Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The typical "cyberpunk" computers you see in stuff like Gibson and Shadowrun are almost always based on the MSX/MSX2 platforms. Because that's what was big in Japan and Japan is the future. They were made by a number of manufacturers but overseen by Microsoft Japan, which eventually split off from MS and became notable publisher of budget video game titles ASCII/Agetec.

I've always wanted to put a modern machine into an F1XD, entirely so that I could drive a pair of VR goggles as a display and show up to ren faires as a confused console jockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Computer viking posted:

Uh, I thought the US had joined the rest of us in "unlimited SMS included in most plans"?
Unlimited texts are easily available, yeah. I have unlimited everything including data and have for many years. I think some carriers still have minute-based plans though which is crazy.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

I found this in a free box on the side of the road one day. It costs about $500 new, so I imagine not a lot of people have this. It actually worked, was missing a grip on the right foot but otherwise very solid. Could never think of an adequate use for it unless I had no arms.

I donated it to LGR, but he has yet to review it. :( Although he DID record a personalized Duke Nukem impression for donating it :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

MageMage posted:

I found this in a free box on the side of the road one day. It costs about $500 new, so I imagine not a lot of people have this. It actually worked, was missing a grip on the right foot but otherwise very solid. Could never think of an adequate use for it unless I had no arms.

I donated it to LGR, but he has yet to review it. :( Although he DID record a personalized Duke Nukem impression for donating it :)

When I took over the mess left behind by a couple of I.T. idiots digging through their piles of crap I eventually found a pair of these. At first I thought they were foot pedals for a flight sim! They clearly had never been used, just bought and tossed in a drawer like the rest of the hundreds of pounds of junk they'd accumulated.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well, can't say anything about this particular system, but pedals like these are actually really useful for example to people who transcript conversations. No need to take your hands from the keyboard, when you can manage the recording (rewind, pause) and load another one with your feet.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, can't say anything about this particular system, but pedals like these are actually really useful for example to people who transcript conversations. No need to take your hands from the keyboard, when you can manage the recording (rewind, pause) and load another one with your feet.

Yeah, there are a lot of transcriptionists in the Online Moneymaking thread, one of them probably would have been happy to throw out some cash for them.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

MageMage posted:

I can think of one reason to use these guys... :awesome:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

umalt posted:

I can think of one reason to use these guys... :awesome:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

My Lovely Horse posted:

Aside from storage, there are usability advantages to ripping a CD or DVD. You can put the files anywhere you want, make your own playlists, ignore lenghty animated menus and forced trailers...

Books, not so much. You take a printed book from the shelf and there's your content right there. Digital text has a huge storage and searchability advantage, but suddenly you have a (comparatively) whole lot of poo poo between you and the content.

Pretty much this - it'd be like going to the library and before you can enter, you have to wade through a mob of people trying to sell you random poo poo or talk your ear off about something you don't care about.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Exit Strategy posted:

I've always wanted to put a modern machine into an F1XD, entirely so that I could drive a pair of VR goggles as a display and show up to ren faires as a confused console jockey.

Don't be this guy. He has to exist, because people going to LARPs and Ren Faires for the first time think he's hilarious, but no one likes the guy who keeps showing up as marty McFly, or Dr.Who or the cast of Star Trek, or the characters from Sliders.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/08/saving-the-scream-queens/401141/

This makes me regret helping my friend get rid of a bunch of horror and explotation VHSes.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The closest thing I can think of in the internet age that feels like it's lost to the ages is some of the 2000-era online video/audio that were only available via RealPlayer streaming or something else that would be sort of proprietary and never got archived for the future.

For example, around 2000 there was some program you could install that would download files to watch a serialized 3D computer animated video of the band KISS having some supernatural adventure. I wasn't super into it or anything, but I tried looking up the technology one time I think for this thread and couldn't find a reference to it.

Edit: Turns out I finally found some of it that was apparently saved and posted to Youtube. It was called Kiss Immortals. But I could have sworn there was more to its distribution than just a video file.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Aug 22, 2015

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Count Chocula posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/08/saving-the-scream-queens/401141/

This makes me regret helping my friend get rid of a bunch of horror and explotation VHSes.
The proliferation of digital media has actually been surprisingly kind to the old straight-to-VHS market---nearly all of the titles mentioned in that article are available on DVD, and several are also available on blu ray or for streaming as well. There's a strange kind of thing that's happened where a lot of material that had been considered dumpster-tier back when it was new is available---probably due to some combination of the catalogue being cheap and there being better ways of selling into the fanbases today---while a lot of `legit'/`prestigious' material is unavailable due to rights issues.

