Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Good poo poo. I like the texture on that mat. Ideally I'd like to get one printed up that has snowy coblestones.

WIP treasure tokens:

Air-dry clay, rolled into the hollow of an Amera piece to give it a little texture, gold spray paint, army painter wash, little plastic gem things, gold glitter.

VVVVVVVVVV

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Those are looking pretty ace, what are they made from? (sorry if you already mentioned it earlier and I missed it).

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Thanks! Now I have to decide if I want to use the "Cruel Conjurer's Two-handed Sword of the Haunted Curse of the Barbaric Gnomes" or the "Two-handed Sword of the Good Illusion of the Glowing Moon" :(

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I'm friends with the guy who runs that site. Shall I bug him about making a random wizard name generator?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Yes, please

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
He says he'll keep it in mind. :neckbeard:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Those treasure tokens are lovely !

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Rather than inspiring me to put together some cool terrain and poo poo myself (I'm far too inept for that), the pics in this thread are just making me want to track you people down and play this game with all of you. None of you frosty wizards would happen to be in or near NYC, would you?

(Not that I'll have much free time in the near future, with this 2-week-old baby on my hands.)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Had a demo game of this. It didn't go well due to my opponent rarely rolling less than 15 and me only getting high rolls when it wasn't important (like initiative when my opponent rolled a 1).

Led to situations where I ganged up on an enemy 3-1 and the result of the combat was 2 of my guys taking 6 damage.

Also Bone Dart is stupid powerful for an 8 casting value. Should probably either be a 10 or drop the attack bonus to +3.

At the end of it I lost 6 guys and made it off with 2 treasure, my opponent lost 1 guy and got the other 5 (thanks to reveal secret there was extra treasure).

Still, it was a learning game so hopefully I'll do better next time. I had fun anyway and we joked about the outrageous disparity in luck.

We did get a couple of things wrong on account of them being in the FAQ and not the main rules (if you are engaged in combat you can only perform a Fight action for one). I also forgot about empowering spells so ended up failing an important spell by 1, d'oh.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm usually a fan of "curvier" dice resolution systems, but I think that the D20 thing works for the dark/low fantasy vibe of Frostgrave, where the dudes are just grubby mercenaries after treasure, and even the veterans are only a few pegs above a thug with nothing more than a club and a heart full of malice.

Any given combat has the potential to go really pear shaped, and on a bad day the other warband's mangy rotweiller might just up and eat your apprentice-- so get the treasure and GTFO. Does sound like a particularly bad run of luck though if a 3-on-1 combat went against you as brutal as the ganging up on a dude rules are.

Magic shooting in general is terrifying, and magic ranged attacks. Some just awful spells like Blinding Light and Mind Control are unlimited range LOS, not to mention Imp which lets them just drop a demon right by your guy... so you really gotta clutter up the board so there's very few shooting galleries.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ineptmule posted:

I play Necromunda and Gorkamorka so bookkeeping is not exactly going to turn me off. The more bookkeeping the better, I say! I'm the guy who likes to find ways to deepen the post-battle sequence for Necro, so take from that what you will.
I've got a guy in my gaming group who hates NM and calls it Accountancy-Omunda.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting some treasures from the oath thread.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
They look great. I will definitely have a go at making some tokens, although may try make them look compatible with Mordheim.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Rather than inspiring me to put together some cool terrain and poo poo myself (I'm far too inept for that)

Well this was an exceptionally unfortunate turn of phrase.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

Guildencrantz posted:

Well this was an exceptionally unfortunate turn of phrase.

Damnit, I read this and had my own near-disaster.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Lol

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Haha! Well don't tell me you've never smelled feces at your FLGS.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If you goons aren't already, I recommend the FB group for this game. Unlike many groups for nerds to talk about TT games this seems largely free of toxicity and drama (could be the "new game enthusiasm") and has people posting really cool tables/warbands/conversions. Plus the author participates and will occasionally pop in to clear up a ruling or ask for feedback for future expansions and stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Frostgrave/

E: Here's the author's blog, his most recent post talks about a second expansion in the works for January, some balance issues, and quantifies how much of a runaway success this thing has been: Sold right through two print runs in under a month, and the third is on the way.

http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.ca/

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 24, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Haha! Well don't tell me you've never smelled feces at your FLGS.

