Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Having been distracted by Cogmind and The Ground Gives Way (these are great games everyone should play these games), I finally played Qud for the first time today. Things I have learned:

* There's a kitty in Joppa you can pet. I got my $10 worth right there.
* I waltzed out as a Praetorian True Man slaughtering snapjaws like they were nothing. Then a vine called a jilted lover or something attacked me when I walked by a wall and I died horribly.
* True Man #2 got to level 1 of the Rust Well. Something called a slumbering tore his face off.
* True Man #3 decided to buy lots of cool things from the trader in town. Spent all of my money. Forgetting that water is money in this case, I died of thirst next to Red Rock.
* True Man #4 came from the arcology that dual wields. He stumbled around in the dark and got killed pretty quickly.

Game owns, looking forward to getting past the learning curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Zereth posted:

That does seem weird. They should get cursed for breaking the thing, and then it should break and you're okay to defend yourself.

There are some modifications to "Offer Gift" logic coming soon.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

A side effect of the faction changes seem to have made it so that snapjaws hate bats more than me, and will actively ignore me to run halfway across the map and kill a bat. Interesting, to say the least.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Happylisk posted:

Game owns, looking forward to getting past the learning curve.

Right now, playing True Men is like playing a no-augs run of Deus Ex or a no-powers run of Dishonored. Qud is secretly a Mutants and Masterminds Roguelike

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Unormal posted:

Caves of Qud feature Friday!
*Villagers now admire their warden for defending their village (this means Warden Ualraig and Mehmet will play nice more often)

First New Game after the update, Ualraig immediately murdered Mehmet upon entering the game. :allears:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

amuayse posted:

Right now, playing True Men is like playing a no-augs run of Deus Ex or a no-powers run of Dishonored. Qud is secretly a Mutants and Masterminds Roguelike

Hopefully a cybernetics overhaul will come soon which means that the choice is between Mutants and Masterminds and Cyborgs and Crysteel.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
code:
You eat bear corpse
It made for a grisly meal.
This made me laugh way more than it should've :downs:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Unormal posted:

I really want to make Caravans of Qud in FTL/Convoy style. I need many more days per day. :negative:

I'm getting a mad Merchants of Kaidan vibe from this already.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Anyone have any opinions about Demon? The core concept seems pretty interesting, but the tiles seem low-fi and the potential for jank seems pretty high as well. Not being able to directly control the demons you summon makes it seem like the game leans on the RNG a good bit.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I don't know about you guys, but I found using fresh water as money becomes kind of pointless by the time you get to Bethesda Susa.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

amuayse posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I found using fresh water as money becomes kind of pointless by the time you get to Bethesda Susa.

It depends on your character. If you do a high-ego discolaser water merchant, you get more money than you can use pretty early on. I always end up dumping loads of extra waterskins in Joppa because they're taking up half of my max carry weight.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It depends on your character. If you do a high-ego discolaser water merchant, you get more money than you can use pretty early on. I always end up dumping loads of extra waterskins in Joppa because they're taking up half of my max carry weight.
Invest in low weight high value baubles.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

Yup. Copper nuggets, beaded bracelets, etc are poo poo that you should hang onto and use to fund big purchases... and they buy back while you're unloading trash loot in between big buys.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zereth posted:

I usually buy all of the nuggets and bracelets etc off of merchants, and I carry all that crap along with me in case I need to buy something cool. But I usually end up dumping 100+ pounds of water in one of the huts in Joppa.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

RickVoid posted:

Yup. Copper nuggets, beaded bracelets, etc are poo poo that you should hang onto and use to fund big purchases... and they buy back while you're unloading trash loot in between big buys.

Trading nuggets back and forth works fine and is obviously what they are for as their value is static, but the bracelets and stuff are subject to ego-based price changes like everything else so if you transfer them back and forth you'll lose money on them pretty fast. I try to never buy them unless i'm flush with water and somewhere far from a convenient storage drop, or it's for a specific thing (ie i have a ton of water in joppa but the plant guy in kyakukya has something i want).