Like in the '80s if anyone had told me that there would be good-as-theatrical home video releases of Street Trash (1987), Twins of Evil (1971), and loving Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) but the loving original cut of Star Wars (1977) would be something available only through bootlegs and crappy nth-generation copies I would've though you were crazy. But here we are.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
We also went through an era of there being things that people thought would never be released to DVD as they were so small and forgotten as films, having a VHS copy would be the only way to ever have an official release. I remember in the early 00s the value for things like the Garbage Pail Kids Movie seemed to always be over $50 on VHS before the DVD version finally came out.

I think something along those lines were part of an article I read a while back on the adult video collectors market. Some guy had a bunch of rare adult tapes that were sort of additionally valuable because so few known copies still existed and almost none of them would ever get a DVD release.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

The closest thing I can think of in the internet age that feels like it's lost to the ages is some of the 2000-era online video/audio that were only available via RealPlayer streaming or something else that would be sort of proprietary and never got archived for the future.

For example, around 2000 there was some program you could install that would download files to watch a serialized 3D computer animated video of the band KISS having some supernatural adventure. I wasn't super into it or anything, but I tried looking up the technology one time I think for this thread and couldn't find a reference to it.

Edit: Turns out I finally found some of it that was apparently saved and posted to Youtube. It was called Kiss Immortals. But I could have sworn there was more to its distribution than just a video file.

You sure it wasn't the KISS FPS?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I don't think so because when I watched it at some guy's house I don't think there was any real gameplay beyond the level of a point and click Flash game.

This is an article I found from http://kissasylum.com/news/kissimmortals.shtml that describes some of what I remember. I'm not sure how many 'webisodes' they made of this, but I only see a few listed on Youtube. It might be something that got a DVD release, perhaps?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/new_app_makes_hd_smartphone_video_look_just_like_crappy_1980s_camcorder_foo

There's a new app that makes smartphone footage looks like 80s camcorders. Ironically, in 10 years we'll be nostalgic for Instagram filters.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Count Chocula posted:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/new_app_makes_hd_smartphone_video_look_just_like_crappy_1980s_camcorder_foo

There's a new app that makes smartphone footage looks like 80s camcorders. Ironically, in 10 years we'll be nostalgic for Instagram filters.

Hey, apparently the Auspol thread misses you and wants you to start posting again.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SLOSifl posted:

Unlimited texts are easily available, yeah. I have unlimited everything including data and have for many years. I think some carriers still have minute-based plans though which is crazy.

It also still costs money in many places to call or send an SMS across borders while internet based messaging services are free, hence why services like Whatsapp are very popular in many regions. In the EU recent regulations have dramatically lowered the cost of cross border cellular communications, but it still isn't free.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Exit Strategy posted:

Hell, just do it and skip the ren faire. That sounds awesome to just have as a thing.

E:

SubG posted:

I think my favourite (in terms of aesthetics) computer-in-a-keyboard is the Elektronika BK, which is a Soviet-era PDP-11 clone. Just look at the fuckin' thing (photo from the wikipedia article):

This is straight-up what I imagined when I read Neuromancer. I have never seen it before, but this is it, straight-up.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Aug 24, 2015

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

The_Franz posted:

It also still costs money in many places to call or send an SMS across borders

And in some places, it's even illegal. :haw:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

DicktheCat posted:

Hell, just do it and skip the ren faire. That sounds awesome to just have as a thing.

E:

This is straight-up what I imagined when I read Neuromancer. I have never seen it before, but this is it, straight-up.

It was a good style for computers:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Exit Strategy posted:

I get the same way as you with old electronics, I love to think about how they could be repurposed. Still wish I'd been able to snag my grandma's big gently caress-off wooden console TV that weighed like 300 pounds, would've been cool to gut it out, replace the aging TV and other electronics while keeping the old-school look.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Ozz81 posted:

I get the same way as you with old electronics, I love to think about how they could be repurposed. Still wish I'd been able to snag my grandma's big gently caress-off wooden console TV that weighed like 300 pounds, would've been cool to gut it out, replace the aging TV and other electronics while keeping the old-school look.

Speaking of keeping the outside, the Sandbender computers from Idoru is another Gibson thing I always liked. Keep the internals the same physical spec so you swap around the case to whatever you want.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fooley posted:

Keep the internals the same physical spec so you swap around the case to whatever you want.

