Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Humankind has begun to mutate. While still a minority, mutants display a wide range of strange, bizarre, and sometimes terrifying abilities. Some are physically changed – scales, wings, claws, or strange colored skin – others look just like you or me.

Some mutants struggle to be accepted by the rest of humanity, while others rage against the discrimination of the so-called mundane humans. A Brotherhood has formed, a series of underground cells of mutant freedom fighters who will stop at nothing to right the wrongs against their fellow mutants. To the Brotherhood mutants are the next step of human evolution, a step toward perfection or perhaps even perfection itself, while mundanes are the Neanderthals, doomed for extinction. Many call the Brotherhood a terror organization, but they insist that mutants have nothing to fear from them.

In California there are politicians who are fighting for registration of mutants. You can’t background check a mutant before giving them the ability to murder people with a thought, so the best thing we can do, they say, is to form a registry of known mutants, and their abilities. There is opposition, but the idea is gaining traction among the public. Federally, the government has killed similar bills, but they are watching California with interest to see if such a thing works on the state level.

There are rumors of paramilitary organizations using mutants against other mutants, or of horrible experimentation done in the name of creating super soldiers. Secret societies bent on world domination for one side, or the other. These are just rumors. Right?

You are Jane “Zombie” Meyers, the twenty-eight year old leader of the Los Angeles area chapter of the Brotherhood of Mutants, a quasi-terrorist organization with separate cells around the country - even the world. You can take any amount of damage and keep going as long as you keeps your heart rate and adrenaline up. You have enhanced strength when high on adrenaline, as well. After your heart rate slows (sometimes due to loss of blood) you will fall into a death-like coma and your body repairs itself. This can take hours, or days, depending on the damage. You do not believe that you can be killed (barring falling into an industrial shredder, or decapitation and even then…? You aren’t in a hurry to test that theory, however).

[This is a setting that is basically Marvel’s X-Men, but without canon characters. There is no School for Gifted Children in New York. There may be a leader of ‘good’ mutants, but it is not Charles Xavier. There is no Magneto at the head of the Brotherhood. As a group it has no ‘head’, merely loosely connected cells each led regionally by different people. I have a loose plan, but ultimately we will craft this story together.]

Original Character creation choice:

quote:

1. You are:

A. "Angel" – a female mutant in her thirties. Angel has wings, echolocation, and is an assassin for a secret organization. OR IS SHE? Yes, she is. Or, not! I could tell you, but then she'd probably kill me, and then you.

B. Aimee “Creep” Connors – 16 yr old mutant street kid with purple skin, amber eyes, and the ability to climb up walls and across ceilings. She lives at a shelter for at-risk teens in the LA area after running away from the foster family she had been living with.

C. Anna Fernandez – 32 yr old mutant with ice creation and manipulation powers. She runs a shelter for at-risk mutant teens in the LA area, amidst threats from an anti-mutant gang. She has five brothers, all who are mutants as well.

D. Jane “Zombie” Meyers – 27 yr old mutant. Jane runs the LA chapter of the Brotherhood. She can take any amount of damage and keep going as long as she keeps her heart rate and adrenaline up. Jane has enhanced strength when high on adrenaline, as well. After her heart rate slows (sometimes due to loss of blood) she falls into a death-like coma and her body repairs itself. This can take hours, or days, depending on the damage. She does not believe she can be killed.

E. Jo “Roulette” Holloway – 24 yrs old, works in the forensics department of the LAPD. She has the ability to affect LUCK, with a pretty major catch. If she purposefully gives herself (or someone else) good luck, then she will get an equal amount of bad luck fairly soon afterward. She likes cats, and knitting.

Pick your character carefully (or not)! We may play as more than one character, from time to time. Additionally, all these characters will show up in some form whether we are controlling them or not.

Story Breaks - other POV chapters

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
E sounds nicely unpredictable.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

D sounds interesting!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

D

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

D

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

D could be fun

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

B

Nobody looks up, crawling on ceilings could be valuable

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I won't lie - D will be a lot of fun.

But then again, maybe running a terrorist organization means doing a lot of behind the scenes paperwork. :shrug:

Edit: these characters are pretty fleshed out in my mind as far as backstory, so feel free to ask any questions you may have!

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 23, 2015

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
D

I want to do paperwork.

