Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
The way you deal with triffid queens is to drop a piece of paper on their extremely-flammable trails of foilage and set it on fire, sit around for a half hour, then after everything burns out you chop up all the delicious veggie steaks and fibers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I just downloaded the latest experimental (it's my first time playing in a while) and it seems like you go deaf really easily now? And for extended periods? I've got NPCs turned on but can never talk to any of them as I'm constantly walking around in a deafened daze from all the destruction raging around me.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

nftyw posted:

The way you deal with triffid queens is to drop a piece of paper on their extremely-flammable trails of foilage and set it on fire, sit around for a half hour, then after everything burns out you chop up all the delicious veggie steaks and fibers.

I never thought of that.

However chance your sitting around to constructing a fortress on their corpse.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It doesnt work on fungal towers. loving spore breath puts out fires around them, so I charged through the fire and shot it to death.

At which point the ring of fire surrounding the tower turned into an all consuming inferno. RIP me.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

SynthOrange posted:

It doesnt work on fungal towers. loving spore breath puts out fires around them, so I charged through the fire and shot it to death.

At which point the ring of fire surrounding the tower turned into an all consuming inferno. RIP me.

Do mininukes still work on fungal towers?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Do mininukes still work on fungal towers?

I went into a missile silo and sent a nuke on a tower because gently caress fungus.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Koorisch posted:

I went into a missile silo and sent a nuke on a tower because gently caress fungus.

You... you can manually target actual, full-scale nukes? I've never gone into a missile silo. Clearly I've been missing out :stare:

Anyway, a fusion blaster rifle and the UPS bionic will clear up fungal infestations right quick. Then again, they'll clear up anything right quick. Also there will be nothing left to salvage afterwards and you'll be deaf and everything will be on fire. But the bastard fungus will be gone! :haw:

e: A tactical nuke sounds like a wonderfully convenient, hilariously overkill way to complete the "travel a ridiculous distance and kill some lovely bandits" mission the Old Guard representative from the survivor centre gives you.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 24, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Koorisch posted:

What is the effective range on one of those?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it wipes out a few map tiles.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

SynthOrange posted:

Oh man the Abandoned challenge start now lets you pick Broken Cyborg. That start is looking very tempting now.

Do you still get Frail?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Unless they've nerfed it in a later build, the most effective weapon for dealing with Triffids and fungus still seems to be the mini-flamethrower CBM, at least as long as you're outdoors; chain-activate it on a couple of tiles several times and there's not much that can stop the ensuing inferno. I haven't stuck around to physically burn down the tower itself, but fire is still pretty effective for nuking everything on a fungus tile last I checked, and it mulches the roaming Triffid groves like little else.

Fire in general is really, really strong in Cataclysm. Fun fact: The slime in slime pits is shockingly flammable (at a guess, mechanically, maybe it's just re-skinned vegetation tiles), so if you absolutely have to traverse one for some reason, you can cut down on the tedium slightly if you can get a decent fire started and wait in one of the rock alcoves around the edge for a while to let it burn.

Fire is also a good distraction/escape cover/AoE damage assist for dealing with zombie hordes. Fire good.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

There's an anti-fungal sprayer in the experimentals now. Don't know how well it works, but it's a thing.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Unless they've nerfed it in a later build, the most effective weapon for dealing with Triffids and fungus still seems to be the mini-flamethrower CBM, at least as long as you're outdoors; chain-activate it on a couple of tiles several times and there's not much that can stop the ensuing inferno. I haven't stuck around to physically burn down the tower itself, but fire is still pretty effective for nuking everything on a fungus tile last I checked, and it mulches the roaming Triffid groves like little else.

Fire in general is really, really strong in Cataclysm. Fun fact: The slime in slime pits is shockingly flammable (at a guess, mechanically, maybe it's just re-skinned vegetation tiles), so if you absolutely have to traverse one for some reason, you can cut down on the tedium slightly if you can get a decent fire started and wait in one of the rock alcoves around the edge for a while to let it burn.

Fire is also a good distraction/escape cover/AoE damage assist for dealing with zombie hordes. Fire good.

On the topic of slime pits, is there ever a reason to go in/near one? I've never found a (worthwhile) use for goo, so when I found one I experimentally tossed an indendiary at the lot of them and watched, transfixed as the glorious flames purged the filth from the world.

Afterwards, I found a slope down that led to what I can only describe as an underground ocean of slime that apparently had more beneath it (I could see another downward slope just within visual range) but because there were shittons of slime, I just tossed another incendiary and tootled off for pastures new.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

PiCroft posted:

On the topic of slime pits, is there ever a reason to go in/near one? I've never found a (worthwhile) use for goo, so when I found one I experimentally tossed an indendiary at the lot of them and watched, transfixed as the glorious flames purged the filth from the world.

Blob globs have a few uses. Mutagen, specialized slime mutagen, superglue, and grenades that spawn friendly (maybe?) slimes. http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/slime_scrap/recipes/CC_CHEM for all the recipes. Don't underestimate the tainted meat/glob cost of brewing a few gallons of mutagen.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You also need slime mutagen to make alpha mutagen.

Although the biggest bottleneck for that is bird mutagen tbh, it's a pain in the arse finding all those eggs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Do you still get Frail?

Yup. You start off with all the alloy armor cbm mods though.

tooterfish posted:

You also need slime mutagen to make alpha mutagen.

Although the biggest bottleneck for that is bird mutagen tbh, it's a pain in the arse finding all those eggs.

