Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

K. "I have made a terrible and selfish mistake. Please, for the sake of those around me who are righteous and noble, aid us in suppressing this Hungerer to prevent great suffering. I will pay whatever price it takes. Bind my soul, cripple my flesh, do whatever you must to prevent this calamity I have unleashed." + W

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
I still think the power in Zepath might have useful information for our current situation, since at least Ishamael apparently knows enough to have re-bound the demons under the city. No idea if this is even remotely a similar situation, but I think it's the option most likely to help us right now.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

There Bias Two posted:

K. "I have made a terrible and selfish mistake. Please, for the sake of those around me who are righteous and noble, aid us in suppressing this Hungerer to prevent great suffering. I will pay whatever price it takes. Bind my soul, cripple my flesh, do whatever you must to prevent this calamity I have unleashed."

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Tomn posted:

Hang on a tic, where was this mentioned? I think I saw that if we move around as a ghost form we'd need to stay close to Snarls to use stuff, but I don't remember if it was mentioned that it was necessary in the new body. Was I mistaken?

From Option N, bolded below:

Diogines posted:

N. Every moment that the demon continues to feed, it is growing TREMENDOUSLY in power. If you leave Snarl's body and remain nearby you will still be able to pull upon his Well indefinitely, not that you know it is here. If you leave for a time but return within a short time, you will still be able to draw upon it. It is unclear how long that is. A few hours? Yet drawing upon his Well, *A* Well without a body is not... efficient. You do not yet understand why, you only realize that it is. And there are other consequences as well. If your body is not human, or at least, not similar to how it was, you will lose those emotions you once lacked and your personality will change. You may not become a mindless hungering beast while you still have Water for your Well, but you will be... different. You cannot yet sense exactly how or why. The demon may be immortal, the same as you are, yet it will grow in strength so long as it feeds... drag it away from food, figure out what to do, afterwards.

Sure, we gauge we have a window of time we can pull from it while away from him - but, given this is our redemption tour and we need to pull out all the stops, I feel like we cannot risk suddenly running dry in the middle of a Neo/Agent Smith 3 hour battle for the fate of the matrix world.

FoxTerrier posted:

See, but my point is that 5 minutes is waaaay too long when we are courting disaster by the *moment.* Diog had been very clear that's the rate the demon is gaining power at moments, not minutes.

We do not have 5 minutes to waste on this, and doing so when we KNOW we have direct lines that WILL be heard and probably be instantaneous is :psyduck: to me tbh.

If we get no response maybe then we can try an altar, but why start with time consuming and risky rather than keep it as they B plan?

*shrug* Like I said, I feel if we're doomed in less than five minutes regardless, we don't stand a chance no matter what we do. Have to hope the benefits of actually sacrificing to El (which has always been what we did when we needed guidance from the big man) is worth it.

If we sacrifice and can somehow tell with our new powers the demon is seconds from opening the door, we can scramble and go with option O to pull him away in a moments notice anyways. I think the risk of sacrifice is worth it - our best sacrifices were when we gave unto El regardless of the dangers that were upon us - on our manhood trial giving up our first kill while starving comes to mind.

Also, Plan theglavwen has Snarls running off like the roadrunner anyways to find a sacrifice, so hopefully it doesn't take that long. I think just opening up with a plea for help without even a sacrifice risks being ignored.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 25, 2015

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

There Bias Two posted:

K. "I have made a terrible and selfish mistake. Please, for the sake of those around me who are righteous and noble, aid us in suppressing this Hungerer to prevent great suffering. I will pay whatever price it takes. Bind my soul, cripple my flesh, do whatever you must to prevent this calamity I have unleashed."

Agreed

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

K from Od

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

There Bias Two posted:

I'll support this for now, unless I think of something clever.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

There Bias Two posted:

Before we enact any plan, we NEED a strategy for containing the demon other than saying we're going to fight it, otherwise we'll waste precious time and resources. How are we going to contain it? Brainstorm.

You can't. It has no body so you can't drop it down a pit, it isn't mindless so it is one up on classic Enkidel. Maybe we could try reasoning with it.

Additionally we need to make our new body out of the Giant's armour.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Z, Get our shield and bow and then get our Balls to safety.

