Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

wolrah posted:

Uh...screenshot? Maybe with a right click > Properties in there too?

I think you may have ended up with some other kind of network share shortcut. Mapped drives definitely still have letters just like always.

Apparently I used the 'map a network location' which is different...somehow. I found the network drive option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Tried to upgrade from The 7 OEM (dual boot with Debian/GRUB on a separate drive). The upgrade hosed my chainloading, so I'm all Debian at home, but want to get back to my Winduz-only games at some point.

Guess I'll unplug my other drives and reinstall The 7, and immediately upgrade again before putting them back in, and see what happens. To get grub to work right I'll probably have to *gulp* read.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Grub still works it just doesn't load into windows 10? Just load into linux and install grub customizer. It scans your drives and builds a new grub configuration.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

nielsm posted:

Your camera appears to the computer as an "imaging device" (that has storage) rather than a "mass storage device". The "imaging device" protocol on USB can let the hardware present a filesystem-like interface to already recorded images, but it doesn't work as an actual file system. That is, the camera is telling the computer "these are the pictures I have taken".

The "mass storage device" protocol (device class) on the other hand, is general file storage. Some cameras, especially higher end ones, have a setting in its menu to control how it presents itself to the computer. If your camera allows you to switch mode like that, try it. That will essentially make it act like a very expensive and power-hungry memory card reader.

Programs have to be written specially to be able to handle the USB "imaging device" protocol at all. It seems to be a new thing that Windows 10 tries to work around this by copying the pictures over to a temporary folder on the harddrive, then opening the copy in a program.
IrfanView doesn't handle the "imagine device" protocol, that's why your camera doesn't show up there. It only handles normal drives/mass storage devices.

Well, I would like Windows 10 to handle my camera the way that Windows XP and Windows 7 did, by which I mean I could plug in the Camera's USB cable, turn the camera on and scroll through the images on the camera's memory card.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Repo Man posted:

Well, I would like Windows 10 to handle my camera the way that Windows XP and Windows 7 did, by which I mean I could plug in the Camera's USB cable, turn the camera on and scroll through the images on the camera's memory card.

WinAero Tweaker has an option to re-enable the Windows 7 photo viewer.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

wormil posted:

I think Chrome in general is going down the tubes. I started having problems with it sometime back on W7 and now this issue with YouTube. It froze my computer for several minutes last night. Been reading of more issues after W10 upgrade. Probably time to move back to Firefox until Edge gets sorted.

I'd never experienced this problem until I got a new computer at work. The problem I had was an occasional issue between Ad Block Plus and Youtube. Switching to uBlock Origin fixed my issue.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Stinky_Pete posted:

Tried to upgrade from The 7 OEM (dual boot with Debian/GRUB on a separate drive). The upgrade hosed my chainloading, so I'm all Debian at home, but want to get back to my Winduz-only games at some point.

Guess I'll unplug my other drives and reinstall The 7, and immediately upgrade again before putting them back in, and see what happens. To get grub to work right I'll probably have to *gulp* read.

the windows bootloader has always been completely loving stupid and paternalistic. the windows installer doesn't understand that anyone could possibly want to have any other option than "boot windaz lol" so it either clobbers your existing bootloaders or installs it to the wrong drive which doesn't get picked up by the mobo. i fiddled with my sata-to-legacy-ide mappings in my bios so that the win10 bootloader got installed to the fake "primary" ide device, which didn't muck up my existing GRUB install. so if i want to boot into the GRUB loader i just have to hit the "select boot device" key during bootup and pick the other drive that has it on it. it's maybe not ideal but dealing with the windows bootloader using official tools is such a moronic task that i eventually just said fuckit and gave up :mad:

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

In Win10, my mapped network drives no longer have a drive letter attached to them. This makes some apps (like Deluge) unable to see the folders. Is there a way to force a drive association instead of the folder thing Win10 tries to do by itself?

