Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is there any reason to make the hamburger immovable, though? I could see making it impossible to remove so that you can't remove it, though that's a weak argument given that you can right click anywhere on the navigation bar and select customize; surely anyone who couldn't figure that out wouldn't customize in the first place. I literally can't think of a single reason to not let users move it at all.

Mozilla is really bad at UX and UI design. Just look at Firefox for Android's bafflingly different behavior between phone and tablet.

Just placing the button for tabs on the other side of the bar is enough to completely mess up the workflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

tonberrytoby posted:

They say "Edge of the screen" they say nothing about the edge of the browser window.
From my personal anecdotal observations, people who use their desktop browsers in fullscreen mode are much rarer then competitive fps-players with perfect mouse controll.

Well, yes. If you're not using your browser in full screen then you're not going to get the advantages of the edge of the screen. That should be obvious. I see most desktop browsers being used in full screen in random screenshots on forums so I don't have any reason to believe it's rare or even less common than windowed.

Elements near the edge of the screen do benefit from being able to bounce back quickly. My tabs do touch the edge of the screen, though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Desuwa posted:

Elements near the edge of the screen do benefit from being able to bounce back quickly. My tabs do touch the edge of the screen, though.
Is that still true? Newer versions of Windows open some strange menus when you try to bounce back from the wrong edge, making things slower then if there was no temptation to bounce.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tonberrytoby posted:

Is that still true? Newer versions of Windows open some strange menus when you try to bounce back from the wrong edge, making things slower then if there was no temptation to bounce.

Windows 10 removes that behavior, unless you specifically re-enable it.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I feel like the fullscreen thing is really dependent on screen resolution (effective resolution, not real resolution for 4k or retina or w/e). On my screen (1920x1080 on 22", which seems reasonable for desktop), when I fullscreen the browser and select some text on SA, I get numbers like 187 or 184 characters per line. Non-fullscreen, the numbers are more like 114 or 108.
There aren't many studies on this, the ones I have found suggested that 95 cpl is actually better than the traditional 75, but don't go farther than that (and I'm not sure why, 95 cpl is clearly reasonable--in fact, 95 cpl is called "extreme" in the study, which seems goofy, and looking at some text with around 90 cpl it looks too narrow). This is apparently Shaikh, A.D. (2005),. The effects of line length on reading online news, which I can't find a working pdf of. There's this which looks like a student paper, suggesting 100 cpl is less efficient than 85, but that 85 is better than 55 or 70.
I'd be really interested in seeing a proper study about this that targeted, like, 200+ cpl as the actually extreme upper bound.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
On my 1920x1080 laptop, I mostly keep Firefox to about ~1245 across simply so that i can have stuff like chat windows or whatever on the side.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

zachol posted:

I feel like the fullscreen thing is really dependent on screen resolution (effective resolution, not real resolution for 4k or retina or w/e).

If you're going to talk about "effective resolution" maybe you should account for the fact that most websites outside of this forum and Wikipedia already set a narrow width for their content which significantly reduces the difference between full-screen and half-screen. It's not like ideal character width is some secret kept hidden from web designers.

Guerrand fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 24, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I'm hoping there's still a way for Tab Mix Plus to still work.

I could probably live with tabs on the top edge of the window rather than the bottom edge, but not having multi-row tabs would suck.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Real talk, how the gently caress do I get this blue poo poo to stop.

My cookies that I don't have whitelisted delete after I close my browser so this blue bar from hell keeps popping up, UBlocks element picker sucks donkey, so I can't figure out how to remove this bar without side effects.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Im_Special posted:

My cookies that I don't have whitelisted delete after I close my browser so this blue bar from hell keeps popping up, UBlocks element picker sucks donkey, so I can't figure out how to remove this bar without side effects.

You stop force deleting that cookie, simple. You could also try to select the element that is in uBlock/AdBlock Plus and create a filter for it, I guess, but there's no guarantee google won't slightly change its name in the future. which would unblock it.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Im_Special posted:

Add a Stylish file for google.ca that sets that bar's ID/class to {display: none!important;}

Use the Inspector to find a suitable identifier (right click the bar, hit Q)

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

Use the Inspector to find a suitable identifier (right click the bar, hit Q)

:eyepop:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Grim Up North posted:

Fullscreen (F11) is probably only for weirdos and people doing presentations/kiosks, but I'm pretty sure that the majority of Windows users browse with a maximized browser window and almost no MacOS users do so. I don't have up-to-date statistics, though. MacOS always encouraged non-maximized windows with it's top menu bar optimized for Fitt's Law though.