When they are safe I want to make us a new body and walk up the mountain before we ruin things again.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There Bias Two posted:

Changing my vote from Plan theglavwen to this.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Task Manager posted:

From Option N, bolded below:

Yes, but if I understand option N correctly, it's talking about how things work if we remained a disembodied ghost, not if we give ourselves a body. That's a bit more up in the air, I think? And apparently giving ourselves a body changes the ??? rules somehow, so it's not impossible that this affects the Snarlslink, too. But it's a good idea to get some clarification on that, so thanks for the reminder.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Tomn posted:

Yes, but if I understand option N correctly, it's talking about how things work if we remained a disembodied ghost, not if we give ourselves a body. That's a bit more up in the air, I think? And apparently giving ourselves a body changes the ??? rules somehow, so it's not impossible that this affects the Snarlslink, too. But it's a good idea to get some clarification on that, so thanks for the reminder.

It really could be either, looking at it from your perspective. Clarification will be good.

Also, I'll change again from Plan Theglavwen to K with no specific vote for any given speech . I am very wishy washy on this vote, but given time constraints it seems that 1) asking El for aid without a sacrifice takes seconds, and if we get silence we can always try a sacrifice, while 2) an altar and sacrifice may not be necessary.

If we pledge any price to stop this, it's essentially what Tudiya did when he just offered his service to El, minus the altar - and if whatever on Mt. Har is watching us, it has to understand the haste with which we need action here and should hopefully forgive the transgression of denying proper sacrifice etiquette.

I still think Theglavwen's plan is a good general outline for our near future actions, but let's try the direct line to just the big guy first.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 25, 2015

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
I.. still don't know what to pick. I think asking for help or teleporting away isn't doing enough, and help wont get here fast enough. And we can't handle it ourselves, and at any moment Genun might be released for the final Game Over.

Jb: After gaining our Wings at Amoks place, our group has a discussion on where to go next. In the end it is decided, after some grumbling and protest, to head back to Hydragorgobasilisk instead of continuing on further. When pressed for why this must be so, Enkidel replies that Amok warned him about the same Calamity we had received warning about before we left.

Releasing a hunger demon, cannibalism, being murdered by giants? Not worth it. This is a debt we cant repay, we made an enemy out of everyone and betrayed everything we hold dear. Reload from savepoint.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

I.. still don't know what to pick. I think asking for help or teleporting away isn't doing enough, and help wont get here fast enough. And we can't handle it ourselves, and at any moment Genun might be released for the final Game Over.

Jb: After gaining our Wings at Amoks place, our group has a discussion on where to go next. In the end it is decided, after some grumbling and protest, to head back to Hydragorgobasilisk instead of continuing on further. When pressed for why this must be so, Enkidel replies that Amok warned him about the same Calamity we had received warning about before we left.

Releasing a hunger demon, cannibalism, being murdered by giants? Not worth it. This is a debt we cant repay, we made an enemy out of everyone and betrayed everything we hold dear. Reload from savepoint.

I'm pretty sure that changing the past will have much greater consequences than this hunger demon will.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
How about this.

Can we make mana so pure that it would be able to fill the demon to the point it's sanity would return?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Can we contact or find uncle jorah in our dream? Any non-knock out way to meet him?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

I'm pretty sure that changing the past will have much greater consequences than this hunger demon will.

I for one would rather not come home to find that Zepa is Tudiya's son, thanks. Or that Labaras was eaten by a goat and Ur is a bunch of hunter-gatherers. Or that Demon Enkidel was sent to Mt. Har in the past and ate most of the Ophanim and now rules the world as its terrible god-king. Or that purple now tastes 12:36 PM with a tinge of afternoon. Or that time has ceased to have all meaning and events happen in a terrible simultaneous storm that drives man mad.

Let's avoid tearing spacetime a new rear end in a top hat, please.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Do we feel we can open a portal to the Uncle Jorah dimension we saw when we were knocked out?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Fine, fine, I won't tear spacetime apart. I still think it's our only shot at having any amount of normalcy back though.
Let's hope we have some friends in high places still, even if we certainly don't deserve it.

Rescinding my JB vote.
Voting: KW. "I have made a terrible and selfish mistake. Please, for the sake of those around me who are righteous and noble, aid us in suppressing this Hungerer to prevent great suffering. I will pay whatever price it takes. "
Adding on the W part because I want it to be a prayer to El. Only El has the power to set things right, to help us from our predicament.