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

RickVoid posted:

First New Game after the update, Ualraig immediately murdered Mehmet upon entering the game. :allears:

Note the choice of words: "more often" :)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think that update means that anytime he kills Mehmet it's because he hates his job and you can sic him on Irudad for fun and profit.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Roluth posted:

Anyone have any opinions about Demon? The core concept seems pretty interesting, but the tiles seem low-fi and the potential for jank seems pretty high as well. Not being able to directly control the demons you summon makes it seem like the game leans on the RNG a good bit.
The dev has done a pretty nice job with the Demon AI. I've never seen such smart and helpful AI-controlled allies in a roguelike before. Unlike other games where friends often want to make you tear your hair out, last time I tried Demon their behavior tends towards "hell yeah, thanks!" The whole game does revolve around them, so the dev has put a lot of effort into the team AI, getting them to both make the best decisions in a given situation and even play off synergies.

Overall the game has a ways to go in terms of other content, but there are already a ton of unique demons and abilities, which is the core of the game and therefore what the dev is focusing on now.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's pretty much the fact that I have all the gear I could possibly ever want by then.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm trying Demon - it's a little barebones right now (i'd kill for a minimap) but it's pretty fun and looks promising. It's also brutally hard. Uniques are completely terrifying, because some of them are pokemon masters like you are, and chances are they have better, more upgraded versions of pokemon than you, especially early on. On the other hand, you can steal their special pokemon, or if the unique itself is a pokemon you can try to tame the unique, but the uniques generally have unusual and tricky requirements to capture them.

I like how customizable everything is - you pick a relic to start with and elements to focus on, which gives you three starting spells and your starting stats/resistances/weaknesses, and every ability you learn after that is from taming monsters and learning their abilities, with a lot of interesting combinations possible. Monsters can teach each other abilities, too.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 23, 2015

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I'm fooling around with a True man Child of the Hearth cudgeler. By level 6 I had 29 strength and enough for skullcrusher, fun stuff. I'm doing red rock, and the level I'm generated with a hallway blocked by a boulder. How do I get around that? And what items can I use to dig?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Happylisk posted:

I'm fooling around with a True man Child of the Hearth cudgeler. By level 6 I had 29 strength and enough for skullcrusher, fun stuff. I'm doing red rock, and the level I'm generated with a hallway blocked by a boulder. How do I get around that? And what items can I use to dig?

Acid grenades are a pretty handy digging tool.

You can also force-attack the wall with any weapon, but they have incredibly high armor or something so 99% of the time you'll do no damage.

One time I got randomly "lost" in an overworld area completely enclosed by walls, so my character spent a few in-game days bashing down walls with a cudgel to get to the next screen.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

You can also break boulders by ctrl-attacking them

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Acid grenade did the trick.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Weirdly axes are pretty good at cutting walls due to the cleave ability
The best digging tool in the game is Saad-Amus's sword though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shale is soft enough that you can dig it with most anything if you're patient and have a bit of muscle.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Happylisk posted:

Did you try picking it up and tossing it out of the way? I have a 16 strength high agility character right now, and they're capable of doing that.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Apparently pretty much nobody's playing demon sadly, since I'm currently the #1 player in the world according to the leaderboard right now, :ssh:.

[

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Apparently legendary goatfolk are pretty nasty, especially when they have a pack of Sowers around them. I just got instagibbed from 106 HP on the turn walked into vision. Can sower's seeds stun you and make you lose turns or something?

I had even found a flamethrower in a random underground area next to some ruins... I only got to murder two things with it :negative:.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

Apparently pretty much nobody's playing demon sadly, since I'm currently the #1 player in the world according to the leaderboard right now, :ssh:.

[

I liked it better when you were a shapeshifter that permanently picked up skills off monsters you change into and level up.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Wolpertinger posted:

[

I've been screwing around with it a little as you can see, but at the same time it's kind of sad that my useless flailings got me #9.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

I liked it better when you were a shapeshifter that permanently picked up skills off monsters you change into and level up.

You can pretty much steal everything a monster has for yourself except for its sprite and resistances still, it's just now you have a bunch of buddies who can cast healing spells or restore sp or debuff enemies/buff you or block enemies while you blast/heal. Since you can pretty much imitate a monster entirely anyway, shapeshifting doesn't seem like it'd be that much more interesting.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
First try! :toot:

I managed to get a slime pretty early and had it teach its crazy-powerful "self-heal and cure all debuffs for 0 SP" move to all my other demons. Then I got a Kasha, which casts "guilt" AKA "everything that attacks the marked enemy gets healed". Those combined let your team stay alive pretty much forever.