Absum
May 28, 2013

What kind of wings does Angel have? Bat wings to go with the echolocation?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

F Spacewhale Sorry, wrong CYOA

D sounds fun. Let's get cracking on an MBA in our spare time so we can move up the organizational ladder.

Who says we have to be defined by our mutation, maybe our real power is our managerial qualities and our can-do attitude.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 23, 2015

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Absum posted:

What kind of wings does Angel have? Bat wings to go with the echolocation?

Yes, she has bat-like wings with clawed tips, and they are flesh colored. She can conceal them (to a point) under a trenchcoat if need be. She is not quite nocturnal, but she is definitely a night person.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
E: Mediocre Teela Brown. Cats and knitting! Cats and knitting sound great

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

C. Jane's pretty much guaranteed to get captured after a coma or two.

Absum
May 28, 2013

E. All of them are pretty neat but I wanna see how we deal with this power after all.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
C & D seem like the most interesting to me, though I guess B may still develop additional powers since she's so young? Either way, don't really want to play a teenager (again!).

So going to vote C, her powers are a cool, and hopefully her brothers are too!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
E. We can be a colossal jackass and soak up the luck and pratfall our way through life while everyone around us falls through open sewer grates.

Do we decide how we effect luck? Or is it'Other people are luckier and I'm not, or vice versa'

Edit: Changed to D below.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 23, 2015

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
E

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

E. We can be a colossal jackass and soak up the luck and pratfall our way through life while everyone around us falls through open sewer grates.

Do we decide how we effect luck? Or is it'Other people are luckier and I'm not, or vice versa'

Jo can cause a lucky event to happen for herself. She could, for example, make herself win the lottery! If she did that, however, an EQUALLY unlucky event will befall her. Like... getting rear ended onto a train crossing in front a train full of chemicals that only runs through the area once a year, while Harrison Ford's plane crashes on her at the same time. So, she keeps it to small things, or at least has until now!

She can also choose to experience bad luck in exchange for random good luck later. Once she effects her luck she WILL have an opposite reaction at some, random point in the future.

Additionally, she may be able to change the luck of others in the future. Maybe. If she doesn't get a life threatening infection from a paper cut or fall into a sewer grate before then. ;)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
C. Let's be the nice Ice Queen

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

HBar posted:

C. Jane's pretty much guaranteed to get captured after a coma or two.

Haven't you seen Crank? Let's do that!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
E to keep us alive when goon decisionmaking inevitably gets us in a giant's fist.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

hollylolly posted:

Jo can cause a lucky event to happen for herself. She could, for example, make herself win the lottery! If she did that, however, an EQUALLY unlucky event will befall her. Like... getting rear ended onto a train crossing in front a train full of chemicals that only runs through the area once a year, while Harrison Ford's plane crashes on her at the same time. So, she keeps it to small things, or at least has until now!

She can also choose to experience bad luck in exchange for random good luck later. Once she effects her luck she WILL have an opposite reaction at some, random point in the future.

Additionally, she may be able to change the luck of others in the future. Maybe. If she doesn't get a life threatening infection from a paper cut or fall into a sewer grate before then. ;)

There is absolutely, positively no way that goons won't end up blowing a huge wad of luck on a stupid venture and then screwball it all up. Changing my vote to D, we need survivability and the opportunity to make mortal mistakes over :suicide:, and over :kingsley:, and over :happyelf:. Just gotta keep that heart rate up :cocaine:.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 23, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Does Jane need to eat/breathe?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Votes so far:

A - 0
B - 1
C - 3
D - 7
E - 5

It's a tie!

Edit: wait, it isn't anymore!

Jane does need to breathe.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 23, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

hollylolly posted:

Votes so far:

A - 0
B - 1
C - 3
D - 6
E - 6

It's a tie!

I changed my vote to D a few posts back.

vv: woop, I am kingmaker!

Outrail fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 23, 2015

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

I changed my vote to D a few posts back.

Yep, I saw it and just edited. :)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Ralith posted:

Does Jane need to eat/breathe?

I answered this in part above, but yes. Jane eats and breathes and needs to do so in order to function. She could go without eating...but starving to deathhealing coma isn't really conducive to getting anything accomplished.

If she held her breath she would pass out. If she drowns... well, that's an interesting one. She'd need to be fished out of the water to recuperate. Good thing she's the boss and has underlings to order around!