After that let's do OJ. Wrassle the demon with our old body before Genun wakes up, with our boys back in relative safety.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 25, 2015

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world

+1

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Does the farther a time message travel back increase the amount of chaos?

Would we be able to send a message to ourselves say... 10 minutes ago? Before we killed the sleeping giant. Is that more or less disastrous than sending it a month ago?

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
K . The thing watching us in Zepath might be Zepa guys. I recall Ishmael saying that he did not die and did not go up the mountain.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

El only helps those that ask so lets ask. Also Mt. Har knows this went down already. Lets ask and see what goes down

Voliun
May 31, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

K. "I have made a terrible and selfish mistake. Please, for the sake of those around me who are righteous and noble, aid us in suppressing this Hungerer to prevent great suffering. I will pay whatever price it takes. Bind my soul, cripple my flesh, do whatever you must to prevent this calamity I have unleashed." + W

I vote for this.

K+W

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Last time someone tried to mess with time they blew up outside of Ibleam, trying to fight Norcs

All I'm saying is, doing time fuckery will make us end up like Ahaz

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Greggster posted:

Last time someone tried to mess with time they blew up outside of Ibleam, trying to fight Norcs

All I'm saying is, doing time fuckery will make us end up like Ahaz

I don't think he was doing it intentionally so much as his final assault happened to warp the fabric of spacetime a bit. Mighty Men can be REALLY scary when they go all out.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Just saying it now, messing with time seems like a really bad idea.

Enkidel... Your father is... Yourself!

nooooooooo

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 25, 2015

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Disargeria posted:

Does the farther a time message travel back increase the amount of chaos?

Would we be able to send a message to ourselves say... 10 minutes ago? Before we killed the sleeping giant. Is that more or less disastrous than sending it a month ago?
The less time has passed and the smaller the effort expended, the easier it will be.  The idea puts a pang of dread in yoir heart.  Disastrous consequences will occur in meddling with the past.

Outrail posted:

Do we feel we can open a portal to the Uncle Jorah dimension we saw when we were knocked out?
You do not have any new information relevant to this question.  So probably not?

Nyaa posted:

Can we contact or find uncle jorah in our dream? Any non-knock out way to meet him?
You do not have any new information relevant to this question.  So probably not?

Vagon posted:

How about this.

Can we make mana so pure that it would be able to fill the demon to the point it's sanity would return?
Nothing will change its fundamental nature.  It is hungry 

Tomn posted:

Actually, Diog, another question - how quickly do we think we could make our new body, if built from scratch?  What if we used our old body?
Moments.

Using your old body is more efficient.

Tomn posted:

Hmm.  Judging from Diog's remarks, we could outlast the thing pretty handily if we build a body and go in NOW to stop the demon - the question is what happens after.  Hmm.  Well, we'd at least weaken it badly.

Also does anyone else find it hilarious that, apparently, if the goons had voted to stay Hunger Demon, they'd have most likely ended up killing themselves within three votes when they go to eat the king?

Hang on a tic, where was this mentioned?  I think I saw that if we move around as a ghost form we'd need to stay close to Snarls to use stuff, but I don't remember if it was mentioned that it was necessary in the new body.  Was I mistaken?

Diog, if we make a new body somehow, will we need to stay close to Snarls to access his Well?  If not, is there a range limit before our connection starts to dissipate?

It has been made very, extremely, crystal clear that time travel will have extremely bad consequences.  Don't let's make a worse problem by trying to fix this one, like setting a house on fire to get rid of an ant infestation.
See the update.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 25, 2015

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

Diogines posted:

See the update.

So yeah...we aren't going to get confirmation on that.

We need to keep Snarls and a Ball close by, if our eventual plan is to take on demonenkidel for any extended amount of time. We need access to that extended well, if we still need to be close to access it once outside of Snarls.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I wonder if the reason Amok's demons were able to be sealed is because they were trapped inside an actual body rather than being a big ol' cloud of bloodmurderhunger.

Diog, do we have any knowledge that would let us put Demonkidel back inside a physical body?

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Diogines posted:

The strong would prevail.  And likewise grow hungry.

Woah, alright, we can't eat the Demon. drat, absorbing it would transfer its hungry nature?

quote:

It has less than Snarls.  Measuring itnis difficult.  If it eats more, it will have more than Snarls.