For some reason I just don't like running apps in full screen, and I've no idea why. It's not like I have a dynamic background that I have to keep an eye on. Even before I had dual monitors I almost never had stuff maximised. It's weird.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I run precious few applications maximized but the browser is one of them. I actually run it maximized on two monitors with my second one in a 10x16 orientation that's better for reading manga.

Note that I mean maximized and not full screen; full screen is only for media and games.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I run Firefox windowed, full height, but only 1280 wide. Mostly so I can tell if something I've posted is breaking tables here on the forums, but also because so many other sites don't use the full width of the window any more.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I remember reading about some study/studies on the effect of document width on reading speeds, which found the optional width is well below the width of a widescreen monitor. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
They're highly suspect, because the "ideal width" seems to hop around a lot and these studies get redone all the time. You can go back to the 90s and find studies that said text areas should never be wider than what fits on a 700 pixel area at 12 point font, for instance.

More than anything else, it seems like ideals vary heavily from person to person and group to group, and that display technology can matter. For instance different line lengths are more comfortable on CRT Vs lovely lcd Vs nice lcd Vs eInk. And so on.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Firefox is now putting "suggested pages" into that page that appears when you open a new tab and all your frequent links are shown. How do i turn that off?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Firefox is now putting "suggested pages" into that page that appears when you open a new tab and all your frequent links are shown. How do i turn that off?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I find it incredibly annoying to run anything not maximized. I wonder how much of that breakdown is still grew up on Mac vs. grew up on Windows?

A Yolo Wizard posted:

In about : config it's either browser.newtabpage.enabled or browser.newtabpage.enhanced to false, I have both set to false and get a blank page.

Edit: Oh hey they finally put an actual option for it back in.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I like Australis. And I vote

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

The only thing I dislike about Australis is the lack of a status bar, so I installed an addon for that. Otherwise I'm fine with it. I guess I'm not really a ~power user~ or anything though.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
I like things how I like them.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Implied Consent posted:

Pretty close to what I stick to. Thats where the tabs go. :colbert:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I'll join the fugly multirow tab army when they inevitably kill tab groups, since I'm pretty sure I'm the only user of it.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

The Milkman posted:

I'll join the fugly multirow tab army when they inevitably kill tab groups, since I'm pretty sure I'm the only user of it.

I use tab groups but I adored Opera's tab stacking back when I only had ~100 tabs.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Implied Consent posted:

Same:

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 26, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm just a stubborn old gently caress who fears change:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Not pictured: the other ~50 odd tabs in this tab group, the other ~250 tabs in other groups in this window, or the ~100 tabs of manga I'm totally going to read soon in the other window on the portrait oriented monitor. The four tabs on the left are pinned.

I have tabs I haven't looked at since before I migrated from Opera 12.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 26, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bieeardo posted:

I'm just a stubborn old gently caress who fears change:

Aero Glass and a combined back button/URL bar, huh? Some grognard you are!

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Please don't post fake troll pictures.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My affair with UI transparency is one of my deepest shames. :(

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Am I the only person who puts their tabs on the actual bottom?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Silver95280 posted:

Am I the only person who puts their tabs on the actual bottom?

:what: The only one Ive ever seen.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Some reassurance for the reactionaries

https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebExtensions/FAQ

https://hackademix.net/2015/08/22/webextensions-api-noscript/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Are any of these extensions not possible with the new extension model or whatever it's called?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are any of these extensions not possible with the new extension model or whatever it's called?
No extensions are impossible because WebExtensions is not a thing yet, so you can't say what you can or cannot do with it. In the FAQ in the post above yours they say that essentially every maintained add-on should continue to work.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Also, XUL and XPCOM being deprecated doesn't mean they'll go away immediately. While some uses of XUL in the browser will likely get replaced in the near future, it'll be years before XUL is completely gone.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
Tabs belong to the side so I can always keep at least 50 tabs open :colbert:

Tree Style Tab is pretty much the only (but huge) reason I'm sticking with Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pollyzoid posted:

Tabs belong to the side so I can always keep at least 50 tabs open :colbert:

Tree Style Tab is pretty much the only (but huge) reason I'm sticking with Firefox.

Yep. The closest equivalent in Chrome has them in a separate window and fucks with how alt-tab orders things.