Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, Cragholdt is the main new high level area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Going to ask this in here immediately, because screw the gods: any way of uncursing the wolf druid that doesn't involve wantonly slaughtering him?

Edit: vvvv It absolutely does and you deserve all the money for it. I'd give you more but I just turned into a student again and can't afford much.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

bunnielab posted:

rope kid your game is very good and pretty much is a perfect homage to the IE games. I hope you guys make some money on this and can keep on keepin on. I am a fickle dude when it comes to RPGs but I cannot stop playing PoE.
Thanks. I hope TWM lives up to your expectations.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
I have the expansion and I backed $20 during the start of the kickstarter. Pretty sure I never paid more than that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Let's tell the obsidian forums that this is a secret goon-exclusive reward for backing

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

rope kid posted:

Not for at least several months. We've just recently started on it. Sorry.

Do you already have ideas/basics for what's after that (TWM pt. 2)? The second expansion, PoE 2, whatever is next. Can you share what the metrics are to determine whether or not Obsidian will keep going with the Pillars of Eternity world?

I'm asking because Harebrained Schemes seem to have found a good balance to keep releasing more SR (and now Battletech) games and I really hope Obsidian has/will as well.

lonter posted:

I have the expansion and I backed $20 during the start of the kickstarter. Pretty sure I never paid more than that.

What does your "Order" page say on the backers' portal?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Let's tell the obsidian forums that this is a secret goon-exclusive reward for backing

Man, RPG Codex would go nuts.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Oh boy, my laptop's been having some temperature issues recently but I bet it can handle PoE fine so I'm looking forward to trying out the expansion! I ended up stopping in Twin Elms in the main game mostly because of the various network issues that I believe were supposed to be fixed in 2.0 or maybe the patch before, but I figured at that point it was so close to expansion I'd just wait for them to continue. Now to decide whether I keep running with my current party or re-start...

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

rope kid posted:

SR: Dragonfall and SR: HK are both great expansions, btw.
SR: HK's flashback scene(s) / backstory conversations reminded me a lot of what PoE starts doing with the Watcher visions once you hit the Temple of Woedica. I really love that sort of low-key character building / C&C and I want to see more of it.

I want to say KOTOR2 was the first time I saw that in action and the Atris conversation still blows my mind. So daring.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

I wish I had more hands to play all these cRPGs.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Furism posted:

What does your "Order" page say on the backers' portal?

Mine says :

1 Digital Pack: Soundtrack, Collector Book, Behind the Scenes 35.00 35.00
1 Digital Download of Expansion Pack 20.00 20.00
1 Digital Download of World Almanac 15.00 15.00

In payment info it says i paid $35

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

rope kid posted:

It is possible. For the next patch, I've lowered some of the more eye-watering requirements and BMac has made a code fix that allows a fall-through for class or race-specific damage/kill requirements at 5x the base value. E.g. if you've massacred every wizard in the game and have a weapon that requires 5 wizard kills, you can fulfill the requirement by killing 25 of anything with the weapon.

Thanks for the quick responses, rope kid. The next patch sounds great, any idea when we can expect it?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Evil Sagan posted:

Thanks for the quick responses, rope kid. The next patch sounds great, any idea when we can expect it?
Next week, most likely.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That is an extremely reasonable amount of time, but I still find myself torn between waiting patiently (HA!) and just starting a new game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rope kid posted:

The gameplay - not even necessarily the combat - is REALLY simple (in a boring way), to the point where they'd make incredible VNs like Dragon Pass or something rather than what we've got now.

The strength of those games is the usually fun and nicely-crafted (and variably pathed) writing, and the environmental art.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 25, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

Do you already have ideas/basics for what's after that (TWM pt. 2)? The second expansion, PoE 2, whatever is next. Can you share what the metrics are to determine whether or not Obsidian will keep going with the Pillars of Eternity world?
We'd like to keep making games in the PoE world. I don't know what metrics the owners would require for us to move forward with that, though. A lot of us have talked about ideas for PoE2 but we haven't done any work beyond that.

On an unrelated note, I've had conversations with Feargus about doing a small scope turn-based historical low fantasy game and they haven't ended with me being kicked out of his office/the building.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

rope kid posted:

We'd like to keep making games in the PoE world. I don't know what metrics the owners would require for us to move forward with that, though. A lot of us have talked about ideas for PoE2 but we haven't done any work beyond that.

On an unrelated note, I've had conversations with Feargus about doing a small scope turn-based historical low fantasy game and they haven't ended with me being kicked out of his office/the building.

The owners? Uh what

Sorry am I being dense or doesn't Obsidian own the rights to PoE now?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The owners of Obsidian.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

rope kid posted:

Well, there's still time!

That sounds like it would be a cool game to play though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

rope kid posted:

Would it help to harass Feargus? Do we have to drive to California and picket the building?

Tell him to let you put it on kickstarter Fig as a way of judging interest. :v:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Wizard Styles posted:

The first level power that lets you confuse an enemy is great to start fights, Mental Binding and Amplified Wave are incredibly good unless the patch changed them. Ectopsychic Echo is also good and fun to use. The Cipher's buffs are all at least OK and may be more fun to you than throwing around disables all the time.

Also, build for melee. The character will do more damage and get to use more powers.

Not sure about stats since I haven't played with the new Perception stat, but Dexterity is always good.

Cool. The melee is good to know because I want to be slinging powers fast and furious! Thanks!

