Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
B) Shake your head, but give up.

If our arms are about to explode, our arms are about to explode and being stubborn isn't going to make our arms explode any less. We might as well accept that our arms are about to explode despite the fact that we want to finish digging this grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
D

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
D

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

B) I'll never give up! *collapses on stone slab* Uncle Liu has something important to tell us, might as well stop for a minute to hear what he has to say. It's the respectful thing to do. (I'm assuming "give up" means "stop digging for a minute and take a break" and not "I surrender to Rong and give him all my silvers and swear an oath of fealty to him" here)

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
D

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
B I guess.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Tears wells up in your eyes, but you nod at your weakness, but you say you won't give up.

Uncle Liu gives you a hug, “Such a strong child” He said. Then, he stands up and sits down next to the stone bed. “Rest yourself on the stone bed, boy. Your body needs all the rest you can afford. “

You try to protest, but you don’t have any other alternative, so rest on top of the stone bed. It’s very flat, as if someone cut a line through it. It’s also very hard, and it might be better to rest on the grass instead. Is that why Uncle Liu sits on the grass? You asked him that.

“Hoho, no. Softness does not mean it’s good for the body. Regardless of what is suitable for your body to lie upon, the reason I have you rest on it is because it’s flat and on a good height.”

You rub your muscle while he explains, but Uncle Liu stopped you from rubbing and told you to close your eyes, and listen to him carefully.

“Long time ago,” He begins, “I was a traveler sleeping in foreign beds that I can’t get used to.” You heard him take a sip of his tea before continuing, “And many sleepless night troubles me. Even the doctors can’t keep me asleep for a single full night. Fortunately, I met an unnamed gentleman who showed me a method to attain good sleep. Today, I will pass it down to you.” You heard him take in a deep breath. “Take in a deep breath and release it like I do.” You did so. “Good.”

“Now, without opening your eyes, remember your surround scenery. Listen to the voices of nature. From those voices, find the voice of the wind.”

Wind? You listened to surrounding. The loudest sound is the birds chirping their eternal song on the tree. To whom do they sing the song? Next, the swaying of the tree and grass by the wind. Are those the sound of wind? No. It’s the sound of tree and grass.

Finally, a particularly strong wind sing pass you, and you hear it. FWOOOOCH~~~

You say you heard it and Uncle Liu say, “Good, remember that sound. Then try to breathe in and blow out in the same sound as the wind.”

Taking in a deep breath, you blew out a “FWOOOOCH~~~” sound.

“Excellence. That’s the sound. Now, turn the sound backward and make that sound while breathing in.” Uncle Liu instructed.

You thought of how that would sound and give it a try. You breath in, “ HCOOOOWF~~~” You breath out, “FWOOOOCH~~~”. At that moment, your body feels light, as if the air you let in has travelled far into your body. You repeat the excise many more time until your breathing itself is doing the sound naturally instead of your lung.

You feel Uncle Liu’s hand placed on your abdomen. “Now, breathe in and hold the air in this spot.” You did so and you can feel…

Chi.

The gentle and strong wind that trapped in your body spin and dash through your body, it’s a refreshingly cool feeling, but it settled down in your belly eventually.

Then, it begins to spins vertically, circulating through your whole body in harmonic motion with your blood. Your blood sways like wave of water, your soreness wash away, and your fatigue wiped along with the cooling breeze. This moment of serene calm could go on forever, but you felt a touch on your shoulder.

“Wake up.” Uncle Liu said. You open your eyes.

The sun has rise to its highest point in heaven. Uncle Liu stands next to you and gesture you to get up. You do so and…

The soreness is gone. Only minimal traces of it can be felt and there’s something else different. In your abdomen, is a feeling of an expanded world that connects throughout your body.

Uncle Liu pats on your head. “Go on, you have digging to do.” You nod and continue this impossible task.

You grip the shovel in your hand once more. Your muscle did not scream in soreness. You took a deep breath the way you did before, and your body feels charged with energy.