Are you running Deluge as a service? The same issue occurs with Sonarr as a service due to Windows 10 restricting guest access to remote file shares for services. Try changing the service to run as a local user and it should start working again.

https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/wiki/FAQ#why-cant-sonarr-see-my-files-on-a-remote-server

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sys_srv_logon_user.mspx?mfr=true

Edit: Ignore the "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService" part and make a new local user - not sure if you need to make a new local user account for the computer before doing this part of whether it'll wing it - but that's the way I resolved this.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 26, 2015

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Perhaps someone can answer this, it was brought up earlier ..

I understand what happens, but WHY does Microsoft litter every single disk I have connected at the time of a Windows installation with what is seemingly critical files for the bootloader to function? I have two disks that just contained data but when you remove one of those the system refuses to boot.

I don't even begin to see a good reason to do this. Is it because of secure boot and all that other crap?

Windows queries the bios (or uefi) about what drive it will try to boot from first. It then sticks its bootloader on that drive.

It doesn't matter that the bios will simply go down the list until it finds the drive you are installing windows on, or that the order can change depending on the whims of whoever programmed the bios (new usb keyboard? enumeration order change!). Windows will always jump on that first listed drive.

Extra annoying is when the SATA port order screened on the MB isn't the enumeration order used by the bios.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BDawg posted:

I'd never experienced this problem until I got a new computer at work. The problem I had was an occasional issue between Ad Block Plus and Youtube. Switching to uBlock Origin fixed my issue.

I'm already using ublock origin, which I tried turning off, no difference. Disabled hardware acceleration, no difference.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

EoRaptor posted:

Windows queries the bios (or uefi) about what drive it will try to boot from first. It then sticks its bootloader on that drive.

It doesn't matter that the bios will simply go down the list until it finds the drive you are installing windows on, or that the order can change depending on the whims of whoever programmed the bios (new usb keyboard? enumeration order change!). Windows will always jump on that first listed drive.

Extra annoying is when the SATA port order screened on the MB isn't the enumeration order used by the bios.

This is what I expected.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Subjunctive posted:

What, if any, extensions do you have installed? Does logging out of FB and back in help? Are there errors in the JS console?

Hey, I took your advice in looking at extensions, I disabled a handful that I don't/haven't used in a long time and this seems to have fixed the problem. Not sure exactly which one it was but don't really care enough to bother sifting through them again. Thanks!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Stanley Pain posted:

What happens if you just hold the power button down to turn it off? See if it still drains that was as a test.

This worked. If I hold the power button to turn off the laptop, then it is legitimately off and the battery doesn't get drained. if I power it down via Windows then the battery drains.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Will the automatic updates for the Home edition force me to upgrade Skype? I've refused to update it beyond the last one before they made text chat into huge obnoxious conversation bubbles because that's what I use it for the most and I liked it the way it was, dammit. It comes up in the Windows Update list for optional updates but I always leave it unchecked.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have an issue with win 10 on a laptop. It has an ELAN track pad which I think windows is treating like a touch screen - it jumps around where you touch, but is not usable. I've just been using a mouse, but it would be nice to be able to use my track pad.

Drivers say they are up to date

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Massasoit posted:

I have an issue with win 10 on a laptop. It has an ELAN track pad which I think windows is treating like a touch screen - it jumps around where you touch, but is not usable. I've just been using a mouse, but it would be nice to be able to use my track pad.

Drivers say they are up to date

What is the make and model of the laptop? Searching for elan is kind of a needle in a haystack.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Lum posted:

WinAero Tweaker has an option to re-enable the Windows 7 photo viewer.

I did an upgrade install, so that never went away for me. What changed was the way the camera's memory card is handled when I plug it in to my computer by a USB cable. I've sent a trouble report in, hopefully it will be addressed in some upcoming patch.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rexxed posted:

What is the make and model of the laptop? Searching for elan is kind of a needle in a haystack.

Samsung qx 410

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

how do I get rid of birthday notifications? I've gone into calender and unclicked birthdays from my calendars but I still get these.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Just a warning:

If you upgrade to 10, then downgrade, then upgrade again, it makes it so you can no longer downgrade after that. It deletes your old windows file.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I'm having a display issue that's proving hard to solve because its tough to describe in search engine terms and everything I find tends to come down to "get the latest driver!"

