Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Haha, great photoshop, you nailed the text style and look perfectly.. the funny thing is, I'm not much of a TV person, so I don't get the Seinfeld reference at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

The Locator posted:

Haha, great photoshop, you nailed the text style and look perfectly.. the funny thing is, I'm not much of a TV person, so I don't get the Seinfeld reference at all.

I've been binge-watching old Seinfeld seasons lately, and I'd love to see a Seinfeld episode where they all build model kits.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Jonny Nox posted:

1/144 is not that bad. If we go that route might I suggest the Revell F-14 kits?

The Revell F14D 1/144 is a pretty neat kit overall, I finished one a few months ago.

Not nearly as much of a bitch with decals as the Revell 1/144 Eurofighter Typhoon(Over 100, and some were mislabelled/not mentioned in the instructions in the version I got), and there's barely any tiny parts other than the missiles and the missile rack.

As for boats I am currently working on Revell's 1/50 Viking Ship.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Is the pube in the foreground for scale?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

:allears:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Locator posted:

Model Expo ( https://www.modelexpo-online.com ) is having another 50% off anything sale, including the Corel wooden ship kits which they won't even get in stock until September, and of course as with the last one, the entire line of Vallejo paints.

No free shipping this time though.

Use offer code DL15, good through September 15th.

Edit: Not going anywhere near a 1/144th scale anything.

Hmm. This looks like it might be a good way to jump in for cheap: http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS1457

At 50% off, I'm not sure how I could lose. That's cheaper than the solid-hull ship I'm already not building.

E: Going to see what others have done with it on MSW to make sure it won't suck to build, since the database website thingy I posted earlier calls it "advanced."

E2: Oh it looks like they did a big group build of this model, there's a whole subforum dedicated to it, including a thread by the guy who designed the model in the first place.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 25, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I have this kit on the shelf to do, maybe next. Be aware, it's freaking tiny. It's a really cool looking little model, I've been keeping up on all the builds in the group build forum, but when I opened up the kit to have a peek, it still shocked me how small it is, the hull is barely 6" long based on the keel.

Chuck (the designer) is very active on MSW and always willing to help. He writes really good instructions, and has also designed some other MS kits (the Syren being one of the most popular) and is also the owner/operator of Syren Ship Model Company which is where I've gotten all of my rope, blocks, gun barrels, cleats, etc. It's pretty cool to have someone with his knowledge level active in the community, and he answers emails/PM's really fast too.

If you feel like getting fancy you can order a complete timbering kit for the longboat from Crown Timberyard and replace all the kit wood with boxwood or swiss pear.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Colonial Air Force posted:

Hmm. This looks like it might be a good way to jump in for cheap: http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS1457

The problem with a launch this tiny is the smaller the ship the thinner the planks and the thinner the planks the more they brake by just looking at them funny.

When I built my launch I ran into trouble with sanding the hull, because at 0,45 mm thickness it was incredibly easy to accidently sand right through the planks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah, looking at the build logs it looks complex.

It's cheap though at 50% off. I suppose so are all of them at this point.

E: Maybe the Rattlesnake. It's less than I was going to spend on the Sherbourne with the sale, lots of people have built it, and although it's "intermediate" I'm not new to model building in general. Wood, perhaps....

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 25, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The Rattlesnake is anything but simple. It's a fully rigged square rigger with 3 masts, and it's not a newer kit so it won't have the good instructions of one of Chuck's kits. I've seen a few build logs on it, and they don't seem easy at all. Take a look through the build logs for it before making a plunge like that.

Depending on what sort of boat you like, consider one of these - http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS1458

It's 1/24 scale, so in theory thicker planks etc. It's also a Chuck Passaro design.

Another interesting kit that I really want to do in the future, and you avoid rigging - http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS2261

At the end of the day, I think the most important part is that the ship/boat is something that you really like and are interested in, as that will help keep you motivated to keep working even after hitting frustration points. If you think that the Sherbourne is what you really want to do, then just bite the bullet and do that, rather than looking for a 'sale' ship to save money. If it takes you 6 months to build, then the $$ per hour of your time really isn't that big even with an expensive kit.

There is a Corel kit that's of the same style ship as the Sherbourne, that is a $250 kit, but will be $125 with the sale - http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=SM37

Realize that one reason that MS can do these 50% off sales, is that their pricing can be a bit high without the sales (and they fluctuate their prices a lot). The Corel kit above is $146.30 from Cornwell Model Boats - http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/corel_shenadoa.html and for another $23 you can get a pre-stitched sail set for it. The Model Expo kit listing says it comes with the sails, so if it does, it's still a fair discount from the $170 you could get the kit + sails from CMB for.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I don't really want to "avoid rigging" it's actually the part that most interests me. As far as what types of ships, I like the classic Age of Sail era, mid-to-late 18th century to early 19th.

