Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I didn't get a credit card until I was like 23/24 and got a Costco membership with the included Amex. I used it a little here and there for the first year, generally paying it off but often leaving some balance on it because I really wasn't making poo poo then. After the interest-free period was over and I paid my first $25 in interest I said fuuuuck that.

Have a different $5k Chase Cashback card I use now but it gets paid in full every month. I only use it to build credit and get cashback on poo poo I'd be buying anyway... eyeing some Milwaukee M18 gear for the current rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Grill. Right now gas so I taste the meat and not the heat, but that's all about to change in 8 days.

Same here but charcoal. Smoked some patties a while back and put mozz, balsamic, basil, and some nice heirloom tomato slices and it was loving amazing. Had to make them extra moist to combat the smoking though so they weren't normal patties.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I play with transferring credit card points to airline miles. I've got a couple hundred k right now, and it's easy to build up large quantities and travel cheaply.

There's even a term for points play -- "churning." 50k points offer here, 35k points offer there, it really adds up. I don't play very hard, though, I worry that too much really would impact my credit score, but there are ways to make real money with credit cards... you just have to get on the other side of the game.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm getting a small windfall, so debts are going away and I'm going to stash a significant portion as a buffer. Probably going to pick up the girlfriend a road bike and grab another camera for myself whenever it goes on sale (lol not paying retail on that garbage). Also pick up some decent coffee stuff. I'm interested to see how my Fico spikes so that it doesn't say "your balance is too high on revolving accounts" for once. Gonna touch the 800s for realises.

I'm on the fence about putting tires on the Miata this year since it's almost over and there's nothing to be gained by buying sticky summer tires on the edge of fall/winter.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I anxiously await the day that I have a credit score of zero. The only outstanding debt to our name is the home mortgage. We are finishing the basement of our home now in cash to the tune of ~$50 grand - adding a ton of equity in the house, after that is done we will begin to aggressively pay down the mortgage because why not, it is better than peeing money away on useless things. We have a goal to have the house paid off when I am 40 years old (so just under 10 years remaining). That would be mega bitching because then my oldest will be 13 and we will be done having kids for certain by then so we can just work on making a nice happy life.

I know a lot of people who always harp on with credit rebates and travel miles and whatever but I would simply say at least at some point in your life you should try the other side. When you have no bills to pay outside of normal utilities and housing expense it is amazing how fast money will start to pile up. Then crap about flyer miles or whatever don't matter because you can just pay for it. You can do nice things for other people because you have the money. Life is way less stressful.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I anxiously await the day that I have a credit score of zero. The only outstanding debt to our name is the home mortgage. We are finishing the basement of our home now in cash to the tune of ~$50 grand - adding a ton of equity in the house, after that is done we will begin to aggressively pay down the mortgage because why not, it is better than peeing money away on useless things. We have a goal to have the house paid off when I am 40 years old (so just under 10 years remaining). That would be mega bitching because then my oldest will be 13 and we will be done having kids for certain by then so we can just work on making a nice happy life.

I know a lot of people who always harp on with credit rebates and travel miles and whatever but I would simply say at least at some point in your life you should try the other side. When you have no bills to pay outside of normal utilities and housing expense it is amazing how fast money will start to pile up. Then crap about flyer miles or whatever don't matter because you can just pay for it. You can do nice things for other people because you have the money. Life is way less stressful.

Right, but the idea is to earn reward miles on stuff you're already paying for like utilities and whatnot. Not earning miles by paying retail on other vacations. So, if you spent $50k on the basement, but cycled it through rewards cards, that's a lot of free miles / cashback, particularly if you do it during a promotion of "double rewards in the first six months!!!" they tend to offer. And if you're using a HELOC, the CC gets paid off right away anyway.

My Dad paid for several semesters of my college room and board on his GM card before the university wised up and charged a fee for credit card use. He had the money, but free GM points made a difference when he bought a suburban down the road. See also, negotiating a price, then bringing up all of the discounts you get from other sources. The dealer wasn't too thrilled about that, but it worked out pretty well!