I wish that I could deny this. :smith:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Otisburg posted:

E: Here's the author's blog, his most recent post talks about a second expansion in the works for January, some balance issues, and quantifies how much of a runaway success this thing has been: Sold right through two print runs in under a month, and the third is on the way.

http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.ca/

That's great to hear. :unsmith: My brother has a physical copy of the book and it is a nicely done book indeed. I'll probably be picking the Kindle version up myself when I get paid later this week.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Frostgrave sounds interesting but the impression I'm getting here is "wait for a 2nd edition"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Nah. It's only $20 and you can play with lego mans. Won't be a second ed if the first doesn't sell.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

They have already sold out two full printings and are working on the third, I am pretty sure it has already hit the mark for selling ok.

I mean you should buy it anyway because its a neat book and the flaws aren't so much that you need a new edition to make it playable, but I don't think its in danger from lack of interest.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Speleothing posted:

Nah. It's only $20 and you can play with lego mans. Won't be a second ed if the first doesn't sell.

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/Frostbrick/

I led my son and his friend through their first game of Frostbrick the other day. He's stoked.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Get the book if only for the look, feel, and art of it. Honestly it's refreshing for a gaming product to not have hot rear end for artwork.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Yeeeeeeeeeeeee !

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

If you are on the fence over this book let me tell you two things. This book is rock solid and I am a grumpy rear end in a top hat.

It's a great system for 20 bucks assuming no discounts. Get a discount. The scaling is really good, power creep is controlled. I guess a maxed out warband could be a problem but imho it is NOTHING even remotely near necromunda or mordaheim levels. Let me tell you I have seen some crazy poo poo in Mordaheim. Magic items are overpriced and rare, as well as not that good. All wizards get all spells availible at creation. Henchmen power / gear levels cost exponentially more and don't top out that high. Your warband ends up feeling your own with the cool base upgrades.

Experience for spell damage needs a tweak. Maybe some kind of break system to get treasure or a mordaheim auto income. But these are all niggles, the game is solid, fun, and plays great.

Verdict Worth a buy if you like skirmishes.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I am gonna play my first game with 3 bros soon, will be mixing up the warband creation a little bit

Instead of creating full warbands for everyone, I have picked out wizards for everyone, and then when we play we will all take our wizards and buy our henchmen from a combined pool limited by the models I have

I will have lots of thugs and thieves and hounds available, but I will only provide single stronger dudes like Knights and barbarians

So if some picks the knight cause they think he looks cool, then they will be the only warband with a knight initially

This solves my problem of not really having enough models to provide for 4 people but I also think it's gonna feel kinda cool and organic

Frostgroove

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

On payday I'm going to pick up some of these:

http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7467

These:
http://fireforge-games.com/fireforge-games-miniatures/coming-soon/teutonic-infantry-preview

These:
http://fireforge-games.com/webstore/men-at-arms/foot-sergeants-details

And to mix things up these:
http://fireforge-games.com/webstore/mongol-horde/steppe-warriors-details
To be lead by him as the wizard:
https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Savage%20Worlds/latest/59028

And finally these:
http://thedicebaglady.net/heroic-scale-female-heads-x-10/

All of the above should be mix and matchable for all kinds of mans.

I'm going to build out 4 complete starter warbands for demos, and give away enough sprues with a bones wizard/apprentice and mastiff for a couple people to start their own warbands as door prizes. I am going to build a local scene for this thing. Going full Frosty on this thing.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

TheDiceBagLady posted:

I've just made five adventurers out of kitbashing the plastic soldiers box and the statuesque female bald heads. Really easy to do, and the result I think is awesome. I sell the heads and troops of course . Wasn't entirely commercial, was partly to prove some people on another forum wrong (that it wouldn't work) and to find out which of the heads I stock work best. Statuesque heroic are PERFECT. Others are a bit small. And then I actually had fun and did some painting outside of my tin box office!

