Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SRM posted:

I almost threw in the towel after the stupid Goron rhythm minigame that you have to play to proceed
That is so much easier on the 3DS btw (because of save states)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

less laughter posted:

That is so much easier on the 3DS btw (because of save states)
It's the only way I was able to do it, still thought it was pretty annoying though. The game has you do a lot of fetch questing for dopey characters.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

I got like maybe halfway or 2/3 through spirit tracks? I got sick of the train gimmick and found it annoying to play train pacman with the evil trains just to get to the next dungeon.

The actual Pac-Man sequence was hilarious though. Video for reference, skip to about 1:45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjQXgziqXyU

I liked Spirit Tracks although the overworld train travel maybe wasn't such a hot idea. Phantom Hourglass was excellent, however. I didn't mind the touch-screen controls in these games at all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
All of those rhythm games are ridiculously easy if you have ever touched an instrument or looked at a piece of sheet music once in your life.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

greatn posted:

All of those rhythm games are ridiculously easy if you have ever touched an instrument or looked at a piece of sheet music once in your life.
What if you haven't?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The rhythm games in ST sucked because they depended on the bad DS microphone, which meant, among other things, they were impossible to play anywhere that wasn't quiet. Not great for a portable system.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

eagerly awaiting an eshop release that isnt Muramasa, Zero Mission, SMRPG, Xenoblade, or the Last Story. gently caress you EU/Japan

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You forgot Trauma Team!

Runbow's out in NA this week and NOA seems to think it's worth pushing, at least.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hated that demo. It seems like it was just designed to give people epilepsy and frustrate those of us with some colorblindness.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/635844049547694080

quote:

It’s Builders Week! Complete challenges and play great eShop games – all leading up to the release of VS. Excitebike!

I'm gonna laugh if the final "hardcore" VC release is Vs. Excitebike. gently caress Excitebike.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Excitebike is the more hardcore game of all

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

What if you haven't?

enrich yourself

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Terper posted:

All 2D Zeldas are inherently superior to the 3D Zeldas.
There have certainly been great games since, but A Link to the Past is still the benchmark of the series for me.
When it comes to the soundtracks, though, I don't know that there's any real challenge to Ocarina of Time.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MisterAlex posted:

There have certainly been great games since, but A Link to the Past is still the benchmark of the series for me.
When it comes to the soundtracks, though, I don't know that there's any real challenge to Ocarina of Time.
Most of Ocarina's good music comes from LttP anyway. The actual Ocarina tunes are cool but the dungeon music is largely pretty forgettable.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

It's 2015 and I still to this day sometimes load up a video of the title screen of Ocarina of Time because it's perfect

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/635844049547694080

I'm gonna laugh if the final "hardcore" VC release is Vs. Excitebike. gently caress Excitebike.

I really didn't understand when you said it was "hardcore month" for VC and there's been like, nothing save for Advance Wars 2. Like, what were they thinking? Everything that came out for other regions was much better. I suppose it's for the best that they save everything else for like, October or December in the lull months though.

I really wanted to be able to play a Trauma Team with the Gamepad. You'd think making a new one compatible with the screen would be a no brainer.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MinibarMatchman posted:

I really didn't understand when you said it was "hardcore month" for VC and there's been like, nothing save for Advance Wars 2. Like, what were they thinking? Everything that came out for other regions was much better. I suppose it's for the best that they save everything else for like, October or December in the lull months though.

I really wanted to be able to play a Trauma Team with the Gamepad. You'd think making a new one compatible with the screen would be a no brainer.

Pandora's Tower came out like 2-3 weeks ago. :v:

Also even if Trauma Team came out, you wouldn't be able to use the Gamepad anyway since that game was only controlled with Wiimote and Nunchuk.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Golden Sun 2, Onimusha Tactics, Advance Wars 2, Koei SNES Game #69 and Pandora's Tower could all be fairly described as "hardcore", I think.

Vs. Excitebike is only "hardcore" in the sense that it's a specific version that's never left Japan but it's still just fuckin' Excitebike so who cares.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like Excitebike 64.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's weird to me that the Trauma Centre games died out. I remember feeling like the Wii versions actually got a pretty big marketing push here in the UK at least, there were always ads for them. I guess they just didn't sell? I know it's a weird anime game but it's still kind of surprising because I was able to get people that didn't play video games at all way into the original on DS

A Wii U TC really would've been a perfect game to help people 'get' the gamepad, I bet there's a lot of cool stuff they could've done with it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They died because Atlus poured a lot of money into Trauma Team and made a lot of changes to appeal more to international fans but it was a huge flop.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nintendo should have bought atlus out so they could make as much TC and Ogre Battle touchscreen games as they desired, god I miss Ogre Battle. I wonder if they even still own the rights.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ogre Battle is S-E now, I think.

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Dark Water has been confirmed as an eShop exclusive in NA, too.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Golden Sun 2 could be fairly described as "hardcore", I think.

Uhm, you mean hardcore A-pressing as you skip battles and dialogue?

PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

Delicious endangered confection!

Ogre Battle is S-E now, I think.

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Dark Water has been confirmed as an eShop exclusive in NA, too.

For Fatal Frame: Maiden of Dark you can play the beginning for free. Then you gotta pay for the rest of the game. $49.99. Or so what they say. I'm cool with it, since I love Fatal Frame and would buy it anyway.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

And More posted:

Noone said they were good games, homie. "Hardcore" = niche.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

And More posted:

No, hardcore checking GameFAQs because you have no idea what random event flag you need to trigger for the next cutscene

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

They died because Atlus poured a lot of money into Trauma Team and made a lot of changes to appeal more to international fans but it was a huge flop.

And now Persona is their cash cow.

edit: I wonder how well SMTIV did

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 24, 2015

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

PandaCookies posted:

For Fatal Frame: Maiden of Dark you can play the beginning for free. Then you gotta pay for the rest of the game. $49.99. Or so what they say. I'm cool with it, since I love Fatal Frame and would buy it anyway.

I'm glad they're doing this. It's basically just a different way of putting out a demo, which, for me, is necessary for these types of games.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I hope for October they release all of the Castlevania games for DS and Castlevania judgement.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Fritzler posted:

I hope for October they release all of the Castlevania games for DS and Castlevania judgement.

And Legacy of Darkness

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Don't worry, Konami will get to deleting all copies of Castlevania forever just as soon as the pachinko machine is out.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'm miffed that the old Rocket Knight Adventure might never see the light of digital distribution or even a pachinko slot.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I thought that I might get Devil's Third because it looks nutty as hell and the lead dev is crazy as gently caress and reminiscent of John Romero, but seeing that list of IAP currency for sale just made me say gently caress it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

And now Persona is their cash cow.

edit: I wonder how well SMTIV did

If I'm recalling correctly, it's the best-selling mainline SMT to date.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope DQ11, Persona 5 and SMTxFE #Fates Forever or whatever it's called all sell a bajillion units so Altus is encouraged to make SMTV a really nice looking console game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

In Training posted:

I hope DQ11, Persona 5 and SMTxFE #Fates Forever or whatever it's called all sell a bajillion units so Altus is encouraged to make SMTV a really nice looking console game.

With an acronym like that, it'll have to be either a console game or a P4 spinoff

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SMT V will be a great iOS game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Quest For Glory II posted:

SMT V will be a great iOS game

You think this is funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest