Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Benne posted:

I'm actually a bit surprised WWE never tried to jump on the "replay challenge" thing real sports do, if only because refs huddling around the monitor NBA-style trying to see who tapped first is an amusing mental image to me.

It would be absolutely terrible in execution, though.

They did this a few years ago as well. It sucked even more than you'd think it would. They were absolutely making fun of I think the NFL, I can't remember why though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

I'm actually a bit surprised WWE never tried to jump on the "replay challenge" thing real sports do, if only because refs huddling around the monitor NBA-style trying to see who tapped first is an amusing mental image to me.

It would be absolutely terrible in execution, though.

because if there's anything we need on Raw it's more dead time

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The heel lockerroom obviously banded together to squash that idea.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
they did that in an Alberto Del Rio vs. Jack Swagger I Quit match and it was absolutely unbearable

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Seeing how much storytelling in wrestling relies on the referees looking at B when they should be looking at A, this replay thing sounds like the dumbest idea.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The reason they don't do that is because instant replays on screwy endings would stop them from extending feuds for rematches to another PPV. Got screwed at a major show? Come out the next night and set up the rematch!

Or, you know, just set up the rematch anyway. Even if you won. Or whatever. You'll be facing each other every week on the Smackdown midcard for the next 6 months anyway.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Instant replay is dumb across the board. Just gives people more reason to be mad at refs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
People suggesting instant replay to solve disputed finishes is like, when I begin to wonder if people are forgetting that wrestling is fake

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Alain Post posted:

People suggesting instant replay to solve disputed finishes is like, when I begin to wonder if people are forgetting that wrestling is fake

its important to remember that wrestling is probably the least rigged sport in the world.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Alain Post posted:

IT'S NOT FAKE IT'S SCRIPTED!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
http://shoptna.com/mr-anderson-people-are-fake-t-shirt.aspx

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

coconono posted:

its important to remember that wrestling is probably the least rigged sport in the world.

Well, doped up Spaniards aren't involved so this may be true.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alain Post posted:

I think it's less about it being worked and more about people being so jaded and desperate for satisfying finishes that they'll suggest anything that might help.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that shirt is dumb as hell and I love it

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sticklefifer posted:

I think it's less about it being worked and more about people being so jaded and desperate for satisfying finishes that they'll suggest anything that might help.

Not to mention that when they show the replay of Taker tapping like 7 different times and talk about it for 10 minutes, it's hard to suspend your disbelief that the ref would just be like nope never happened.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

all referee decisions are final!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Memento posted:

They were absolutely making fun of I think the NFL, I can't remember why though.

Because Vince still isn't over the XFL.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The_Rob posted:

Not to mention that when they show the replay of Taker tapping like 7 different times and talk about it for 10 minutes, it's hard to suspend your disbelief that the ref would just be like nope never happened.

MMA refs have to do this in states that don't allow instant replay.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hell,

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I like that both for the crazy opinion about Ambrose, and the fact that 'indy' fans are basically the only reason the WWE is still solvent

The entire product can basically be geared towards 'hardcore' fans now that the Network is the only money generator they have

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The "indy" fans are so important that they gained subscribers after #CancelWWENetwork.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Most indie wrestling fans have never seen a Jon Moxley match

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Someone can contradict me, because I'm just making GBS threads this out from the top of my head, but I'd guess that most of WWE's fanbase has not watched any wrestling promotion outside of WWE, at least since the death of WCW.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Alain Post posted:

Someone can contradict me, because I'm just making GBS threads this out from the top of my head, but I'd guess that most of WWE's fanbase has not watched any wrestling promotion outside of WWE, at least since the death of WCW.

If you discount TNA this is probably true, but at its peak TNA was getting 1.4-1.5 million viewers a week (peaking at over 2 million for Hogan's debut quarter-hour). I think most of WWE's fanbase has seen at least some TNA and then went 'oh wow what a minor league act thank god for Raw'.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
"Dean Ambrose is only popular because he appeals to over half the population"

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I think TNA never looked more minor league than in early 2010 when the Outsiders, the Nasty Boys, and Val Venis were on TV winning matches, actually.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I always find it kinda interesting that whenever Wrestlemania or Summerslam happens, the majority of the crowd is filled with smarky fucks. Like, you'd assume with the big shows that the marks & casual fans would be throwing money at the WWE for seats, but it never happens. If the WWE fills Cowboys Stadium, it will be because of internet Indy fans.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

oatgan posted:

Most indie wrestling fans have never seen a Jon Moxley match

Can they really be considered fans if they haven't seen such Moxley Criterion Collection Classics like "v. Nick loving Gage" and "v. Drake Younger v. Nick loving Gage"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

females

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DynamiteKidd posted:

I think TNA never looked more minor league than in early 2010 when the Outsiders, the Nasty Boys, and Val Venis were on TV winning matches, actually.

I nominate early 2011 where Sting very clearly called the main event of a pay per view bullshit after winning said main event by pinning down someone who was clearly unfit to walk. This being only a month after they botched resigning some of their top stars so badly they appeared in the Royal Rumble instead.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Alain Post posted:

The "indy" fans are so important that they gained subscribers after #CancelWWENetwork.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yeah gently caress 51% percent of the world's population and then another 10% of wrestling's fan base too!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Thats a perfectly reasonable question.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

TinTower posted:

This being only a month after they botched resigning some of their top stars so badly they appeared in the Royal Rumble instead.

So TNA had this big bad stable called Immortal who ran the show and chased away all the babyfaces. TNA had planned for the Main Event Mafia to come back and fight them. Two members of the MEM, Kevin Nash and Booker T's contracts were up and TNA planned this angle without signing them first so they showed up at the Royal Rumble in the middle of this and signed new deals with WWE. Eric Bischoff cut a promo right after the Royal Rumble where he said there is no "THEY" and "THEY" aren't coming and you all saw why. He said "I called up Nash gave him my blessing to leave. Go make your money, get yourself an action figure" because of course he can make more money not working for TNA

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Kevin Nash is on Bruce Mitchell's mystery list and probably hosed Dixie.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

So TNA had this big bad stable called Immortal who ran the show and chased away all the babyfaces. TNA had planned for the Main Event Mafia to come back and fight them. Two members of the MEM, Kevin Nash and Booker T's contracts were up and TNA planned this angle without signing them first so they showed up at the Royal Rumble in the middle of this and signed new deals with WWE. Eric Bischoff cut a promo right after the Royal Rumble where he said there is no "THEY" and "THEY" aren't coming and you all saw why. He said "I called up Nash gave him my blessing to leave. Go make your money, get yourself an action figure" because of course he can make more money not working for TNA

Nash was actually signed and blackmailed Dixie into letting him leave.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

I want to buy some of those Brown Bag things because I'm a sucker for terrible mystery boxes

Maybe I can get Victory Road 09 and a 4XL Bram shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MassRafTer posted:

Nash was actually signed and blackmailed Dixie into letting him leave.

Given the things she does publicly of her own volition, what could be bad enough to make her succumb to blackmail?