Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
gently caress, the 280 got sold. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You really need a credit card to build your score if you ever decide you want a house some day.

I have one I just put gas only on. I get 5% back on gas purchases, so I end up getting a nice check at the end of the year. My other card is used for all my other bullshit, and I can either elect to get airline miles (stopped this, it wasn't that good of a deal) and now I get Amazon rewards, which I do use for car parts.

If you can pay it in full every month and get some rewards out of them, its really worth it. Plus I track all my work expenses with it, so filing taxes is much easier. It does take a little effort in terms of book keeping, but its worth it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

That's the ZX you're thinking of.

Nah, the ZX could be two-seater or 2+2. The two-seater ones still look better than the 2+2s - Nissan didn't figure out how to make a non-janky-as-gently caress 2+2 Z until the Z32.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nah, the ZX could be two-seater or 2+2. The two-seater ones still look better than the 2+2s - Nissan didn't figure out how to make a non-janky-as-gently caress 2+2 Z until the Z32.

God loving bless. An old boss of mine--rich dude in his 60s, independently wealthy since the early 80s (probably coke related)--has a z32 that sits in his warehouse. The titanium key has like zero wear. It gets turned over and moved like every 2 years :cry:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
What a poo poo loving day. I'm going to drink all of the beers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I already do that but everytime I get a YOUR BILL IS COMING DUE email I die a little inside.

Figure out how much money you need to cover every last one of your monthly bills. Set that as a 'bar' that you never EVER let your checking account drop below. Put all your bills on auto-pay and just monitor them semi-monthly.

Life is so much easier when I can just glance at the balance and see instantly how much money I have (whatever is there that is over the 'bar' I have set) if I am interested in buying something. This has the great side effect of making it pretty much impossible for an accidental overdraft to happen, since the bills come in all through the month, but the balance should never be lower than the amount to cover *all* of them.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I beg to differ :colbert:

The original 2+2 z-cars always reminded me a lot of Jensen Interceptors, without the goofy windows with a million pillars.

ishikabibble fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 25, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You can beg all you want and you're still wrong on literally every count

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Whoever linked that toyota name plate thing earlier, I thank you. Mine came in today:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Weird week. We had a flood of busted trucks on Friday, which whipped everyone into :frogsiren::supaburn:EMERGENCY PANIC RED ALERT FOUR ALARM:supaburn::frogsiren: mode, myself included. So I started Saturday all LETS DO THIS poo poo. Fixed the stuff that had to roll, then I carried that momentum into the noncritical 'ehh we'll do it next service' stuff. Then I ran out of stuff to fix so I cleaned the shop and hung out with the drivers who were there to tarp loads/wash their trucks for like 2 hours.
Sure made today boring though. I milked a service for the entire morning, then pretended that a brake clevis was a lot more seized than it really was for the afternoon and went home 2 hours early. Went to the junkyard to get wheels for my new truck and dismounted the lovely tires with zero tools, just used random bits of metal around the yard as tire bars to see if I could.
Now I'm drinking beer because it's my Friday and life is good.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 25, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
9:40PM and stuck at work watching a process that has averaged 5% per hour over the past three hours. Wasn't able to pick my car up from the shop because I have been stuck here since 3pm. Listening to Pandora mixes and trying to keep my sanity.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Well, the 2003 highlander we inherited from the in laws was deemed unsafe and too expensive to repair. We are getting a steal of a deal on their 2011 saaaaaab sportcombi that MIL has never really enjoyed. Guess I can't complain too much. Turbo, awd, leather... And price was too good to pass up. The day could have gone worse I guess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Indy car driver that got hit in the head with debris died :(

Open cockpits are just dumb these days, close that poo poo up.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Turns out the handlebars on my fiancee's motorcycle are bent enough that I can't seem to get them straight again. Is there any preferred technique to achieving this, or should I pony up for new bars?

79 CB650 so I'm assuming nearly any honda/UJM bike from a 5 year radius to that will fit.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Geirskogul posted:

Whoever linked that toyota name plate thing earlier, I thank you. Mine came in today:

That's a rather bold name for an ACVW...:supaburn:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Holdbrooks posted:

I felt great after neai so I decided to go drive 16 hours to have a burger with slow is fast and watch the sunrise at the furthest east place in the Contiguous U.S.

So you went to Quoddy Head, eh? I almost died in the ocean round-abouts there... but it sure is pretty when the weather is nice.

leica posted:

The Indy car driver that got hit in the head with debris died :(

Open cockpits are just dumb these days, close that poo poo up.

Justin Wilson. That's a shame. Henry Surtees was a similar situation, but with a wheel... I don't know if closed cockpit is the answer, but I dunno. If they take all the risk out, it'll be less interesting to watch. However, the body count isn't exactly dropping.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 25, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Had the GTI in the garage for one night. Front end basically dismantled...tomorrow the cooling system comes off, and start labelling wires for engine removal.

Current 1.8 16v (kr) has some bad rod knock, but I have a 2.0 (9a) block sitting here. So hopefully within two weeks have it running again. Hopefully.

Oh god it's gonna be a year isn't it

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UApjsGZNO3w

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Phone posted:

Anyone have any hot tips for painting new wheels? Recommendations for paint that will hold up?

I'm thinking about buying some black RPF1s, wet sanding off the clear, hit it with VHT engine enamel, and clear them; leave the barrel black.

Powercoat them

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Had the GTI in the garage for one night. Front end basically dismantled...tomorrow the cooling system comes off, and start labelling wires for engine removal.

Current 1.8 16v (kr) has some bad rod knock, but I have a 2.0 (9a) block sitting here. So hopefully within two weeks have it running again. Hopefully.

Oh god it's gonna be a year isn't it

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure the blocks between the 16v heads and blocks are all interchangeable so it should be pretty straight forward. I think the 1.8 heads were optimised for exhaust but that info came from VWvortex so whether it's true is anybody's guess.

I still need to determine if an ABA block will clear the Scirocco's hood for mine.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

What a fool I've been, I listened to Primus's version of Amos Moses and now I'll probably have to listen to it at least 10 more times tonight.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

What a fool I've been, I listened to Primus's version of Amos Moses and now I'll probably have to listen to it at least 10 more times tonight.

I never bothered with Rhinoplasty (live/bside/cover albums rarely do much for me) and I now realize what a grave mistake that was.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

1500quidporsche posted:

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure the blocks between the 16v heads and blocks are all interchangeable so it should be pretty straight forward. I think the 1.8 heads were optimised for exhaust but that info came from VWvortex so whether it's true is anybody's guess.

I still need to determine if an ABA block will clear the Scirocco's hood for mine.

Mk1 or 2 scirocco? If mk2 then yeah it will for sure.

And yeah they're interchangeable, its just the headache of yanking it and swapping poo poo over. I have another head also, but again if the one that's on the current motor is known good, why gently caress with it?

Need a water pump, timing belt, battery and swap in a new coil...Try and tidy some wiring up as I go also. And front strut caps/bearings. This is gonna be a rat build from hell.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mk2. I assumed the Mk1 wouldn't work since it had some wonky design decisions like a lower hoodline and the front suspension being shorter than all the other Mk1 chassis cars.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My buddy's car is a MK2 rocco with an ABA swap, so it's definitely doable and fairly straightforward.

The early water cooled scene is loving horrible here, everything is mk3+ and hellaflush :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ozmiander posted:

My rear end is still sore from NEAI, and not for the reasons you'd think.

I didn't know CSB was there.

Holdbrooks posted:

I felt great after neai so I decided to go drive 16 hours to have a burger with slow is fast and watch the sunrise at the furthest east place in the Contiguous U.S.

That avatar :stonk:

Raluek posted:

Well, minimum wage is 20% higher now than it was in 2001, so that helps. I don't remember what grocieries etc cost at that time (I was in middle school, lol) so I guess it's possible that that stuff has risen more than 20%.

As someone who worked in a grocery store from 2006 to 2010, and again last year...

Groceries have gone up at least 20%, probably more like 30-35%, since 2001. Especially milk and eggs.

I also make less per hour today than I did in 2001, and I'm doing the same job. In 2001, I was making $8.50 an hour, plus 65c/delivery. Today I make $5.60/hour, plus $1.02/delivery, and there's also a delivery charge that gets passed on to the customer.

I stopped by the grocery store I worked at from 06-10 tonight. Ran into a couple of familiar faces - one of my old department managers is a store manager now, so I'm going to apply and maybe give her a call to see if she can give someone a nudge. Whole Foods pays decent, though I'd prefer to remain part time (<32 hrs/week) so I can also finish school, and also NOT get enrolled in their medical insurance (which has a pretty high deductible and much higher out of pocket - I like my $0 deductible/$500 out of pocket plan, even if a lot of doctors don't take it).

Noise Complaint posted:

You also got another job like days afterwords so I'm not sure why people are still ragging on that.

Oh c'mon, we still rag on him about splash guards.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Can I just like roll all my debt into one payment plan so I don't have to pay like 4,000 bills every month?

Take out a signature (personal unsecured) loan in the amount of your debt, if your credit is good enough. Use that loan to pay off all of the debt. Then you have one payment. Or take one one for all of your debt except for your car, which I'm sure you owe plenty on, and trying to get an unsecured loan of that size would get you laughed out of the bank with what your yearly income has been.

Getting that loan is much more likely to happen if you belong to a credit union and have excellent credit.

SuperDucky posted:

If you're 26 and unable to get a card that carries a limit below the price of an Xbox One then, please, by all means, don't loving get a credit card.

edit: wait, is getting a card with a limit that low even loving possible!?

I have two cards. A secured Mastercard card with a $250 limit (and since it's tied to a CD, I can't raise the limit like you can with most secured cards - but also have a low [for secured] APR of 9.9%), and a Walmart store card with a $300 limit.

Pretty sure with the two combined I wouldn't be able to get a XBone. And I have a lot of deferred maintenance that's going to bite me in the rear end pretty soon.

It looks like I'm going to have a pretty large (4 figure) tax refund coming next year; that'll go into paying off both cards, what little medical debt I still have, and opening another secured card with a far higher limit (if I don't qualify for an unsecured Visa/MC by then).

ssjonizuka posted:

Well, the 2003 highlander we inherited from the in laws was deemed unsafe and too expensive to repair.

Wait, how does a 2003 Toyota get into that bad of shape? :stare: Do I just have unrealistic expectations of how long cars should last? There's an 03 Avalon in the driveway that's nearly pristine, aside from leaking decent amounts of [s]oil rust proofing, and a couple of door dings. Leather even looks new. Only issues it has is it could use shocks sometime soon, the odometer backlight is burned out, and it has a little bit of a lifter tick when it's cold.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 25, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

some texas redneck posted:

I have two cards. A secured Mastercard card with a $250 limit (and since it's tied to a CD, I can't raise the limit like you can with most secured cards - but also have a low [for secured] APR of 9.9%), and a Walmart store card with a $300 limit.

Pretty sure with the two combined I wouldn't be able to get a XBone. And I have a lot of deferred maintenance that's going to bite me in the rear end pretty soon.

It looks like I'm going to have a pretty large (4 figure) tax refund coming next year; that'll go into paying off both cards, what little medical debt I still have, and opening another secured card with a far higher limit (if I don't qualify for an unsecured Visa/MC by then).

Aren't xbones like $350 now?

Regardless. Wife and I have 3 cards, a $6k Amazon card through Chase, a $4k card through USAA, and a $250 card that my wife has had since she was 18 and is her longest open account so she doesn't want to close it. About to use some of that credit to buy me some tools!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I honestly haven't kept up with the pricing on them, so I don't know. I wouldn't mind picking up a couple of Xbox 360s that aren't banned, but solely to use as Windows Media Center extenders instead of kludging together old PCs to use as DVRs (my desktop has more than enough oomph to handle it).

My oldest trade line at the moment is federal student loans; oldest open private line of credit is my USAA secured card.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Wait, how does a 2003 Toyota get into that bad of shape? :stare: Do I just have unrealistic expectations of how long cars should last? There's an 03 Avalon in the driveway that's nearly pristine, aside from leaking decent amounts of [s]oil rust proofing, and a couple of door dings. Leather even looks new. Only issues it has is it could use shocks sometime soon, the odometer backlight is burned out, and it has a little bit of a lifter tick when it's cold.

Vermont is like Rome. They salt the earth until there are only tears. My Mom's 2002 Ford Escape had to be sold due to excessive unrepairable rust in the wheel arches and supports.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

I wouldn't mind picking up a couple of Xbox 360s that aren't banned, but solely to use as Windows Media Center extenders instead of kludging together old PCs to use as DVRs (my desktop has more than enough oomph to handle it).
I've been trying to make that poo poo work since 2006. Don't.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That bad huh? Even with Windows 8.1 on the PC handling everything? The upside to that is I thought the XB360 would be able to stream "copy once" video from the PC, but I may be way off on that. TWC marks loving every copy once, except for local channels that you can get OTA.

It's kind of a moot point now anyway though - TWC has a Roku app that lets you watch live TV on any Roku (though you do have to subscribe to TWC's internet as well - and after seeing the price difference, I switched over pretty quickly). Can't do the DVR bit, but only my stepdad and myself actually use DVR functions, and mom is the only one who uses that ancient, almost-old-enough-to-buy-cigarettes 36" CRT.

At the moment I'm down to 3 PCs running Windows Media Center for TV stuff.

Master bedroom PC is an off-lease C2D 1.8 GHz HP enterprise desktop that I threw more RAM (4GB total) and a 1TB HDD at, plus a low profile Geforce GT 220 video card. Came with Windows 7 Pro. Its sole purpose in life is to work as a DVR and TV tuner, and it does a great job at that, when WMC isn't being a dick. Darchangel was a big help on that PC actually, mine came with a weird sideways-mount back panel that blocked access to the PCIx slot, while he had access to several PCs in the same line with the normal back panel.

Office PC is mom's i3 with a (dying) 500GB HDD and onboard video. She doesn't record anything on it, just opens up WMC now and then to watch TV in there. I think I'm going to just buy a cheap TV and lease another super basic cable adapter (they're free for a year) from TWC, she never uses the guide even on the TV with the full blown cable box anyway, and never watches the premium channels that the super basic box can't pick up.

My PC was a beast a few years ago - i5-2500k @ 4.3 GHz (was 4.5 until I swapped BIOS for EFI), 8GB RAM, 3.6 TB HDD space, etc. It's both my desktop PC and my media PC, and also hosts my Plex server. 2 monitors, Onkyo 5.1 receiver hooked up to it (optical for audio, HDMI for video), plus a TV hooked up to the receiver.

Guest bedroom used to have an old Pentium 4 2.8 that my neighbors threw out - had Windows 7 Home, 2GB RAM, and an ancient Raptor 38GB HDD in it, plus my old Geforce GT 220 in it. It actually handles 720p TV fine, except for fast moving scenes. Obviously wasn't used for recording with that small HDD, but it did the job. The IR receiver on it was flaky as poo poo though, and kept waking up the PC randomly. It was easier to get a free digital TV adapter and pull coax to that room instead of figuring out the PC. I'll do.. something.. with it one of these days. Probably turn it into a kitchen PC.