It started when I first upgraded my desktop (from Win7) and seemed to be fixed when I installed the latest nVidia driver the same day (using a GTX580), but the other day it returned:

-On the login screen, my account photo is just a black circle. The text box where you enter your password glitches as you type, it adds what looks like a cursor between every character of the hidden account password. These were both normal for a time after I upgraded the driver, then it reverted back.
-The Start menu is glitchy, sometimes it wont completely populate, there will be spaces where icons/programs should be but they're invisible, or just the icon is there, or just the text. Sometimes the text is black against the menu's dark grey, sometimes not.
-When closing, moving or minimizing a window, it kind of flickers, like it leaves behind a glitchy flash as it closes, only lasts a split second.
-In Windows 10 settings panels, like the Start menu, text and buttons are sometimes invisible. In the user settings, the photo is again black. Here's a screenshot:

Normally I'd think my graphics card was dying, is it just a coincidence that this started as soon as I upgraded?

edit: here's another screenshot, this one in one of the settings panels, showing what happens when you click the drop down menu "When PC wakes up from sleep"... it just turns blue, the options don't appear, there's no way of selecting any of them or even seeing what they are:

MANIFEST DESTINY fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 27, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So for people saying you can't remove certain apps (like Cortana and Edge), you absolutely can. You have to go scorched earth on them, but you can kill them for good. Of course once you do that, you can't bring them back. Also, killing Cortana removes the ability to search from the start menu (the normal search bar in explorer still works, though). You also can't remove the icons as far as I can tell. They just don't do anything when you click on them.

That being said, I did this entirely to see if I could; now that I managed to do it, I have to go and reinstall Windows since I actually want some of those features back. :shobon:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Massasoit posted:

Samsung qx 410

Check out:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...94336ac2?auth=1

The second post has a fix (reverting to the windows 7 driver), but you may have to hide the windows 10 driver update to prevent the new messed up driver from being reinstalled. There's details further in that thread.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KillHour posted:

So for people saying you can't remove certain apps (like Cortana and Edge), you absolutely can. You have to go scorched earth on them, but you can kill them for good. Of course once you do that, you can't bring them back. Also, killing Cortana removes the ability to search from the start menu (the normal search bar in explorer still works, though). You also can't remove the icons as far as I can tell. They just don't do anything when you click on them.

That being said, I did this entirely to see if I could; now that I managed to do it, I have to go and reinstall Windows since I actually want some of those features back. :shobon:

death to cortana

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

go3 posted:

death to cortana

Delete this folder.

But don't say I didn't warn you.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

In windows 7 when you eject an SD card while it's explorer window was open it would eject and close the window, in windows 10 it gives the "device in use" error as if you had a file from it open in an application. It's a minor thing but kinda annoying to me as I'm into photography and am always swapping around SD cards and not really paying attention to what's open. Is there a registry hack or something to restore the Windows 7 functionality? I know this is a stupid thing to care about :spergin:

e: I'm talking about a regular explorer window, treating the card as a drive, not the windows camera wizard thing that some digital cameras force on you

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 27, 2015

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

KillHour posted:

I don't get it. Change "Cortana and Search" settings, and the default browser setting, and you'll never see Cortana and Edge. Do they run in the background still or take up a lot of space or something? Why would you want to go further, save out of some hatred of Cortana on a personal level?

I know this may sound lazy, but is there some way for the Device Manager to automatically check to see if everything has the latest driver installed? Surely the only way can't be to click each device, click "update driver software", click "search automatically for updated driver software", then close, right?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

William Bear posted:

I don't get it. Change "Cortana and Search" settings, and the default browser setting, and you'll never see Cortana and Edge. Do they run in the background still or take up a lot of space or something? Why would you want to go further, save out of some hatred of Cortana on a personal level?