Yeah too bad we never had anything like that in the real world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah too bad we never had anything like that in the real world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

I think phones/tablets are closer to how he always described people having a computer with them all the time though. I know a few companies are trying to make modular phones, which would allow you to keep the same base unit if you liked it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fooley posted:

I think phones/tablets are closer to how he always described people having a computer with them all the time though. I know a few companies are trying to make modular phones, which would allow you to keep the same base unit if you liked it.

I think it was the mid 90s when I read an article on some IBM R&D brainstorms (and I just brought it up at work not too long ago). It was basically a sealed block with a single interface port. And depending on what that block plugged into, was the function it fulfilled. Plug it into a phone shell, now it's your phone. Plug it into a carrier under your monitor, now it's your full-featured computer. Got a clamshell with a keyboard and display? Now it's a laptop.

A lot of details like storage and secuity was hand waved away or was straight up magic at the time, but I always though this would be awesome.

I liked the idea so much it tricked me into buying an Atrix. :negative:

(I still want this happen)

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Window 95 is 20 this week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3sDipqrjd0

Gates demonstrating Windows 95 in his mobile computing....van...thing. Serial ports for all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRdl1BjTG7c
That Start Me Up video is fantastic for capturing a sort of hyper-realised version of early internet computing in the 90's along with other trends, such as the schizophrenic clip-art-astic florist ad in Word, the "coffee and muffins Web Cafe" along with accurately predicting a world of laptops on the go.

And yes kids, a Web Cafe was where you could go to experience the internet outside of a public library or your school and where it wasn't either horridly slow or filled with excessive blocking software. Just creeps hitting on people in chatrooms.

Start Me Up, also features another obsolete thing, The Microsoft Network.

It was Microsoft's answer to AOL, it started off as being little more than a list of chat rooms and directories. and wasn't really well received owing to the lack of content.

In 1996 came MSN 2.0 and with it the multimedia centric styling of the times with rich graphic menus and obnoxious promo videos powered by ActiveX and "FutureSplash" an early version of what was to become Flash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRJCeJhjLw
Featuring Anna Faris giving you unsettling implications on what Channel 5 is really meant for.

It expanded on chat rooms by adding access to Encarta, news services, shopping and so on with the intention of being a visually rich version of the internet vs the otherwise bland and static designs of the times.
It was highly debated at the time if this would end up being an internet killer, suggesting the high adoption rate of Windows 95 could lead people to focus purely on accessing through MSN instead of IE. So many people started designing content for both.

But the heavy video and graphics overhead along with buggy software ticked off lots of people and after noting lots of negative posts being deleted by Microsoft frustrated members created a popular hate-site possibly one of the first examples of user backlash by internet.
MSN 2.5 corrected that and returned to a more text based design and ditched many of the multimedia rich content that was giving users the runs.

MSN still survives today, most of the content gradually shifted out of the MSN service and many things like "Friends Online" or email morphed into Messenger Live and Outlook Express becoming accessible to non paying members.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

WebDog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3sDipqrjd0

Gates demonstrating Windows 95 in his mobile computing....van...thing. Serial ports for all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRdl1BjTG7c
That Start Me Up video is fantastic for capturing a sort of hyper-realised version of early internet computing in the 90's along with other trends, such as the schizophrenic clip-art-astic florist ad in Word, the "coffee and muffins Web Cafe" along with accurately predicting a world of laptops on the go.

And yes kids, a Web Cafe was where you could go to experience the internet outside of a public library or your school and where it wasn't either horridly slow or filled with excessive blocking software. Just creeps hitting on people in chatrooms.

Start Me Up, also features another obsolete thing, The Microsoft Network.

It was Microsoft's answer to AOL, it started off as being little more than a list of chat rooms and directories. and wasn't really well received owing to the lack of content.

In 1996 came MSN 2.0 and with it the multimedia centric styling of the times with rich graphic menus and obnoxious promo videos powered by ActiveX and "FutureSplash" an early version of what was to become Flash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRJCeJhjLw
Featuring Anna Faris giving you unsettling implications on what Channel 5 is really meant for.

It expanded on chat rooms by adding access to Encarta, news services, shopping and so on with the intention of being a visually rich version of the internet vs the otherwise bland and static designs of the times.
It was highly debated at the time if this would end up being an internet killer, suggesting the high adoption rate of Windows 95 could lead people to focus purely on accessing through MSN instead of IE. So many people started designing content for both.

But the heavy video and graphics overhead along with buggy software ticked off lots of people and after noting lots of negative posts being deleted by Microsoft frustrated members created a popular hate-site possibly one of the first examples of user backlash by internet.
MSN 2.5 corrected that and returned to a more text based design and ditched many of the multimedia rich content that was giving users the runs.