e: edited out a lot of poo poo and cut this poo poo in half. turns out the issues I had were due to a weak signal.. despite having a cable amp behind everything. Something is just MURDERING anything below about 55-60 MHz, so it's either a bad drop, a bad crimp (going to redo the ones I've done with compression fittings tomorrow), or the RG59 coax passing through the brick is in worse shape than I thought (in which case, I left enough slack in the new attic run that I can just pull it through the eve and connect to the existing ground block in 5 minutes).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 25, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm going to go clean the house and do a proper snagging inspection today, I'll also see if the builder will let me start putting curtains and blinds up. He sounded pretty pissed at me yesterday, might have something to do with my mortgage broker, my solicitor, his solicitor and his agent ask harassing him to get documents moved. I did say I'll raise hell on the phones. I have no sympathy for the fucker, booking another holiday when this poo poo isn't all sorted and he knew we were facing eviction.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Sigma X posted:

9:40PM and stuck at work watching a process that has averaged 5% per hour over the past three hours. Wasn't able to pick my car up from the shop because I have been stuck here since 3pm. Listening to Pandora mixes and trying to keep my sanity.

2:45AM still here :/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hopefully you are not salaried, or at least work for a cool company/boss that will compensate you in some other way (time off later or something).

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Alarbus posted:

Vermont is like Rome. They salt the earth until there are only tears. My Mom's 2002 Ford Escape had to be sold due to excessive unrepairable rust in the wheel arches and supports.

Pretty much this. Some rust perforation which would need to be repaired, but also something in the awd drive train would need to be fixed and rust is making that labor cost prohibitive, but also said part wasn't cheap, from what he said. I'm not equipped to fix it, and this deal was in the works anyways so it just pushed the time table forward a bit.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cakefool posted:

I'm going to go clean the house and do a proper snagging inspection today, I'll also see if the builder will let me start putting curtains and blinds up. He sounded pretty pissed at me yesterday, might have something to do with my mortgage broker, my solicitor, his solicitor and his agent ask harassing him to get documents moved. I did say I'll raise hell on the phones. I have no sympathy for the fucker, booking another holiday when this poo poo isn't all sorted and he knew we were facing eviction.

If it's a new build I'd be loving astonished if you have a list with under a dozen things on it. My girlfriend's parents moved into a new build, pretty huge and the amount of things I found wrong on just a cursory glance was incredible. My favourite was the confusion between the designer and the carpenter on the stairs which meant that if you ran your hand up the banister while you went up the stairs, there was a point 3/4 of the way up that the banister was hacked up so it would fit 'around' the floor above and crush your hand.

Like this but shittier and with a far nicer banister...

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The Locator posted:

Hopefully you are not salaried, or at least work for a cool company/boss that will compensate you in some other way (time off later or something).

I'm salary, but I'll be taking some comp time. I'd just take tomorrow (today) off, except I've got a meeting with my manager later on to discuss...stuff.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

El Jebus posted:

Aren't xbones like $350 now?

Regardless. Wife and I have 3 cards, a $6k Amazon card through Chase, a $4k card through USAA, and a $250 card that my wife has had since she was 18 and is her longest open account so she doesn't want to close it. About to use some of that credit to buy me some tools!

I got babies' first credit card last year, a year out of Uni and just after I'd dug myself out of a massive overdraft. I got approved with a £6,500 (currently ~$10,000) limit. :psyduck:

All I use it for is as a fraud buffer for online shopping, I have no idea why the bank would give a broke 24 year old that kind of leeway.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

jammyozzy posted:

I got babies' first credit card last year, a year out of Uni and just after I'd dug myself out of a massive overdraft. I got approved with a £6,500 (currently ~$10,000) limit. :psyduck:

All I use it for is as a fraud buffer for online shopping, I have no idea why the bank would give a broke 24 year old that kind of leeway.

...because you're very likely (statistically) to go spend it all and thus owe the bank a whole lot of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My friend got a credit card 2 years ago. Her limit was $300. Fresh out of college with no credit will do that to you.

• Locked thread