After searching your hundredth bush just wish yourself some bird eggs.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If you wait until spring you can usually find plenty, it's just the waiting part that sucks.

If you want to be alpha before the first year's out, you need to pre-emptively gather eggs. It's a bit gamey, but first world problems and all hat.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Grocery stores can give you a few bird eggs each. Doesn't matter that they rot super early, mutagen doesn't care about rottenness.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

For guaranteed FULL ALPHA (raar!) status, you need something like 10 serums, maybe a few more just to be safe. That's 40+ eggs. Better off picking them up off the ground to be honest.

Eggs do seem to keep for ages though, so it's not like you have to use them straight away.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

PiCroft posted:

On the topic of slime pits, is there ever a reason to go in/near one?

Mutagens, glue, and if you have the proper mods, possibly weird vehicle stuff. The insides of slime pits are MASSIVE, and chokablok with more slimes; it's not a bad way to mindlessly grind up combat skills in the midgame to lategame, if you really want. The loot tables for slime pits seem to be limited, and each one seems to only have one or two kinds of items scattered sparsely throughout; mine had glass bottles and aluminum kegs, another person reported giant stockpiles of playboys. I'd guess it's like the anthills which have several copies of one or two CBMs each.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013
Also, you should still be able to use the eggs in the recipe even if they're rotten

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I don't know about it was changed specifically, but in the most recent experimental it seems like every encounter with a spitter unavoidably results in at least 12 pain as they spit acid that dissolves my legs, quickly resulting in death from the pain debuffs.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Hadn't checked out this thread in a while, good to know the development team remains as terrible as ever. I'll keep sticking to the last stable until they introduce something absolutely amazing, as soon as they're done with fursuit pattern customization.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I just parked a car across the street from a regional school, blew the horn a couple of times, then scampered away, got a road roller, and flattened a swarm of zombie children that came out to investigate the noise.

The carnage is incredible.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know about it was changed specifically, but in the most recent experimental it seems like every encounter with a spitter unavoidably results in at least 12 pain as they spit acid that dissolves my legs, quickly resulting in death from the pain debuffs.

You need some boots with decent environmental protection, you end up standing in a pool of acid when the spitters hit you.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Inadequately posted:

Hadn't checked out this thread in a while, good to know the development team remains as terrible as ever. I'll keep sticking to the last stable until they introduce something absolutely amazing, as soon as they're done with fursuit pattern customization.

lol

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Kafouille posted:

You need some boots with decent environmental protection, you end up standing in a pool of acid when the spitters hit you.

Even steel-toed boots/survivor boots aren't enough to stop it from sometimes chain-rotting you down for a few dozen hp in a single go and putting your pain up an equal amount. Maybe ANBC/heavy survivor gear is a little better, but at present it's surprisingly potent and is one of the few things in a horde of zombies that can really threaten an endgame character just from pain attrition.

It's worst when you get hit by grapples/knockdowns, which seem to be slightly buggy and sometimes hit you SEVERAL times with environmental damage if they get you in acid or fire.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Rubber boots block 95% of acid spit-related problems. All those janitor's closets you ignored!

Also yes Hazmat and ANBC suits are complete acid puddle immunity, but not Survivor boots.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Double fisting purifier and medical mutagen to try to get Robust Genetics is more hilarious than I gave it credit for.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Post the text log!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Semi-related, is there a way to scroll the text log upward?

Edit: Capital P apparently, I didn't even know that screen existed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Post the text log!
In album format:
http://imgur.com/a/EHtzU

I had to drop stuff in the middle of it because my pain was over 100 and it was encumbering my strength like woah. I'll also note that that was a gallon jug of mutagen and I still never got Robust Genetics. I guess it is not really that big of a deal since medical mutagen is pretty simple to make (just raid a hospital), but as funny as it was to watch poor Sanjana Moran flop around like a fish while guzzling terrible liquids that should not be I think I'm just gonna take it at chargen from now on.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 25, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mzbundifund posted:

Rubber boots block 95% of acid spit-related problems. All those janitor's closets you ignored!

Also yes Hazmat and ANBC suits are complete acid puddle immunity, but not Survivor boots.

On the other hand rubber boots have pretty high encumbrance so they slow your movespeed down by a lot. I think light survivor boots have similar environmental protection and 0 encumbrance.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Go plain old mutagen serum or go home, he says from his bunker at the edge of a slime pit to harvest for blobs.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SynthOrange posted:

Go plain old mutagen serum or go home, he says from his bunker at the edge of a slime pit to harvest for blobs.

Why harvest a slime pit? Just clear out a school or hospital or something and get some cool books/drugs alongside a massive supply of tainted meat. It doesn't even matter whether it's rotten if you're using it to make mutagen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont need to butcher slimes. 1 in 10 slimes wont punch you across the map, melt your feet, or dodge all your bullets :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i don't butcher zombie swarms either i just lure them out with a big noise and then run them over with a road roller with spikes glued on the front

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Does driving over rubble damage vehicle parts? I don't think it does, since you don't get a message that it's hitting something like you do with bushes for example. Some confirmation would be nice, though, seeing as I've been driving through a load of craters recently, and since my vehicle always has a bunch of damaged parts anyway from this and that, I often wonder if the rubble is responsible for any of it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
So what affects a vehicle's max speed, exactly? Is it just engine vs. weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who knows. When in doubt I just weld on more stuff.