Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

drizzle posted:

Just started playing the game and can't believe how much they hosed up the battlefield 3 maps. Metro blows forever, caspian has a giant wall in the center that funnels everyone into two chokepoints, and oman has a giant annoying sandstorm that has everyone shooting at triangles. Firestorm is ok I guess at least.

Heads up: Metro always sucked and will continue to suck forever and ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'll go one further and say that the vanilla BF3 maps were mostly bad to mediocre.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I actually really liked Kharg Island Conquest.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Most of the maps were bad with 64 players. I did find some to be fun with 30-40 people though.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah there were def some good ones like Damavand Rush and Bazaar, I just didn't start liking the majority of maps until the expansions dropped

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Locker is at least 10 times better than Metro, and Locker is a pretty crappy map but at least it literally isn't a straight hallway with a corridor to two leading into a chokepoint.

Are there any maps/modes that are similar to close quarters maps/CQ conquest from BF3? I loved that pace. Or am I just stuck rolling TDM?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

drizzle posted:

Just started playing the game and can't believe how much they hosed up the battlefield 3 maps. Metro blows forever, caspian has a giant wall in the center that funnels everyone into two chokepoints, and oman has a giant annoying sandstorm that has everyone shooting at triangles. Firestorm is ok I guess at least.
you can blow the wall pieces up in caspian, i think

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kibayasu posted:

I actually really liked Kharg Island Conquest.

Kharg gets a bad rap, but that map was some good mobile AA territory. Which inherently makes it a Good Map in Battlefield 3 because jets were king.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

You can destroy most of the wall and shock the gently caress out of pubbies with a new tactic called "flanking". poo poo's amazing.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

It takes more than one shot so pubbies never do it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It takes six c4 charges to make a hole for infantry which isn't fast either.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

But only like 3 tank shots, which is usually who you see doing it.

Part of me had a soft spot for Seine Crossing even though it's bananas with 64 players. If only they'd given us a map that was the outside fieldy part of Metro, combined with the town portion of the map, it might have been good, like a more urban Golmud.

Overall the stock BF3 maps were pretty terrible.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
operation firestorm was the best bf3 map, and its one of the worst bf4 maps

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

What's so bad about it in BF4?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pretty much nothing as far as I can see. If anything its better than it was in BF3 because jets aren't BF3 jets any more. It's also better than a whole lot of other BF4 maps, vanilla or DLC, because it has the terrain that allows everyone to have fun nearly anywhere on it rather than having small sections for infantry at capture points surrounded by hundreds of square meters of nothingness.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i do think the vehicle play is unbalanced as gently caress and is only fun if you have the right stuff unlocked whereas infantry combat is fun from the start

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Friar Zucchini posted:

What's so bad about it in BF4?

For the most part it's good. Last patch though took away the ability for players to turn smoothing off, so there are more people complaining about 'lag'. Which is really them shooting at players that aren't where their computer says they are. And that's my biggest gripe with the game right now.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The biggest problem is that they didn't get all the big netcode fixes into the last patch IIRC. Also the movement system and the hitboxes are completely garbage because they haven't gotten rid of the acceleration changes from when the engine was running 10hz.

Seraph84
Aug 9, 2015

by XyloJW

drizzle posted:

Just started playing the game and can't believe how much they hosed up the battlefield 3 maps. Metro blows forever,
Metro has only ever been decent on rush (with 32 players max and explosives banned). It's one of the console friendly maps the assholes at 2K games made DICE create to pull in some of the COD kiddies dollars.

drizzle posted:

caspian has a giant wall in the center that funnels everyone into two chokepoints
Every segment of that Wall is destructible. The round starts with two chokepoints and as it progresses people are supposed to be blowing down parts of it for strategic advantage. Of course 95% of pubbie retards have no idea about any of this and just blindly assume a brilliant map is poorly designed.

quote:

oman has a giant annoying sandstorm that has everyone shooting at triangles.
Take the training wheels off and try it on hardcore. Oman is cool and fun when little details like visibility and situational awareness are actually relevant.

