Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Is there a way to look through the most popular user-created Spotify playlists? All I see are Spotify-created playlists when I look through the popular playlists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
While we're asking questions: is there a way to view all the albums that have just been added to the service? The "New Releases" area offers only a very partial overview.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Not as far as I know. Following an artist on Spotify is not much help either, since it frequently won't notify you about a new release. Or an artist will have multiple new releases and it will just tell you the title of one of them. Good luck finding out what the other thing was! It's really a mess with the way albums come and go, albums being released on multiple labels or the new release just being a remastered version of the album.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

cloudchamber posted:

While we're asking questions: is there a way to view all the albums that have just been added to the service? The "New Releases" area offers only a very partial overview.

Try searching for 'tag:new'.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

Not as far as I know. Following an artist on Spotify is not much help either, since it frequently won't notify you about a new release. Or an artist will have multiple new releases and it will just tell you the title of one of them. Good luck finding out what the other thing was! It's really a mess with the way albums come and go, albums being released on multiple labels or the new release just being a remastered version of the album.

You might also want to look at http://app.swarm.fm, which lists new albums and concert dates from artists in your collection.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That's cool. It would be awesome if there was some way to integrate that directly into Spotify... if only there was a way!

On a less sarcastic note, I like how my Discover Weekly playlist has adapted to the genres I've been listening to in the past couple of weeks. I think I'm going to start saving a copy of each one to a playlist so I can look back and see the changes in my listening habits over time.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Stay Positive isn't on Spotify. The entire site is useless if I can't play Constructive Summer every day.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Count Chocula posted:

Stay Positive isn't on Spotify. The entire site is useless if I can't play Constructive Summer every day.

Is this a geographic issue? I'm listening to Constructive Summer right now on Spotify.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Still active on my login.

I cancelled Spotify to trial Apple Music for 3 months without paying for anything and I've already signed back up for Spotify fewer than 2 months later. Apple Music is okay but way too glitchy in iOS and I hate using iTunes. As bad as Spotify UI is at least the program's don't crash and don't require a bloated download with confusing menus.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I found Apple Music's UI to be way worse than Spotify.

That and the fact that iTunes Match suuuuuuuuucks convinced me to switch back.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
You can't underestimate the fact that most of your friends probably have Spotify, too (at least in my case) - the social aspect of easily sharing songs is pretty important IMO.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Above all else I need a web client because I move around sites often and can't/won't install loving iTunes everywhere. So spotify it will be.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah I want to stay with Apple Music but itunes on the desktop is such a piece of poo poo slow clunky app... the iOS Music app is much better

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I also switched back to Spotify from Apple Music the other day. As much as I love the seamless integration of my own MP3s with my cloud library, the whole app just doesn't work well enough for me to commit to it. Songs randomly pausing after being started (or not starting at all), offline songs cutting out partway through, refusing to add songs to my library because it thinks they're duplicates... maybe I'll come back in a few months and see if they've improved things, but for now I'm done.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Eight Is Legend posted:

You can't underestimate the fact that most of your friends probably have Spotify, too (at least in my case) - the social aspect of easily sharing songs is pretty important IMO.

almost everyone I know has Spotify, but no one I know really uses it to share songs. any time a friend is like "check out this song" it's always either Soundcloud or Youtube

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Is there anyway to check how often I've skipped a song in my playlists? Preferably one that includes my phone usage?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

Is there anyway to check how often I've skipped a song in my playlists? Preferably one that includes my phone usage?

Nope.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Does anyone know if Spotify tracks played via Sonos are reflected in the Discover Weekly playlist(s)?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

me your dad posted:

Does anyone know if Spotify tracks played via Sonos are reflected in the Discover Weekly playlist(s)?

I don't see why they wouldn't be - it's all Spotify.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

cloudchamber posted:

Added September 4th:

https://insights.spotify.com/uk/2015/09/04/new-release-sorting-hat/

quote:

Every week, music makers unleash thousands of new recordings on the world, most of which has yet to be reviewed, blogged about, analyzed, or even heard beyond their inner circle. If you’re excited by the freshest sounds the world has to offer, you’ve already found out how hard that is, especially if you’re looking for a particular kind of music. Named for the hat in the Harry Potter books and films, Spotify’s New Release Sorting Hat can help.