http://thedicebaglady.net/frostgrave-solider-box-set-of-20-troops/

I'll pick up a set of the heads if you're at Derby World Wargames again! I was demonstrating model airbrushing last year and will be doing the same this year. And if you're not there I'll get some anyway :)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

:getin:

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

Otisburg posted:

On payday I'm going to pick up some of these:

http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7467

These:
http://fireforge-games.com/fireforge-games-miniatures/coming-soon/teutonic-infantry-preview

These:
http://fireforge-games.com/webstore/men-at-arms/foot-sergeants-details

And to mix things up these:
http://fireforge-games.com/webstore/mongol-horde/steppe-warriors-details
To be lead by him as the wizard:
https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Savage%20Worlds/latest/59028

And finally these:
http://thedicebaglady.net/heroic-scale-female-heads-x-10/

All of the above should be mix and matchable for all kinds of mans.

I'm going to build out 4 complete starter warbands for demos, and give away enough sprues with a bones wizard/apprentice and mastiff for a couple people to start their own warbands as door prizes. I am going to build a local scene for this thing. Going full Frosty on this thing.

Dude you know I sell ALL of those, not just the heads? (Fireforge, Frostgrave, Heads, not the Reaper guy in stock, but I can get him)

Krushgroove - I'll be at Derby Worlds with a big ol' stall!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TheDiceBagLady posted:

Dude you know I sell ALL of those, not just the heads? (Fireforge, Frostgrave, Heads, not the Reaper guy in stock, but I can get him)

Found an eBay retailer stateside who's a little cheaper for the Fireforge stuff with free P&P, but totally going through you for the extra Frostgrave mans and ladyheads! Even gonna pick up an extra sprue for my friend I introduced to the game, as she wants to do an all-female warband.

Also planning to pick up a bunch of mastiffs direct from Warlord, they're cheap as heck. I ordered some of the wolfhounds before I realized that was a more handsome option.

Still trying to sort out a good apprentice for Warlord Kang, or maybe he'd be the apprentice depending. Him and his gang of Steppe Mercenaries are gonna be a nice counterpoint to the Euro look of errybody else though.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 25, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

TheDiceBagLady posted:

Krushgroove - I'll be at Derby Worlds with a big ol' stall!

Great! I'll be on at the Barwell Bodyworks/Badger airbrush & paints table, hopefully the only airbrush demonstrator there :) I'll probably spend more during the weekend than I'll make but that's the hobby for ya ;)

Actually I would be surprised if there isn't a local club doing a demo of Frostgrave!

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

Otisburg posted:

Found an eBay retailer stateside who's a little cheaper for the Fireforge stuff with free P&P, but totally going through you for the extra Frostgrave mans and ladyheads! Even gonna pick up an extra sprue for my friend I introduced to the game, as she wants to do an all-female warband.

Also planning to pick up a bunch of mastiffs direct from Warlord, they're cheap as heck. I ordered some of the wolfhounds before I realized that was a more handsome option.

Still trying to sort out a good apprentice for Warlord Kang, or maybe he'd be the apprentice depending. Him and his gang of Steppe Mercenaries are gonna be a nice counterpoint to the Euro look of errybody else though.

No worries, been tinkering with my site the last month & still have the odd "I had no idea you had that!" so was just suggesting to save P&P (it's ok I don't stalk and kill people who buy from other places......much :D )

Seen as Northstar are fairly local to Derby, I'd be surprised if they weren't running something themselves. They will be at Partizan (Newark) next month.

I rarely spend at shows as I'm usually just by myself so can never get to look around, which is probably a good thing, for the wallet at least. Last year though at Derby I was sat opposite a bookstall selling precisely the book set I had been looking for for...years. It was actually popped up and staring at me. Then the trader next to me bought some stuff, and I took the money straight across to the book chap :D I do wonder ho much money just circulates between the traders!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I dropped in to Dark Sphere to collect my FG Soldiers box and ended up leaving with a whole load of Khador Infantry. I think they'll look ace for Frostgrave with all their winter gear.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Dark Sphere has a Frostgrave FB group starting up to organise games. It's pretty empty just now, join in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I saw a bit of chat about it on one of the DS groups but now I can't see the FG group anywhere. What's it called?