MSN still survives today, most of the content gradually shifted out of the MSN service and many things like "Friends Online" or email morphed into Messenger Live and Outlook Express becoming accessible to non paying members.

My parents still have a @msn.com email and will probably continue to use it until death.

(I used to have one too, and a @yahoo)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WebDog posted:

"FutureSplash" an early version of what was to become Flash.

Speaking of obsolete technologies.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

MSN Messenger was really popular in Australia. I used AOL Instant Messenger as a kid. Remember that program that let you set an away message for AIM? It was basically Facebook a decade earlier.

http://www.cameronsworld.net/ has all the Geocities images and autoplaying sounds you need.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

WebDog posted:

Oh god I'm old.

I remember when it came out, 13 year old me was apprehensive - I mean, it kind of looked... weird. I was used to 3.11 and liked it a lot, and to a degree was used to old MacOS from school. Win95 looked waaaay different, and I just wasn't that interested. Plus I was way too susceptible to the "it's new and therefore bad" attitudes of the nerds around me.

... until I tried a demo of it, and it blew me away and I HAD TO HAVE IT HOLY poo poo IT'S SO COOL~

I'm pretty sure I installed it off of 3.5" disks too.

e. and yep I'm old enough remembering when MSN was A Thing, and not just a website no one ever visits except when they've accidentally launched Internet Explorer. :v:

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Code Jockey posted:

e. and yep I'm old enough remembering when MSN was A Thing, and not just a website no one ever visits except when they've accidentally launched Internet Explorer. :v:

For me it extended to MSN Messenger - that little program was the precursor to FB for most of my friends, and I even recall being asked for my MSN ID instead of my phone number one night out at a club. It really took over for a while.

Edit: I remember being ridiculed to no end for getting my first mobile phone back in school, "Is that so you can call your mummy?" etc etc.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

WebDog posted:

I still use my msn email address that I got around 1997 or so - it's just my firstnamelastname@msn.com - no numbers or symbols or anything. I bought that "Free" eMachines celeron 500 PC at Best Buy IF YOU SIGN UP FOR TWO YEARS OF MSN! I still have the damned thing - it says in huge text on the front "NEVER OBSOLETE!"

I happily used MSN Explorer when it came out around the same time as XP. :suicide:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Count Chocula posted:

MSN Messenger was really popular in Australia. I used AOL Instant Messenger as a kid. Remember that program that let you set an away message for AIM? It was basically Facebook a decade earlier.

http://www.cameronsworld.net/ has all the Geocities images and autoplaying sounds you need.

My (Midwestern U.S.) friends all used a mix of ICQ, AOLIM, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo! Messenger. It was infuriating keeping track of all that poo poo even with the help of programs like Trillian.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My (Midwestern U.S.) friends all used a mix of ICQ, AOLIM, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo! Messenger. It was infuriating keeping track of all that poo poo even with the help of programs like Trillian.

I remember ICQ and how poo poo the official program was. Can you even log on to it anymore, after it was merged with AIM?

It's kinda creepy that I literally haven't logged in for over a decade, and my UIN is still etched in my muscle memory. 163421177.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Aug 25, 2015

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

KozmoNaut posted:

I remember ICQ and how poo poo the official program was. Can you even log on to it anymore, after it was merged with AIM?

It's kinda creepy that I literally haven't logged in for over a decade, and my UIN is still etched in my muscle memory. 163421177.

I have a Bulgarian friend who still, to this day, uses ICQ regularly. I saw the UI on his dekstop, and it hasn't changed that much since the early 2000s.

I used to know my nš by heart as well... it's incredible that they went with the numbers option instead of unique usernames.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Yeah it's still going and still works fine. I have no idea why I can recall my old UIN...
Looking through my old contacts lists is a blast from the past. For some reason I have Derek Smart along with Robert Cringely, Joe Siegler and someone who did the music for Tribes 2.

BogDew has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Aug 25, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

I have a Bulgarian friend who still, to this day, uses ICQ regularly. I saw the UI on his dekstop, and it hasn't changed that much since the early 2000s.

I used to know my nš by heart as well... it's incredible that they went with the numbers option instead of unique usernames.

I could remember my ICQ number when I was at university but not my flat's phone number (this was 1999-2001; I didn't get a mobile until the end of my second year). Still can, 48398994. The contact list is a litany of people I haven't heard of in twelve+ years and at least half of them are now Russian spambots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Mine says that Derek Smart is still online; pimping his 6 figure ICQ number