Unless you're like me and too dumb to realize a pack of enemies have ranged attacks. I had a billion healing consumables too, but I was dumb enough to try and save them by hiding behind an ally.

ArgoATX
Dec 10, 2014
Qud: Is there an unlisted synergy between Horn and the Charge skill? Horn seems to fire at a rate wayyy higher than 20% when charging, but perhaps it is another factor or I am just imagining things. Edit: yep, 10 charges, 9 horn attacks, one miss. That's a huge amount of damage.

ArgoATX fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 24, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is it just me or does One Way Heroics Plus run a lot worse than the original?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
FYI, fixed the waterlogged tunnel and some little bugs with shield slam and metamorphic polygel on the Beta branch.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I thought that being a spellcaster buffbot was the way to do well at Demon, but let me tell you, I was wrong as poo poo.

I took the fist relic, learned a shitload of melee abilities and flesheater, and backed myself up with two casters with heals and one other meatshield and tore poo poo up.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Varinn posted:

I thought that being a spellcaster buffbot was the way to do well at Demon, but let me tell you, I was wrong as poo poo.

I took the fist relic, learned a shitload of melee abilities and flesheater, and backed myself up with two casters with heals and one other meatshield and tore poo poo up.

My #1 (now #2) was Hand of the Dead with the max hp lifesteal melee spell (which incidentally increases current hp too), the 'you get +25% defense when you have more health than the target' and healing factor as starting spells, then I learned flesheater to get lifesteal on kill and gluttony to improve the lifesteal from both the draining touch and flesheater then a bunch of evades from goblins and whatnot. I took chilling touch from one of the ice fish, and it saved my rear end a lot since a lot of things are weak to ice, but I honestly should have done fire or something since what ended up killing me was undead who are resistant to dark (life drain) AND ice (chilling touch).

I was frontrow with one other meatshield and two healers too, though I was melee caster instead of true melee. Healing factor is really, really nice. Picking hand of the dead with the lifesteal that drains more current health but no max health is very viable too, the main problem I had with it that prevented me from getting as far is that a couple jerks are immune to body damage early on, (max hp is dark element instead) before you have pets strong enough to reliably win big fights without you. Vs things without body immunity though it's considerably better at keeping you alive, though. Even the other hand spells have some interesting possibilities too, with ice having chilling touch and a passive that lets you have an instant kill % against chilled enemies.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 24, 2015

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
ADOM chat

quote:

Team ADOM is happy to announce the public release of ADOM R60. It is available from the usual download sites, all summarized on our beautiful new download page.

ADOM R60 again is a major bugfix release and we by now hope to have closed all issues that prevented us from going to Steam. All changes and adjustments are listed on our also beautiful new change log page.

Personally I was someone shocked that two days ago we discovered that spell animations for ball spells had not been working for weeks. Neither we nor anybody out there seems to have noticed o_O

So our intention is to do one final (?) round of feedback. If no more major problems are discovered we intend to release R61 to Steam and finally pick up steam (pardon the pun) after that by returning to adding new features instead of just focussing on bug fixing and stabilization. Sadly one bug already has been found during the 9-hour-long deployment process for all 59 (!) versions of ADOM we (meaning Jochen) have to deploy for a public release: the (more) hint in tutorial mode is not working in the way intended.

So we have to ask everyone out there: Test R60 as intensely as possible and try out everything. And then please provide feedback in our issue manager regarding any problems that you might encounter. We really want the Steam version to be the most stable release possible and need your help in this! And we finally want to have it out in the open to restart adding tons of awesome features (which we currently dare not do out of fear of wrecking the initial Steam release).

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2015/08/adom-r60-released-to-general-public.html

The only thing more surprising to me than the fact that this thing is actually getting onto steam is the price. In the comments to the post, Biskup said he was going to charge $15.00 for the steam version. I really thought he was going to charge $40 or something insane like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Nah, since ages ago roughly $20 was the reckoned ceiling for ADOM: Deluxe and the, then ahead of that, comparable notions to ADOM II before the Alpha dev got deferred via the IGG for ADOM doing so well---$15 should work out well for them I reckon.