The pinnace isn't bad, even if it has no rigging, I suppose.

E: Nah, you're right. I'm just going to wait and get the Sherbourne when I have time to work on these things.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 25, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I made a model boat!

:haw:

E: It's even made of very, very thin wood!

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 26, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:3:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Finished the Meng Leopard 2. Very nice model, lovely cellphone camera doesn't do it justice.

Kinda regretting putting on the fire simulator device, but what is done is done.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Any other kits for an Austin Mini Mk1 besides the Revell and Tamiya? Has anyone built either of those two? Not particular on scale.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
So, with the crappiness of crap tank I though 'why waste paint?' Also the discussion a bit back about instructions for painting tanks using grass in fuel got me thinking, so.. why not paint it with grass?

First step was trying some grass in pet spirits - but no dice. It's not strong enough to lyse the cells, so the grass will need to be ground up.

As a trial I used a couple of sanding sticks to mill the grass.

Looks promising, but after trying it on the tank it left bugger all colour and took ages to dry. When it was dry another coat just tore off the old one, so back to the drawing board.

So, plan B involved methylated spirits and a mortar and pestle.

Looking good, but lumpy. So using a handy old-sock filter:

I got about 10 ml of the 'paint'.

I put it through an airbrush without too many blockages, and about 15 to 20 coats later I decided 'gently caress it, that'll do'.

So there ya go, a genuine grass-coloured vaguely IS-3 shaped tonk.

I'll put a varnish on it and do some shading before it's 'done'.

e: jesus, I need an editor

Pidgin Englishman fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 26, 2015

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Sanguine posted:

So, with the crappiness of crap tank I though 'why waste paint?' Also the discussion a bit back about instructions for painting tanks using paint in fuel got me thinking, so.. why not paint it with grass?

First step why trying some grass in pet spirits - but no dice. It's not strong enough to lyse the cells, so the grass will need to be ground up.

Looks promising, but after trying it on the tank it left bugger all colour and took ages to dry. When it was dry another coat just tore off the old one, so back to the drawing board.

I put it through an airbrush without to many blockages, and about 15 to 20 coats later I decided 'gently caress it, that'll do'.

Thats awesome! I was wondering if anybody was actually going to give it a shot.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sanguine posted:

It's such a cheerful green. :buddy:

Warbadger posted:

Finished the Meng Leopard 2. Very nice model, lovely cellphone camera doesn't do it justice.

Kinda regretting putting on the fire simulator device, but what is done is done.

You dog is wonderful. :ohdear:

Tank is neat, too.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sanguine posted:

Eh, it'll shade itself with time. Leave it as is (with varnish).

Organic camouflage yay! :haw:

ed: No, seriously, I'm very interested in how it'll change and when.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 26, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sanguine posted:

So, with the crappiness of crap tank I though 'why waste paint?' Also the discussion a bit back about instructions for painting tanks using paint in fuel got me thinking, so.. why not paint it with grass?

First step why trying some grass in pet spirits - but no dice. It's not strong enough to lyse the cells, so the grass will need to be ground up.

I put it through an airbrush without to many blockages, and about 15 to 20 coats later I decided 'gently caress it, that'll do'.

:aaaaa: That is awesome! This totally has to become a regular thing now, CrapTank 2015 great success!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

:aaaaa: That is awesome! This totally has to become a regular thing now, CrapTank 2015 great success!

Next time, '80s card models :unsmigghh:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Pierzak posted:

Eh, it'll shade itself with time. Leave it as is (with varnish).

Organic camouflage yay! :haw:

ed: No, seriously, I'm very interested in how it'll change and when.

I'm pretty keen to see how the color will hold up, too. The varnish might cut down enough uv to make it last a while, but if I notice any changes I'll post a pic.

Crap tank: great idea. All for another one at some point!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Alright, here it is! Just when Han thought he was gonna get blasted, out comes Chewie! Images are linked to phat-rear end sized ones on Imagebucket (gonna get better hosting at some point).

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
That is loving gorgeous.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Is that water hard or more gelatinous-like?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pretty much rock hard. That was the Easy-Cast product I bought. The finish was pretty much why I switched from the no-mix water products to an actual casting resin. The no-mix products tend to shrink a decent amount, resulting in a concave center, which means pour after pour to get things level. That, and they never really get very hard, so any errant knocks could leave a small impression on the surface.

