything, but it took some failed attempts, so conserving the good spells is important as well.

Is this pre-beta or post? Cause ummm he's pretty loving rough in the beta. I took a dip into it the other night when a friend was complaining and I took 30 minutes at it and took a break. Haven't been back yet.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
So I haven't played in a long time (since launch basically) are firearms viable now?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Rascyc posted:

Is this pre-beta or post? Cause ummm he's pretty loving rough in the beta. I took a dip into it the other night when a friend was complaining and I took 30 minutes at it and took a break. Haven't been back yet.
Uh...yeah, it's pre-beta.
I've got the GOG version so no way of testing if this still works for 2.0. Thaos with upgraded AI scares me.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Actually, now I'm curious, is there anything in particular that Thaos does now that he didn't before? Or just smarter targeting?

Also:

Apparition posted:

So I haven't played in a long time (since launch basically) are firearms viable now?
They got buffed (and Arbalests were nerfed) and are about equal to other ranged weapons now. A bit worse for sustained DPS than War Bows at least, but good for alpha striking potential.

Ranged weapons in general aren't amazing when it comes to damage output, though.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Shotgun rogues rule.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Rogue is the only class i haven't tried or had any companions as, with the new party AI can Rogue companions do all the sneak attacks on their own?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

You know I really like this game but sometimes poo poo is so loving stupid.

"Oh look I missed these three wolves with the giant cone of flame I cast that completely enveloped them standing directly in front of me. LMAO RNG *reloads last save*"

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Digital_Jesus posted:

"Oh look I missed these three wolves with the giant cone of flame I cast that completely enveloped them standing directly in front of me. LMAO RNG *reloads last save*"

You shouldn't think about it in those terms. It's like when my Rogue survives a Fireball completely unscathed due to his high Reflex save. It's not that he didn't feel the heat, it's, well...

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Digital_Jesus posted:

Target the lowest defence rather than the highest.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Been playing Shadowrun: Hong Kong for a few hours and it does a lot of the same things that PoE does with seemingly superfluous dialogues being recalled and challenged. Not quite in ways as significant as presented in PoE, but it feels like they took a few pages from the PoE handbook (though it goes back to KOTOR2, really) in terms of the game letting players retroactively write their characters' history and then giving those choices more serious consideration than anyone would normally expect.

I mean spergs can boo hoo hoo about Real Choice and Consequence as much as they want, but it's the little details that make an RPG actually fun to muck around in. It was inarguably ~80% of what made immersive sims like Deus Ex so incredible. It's nice to see that design come back in games of smaller scope.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Will there be new portraits in the expansion?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Where can you pre-order the expansion? I don't see it on steam yet :-S

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

alcaras posted:

Where can you pre-order the expansion? I don't see it on steam yet :-S
You can't right now, unless you got it as an add-on during the Kickstarter campaign.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Octo1 posted:

They should crowdsource.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I really wish the patch would release on GOG now so I could at least play up to Defiance Bay before the expansion drops.

Expecially because I have no real idea what I want to play and who I want to bring along (besides Sagani and the Devil of Caroc) so there'll probably be some restarts early on in Act I.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Octo1 posted:

Yeah, there are a small number of new portraits.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Octo1 posted:

Is every image on the internet not enough for you?

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
It is tough to find portraits that fit the various godlike head types while still being tasteful. The only ones that I really like are the Jason Seow ones because they are in the same style.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, half of the custom party I finished PotD with had Jason Seow portraits and I didn't realize it for the longest time because they just fit in so well.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
When can we purchase and preload The White March?

ALso wtf the WHITE March?! #BlackMarchesMatter

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Jastiger posted:

When can we purchase and preload The White March?

Two days until release. If there was going to be a preorder/preload, it would be available by now.

I assume it'll go on sale and be available for download the morning (PDT) of the 25th.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I have yet to make an all-player created custom party and it doesn't look like I'll be doing it anytime soon now that there's 2 new companions. It's going to be tricky keeping both a monk and rogue out of too much trouble, but I'm definitely going to try to have both in my party at the same time because they sound really interesting.

Also, I'm kind of bummed out that I've already played through as a paladin because the upcoming Perception/Accuracy changes and the already implemented 1.06 buffs seemed to have shore up a lot of the class's shortcomings. Oh well, I guess it'll be an excuse to do an evil Bleak Walker playthrough someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
I think I'd better wait till everything is sorted out. Releases only mean games are available to public.

Just a random thought but how about a festive factor like portrait contest for promotion although it must be too late for the expansion? Someone drew Cadegund and put it on the official board, which ended up attracting quite many people. If some people are not happy with putting another piece of amateur-made content, it can remain just as a pool for customized portraits with some loose recommendations. For either free lance professionals or indie game devs, such fame on the net won't harm too much.

rope kid posted:

The only reason it was ever opaque was because programming didn't implement the listed durations until patch 2.0. They were always intended to be displayed.
I see. It's nice to see I was not the only one who failed to figure it out. It's always good to know where devs' intentions lie and why they are not presented as intended since even just reasoning helps to understand the viewpoints of the others. I think it would help when Obsidian like to let another third party like individual investors on the table through fig, too. I understand the devs cannot reveal something confidential and something which can harm the final outputs, though.

• Locked thread