This “experimental attempt at an algorithmic organization of the week’s new releases,” as it’s described by creator and Spotify data alchemist Glenn McDonald, takes a fresh approach to the problem, with powerful implications for music fans who want to explore brand new music each week, delight their ears, and impress their friends by always seeming to be first to the party — in just about any genre.

To hear each week’s new releases sorted by genre, bookmark, share, and repeatedly visit Spotify’s New Release Sorting Hat, which updates each Friday (the new global release date) with the latest music to appear on the service.

http://everynoise.com/spotify_new_albums.html

saftsuse
Jul 9, 2007

Death in June
https://open.spotify.com/user/mariusbrorstad/playlist/0lsgWNDpw8YNl2fmdWxoqt follow my list, I'm pleased to meet you, I'm here to save your wife. 'Jus let me bandage-up. I made this and I'm proud. Did'nt see you get a LeBaron, Freddie.

saftsuse fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 8, 2015

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
A new way to show off how cool you are: "Found Them First".

https://spotify-foundthemfirst.com/en-GB

I was one of the first users to stream Ariana Grande and Iggy Azalea :smugbert:

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

illcendiary posted:

I got Ariana Grande too, and DJ Snake.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Ha, pretty cool. Broods, Tove Lo, Banks, BORNS

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

illcendiary posted:

I'm irrationally annoyed that it said I had not discovered any new artists, and then proceeded to give me a playlist with like 3 artists I listen to regularly.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Ugh...

Hozier, Glass Animals, Becky G, Meghan Trainor, Charli XCX, Iggy Azalea

I don't even know me anymore.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I got FKA Twigs and Run The Jewels.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Ha, that's fun! I "discovered" Neon Jungle, Say Lou Lou and Kiesza.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Sam Smith first streamed 22 May 2014 :(

I only have the one in my list.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I was one of the first to discover Major Lazer...... in 2013*. You know, you could have just told me I have no noteworthy discoveries. No need for pity results :colbert:

*Pon de Floor and their first album were released in 2009.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Ha, the funniest one for me was Lorde. I loved her so much the summer of 2013 but now I can't stand her. Not even hipster level "ugh, everyone loves her now," I just find her annoying.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Baauer (I rode the Harlem Shake wave HARD and BEAUTIFULLY)
Hozier
Major Lazer (Same as above - 2013, but I guess when he had Pon de Floor probably getting like a few hundred thousand streams, then he SUPER BLEW UP in the last year, it makes sense)
CHVRCHES
Charli XCX (Nuclear Seasons EP :whatup:)
Lucius

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Feeling unreasonably pleased about being in the first 2% of Tinashe listeners right now. I also got Lorde who I don't think I ever actually liked so I'm wondering how I ended up listening to her that early.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I haven't discovered poo poo.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Was not surprised that I was in the first 1% of users to listen to Mark Ronson. Record Collection is an incredibly underrated album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YPKUlNvTww

Also in the first 1% of users to listen to Jungle, which makes sense, considering that I spent like several weeks waiting for them to get their first single on Spotify.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tayter Swift posted:

Me too.

Except for Chet Faker, whom I wouldn't of listened to until after he got big in Australia so I'm pretty sure that doesn't count.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Tayter Swift posted:

me either.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SgtScruffy posted:

Major Lazer (Same as above - 2013, but I guess when he had Pon de Floor probably getting like a few hundred thousand streams, then he SUPER BLEW UP in the last year, it makes sense)

Don't wanna be that guy (who am I kidding, of course I do) but Major Lazer is three people

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I honestly thought Major Lazer was just Diplo at this point, never heard of these other dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Yeah, it was Diplo and Switch, but Switch left, so I thought it was just Diplo. If he picked up a few more people, I stand corrected

Edit: According to Wikipedia, it's Diplo, Jillionaire, and Walshy Fire

• Locked thread