I got burned a bit by relying on a credit card too much while I was in grad school, but sold a bunch of stuff to pay it off, and it's worked out pretty well since. Did without a CC for a few years, but you really don't get as much fraud protection with a debit card, and I buy everything online, so there's that.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I run my debit as credit :smug:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Phone posted:

I'm getting a small windfall, so debts are going away and I'm going to stash a significant portion as a buffer. Probably going to pick up the girlfriend a road bike and grab another camera for myself whenever it goes on sale (lol not paying retail on that garbage). Also pick up some decent coffee stuff. I'm interested to see how my Fico spikes so that it doesn't say "your balance is too high on revolving accounts" for once. Gonna touch the 800s for realises.

I'm on the fence about putting tires on the Miata this year since it's almost over and there's nothing to be gained by buying sticky summer tires on the edge of fall/winter.

My wife just hit 800. I still have a ways to go because of stupid decisions made at 18 and in the army.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Geoj posted:

Most banks don't charge fees for debit cards because they're already making money hand over fist on transaction fees (charged to the merchant) and don't want to do anything that would discourage debit card use.

Of course that makes the ones that do even bigger pieces of poo poo.

Stupid question possibly, but why does anyone bank with them? It just seems like such a weird way of doing things considering debit card transactions and such have been free over here in the UK since forever. I heard some banks charge you to use other bank's ATMs too? Here you just hit up whichever is convenient. Do you have chip and pin yet?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
They told me mine was 754 or something in that area when i got my S2K, and AFAIK I haven't done anything since then to make it worse

So I guess there is one part of my life that isn't terrible :v:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Merchants have to pay a higher fee when you use a credit card or a debit card as credit. Those reward points and cash back don't all just come straight from the cc company.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

El Jebus posted:

My wife just hit 800. I still have a ways to go because of stupid decisions made at 18 and in the army.

My wife has been in the 800's for a while, meanwhile I'm sitting at low-medium 700's, because every loan except for 1 is attached to only me. She was a student for all but 1 of them so they didn't want her as a co-signer.

edit: typically the discussion is something along these lines

wife: HA! I'M IN THE 800'S SUCK IT!
me: You're welcome...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

keykey posted:

My wife has been in the 800's for a while, meanwhile I'm sitting at low-medium 700's, because every loan except for 1 is attached to only me. She was a student for all but 1 of them so they didn't want her as a co-signer.

edit: typically the discussion is something along these lines

wife: HA! I'M IN THE 800'S SUCK IT!
me: You're welcome...

Ha, wife kinda bailed me out so its more of "I'd have hit 800 sooner if I hadn't married you..."

She is in charge of the finances now. She also has a PhD so she is pretty much just better than me in most ways. Now that I think about it I'm pretty much her maid/mechanic/litter box scooper. Meh, works for me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jamal posted:

Merchants have to pay a higher fee when you use a credit card or a debit card as credit. Those reward points and cash back don't all just come straight from the cc company.

Yep - but unless a given merchant actually offers me a significantly better price to go cash / debit instead, I'm going to keep running credit. Gas stations seem to be one of the only businesses that routinely offer cash / credit pricing, but I've never found a gas station that has cash pricing even close to being the same as the 3% I get back on gas purchases.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

meatpimp posted:

It's only a scam for the weak-willed and uneducated. If we would teach our children how to use credit, poo poo, if we would teach our children how to live... instead of just throwing them out into the world, a lot of these "scams" wouldn't happen.

Credit is the exact same thing as going to the bank and asking them for a loan. The bank puts up the money and you get your product. If you pay the bank back right away, it's no different than using cash, it is just more convenient.

If, however, you view your credit limit as something to reach, then you're in for a world of hurt. You will willfully indebt yourself to the bank and pay them back the cash they loaned to you, plus a silly amount of interest.

The secret is -- don't "buy" anything with a credit card that you don't have the money to pay off immediately. That sounds simplistic, but a lot of people get burned on a daily basis with that poo poo.

