Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eight Crazy Nights is so bad they were able to make an episode 10-15 minutes longer than the film itself without any major derails or riffing sessions. Think about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I would definitely be down for the film they talked about, something that's like the Jewish version of a Christmas movie, because I come from a country where (practicing) Jews make up less than half a percent of the entire population so Hanukkah is entirely foreign to me. This is apparently very much not that movie.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Oh man I had totally blanked on 8 Crazy Nights being a Sandler debacle. Should be a fun (and apparently vile?) thing to listen to when I stroll home.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gotta admit, it was really hard getting through the episode because my disdain for Sandler just grew and grew with everything they said.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

GrandpaPants posted:

Gotta admit, it was really hard getting through the episode because my disdain for Sandler just grew and grew with everything they said.

So did theirs.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TetsuoTW posted:

I would definitely be down for the film they talked about, something that's like the Jewish version of a Christmas movie, because I come from a country where (practicing) Jews make up less than half a percent of the entire population so Hanukkah is entirely foreign to me. This is apparently very much not that movie.

The loving Rugrats Very Special Episode About Hannukah taught me more about Hannukah than this.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Evil Mastermind posted:

The stuff they talk about just after that (the porta-potty bit) made me sick to my stomach. It's incredibly disgusting.
Quick reference shot for anyone who hasn't seen it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The loving Rugrats Very Special Episode About Hannukah taught me more about Hannukah than this.

That was a pretty good episode.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

TetsuoTW posted:

Hanukkah movies just kind of aren't a thing, because there kind of isn't that kind of tradition attached to it. The only other thing I can thing besides the Rugrats Hanukkah special is maybe that Don Bluth movie where the mice are Jews and they come to the US in the late 19th century? I think that has Hannukah in it.

There just isn't much there in the Hanukkah story or traditions to make a comedy out of in my opinion, but there kind of isn't anything to fuel a Christmas comedy either really, so who knows.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A Meat posted:

Hanukkah movies just kind of aren't a thing, because there kind of isn't that kind of tradition attached to it. The only other thing I can thing besides the Rugrats Hanukkah special is maybe that Don Bluth movie where the mice are Jews and they come to the US in the late 19th century? I think that has Hannukah in it.

There just isn't much there in the Hanukkah story or traditions to make a comedy out of in my opinion, but there kind of isn't anything to fuel a Christmas comedy either really, so who knows.

Yet there are classic Christmas Comedies.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I feel like there are more than enough good Jewish comedians to sustain a Hannukah comedy movie.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is my first time listening to the Eight Crazy Nights episode.

Man, I don't think I've ever hear the guys this angry at a movie before.

I think they're only madder in the Boondock Saints II, Easy Rider: The Ride Back and Blame in it on Rio episodes.

The Easy Rider one is special because Eric is so pissed he sometimes can barely form sentences correctly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Unnamed One posted:

I think they're only madder in the Boondock Saints II, Easy Rider: The Ride Back and Blame in it on Rio episodes.

The Easy Rider one is special because Eric is so pissed he sometimes can barely form sentences correctly.

That was a special listener request month - Boondock Saints 2 and then Foodfight.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

bobkatt013 posted:

That was a special listener request month - Boondock Saints 2 and then Foodfight.

Boondock Saints 2 with the '9/11! rebuild the towers but not in a gay way' spiel had me biting and clawing at inanimate objects and kicking holes in drywall.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

One secret about Hannukah is that (many) Jewish people don't actually give much of a poo poo about it as a holiday. It only has the prestige it does because it's near Christmas. They are in no way equivalent besides rough timeframe.

This is anecdotal, of course. I'm Jewish by birth and the only ones Mom ever really had us celebrate were Pesach, Rosh Hashanah, and Yom Kippur.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 25, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

NmareBfly posted:

One secret about Hannukah is that (many) Jewish people don't actually give much of a poo poo about it as a holiday. It only has the prestige it does because it's near Christmas. They are in no way equivalent besides rough timeframe.

This is anecdotal, of course. I'm Jewish by birth and the only ones Mom ever really had us celebrate were Pesach, Rosh Hashanah, and Yom Kippur.

Which comedian had a joke about celebrating Hannukah where after the third or fourth candle on the menorah the family decided, "Eh, enough is enough." ?

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

NmareBfly posted:

Its importance nowadays might owe something to the American obsession with Christmas.

With Passover, Rosh Hashanah and Sukkot you have to do a bunch of elaborate stuff. with Hannukah you just light a few more candles and sing a few songs and that's it. Maybe ponder fundamentalist revolution or whatever the gently caress the moral behind the story of the Maccabee uprising actually is.