I placed a piece of clear tape along the inside edges of the frame in the water area, tall enough that it rose above the edge. I then seal the inside of the water area with some thick gloss gel to make sure there were no leaks into the frame area. Then I built a small dam rising above the lip of the frame with small wood strips, with a piece of clear tape covering it's inner sides. I butted those strips up against the tape already on the frames inside edges. Once it was all secure, I did a single pour of Easy Cast with a touch of brown paint added (a little goes a LONG way; it's a little darker and more opaque than I was hoping). After about 12 hours, it was hard enough that I could pull the wooden strips of the dam away, score the tape that was attached to the inner edged of the frame right where the water touched the frame, and then remove that excess tape.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Beautiful model! How did you do those ferns?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
poo poo man, that is spectacular. Well done.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I can't get over how many weathering things were done just right on that AT-ST. Inspiring. Good job Bloody Hedgehog.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Hedgehog that at-st is the bee's knees. And those bandai Star Wars kits are legit cool. I'm doing the y-wing right now (along with the craptank) and there's so much detail and greeblies that I'm amazed it can fit in a 1/72 kit. Can't wait for the big Star Destroyer to get released, and I really hope they get to do a good scale Falcon.

The instructions are in Japanese, but are easy to follow along, but if anyone is doing one of the bandai kits and wants the text translated there's a site with a few of the instructions up (and you can have a look at what goes into the kits)

http://www.mech9.com/p/miscellaneous-color-guides-manuals.html

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Alright, here it is! Just when Han thought he was gonna get blasted, out comes Chewie! Images are linked to phat-rear end sized ones on Imagebucket (gonna get better hosting at some point).

That's awesome.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That AT-ST is one of the most amazing models I've ever seen.

Reading MSW build logs is a great time waster, but I kind of wish they had the page number drop down like SA does so I could skip ahead. The planking stuff is neat, but I don't need 12 pages of updates with every single plank being a new update.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

:eyepop: That is loving gorgeous. Great job man!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Reading MSW build logs is a great time waster, but I kind of wish they had the page number drop down like SA does so I could skip ahead. The planking stuff is neat, but I don't need 12 pages of updates with every single plank being a new update.

Actually they do, it's just presented differently. Click on the page number listing, and it pops up a 'jump to page' dialog.

Of course, if you are an awesome person like me, you just put an index in your first post with links to all the different parts of the build. :smug:

Edit: Also, if you want to just completely waste the rest of your day, start going through this build log - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/178-le-fleuron-by-rekon54-1729-124/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

Actually they do, it's just presented differently. Click on the page number listing, and it pops up a 'jump to page' dialog.

Of course, if you are an awesome person like me, you just put an index in your first post with links to all the different parts of the build. :smug:

Thank you!

I'm reading this guy's 92-page build thread of the Connie and it just goes on forever about every plank he adds.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That build log I posted the link to is from a guy in Italy. He apparently doesn't do English very well, so he presents the entire log in photo's. Oh, and he is scratch building a 64 gun ship of the line out of pear wood in 1:24 scale :stare:

His details are mind blowing, and his joinery work is done just like they really built the ship, except smaller. It's.. amazing. Just getting the measurements right to get the joinery to work sort of blows my mind.

I'm reading this guy's 92-page build thread of the Connie and it just goes on forever about every plank he adds.

Hipexec? He's local to me, and I see him about once a month at a little get together we have. His Connie came out pretty nice, I've looked at it up close after he finished it. Given that it was his second model, and is quite an ambitious one, it came out quite well.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 26, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Iron Crowned posted:

Beautiful model! How did you do those ferns?

They're a japanese product called Kamizukuri. They're a laser-cut paper product, so you get a few paper sheets of plants with each leaf/frond/whatever attached at a few points, and some wire with a thin paper coating. I sponged on a base color for the plants, then sponged on highlights and some mottling, and brush-painted a few brown spots. Lastly I sponged on a coat of satin varnish, to give the leaves a slight sheen. The wire was painted with a thin green paint as well. I then detached the plants from the main sheet, used some tacky glue to affix them to cut lengths of the wire, and let them dry. Once everything was dry, you can bend the wire and the fronds themselves to get the sort of curve and drape you're looking for.

They were really easy to do, and they're quite cheap as well. I got a single sheet of ferns, and three sheets of various other plants, including shipping all for about $20 from Hobbylink Japan.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Your work on the base really does take your model from "That's a really nice walker model" to "Holy poo poo that's fantastic!". Your work on the base is really great. It's all really awesome, but for whatever reason the tree trunks really stick out to me, they are just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

scratch building a 64 gun ship of the line out of pear wood in 1:24 scale :stare:

:psyduck:

That MSW site will keep me from getting bored at work for years to come.

Does anyone have a recommendation concerning thinner for Tamija acrylics for airbrushing beside X-20?

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 26, 2015