I do have to 100% agree here. I hosed up, terribly, when I was younger. 5k debt when you make 18k a year and 1/3 goes to taxes and 1/3 to rent/utilities and you have 1/3 left for food/gas/etc...sucks. Managed to get myself out of that with some luck (can't call it anything but). So glad I didn't end worse off. I've been super-careful since then. Our schools do not train you for this, and I had parents who were solid middle-class and I didn't realize that "put stuff on CC for points" also meant paying it off hahah.

kastein posted:

I have been getting away with it so far, because I bought a falling down shithole house for less than most of my friends spent on their down payment (no mortgage), shitpile cars paid for with cash, etc.

But if there's anything I have learned it's that my plans mean nothing and life will change at a moments notice, so the fact that I don't see why I would ever need a good credit score right now is probably not good enough justification to not have one.

You've done it the smart way, truthfully. I'm so pissed about what we spent when we moved, but the wife had less than a month to quit her old job, me to sell my lovely old fixer-upper, and use to move 1/2 way across the country. Rent prices were more than the mortgage, and anything below 200k was an honest to god shithole. I would've been okay with that had we any time to fix something up before we moved, but, yeah.

Get some credit score, just in case. Better to have and not need and all that.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

meatpimp posted:

Do you own the house? That sounds like it would be (have been) better to get a home equity loan than to put it on cards... the interest certainly would be (have been) much lower.

Yes, but it's complicated. My brother & I inherited the house from our dad. I had to do the renovations while the estate was in probate, so when I did them, technically I wasn't the owner. Now that it's out of probate, there is another issue, namely Bank of America won't let me just assume the mortgage. In order to get the mortgage in my name I have to refinance and qualify for it, which I may be able to do in another 6 months or so, since I just started this job. I knew I was going to inherit the house, as the estate had more than enough in different accounts to cover the bills, but I could not access that money for anything other than setting debts against the estate. I probably could have paid off the house if I didn't have to fight my mother for the 401k that she tried to take (they had been divorced for 10 years at this point, he didn't update the beneficiary form), which extended the time we were required to keep the estate in probate.

I know it wasn't the best decision, but it was what I had to do at the time, since I didn't have access to most of the inherited assets. We only owe about 130k (and it's tax assessed at just under 300k) on it so it's not too bad, and the mortgage is cheap (for this area). At the time I was dealing with a lot of paperwork, and the emotional stress, so thats just how it worked out. I couldn't really afford to keep the house and not live there (I was renting elsewhere the time), and my dad was a hoarder, so repairs/renovations had to be done. :sigh:

It's ok though, I just made a 5k payment on the big cc balance, and I know once paychecks start coming in for my new job I'll be able to pay it all down. It's only my 3rd week here, and I've got 12 hours of OT.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My cash back money score is over 9000!!!!!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Paperwork is moving, slowly, but it's moving. Solicitors have penciled contacts in for Friday. making GBS threads hell I hope nothing goes wrong, as solicitors don't work Saturdays (and seem to take 3 hour lunches :argh: ) that leaves us no leeway.

Also snagging: 1 missing light bulb, 1 broken fridge drawer, a couple of scrapes in the paint, some vapor barrier in the door canopy needed trimming. That was it, literally. No leaks, incorrect fittings, missing screws, lovely woodwork etc, actually amazing. I had my father in law come check I hadn't missed anything just in case the optimism and rose tinted goggles were getting in the way.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RXhcqdewf0

Spoiler: he likes it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lost it at "MEDIOCRE".

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

rdb posted:

A good credit score will save you money on insurance. If you have homeowners and a car or two it will be worth it just for that.

This right here.

In Arizona the difference in premium between excellent and fair credit score is 141%

Even if you don't want to get a good credit score its important.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

88h88 posted:

How do banks work in the US? You have to PAY to use a debit card? The gently caress??

Like someone else said, depends on the bank. The good banks and credit unions don't charge you to use your debit card, and it's usually possible to get a completely free checking account (with a debit card) by signing up for electronic statements (sometimes they also require direct deposit).

88h88 posted:

Stupid question possibly, but why does anyone bank with them? It just seems like such a weird way of doing things considering debit card transactions and such have been free over here in the UK since forever. I heard some banks charge you to use other bank's ATMs too? Here you just hit up whichever is convenient. Do you have chip and pin yet?