Seraph84 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 22, 2015

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Randomly, Origin has decided to irreparably break on me again without any changes having been made since it last worked. Multiple uninstalls/reinstalls later and it still crashes out after downloading the update, with the added bonus that my previous fix (copying the contents of %ProgramData%\Application Data\Origin\SelfUpdate\StagedUpdate) over the existing install no longer works.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

Hexenritter posted:

Origin working as intended.

Have you disabled the overlay mode, or in-game or whatever they call it? That always causes issues for me if left enabled.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mariguana posted:

Have you disabled the overlay mode, or in-game or whatever they call it? That always causes issues for me if left enabled.

It doesn't even get that far. It downloads the update, then crashes upon attempting to apply it. I got it working again after the aforementioned copy/paste and by renaming origin.exe to origin1.exe, and origintmp.exe to origin.exe. Then when I launch it, it loads fine (that is, until the next Origin patch.

At least I got it working again but I gave up on ever actually finding out whatever's causing it 3 months ago after my last attempt with EA support.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

New Concept Hole posted:

The biggest problem is that they didn't get all the big netcode fixes into the last patch IIRC. Also the movement system and the hitboxes are completely garbage because they haven't gotten rid of the acceleration changes from when the engine was running 10hz.
I'd like BF4 a lot more if its entire backend engine was secretly replaced with Folger's crystals (BF3) overnight. Dice still hasn't matched or even remotely approached its consistency of network performance 2 years later

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

New Concept Hole posted:

That was 10 down and 30 up same as bf3. Also there is no hitbox acceleration. Tasoth had it right it is network smoothing and a combination of network interpolation. These two things were really only used to make the manteling look better. The interpolation factor is only used in predicted movement and bf4 maxes at 0.1m of predicted movement. The people having "lag" deaths and kills are like me and tasoth getting large amounts of packet loss for some reason. If you have your ports open and are not getting packet loss none of the above ever affected you and any performance differences are in your head.

^^^^^ if you think the hit detection was better in bf3 just Lol. Rose colored wielding visor I assume can only be the answer.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

xyigx posted:

^^^^^ if you think the hit detection was better in bf3 just Lol. Rose colored wielding visor I assume can only be the answer.

99% sure that TheRationalRedditor would know that better than you since he actually hits his shots and as such has a baseline for telling the difference between bad netcode and being a bad player

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Let's go back to BC2 netcode where for some bizarre reason you had to trail rather than lead moving targets :psyduck:

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

99% sure that TheRationalRedditor would know that better than you since he actually hits his shots and as such has a baseline for telling the difference between bad netcode and being a bad player

Still salty about that Screeching Airsperg comment I see. You might not want to hold things like that in. It's bad for your autism and stress levels.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

xyigx posted:

Still salty about that Screeching Airsperg comment I see. You might not want to hold things like that in. It's bad for your autism and stress levels.

I've never had a need to screech since I've never had any real challenge except from other airspergs, so I think you must have misread that post!

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

the hitboxes are completely garbage
One thing I notice every once in a while is if a sniper takes a shot at me, I might not take damage but I'll see a splash of blood on my screen very briefly, like not the first-person "i'm hurt" red-jelly-screen but the third-person type where someone else is getting shot, just from me instead. And again, that's without taking damage - probably they hit my visual model but not the hitbox is my guess.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

I'm not talking about hitbox acceleration. Back when BF4 came out, movement like sprinting had acceleration phases where you slowly built up to full speed. This was changed because people thought it felt too slow, but after they improved the netcode and tick rate in general, now hitting people is unnecessarily hard because they're reaching max speed faster in whatever direction they go. And it only gets harder as you increase the tick rate, something which DICE LA is already testing.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like I got booted from LLJK after a long hiatus. Can someone readd me?