All I know is that as a non-practicing Jew living in Israel, I would be on the side of the Hellenized Jews, and as a result, on the receiving end of the Hebrew Hammer.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A Meat posted:

Its importance nowadays might owe something to the American obsession with Christmas.

With Passover, Rosh Hashanah and Sukkot you have to do a bunch of elaborate stuff. with Hannukah you just light a few more candles and sing a few songs and that's it. Maybe ponder fundamentalist revolution or whatever the gently caress the moral behind the story of the Maccabee uprising actually is.

All I know is that as a non-practicing Jew living in Israel, I would be on the side of the Hellenized Jews, and as a result, on the receiving end of the Hebrew Hammer.

I'd probably avoid siding with Antiochus on this one

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
FYAD pretended to watch Eight Crazy Nights eight nights in a row for another obscure joke?

Corek fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 26, 2015

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
I saw eight crazy nights when Comedy Central got the rights to air it one year. I forget how much I actually watched, but I knew it was going to be completely worthless, and it still managed to fall far below my expectations somehow. It's ugly and stupid and crass in every way possible.

Also, as a Jew, Hannukah was always noted as being a festival, as opposed to the actual holidays that have any devotional importance. It's kind of like the Jewish version of Cinco de Mayo, in that it's a celebration of an incidental military victory that has taken on new life as a time for secular/non-nationalistic revelry far beyond its original significance.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So are they coming back on September 1st?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Eight Crazy Nights has always been dogshit but a lot of Sandler's older movies don't hold up after almost 20 years of him laying his schtick bare to the world. Even his "good" movies still have the shameless money grubbing and product placement whoring with things like the full-length Subway commercial in Happy Gilmore and the ego-massaging of him being super popular and beloved and hooking up with a girl way out of his league even when his character is a loud idiot who never really earns it.

Or, as the scribes at Reddit so succinctly put it:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So are they coming back on September 1st?

One more week, they posted an update on Facebook

We Hate Movies posted:

New digs. New season. Same cartoonish outrage. 9.8.15 ‪#‎WHMSeasonSix‬ ‪#‎WHMLRM‬

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Question for WHM app users

Every time I open the app I get INTERNAL SERVICE FAILURE and a blurb about how it might be related to network connectivity but I can confirm that it isn't. Then the app closes.

Any tips? I tried reinstall and clearing data cache and poo poo.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Unnamed One posted:

Pretty much this and Cat People '82. The hate they have for 8 Crazy Nights is only matched by the pitch perfect impressions of Whitey and the tangents they go off with it. Also I shamelessly enjoy watching 8 Crazy Nights. I am the problem.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I hope next week's rerun isn't Shock To The System because I just re-listened to that episode the other day :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I hope next week's rerun isn't Shock To The System because I just re-listened to that episode the other day :(

Why would you think that when the clue is Samuel Jackson?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I don't even know how many of his movies they've done, but I immediately thought SWAT.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't even know how many of his movies they've done, but I immediately thought SWAT.

Swat is what I assume, but there is also Star Wars or deep blue sea

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

bobkatt013 posted:

Why would you think that when the clue is Samuel Jackson?

I thought he was in that movie? Maybe I'm thinking of another lovely Michael Caine movie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I thought he was in that movie? Maybe I'm thinking of another lovely Michael Caine movie.

He is but the clue is usually not a person whose a quick cameo

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

bobkatt013 posted:

Swat is what I assume, but there is also Star Wars or deep blue sea

SWAT and Deep Blue Sea are still on the current RSS feed, I think they're only putting up older episodes because a lot of people never bother to check the site's back catalog.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

That's a good point. It probably is Episode 1 then.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Weird WHM question. I was listening to the episode for The Rapture yesterday and it had an intro by Andrew saying they cut a scene because of current events. I've not seen the film but I think the scene they cut out was an office shooting. What happened to make them want to cut this? I presume a mass shooting of some kind but I'm curious which one.

America.txt

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

OrthoTrot posted:

Weird WHM question. I was listening to the episode for The Rapture yesterday and it had an intro by Andrew saying they cut a scene because of current events. I've not seen the film but I think the scene they cut out was an office shooting. What happened to make them want to cut this? I presume a mass shooting of some kind but I'm curious which one.

America.txt

If I remember right, it was the Sandy Hook shooting, because the main character shot a child/children.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

PUGGERNAUT posted:

If I remember right, it was the Sandy Hook shooting, because the main character shot a child/children.

Yeah, someone asked the same thing on the WHM subreddit and the response was exactly that.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
The main character shoots her daughter.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't think they would do an episode that is available on the itunes feed. They've always gone with stuff that's no longer available.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
When would you guys say the show really hits it's stride? Some of the early episodes are sorta rough, not bad mind you, but kinda feel like they were finding their footing.

v----That's K9, so like episode 6.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Whenever their first Jim Belushi movie was.