Edit: voting is still open! I'll either update tonight (PST) or in the morning.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 23, 2015

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
D. E sounds really fun, but I think it'd get annoying possibly damning and countering ourself every time we use our abilities. Seems like we'd end up going nowhere. Use a little luck to cause a guard to drop a key! Yay, you've escaped! Bad luck hits you and you run into that same guard who stopped to tie his randomly untied shoelace ten seconds later.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

hollylolly posted:

I answered this in part above, but yes. Jane eats and breathes and needs to do so in order to function. She could go without eating...but starving to deathhealing coma isn't really conducive to getting anything accomplished.

If she held her breath she would pass out. If she drowns... well, that's an interesting one. She'd need to be fished out of the water to recuperate. Good thing she's the boss and has underlings to order around!

Has jane experienced decapitation, industrial shredding or similar total body deconstruction?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Does Jane's regeneration respect conservation of mass?

Absum
May 28, 2013

Theglavwen posted:

D. E sounds really fun, but I think it'd get annoying possibly damning and countering ourself every time we use our abilities. Seems like we'd end up going nowhere. Use a little luck to cause a guard to drop a key! Yay, you've escaped! Bad luck hits you and you run into that same guard who stopped to tie his randomly untied shoelace ten seconds later.

You give yourself bad luck all the time instead and stop doing it when you need the good luck (and hope things maybe work out and when they don't suddenly cause tons of good luck for yourself and then get owned with massive bad luck seconds later).

e: I have seen a character that could essentially store luck and she did the cause yourself constant bad luck thing, but our power would be a lot less reliable cause we can't actually store it really.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

Has jane experienced decapitation, industrial shredding or similar total body deconstruction?
She has not.

:stonk:

That would probably kill her to death. Although, maybe her head would grow a new body? Probably not, that's pretty ridiculous.

Ralith posted:

Does Jane's regeneration respect conservation of mass?

I'm not sure what you mean? She will eventually regrow a limb, like a lizard who lost its tail. She cannot grow a different limb in place of a missing one, nor a larger one than she had in the first place.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

hollylolly posted:

I'm not sure what you mean? She will eventually regrow a limb, like a lizard who lost its tail. She cannot grow a different limb in place of a missing one, nor a larger one than she had in the first place.
If you cut off her limb and placed her in an air-tight cell, would the contents of the cell weigh more after the limb regrew?

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Absum posted:

You give yourself bad luck all the time instead and stop doing it when you need the good luck (and hope things maybe work out and when they don't suddenly cause tons of good luck for yourself and then get owned with massive bad luck seconds later).

Hah, neat. Living a life of constant bad luck, so that a) we're used to dealing with poo poo and so more competent at it and b) just by virtue of stopping the bad luck our situation should always immediately improve. It'd be like using good luck but without actually doing it, and then, if we do employ good luck, it's just an additional bonus.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Ralith posted:

If you cut off her limb and placed her in an air-tight cell, would the contents of the cell weigh more after the limb regrew?

Her body wouldn't be able to initiate the regrowth with zero oxygen. :eng101:

For the sake of argument, it would weigh the same. Jane would awaken (once released from the air tight cell) ravenously hungry and would take an additional day or two to return to her full strength depending on how much she had to regenerate.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that she has above average strength when high on adrenaline! Whoops. I'll edit that into the OP. :doh:

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Can we get Jane a big suit of armor, a dome shaped helmet, and a big ruby, then bulk up a bunch?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
At least breaking into the morgue will be easy enough.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

hollylolly posted:

Her body wouldn't be able to initiate the regrowth with zero oxygen. :eng101:

For the sake of argument, it would weigh the same. Jane would awaken (once released from the air tight cell) ravenously hungry and would take an additional day or two to return to her full strength depending on how much she had to regenerate.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that she has above average strength when high on adrenaline! Whoops. I'll edit that into the OP. :doh:
I said airtight, not evacuated.

Can she heal brain damage? If so, how much? Would it affect her personality/memories/etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Ralith posted:

I said airtight, not evacuated.

Can she heal brain damage? If so, how much? Would it affect her personality/memories/etc?

She can heal brain damage to a certain point. If her brains were, for a random example, splashed all over a door frame by a fifty foot giant, she would be dead.

It doesn't affect her personality or memories. At least, not that she's noticed!

• Locked thread