Origin ID: OBAMACARE_FAN

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Bohemian Nights posted:

:thumbsup:

Who could really determine such intricate differences between two games played extensively at the same pings, configs and conditions? What hubris!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
this is a pretty fun game, in my opinion

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Did they nerf 30mm vs helicopters?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I just started playing again cuz I heard about the forthcoming night maps. For some reason, my loadouts aren't persisting through map changes/even when I set them in the Battlelog loadout section. I have to reconfigure my loadouts and vehicle setups every map. Is this a lovely new bug or what?

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I haven't really played since the spring patch. Did the good guns change, or are the good guns still the good guns? Why did they change the zero on the snipers? Why did they remove all the ladders in TDM? Playing king of the hill in TDM over the roofs was one of the best things in the game. I wish more people would play Hardline with me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Did they nerf 30mm vs helicopters?

They did give the 30mm (and probably the 20mm) a nerf to accuracy. Every bullet no longer hits dead-centre and there's an inherent scatter.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

frunksock posted:

I haven't really played since the spring patch. Did the good guns change, or are the good guns still the good guns? Why did they change the zero on the snipers? Why did they remove all the ladders in TDM? Playing king of the hill in TDM over the roofs was one of the best things in the game. I wish more people would play Hardline with me.
Good guns are still pretty much the same, so if you loved your AK5C and M416 and SRR-61s and whatever you'll do just fine.

They changed the zero on the snipers because of the way the bullets came out of the gun. At 0 meters you could do the headglitch because your bullet fired from your soldier's eyes rather than the gun for all guns, so they changed the zeroing to 100 meters. This makes the bullet come out lower on the hitbox of the soldier, from the gun's actual muzzle. It hasn't changed sniping at all, but it has removed headglitching from behind crates where you could see an enemy and shoot at them, but your enemy couldn't shoot back at you.

Ladders were removed in TDM because DICE can't do rooftop fighting properly given so few ladders leading up to the rooftops. It's a good change, even if I did enjoy sniping from up there.

Hardline sucks and we're all just waiting for Battlefront now.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 24, 2015

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Olive Branch posted:

Good guns are still pretty much the same, so if you loved your AK5C and M416 and SRR-61s and whatever you'll do just fine.
Thanks. So I'm still good with the Gol, M9, AEK, and whatnot?

quote:

They changed the zero on the snipers because of the way the bullets came out of the gun. At 0 meters you could do the headglitch because your bullet fired from your soldier's eyes rather than the gun for all guns, so they changed the zeroing to 100 meters. This makes the bullet come out lower on the hitbox of the soldier, from the gun's actual muzzle. It hasn't changed sniping at all, but it has removed headglitching from behind crates where you could see an enemy and shoot at them, but your enemy couldn't shoot back at you.
That's cool, but sniping has definitely changed. All my holdovers are wrong now. I have to aim directly at someone's head, not above it, if they're within most TDM ranges. In the game I played the other day where I found this out, I missed a ton of kills and it got me killed a bunch. Part of me is annoyed because they made it so I have to relearn muscle memory for this, and part of me is annoyed because they basically made sniping easier, and I feel sniping works best balance-wise if it takes some experience and skill to be effective at.

quote:

Ladders were removed in TDM because DICE can't do rooftop fighting properly given so few ladders leading up to the rooftops. It's a good change, even if I did enjoy sniping from up there.
I liked sniping up there, but more than that, I liked having a thing to fight over. I liked trying to take it back when my team didn't hold it, and repelling attacks when we did. You can say I should play a more objective-oriented mode if I like that, but I often have more fun fighting over a single natural objective in TDM than 5 artificial ones in CQL.

quote:

Hardline sucks and we're all just waiting for Battlefront now.
I think Hardline's great. Especially now that the weapon balance and TDM spawns are better. What don't you like about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I bought this game 3 weeks ago and I have 70 hours put into it already.

I think I like it.

I hope Final Stand is a preview for Battlefield 2143. And I hope Battlefront doesn't siphon off the game's population because I have literally 0 interest in it.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 24, 2015

• Locked thread