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Insurrectionist posted:

Oh boy, my laptop's been having some temperature issues recently but I bet it can handle PoE fine so I'm looking forward to trying out the expansion! I ended up stopping in Twin Elms in the main game mostly because of the various network issues that I believe were supposed to be fixed in 2.0 or maybe the patch before, but I figured at that point it was so close to expansion I'd just wait for them to continue. Now to decide whether I keep running with my current party or re-start...

Yeah there were some VPN issues that were fixed back in 1.05 or 1.06 I think.

For me when I'm that long away from a game I'd restart, the story's important and if I don't remember what was even happening it detracts from my enjoyment.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Oh boy, my laptop's been having some temperature issues recently but I bet it can handle PoE fine so I'm looking forward to trying out the expansion!
Be careful though. Some guy on Tumblr says that the only games that managed to make his computer crash and burn were, for some reason, recent isometric RPGs. And I once had a modem which would refuse to work before 5PM. Those machines are weird and you better be wary!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

rope kid posted:

The owners of Obsidian.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Well here's hoping you can get something okay'd, I'd be thrilled with PoE2 but it'd be cool to see you guys take a spin at turn based too

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

X_Toad posted:

Be careful though. Some guy on Tumblr says that the only games that managed to make his computer crash and burn were, for some reason, recent isometric RPGs. And I once had a modem which would refuse to work before 5PM. Those machines are weird and you better be wary!

Don't worry I perform the sacred rites before starting any game, slaughter of a pig and all.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Would it help to harass Feargus? Do we have to drive to California and picket the building?

Tell him to let you put it on kickstarter Fig as a way of judging interest. :v:

Just keep buying the expansion until there aren't any keys left. It would be what I would do.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

rope kid posted:

The owners of Obsidian.

That's EA now right?

EDIT: gently caress, didn't mean to tell everyone, please disregard people!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
ropekid please own obsidian asap tia

Real question: anyone who has got the game can check if slicken spam is still a thing? I haven't picked up the expansion yet

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

wow an expansion already????? money grubbing fuckers at obsidian releasing UNFINISHED games!!!!!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rascyc posted:

ropekid please own obsidian asap tia

Real question: anyone who has got the game can check if slicken spam is still a thing? I haven't picked up the expansion yet

Slicken is still good, it's no longer the godmode win button it was back in 1.0 but it's still a solid level 1 AoE disable

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So no changes to it/wizards since 1.06/2.0 beta? Okay I'm probably just gonna leave the Wizard in the shed then cause I want to experience a game where you don't spam crowd control on PotD 24/7 (I'm probably going to get crushed).

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Haha, oh wow. The caster cross-class talents suck so loving hard. Gee, I could get 15% damage to enemies that have debuffs, bonus unarmed damage and accuracy, or I can get 2 Magic Missiles per rest. Seems perfectly balanced.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
To be honest, the only cross-class talent I can see myself taking is the baby sneak attack one. They all seem overbalanced, but I don't think I'll ever play without a Rogue again, so might as well get another party member to benefit from those status effects.

Rascyc posted:

So no changes to it/wizards since 1.06/2.0 beta? Okay I'm probably just gonna leave the Wizard in the shed then cause I want to experience a game where you don't spam crowd control on PotD 24/7 (I'm probably going to get crushed).
I just made a Wizard Watcher and plan to use Aloth throughout. :v:

If it gets too boring the class has a lot of depth, it's not like I need to CC all day, it's just the best option.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Jesus, Sawyer, just let people have some god drat fun and take a few levels of spells on their barbarian or some poo poo.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of all the new talents/spells/abilities?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Jesus, Sawyer, just let people have some god drat fun and take a few levels of spells on their barbarian or some poo poo.

If you want fun, you're talking to the wrong man ... (I do agree the caster skills seem pretty limp, especially when stuff like baby's first sneak attack is actually super useful on right click characters)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SunAndSpring posted:

Haha, oh wow. The caster cross-class talents suck so loving hard. Gee, I could get 15% damage to enemies that have debuffs, bonus unarmed damage and accuracy, or I can get 2 Magic Missiles per rest. Seems perfectly balanced.
Ahahaha, is it explicitly two magic missiles or two first level spells? Geez that's awful!

Wizard Styles posted:

To be honest, the only cross-class talent I can see myself taking is the baby sneak attack one. They all seem overbalanced, but I don't think I'll ever play without a Rogue again, so might as well get another party member to benefit from those status effects.

I just made a Wizard Watcher and plan to use Aloth throughout. :v:

If it gets too boring the class has a lot of depth, it's not like I need to CC all day, it's just the best option.
maybe we can do a house rule where wizards are not allowed to be controlled by the player

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Oasx posted:

Mine says :

1 Digital Pack: Soundtrack, Collector Book, Behind the Scenes 35.00 35.00
1 Digital Download of Expansion Pack 20.00 20.00
1 Digital Download of World Almanac 15.00 15.00

In payment info it says i paid $35

That's because you paid 35 for the base game on Kickstarter probably. And then 35 through the Backer Portal. My Kickstarter pledge doesn't show up either.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Letting people have levels of spells is much more complicated than offering individual spells or abilities. I did not receive a lot of feedback on the cross-class Talents from the team or QA, but it's not difficult to tune existing abilities/talents up.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Had a second look and I guess Enigma's Charm (on a high-accuracy character or maybe a Druid) and maybe Gallant's Focus (+4 accuracy aura isn't much but it beats taking some Weapon Focus later on when you've got everything you need for a build) look okay as well, but yeah, not really blown away by the cross-class talents.

Edit: Baby Frenzy being per rest makes me sad.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So is the expansion worth it or what

• Locked thread