It was literally an "Everyone is telling me it can't be done. I must do it." type thing. I ended up reinstalling Windows to get them back (which isn't as bad as it sounds - you can install Windows 10 over an existing install, keeping your programs and settings). Honestly, I just didn't like the fact that there's no sane way to uninstall them. I look at all the Bing Finance and XBox app poo poo the same way I look at 60 day Symantec trials and Wild Tangent bloatware that comes on OEM PCs. I have exactly 0 desire to ever be part of Microsoft's ecosystem, and I don't like them presuming that I'm okay with any of it.

Edit: Cortana uses 37MB of memory. This is outrageous! :bahgawd:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 27, 2015

Bloody Typical
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, keep the noise down Jerk, this is a residential area.
Talking of Cortana, has anybody come accross problems downloading different speech packs?

I've added the UK language pack and set as defult but cannot get the UK speech pack to download as that option never appears and it's stuck on English US

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So what is the story with hibernation and why doesn't it work for some people like me? I put the computer into hibernate and it immediately reawakens.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

KillHour posted:

Delete this folder.

But don't say I didn't warn you.

KillHour posted:

It was literally an "Everyone is telling me it can't be done. I must do it." type thing. I ended up reinstalling Windows to get them back (which isn't as bad as it sounds - you can install Windows 10 over an existing install, keeping your programs and settings). Honestly, I just didn't like the fact that there's no sane way to uninstall them. I look at all the Bing Finance and XBox app poo poo the same way I look at 60 day Symantec trials and Wild Tangent bloatware that comes on OEM PCs. I have exactly 0 desire to ever be part of Microsoft's ecosystem, and I don't like them presuming that I'm okay with any of it.

Edit: Cortana uses 37MB of memory. This is outrageous! :bahgawd:

I don't really consider "Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Remove-AppxPackage" to be that insane. It's pretty cool that they shipped cmdlets for appx package management, actually. E: maybe just "Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" but I dont want to test it :)

It's wrong to consider Bing Finance or whatever on the same level as rootkits, because one is uninstallable by right click => uninstall, and the other is a rootkit.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
bbbut muh micro$soft botnet :tizzy:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't really consider "Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Remove-AppxPackage" to be that insane. It's pretty cool that they shipped cmdlets for appx package management, actually. E: maybe just "Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" but I dont want to test it :)

It's wrong to consider Bing Finance or whatever on the same level as rootkits, because one is uninstallable by right click => uninstall, and the other is a rootkit.

You can't uninstall Cortana that way. Give it a shot - Windows just throws an error at you saying it needs it. Same with edge.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

This worked. If I hold the power button to turn off the laptop, then it is legitimately off and the battery doesn't get drained. if I power it down via Windows then the battery drains.

I had a feeling this would be the case, but I was hoping it wouldn't. Windows isn't halting the computer at all.

Trying running shutdown /s from a command prompt and see if it experiences the same problem. One other question. Are you using any start menu replacement?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Segmentation Fault posted:

bbbut muh micro$soft botnet :tizzy:

oh gently caress off

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Build 10532 is out.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-insider-preview-build-10532-download-now

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 27, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hey, look at that.

They're fixing the inconsistent context menu appearances.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

wolrah posted:

Hey, look at that.

They're fixing the inconsistent context menu appearances.

Is it just me or is that really huge/weird looking

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

d0s posted:

Is it just me or is that really huge/weird looking

Welcome to the new design where everything has ugly giant blank spaces around it even when you don't have a touch-screen where it might matter a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've got the same issue with this build that I did with the last. Firefox will connect to the internet and load any site, as will Chrome.

Edge and IE will not load specific things, like google.com. They will load random sites. Windows Update can't connect to the internet, nor can the Store.

I'd like to stay on this build - how do I fix this? I've been clutching at straws here. I reset the ip settings in the Command Prompt and uninstalled then reinstalled the driver. Suggestions?

Odd, uninstalling NOD32 fixed it. I wonder why it only stopped certain pages loading?

How do you get the title bar to reflect the accent colour?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 27, 2015