Not only do some banks change you to use someone else's ATMs, but the owner of the ATM *also* charges you, usually to the tune of $2-3 per transaction.

Thankfully my bank belongs to a rather large ATM network, so I don't pay any fees of any kind if I use an ATM in-network. And my bank doesn't charge me for using any ATM.

There's always the option of getting cash back when using your debit card at a grocery store too - USUALLY gets around ATM fees. Some really crappy banks charge a fee for doing that though.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

My credit union refunds me any ATM fees that third parties charge :smug:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Like someone else said, depends on the bank. The good banks and credit unions don't charge you to use your debit card, and it's usually possible to get a completely free checking account (with a debit card) by signing up for electronic statements (sometimes they also require direct deposit).

Not only do some banks change you to use someone else's ATMs, but the owner of the ATM *also* charges you, usually to the tune of $2-3 per transaction.

Thankfully my bank belongs to a rather large ATM network, so I don't pay any fees of any kind if I use an ATM in-network. And my bank doesn't charge me for using any ATM.

There's always the option of getting cash back when using your debit card at a grocery store too - USUALLY gets around ATM fees. Some really crappy banks charge a fee for doing that though.

And usaa and some others will also pay you back up to a certain amount for using other ATMs!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RIP Paul Walker posted:

My credit union refunds me any ATM fees that third parties charge :smug:

My bank does too

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My credit score is in the mid-lowish 700s and so is my wifes.

Honestly though, pretty much anything above 675 is considered "good" these days. When I applied for my mortgage, they said once you are over 700 you don't gain much in terms of interest rate savings, it more or less applies to how the bank perceives you as a risk for unsecured loans. But even then, any more 750 is excellent, so your going to get the best offers.

Credit is so silly in how it all works. You need to carry a balance below 50%, but then if you don't use credit at all, and pay cash its detrimental to your ability to get a loan. But honestly, I compare a credit score as your "Stock" price. Its just a perception of how the banks think you can pay back the debt load you carry.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My stock price is pretty low right now if anyone is looking to invest. HMU.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

Lost it at "MEDIOCRE".

Lost it at "Darude Sandstorm"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

My stock price is pretty low right now if anyone is looking to invest. HMU.

What does 120 Cr Kuna get me?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I have to listen to talk radio at work, and they are doing a piece right now about what moments in films or TV make you cry. I was saying to my dad:

:v: "you want to know how I know nobody younger than 40 listens to the radio?"
:clint: "how"
:v: "Because nobody called in to say that Futurama episode with Fry's dog."
:clint: "your generation is stupid."

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yeah and I was the one tryna pull them back out after they got stuck. Which is why my back hurts now. I just watched the lead tech tape a bunch of cables together like a retard and then take two hours to get it all back out only for me to redo it and get it all upstairs in 15 minutes. Maybe he will start to listen to me now?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm going to guess he won't.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah well after today I made sure to reschedule my dream job interview for this Friday instead of waiting another week.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Took my brother to the airport at 5am this morning. And now back to your regularly scheduled impending mental breakdown.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Meh, the other thing to remember is that some of us get reimbursed by our employers for travel expenses, which means that the points that I earn on my Hilton Amex literally means free vacations for me.

Since I haven't spent much time in AI, I'm sure where to post this, but I wanted to share with some folks who would appreciate it. I recently bought a used, 2007 Hyundai. It was one owner, and I don't think he EVER changed the cabin air filter.

I wish I had weighed it, as it weighed drat near 2 pounds. And YES, that's a loving cigarette butt; I've certainly never seen that before.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

That cigarette butt is loving hilarious.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, and I love the little shreds of paper that proves it really did get pulled through.

This seriously grosses me out, I'm super anal about changing cabin air filters. The car did NOT smell that bad inside or I wouldn't have bought it. I was pretty shocked when I yanked that mess out.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Christ did the guy just empty his trash into the cabin air intake or something?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Hello Fireball my old friend. Asked for a shot, got a 3 finger glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
[quote="Super Aggro Crag" post="449419905"]
Hello Fireball my old friend/quote]

I've come to drink with you again

• Locked thread