Can we tell how much more it needs to eat? At the rate it was growing, do we have any estimate for how long we have?

quote:

A few minutes.

Hm, so praying to El adds a few minutes. I have no idea if we have that or not, it's definitely a gamble. Admittedly, given our strength, it seems like we could outlast the Demon right now, but we still don't know what to do with it. I'm not going to change Plan Theglavwen at this point, since a number of people have voted for it and editing an option mid-vote seems weird, and while it's a gamble, the issue of a couple minutes might not be huge. When last we left, after all, the Demon was taking its time to talk to dudes, and gather them all together. It might easily be spending those few minutes in having the giants round up the villagers and trying to awe them.

Also frankly there's not that much food left where it is, it's already eaten all the major giants. Also, how effectively do we think we can tear it away? If it decides to eat now, given that it was basically sucking the souls out of dudes instantaneously at the point we left it, could we possibly act fast enough to stop it from eating what's left in front of it? It might just suck them all up instantly anyway the moment it feels us coming for it. I kind of doubt it can get powerful enough to defeat Genin on what it has left there, so the issue seems more about getting to it before it gets to Genin, less about before it gets too powerful, and I'll bet we have a couple minutes before it finishes its sermonizing and goes for the door.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Diogines posted:

The less time has passed and the smaller the effort expended, the easier it will be.  The idea puts a pang of dread in yoir heart.  Disastrous consequences will occur in meddling with the past.

Jb. When we're at the window, shielding ourselves from the shrapnel, send a single word: Leave!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Theglavwen posted:

Woah, alright, we can't eat the Demon. drat, absorbing it would transfer its hungry nature?

I don't think this is the right interpretation. The act of eating another being will drive us just as mad. We're like a recovering heroin addict...if we take even one bite we're going to be back to ripping people to shreds to get more and more of that delicious [???].

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

There Bias Two posted:

I don't think this is the right interpretation. The act of eating another being will drive us just as mad. We're like a recovering heroin addict...if we take even one bite we're going to be back to ripping people to shreds to get more and more of that delicious [???].

Snarls too though? The question answered was what would happen if Snarls ate the Demon. Maybe Snarls is vulnerable too, being another one of us, but I'm not sure I buy the heroin addict interpretation to begin with, so it seems like a big stretch.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Task Manager posted:

So yeah...we aren't going to get confirmation on that.

We need to keep Snarls and a Ball close by, if our eventual plan is to take on demonenkidel for any extended amount of time. We need access to that extended well, if we still need to be close to access it once outside of Snarls.

You can leave him for a time and still keep the connection. How long is unclear. Probably long enough to get some distance from here and return.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Question: In our current state consider being worshiped, ruling over a vast empire of man. All devoted to us. Having grand temples and statues built in our honor. What does our 'stomach' think about that?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Diogines posted:

See the update.

We did, and that's the problem. To clarify, we're asking if this, from option N...

quote:

If you leave Snarl's body and remain nearby you will still be able to pull upon his Well indefinitely, not that you know it is here. If you leave for a time but return within a short time, you will still be able to draw upon it. It is unclear how long that is. A few hours?

...applies to this, from option O.

quote:

You think that if you build a body, you will still be able to access Snarl's Well, at least for a few days? You think? The connection to Snarl's well will atrophy in time. At least while linked to Snarl's Well, you think this body will be up to the task of grappling the demon.

It's a little unclear whether it does or doesn't.

Though for that matter, something else to clarify:

How far away from Snarls can we get while still remaining indefinitely linked to Snarls' Well? Would going to fight the demon still be in range of the link, assuming Snarls didn't move?

Just to be clear, the reading is that we'll be able to leave Snarls' presence for maybe a few hours and stay linked to his Well, but we'd need to go back to him periodically to refresh, right?

Can we sense what would happen if the connection stopped? Just leave us with whatever's in our personal Well?

Is there any way to shunt ??? from Snarls' Well into our own, as a backup battery if we run out mid-fight?

Fakeedit: Oh, seems to have clarified since then, but I'll leave this here anyways.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
We need to get our shield back before other us eats it.
Can we blink in as Snarls, grab the shield and blink out without being caught by Og?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Diog, is it possible for us to have a baby with Demonkidel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is it possible for us to run out of inane questions?