Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of... has the show said whether or not Haruhi is at all aware of her powers?

And can you fuckers stop posting spoiler tags that tempt me to mouse over them? I flicked over one for like half second and got spoiled on what I assume is either a big reveal or implication later on the series. :argh:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Speaking of... has the show said whether or not Haruhi is at all aware of her powers?

Not explicitly, but if she is, she sure as hell doesn't act like it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Not explicitly, but if she is, she sure as hell doesn't act like it.

It would make a certain amount of sense either way - she hasn't referred to them at all, obviously, but the way she blurred the screen/potentially rewrote reality and then promptly lost all interest in investigating the case could be read as her knowing how that train of thought ended and wanting to get Kyon off of it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dave's Haruhi's not here man

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

And can you fuckers stop posting spoiler tags that tempt me to mouse over them? I flicked over one for like half second and got spoiled on what I assume is either a big reveal or implication later on the series. :argh:

Sorry. :( It's hard to discuss a rewatch without drawing on knowledge from previous watches. I'll try to ward potential unintentional future mouseovers with... I don't know, :drac:scary vampires?:drac:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My apologies as well. Its very hard to discuss Haruhi having already seen it since it is very dependent on later developments. Thats the fun of it though and in one, you'll have all your questions answered and more!!

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Parallax posted:

Haruhi in the belly shirt is powerful

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Command Ant posted:

cubeupload is a good alternative.

I tried this but they dont take gifs over 5mb :/

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg_WVwJD1W4

This one's okay to watch for newcomers to the show

Linnaeus fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 25, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Is that from Candy Pop? It reminded me it exists anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1PFmLKBSWw

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I like the ending of this episode, it shows that as much as Kyon grumbles about Haruhi, he trusts in her enough to know she wouldn't want someone dead, even when the possibility is very strong that she could have been the trigger for the events.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

a kitten posted:

This AMV changed the way people made AMVs and the expectations of what makes a good AMV.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

And it's still catchy as gently caress to this day. And I keep seeing something new each time I watch it to this day.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

a kitten posted:

It's from this

DO not watch if you havent seen the whole show

:siren: jesus christ :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiHY5613EW8

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Was that put together by the same person/people? Its style is definitely similar and is also pretty drat good.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 25, 2015

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Its not on koopiskeva's youtube page so I don't think so

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I have finally caught up. Can't say much, but there is definitely a lot of interesting stuff going on. Especially what happened in the cave.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
The first time I watched the second Island episode, I assumed that the odd moment in the cave was just an artistic way of showing Haruhi coming to the "door finisher" conclusion and promptly losing interest in solving the murder because it would implicate Kyon and Koizumi and Butlerman (as Koizumi later explains). I'm still fairly convinced this is the case, and that Haruhi did not have to change anything for this entire Island scenario to happen the way that it did.

On this rewatch, I realized that I totally forgot about the later scene where Kyon appears to be losing his poo poo and attacking Koizumi, but this can be expained as well. Kyon has figured out that it's all a farce and mock-attacks Koizumi, but immediately after the camera cuts away it's just Kyon telling Koizumi that he knows the actual truth and maybe shaking him around a bit for pranking him (like a friend would). The cut to Kyon's sister running makes it feel like all of this is happening very fast, but of course in reality the whole crew had to meet up and plan out the little sister distraction and the big reveal.

My conclusion is that Koizumi and his associates really did plan this all from the beginning, and that if Haruhi changed anything it was minor, like making that path crumble under her feet so that she could spend some quality time with Kyon. I still don't know what was up with the shadow that Haruhi saw.

a kitten posted:

Candy Pop AMV

Holy hell, that's well-made and catchy too.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Candy Pop AMV owns.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Ok, what the gently caress was up with that mole?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never got that either. :(

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I never got that either. :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

that's what she changed! :aaa:

no, actually I've always been confused too.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Mentat Radnor posted:

The first time I watched the second Island episode, I assumed that the odd moment in the cave was just an artistic way of showing Haruhi coming to the "door finisher" conclusion and promptly losing interest in solving the murder because it would implicate Kyon and Koizumi and Butlerman (as Koizumi later explains). I'm still fairly convinced this is the case, and that Haruhi did not have to change anything for this entire Island scenario to happen the way that it did.

Haruhi added the storm. There's no way they would have risked a sea trip like that with a major meteorological event on the horizon. Other than that, I tend to agree. Of course, if she added the storm, she could have added the entirety of the murder hoax since it wouldn't have made sense without the storm to set it off. Of course, Koizumi could have assumed that a mysterious storm would take place, since that's what Haruhi would expect, and act accordingly, and it would have been entirely in-character for him to do so.

Other than that, I tend to agree. This was a moment to force the audience/reader/whatever to soften his/her opinion of Haruhi, after 7 episodes (half of the cour!) in which she has shown herself to be a very unpleasant individual indeed.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 25, 2015

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Grim Up North posted:

Ok, what the gently caress was up with that mole?

Somebody said it has something to do with Japanese superstition but I don't remember what it meant.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I recall the old consensus being that Koizumi just didn't give a gently caress about what Kyon was babbling about and stared at his mole instead.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

Haruhi added the storm.

Oh! Crap, I forgot the obvious one. Yeah I certainly concede that the storm was 100% Haruhi's doing. And I agree with the theory that Koizumi probably predicted her doing just that, leading to the espers setting up this plot, all to keep Haruhi from getting bored.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I had to go ahead in my viewing since I won't be around for the last few episodes and I wanted to finish S1 this week. Someday in the Rain is such a great episode

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
We will make sure to post lots about it in your absence.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That little moment when Yuki doesn't open the door except when Kyon tells her to always stood out to me. There's a lot to be said about Yuki's development across the series too probably, as well as her relationship with Kyon.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nobody made a gif of Haruhi talking with the pen on her lip...I'm sad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gloomy...

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I'm in despair...

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Here's a haruhi pen scene for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUZ47la9U6w

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think this a thing real people can actually do. I certainly can't.

I mean, I know it's Haruhi and all. Just sayin'.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When I see that all I can hear in my head is Pingu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't think this a thing real people can actually do. I certainly can't.

I mean, I know it's Haruhi and all. Just sayin'.

I can hold a pen there, but Haruhi can talk while she does it, which is a clear indicator of supernatural power.

If I do it, I just end up looking like Yui.

• Locked thread