You stab the shovel into the soil. The whole head of the shovel goes in! You begin digging a lot more soil from each swing.

--------------------------
Digging Roll: 0 3 6 8 2 6
Result: 26 + 5 = 31

I just want to say how appropriate this dice roll is. You just gained one more dice from the rank up and that is the dice that helped you succeed. That and the +5 from the meal/Liu boost!
----------------------------

*Dig**DIg* *DIG*

Each breath fills you with strength to continue digging. Each strike plow the earth a full size shovel hole and each motion send soils flying.

*DIG**DIG**DIG*

At dusk, you finished half a hole. A proper size hole in fact! You were planning to dig enough to cover the body in three inches, but with your new found stamina, you are going the full six feet (You asked Uncle Liu) that’s suitable for a coffin!

When Wright brought you two dinners, his exclaim in surprise, “Wow, that’s a deep hole!” You both laughed.

Wright asks Uncle Liu if he has helped you, he denied and answers “Nothing of the physical nature.” It took you to swing the shovel again to convince Wright that you really do, indeed, digged that hole. He congratulates you and comment on how quick children grows. At this rate, you will finish the hole by tomorrow evening.

Would everything go as planned?

1) Everything went well.

2) Lore Sheet: Digging a Grave – (Gain 2 destiny) Interference

This is a custom lore sheet purchase that you can buy to gain bonus destiny (EXP) for some sort of trouble(s) with your grave digging. It could stretch into something longer than expected. Maybe three to five updates or more.

3) Write in Lore Sheet. Require GM approval.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
1 gently caress YOU RONG

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Grognan posted:

1 gently caress YOU RONG
lmao

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

2, overcoming problems builds character! Also, the more obstacles we overcome, the bigger our middle finger grows.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ask for the Old Man's help in dragging the body to the grave. Bury the Old Man alive. Eat our father's corpse and gain dark, mystical powers.

Beat Rong to death with our shovel.

Failing GM approval, 1

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

There Bias Two posted:

Ask for the Old Man's help in dragging the body to the grave. Bury the Old Man alive. Eat our father's corpse and gain dark, mystical powers.

Beat Rong to death with our shovel.

Failing GM approval, 1

Murder Rong and bury him with father. Father would approve.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Come on, people. Let's at least wait until we're a rebellious teenager before we start committing vile rituals for power.

(Also, I'm only picking 2 because I want to see what'd be on the loresheet.)

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
1, let's finish this and make with the kung-fu.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
2). Loresheets are cool.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
1 I'm ready for kung fu.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Getting a lore sheet is cool. But I'm not sure about a gravedigging one. How often is that going to come up on our adventure? I'd rather move on to the next scene.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Speleothing posted:

Getting a lore sheet is cool. But I'm not sure about a gravedigging one. How often is that going to come up on our adventure? I'd rather move on to the next scene.

Every time we need to hide a body?

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Speleothing posted:

All loresheets have a few elements that are always available, like making someone a recurring character or finding something useful or getting a reputation. So, even if this grave-digging loresheet ends up being nothing more than a loresheet tutorial, we can get something useful out of it.

I'd say more, but I don't want to step on Nyaa's toes here.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
2 I'm curious as to what the lore sheet does. And you never know, it could turn into something like shovel kung-fu... Or it'd give more character perks like chi regulation or something.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I'd say more, but I don't want to step on Nyaa's toes here.
Go ahead and explain any mechanic you like. I might do it a little differently due to the single character and voting nature of this CYOA.

Nondevor posted:

2 I'm curious as to what the lore sheet does. And you never know, it could turn into something like shovel kung-fu... Or it'd give more character perks like chi regulation or something.
Legend of Wulin is a system that let the player buy their destiny. Lore sheet can let you buy things that related to it or whatever the gm approves. They are the goal you choose to pursue in plot format and anything you buy are guarantee to be obtained in the end or sooner. After the tutorial, I will toss in a few lore sheet for you all to pick your 'main/side quest' or you can submit one instead.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
2, Want to see what could happen honestly

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
1 We've spent enough time digging graves, let's do other things.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Let's not dwell too long on this subject, it's done and we should not let this action be what defines us.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Skip 1111111111
Lore 1111111

Oh well. Here’s the summary for the plot that never happened.

When you return to finish up the grave next day, Rong is already there telling you there’s no hole, which is shocking to you and the late-arriving Wright to discovers the hole has been filled with soil and lots of rocks to make the digging harder.

You have a choice of digging it again, dig another spot, or accuse Rong of the vile deed. Wright would side with you this time. Halfway through your choice, a servant from the morgue comes to report that your father’s body was gone! Of course, Rong denied any involvement if you accuse him once more.

Next is the investigation phase where you follow Wright, Rong, and Uncle Liu to a few important scenes and interview a few people. You get to tag around and can choose to help find clues that Wright has missed, which will contribute to proving Rong is the culprit.

About three conveniently and very easily found evidences later, your party has gather enough to prove Rong is the culprit and send him to jail. Moreover, you will be granted the choice to find more clues to further strengthen the evidences. You might even find the hiding place of your father! However, as you gather more evidences, they begin to contradict the earlier evidences until you come to a conclusion, Wright was the real culprit. This is all a plot to frame Rong to make him lose his job. You have a choice to present this evidences immediately to make Wright lose his job or confront him privately with or without Uncle Liu.

If you do confront him, he will explain that he is doing a chivalrous deed by sending the scum, Rong, to prison. Uncle Liu would disagree with the shady method, but he will let you decides the outcome of this. If you agree with Wright, then Rong get fired and go to jail, but if you disagree with Wright and depend on how you confront him with your own philosophy of chivalry virtue, you might have to fight Wright. Uncle Liu’s actions here are omitted for spoilers. If Wright wins, you are knocked out and when you wake up, Rong is in prison and all evidence on Wright is gone. If Wright lose, you beat the villain and can choose to get Wright fired+prison, Rong fired+prison, or cover it all up and let it pass.

All choices allows write-in, of course. :v:
-------------------------------------------

Speaking of write-in, you will choose some part-time jobs next update to determine your starting skill, and you are welcome to make some recommendation for entry level job while I work on the next update!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Street Sweeper if we've come to terms with being poor, Longshoreman if we still have pretensions and aspirations of being middle class. The one brings us around everyone in the city and takes advantage of our stick-based-tool skills, while the other keeps us near merchants and middlemen and builds strong muscles.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Obviously we should become a cook, so we can make noodles and give them to other street kids (and build a loyal army of street rats).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Outrail posted:

Obviously we should become a cook, so we can make noodles and give them to other street kids (and build a loyal army of street rats).

This right here. Kung Fu and cookery go hand in hand.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Perhaps a monastery would take us in, we are an orphan after all, and we just learned about chi?
It would be a more traditional role towards being a Kung Fu Legend of course, and something less normal might be more fun to explore.

Recommendations:
Apprentice Monk.
Apprentice to Wandering Scholar.
Join a Gang.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Could always go the route of an apprentice monk cook. Or some sort of a wanderer gravedigger.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
We already invested in a shovel and mastered the art of gravedigging. Let's be a wandering gravedigger and undercut the cops.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Let's take our cue from Water Margin and be a Cook & Wandering Gravedigger :stonk:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Rockopolis posted:

Let's take our cue from Water Margin and be a Cook & Wandering Ditchdigger :stonk:
FTFY

How many graves need to be dug in a town anyway? Cook is the important bit, though

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Speleothing posted:

FTFY

How many graves need to be dug in a town anyway? Cook is the important bit, though
Wuxia be a hardcore genre, yo.

Zhang Qing, 102 Star of Destiny posted:

The couple run a tavern at Cross Slope, where they lure unwary travellers into their tavern and knock them out by adding drugs into their food and drinks. They kill their victims and rob them of their valuables. Sometimes, they even make meat buns with human flesh fillings from their victims and serve them to other customers.
We swear to never go hungry again.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We should obviously apprentice to a doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Beggar